Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Durian orchard investment. Is anyone doing it?, durian orchard investment

views

TSlainux
post Jun 29 2009, 09:13 PM

On my way
650 posts

QUOTE(jiaxun @ Jun 29 2009, 02:46 PM)
And there were times where the price of oil palm dropped until RM50 per 1 tonne(1000kg). Oil palm trees is harder to take care and palm oil fruits are frequently being stolen, by outsider and also insider(worker). One of my family members have oil palm orchard.

Banana is the easiest-to-plant fruit tree and fastest growing and production of fruit. You need very little of fertilizer or not at all. Grade A and Grade B banana is being sold for RM1/kg and RM0.50/kg respectively to supplier. We have a deal with our experienced worker where he will do all the jobs and we will sell the banana, and he earn 50% from the profit.

there's no sure thing in agriculture.
1 acre land can produce how many kg of banana? easy to sell?

I heard durain also got ppl stealing!

Still hunting for my piece of land. Bentong is the best as I live in KL. Not too far, and do my resort project as well...

Added on June 29, 2009, 9:15 pm
QUOTE(cute_boboi @ Jun 29 2009, 05:43 PM)
Last Sat survey durian price in KL Chinese area.

D24 from RM10-12/kg  ohmy.gif
Musang King RM23/kg  shocking.gif

Crazy price, I did not buy any to eat. Then, I goto KL Malay area and buy kampung D24 (not pure D24) at RM6/kg. Just to taste only, not yet go all the way.

Therefore, unless you are willing to load and bring it back to KL in 4WD or lorry and sell yourself, the middlemen won't pay high price for it.
But MK is damn nice to eat! more meat than others due to small 'bullet' seed.

Added on June 29, 2009, 9:20 pm
QUOTE(jiaxun @ Jun 29 2009, 03:17 AM)
It currently belongs to my family members. I did help out during the time when the price of durian was high back then, and few years back when the price dropped tremendously(where the lowest grade of durian is 10cents/kg).

Actually, Bentong's land will be very expensive because many people from KL tends to buy the land there due to the distance factor. Perhaps you can find your land at Raub?

About the labor thingy, you can hire indons to look after your land after you've bought it. The experienced worker working for us(more than 8 years) and is given certificate by Jabatan Pertanian during the visit few months back isn't costing us more than RM1k/month.
But then, you will have to apply for permit.

There's still much for you to learn and same goes to me.
Yes, currently the price is around the range.
That is what my friend is doing, hiring indon worker, but his land too big, one man isn't enough. How big is ur land? Do u plant anything in between to max profit?

I was driving back from JB a few months ago, somewhere on the roadside, ppl were planting grass. Have u thought of that? Is selling grass a lucrative biz? Just curious.

This post has been edited by lainux: Jun 29 2009, 09:20 PM
yhtan
post Jun 29 2009, 10:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,545 posts

QUOTE(jiaxun @ Jun 29 2009, 02:46 PM)
And there were times where the price of oil palm dropped until RM50 per 1 tonne(1000kg). Oil palm trees is harder to take care and palm oil fruits are frequently being stolen, by outsider and also insider(worker). One of my family members have oil palm orchard.

Banana is the easiest-to-plant fruit tree and fastest growing and production of fruit. You need very little of fertilizer or not at all. Grade A and Grade B banana is being sold for RM1/kg and RM0.50/kg respectively to supplier. We have a deal with our experienced worker where he will do all the jobs and we will sell the banana, and he earn 50% from the profit.

there's no sure thing in agriculture.
My family are into oil palm business so we don't really worry about being stolen
is true that those worker might steal your oil palm and fertilizer too, many cases in my area and those owner is not local people, u just need someone trustable to do the job
RM50 per tonne, that price might be around early 90's or 80's, not really sure about it

Banana is easier to plant, but once infected by disease, u have to burn the whole orchard banana tree

jiaxun
post Jun 29 2009, 11:35 PM

- Wh@†Eve® - ™
1,352 posts

QUOTE(lainux @ Jun 29 2009, 09:13 PM)
1 acre land can produce how many kg of banana?  easy to sell?

Still hunting for my piece of land.  Bentong is the best as I live in KL.  Not too far, and do my resort project as well..
Erm... Don't really know about this as I don't have part in that but I thinking selling banana is easier than selling durian. Banana is recent plantation.
Yes but stealing durian isn't that common as stealing oil palm as villagers there have their own land and durian trees.

Added on June 29, 2009, 9:15 pmBut MK is damn nice to eat!  more meat than others due to small 'bullet' seed.
Still, it depends on individual taste. Some bitter D24 is very nice too.

Added on June 29, 2009, 9:20 pmThat is what my friend is doing, hiring indon worker, but his land too big, one man isn't enough.  How big is ur land?  Do u plant anything in between to max profit?

I was driving back from JB a few months ago, somewhere on the roadside, ppl were planting grass.  Have u thought of that?  Is selling grass a lucrative biz?  Just curious.
10 years ago, we did have ~3000 water apple trees in between but water apple also problematic, especially bug and easily rotten. Now mostly longkong(langsat-like fruit), banana. Mangosteen, rambutan and san lai chee(mountain laici?), only got a few. Oh ya, and some pineapple too.

We have 5 ponds sizing around 25x25 square feet each at one of the valleys with fresh water fish like pak su kong (cat fish) and few other types of fresh water fish. Turn out that this lure some of lizard which then capture by our net and became dishes on the table. Now nobody take care of the ponds so basically is just let it be the way it turns to, and have become fishing pond for our family members who are interested in fishing.

We have 3 parts of non-connected orchard, one near the main road, the other one far from main road up the mountain, another one deep into the forest, around 100 acres.

8 years back we had 2-3 workers only, now we have around 5 during durian season.

Added on June 30, 2009, 9:53 am
QUOTE(yhtan @ Jun 29 2009, 10:21 PM)
My family are into oil palm business so we don't really worry about being stolen
is true that those worker might steal your oil palm and fertilizer too, many cases in my area and those owner is not local people, u just need someone trustable to do the job
RM50 per tonne, that price might be around early 90's or 80's, not really sure about it

Banana is easier to plant, but once infected by disease, u have to burn the whole orchard banana tree
RM50 per tonne was during early 2000. And I clearly remembered that time many oil palm orchard owner chopped down their tree to replant the oil palm tree or, change to another type of plantation.

So far our banana trees grow healthily, and we sell the fruits once every 2 weeks.

This post has been edited by jiaxun: Jun 30 2009, 09:53 AM
TSlainux
post Jun 30 2009, 11:23 PM

On my way
650 posts

QUOTE(jiaxun @ Jun 29 2009, 11:35 PM)
Erm... Don't really know about this as I don't have part in that but I thinking selling banana is easier than selling durian. Banana is recent plantation.
Yes but stealing durian isn't that common as stealing oil palm as villagers there have their own land and durian trees.
Still, it depends on individual taste. Some bitter D24 is very nice too.
10 years ago, we did have ~3000 water apple trees in between but water apple also problematic, especially bug and easily rotten. Now mostly longkong(langsat-like fruit), banana. Mangosteen, rambutan and san lai chee(mountain laici?), only got a few. Oh ya, and some pineapple too.

We have 5 ponds sizing around 25x25 square feet each at one of the valleys with fresh water fish like pak su kong (cat fish) and few other types of fresh water fish. Turn out that this lure some of lizard which then capture by our net and became dishes on the table. Now nobody take care of the ponds so basically is just let it be the way it turns to, and have become fishing pond for our family members who are interested in fishing.

We have 3 parts of non-connected orchard, one near the main road, the other one far from main road up the mountain, another one deep into the forest, around 100 acres.

8 years back we had 2-3 workers only, now we have around 5 during durian season.

Added on June 30, 2009, 9:53 amRM50 per tonne was during early 2000. And I clearly remembered that time many oil palm orchard owner chopped down their tree to replant the oil palm tree or, change to another type of plantation.

So far our banana trees grow healthily, and we sell the fruits once every 2 weeks.
So, what is your thought after all these years working on your orchards? Do you think it is worth it for a durian orchard? If you plant musang king, i think u can generate enough or more to cover the mortgage payment. One thing good about Bentong is, you get 2 seasons for you durian compared to those in Penang.

100 acres.. that is quite BIG!
jiaxun
post Jul 1 2009, 09:59 AM

- Wh@†Eve® - ™
1,352 posts

QUOTE(lainux @ Jun 30 2009, 11:23 PM)
So, what is your thought after all these years working on your orchards?  Do you think it is worth it for a durian orchard?  If you plant musang king, i think u can generate enough or more to cover the mortgage payment.  One thing good about Bentong is, you get 2 seasons for you durian compared to those in Penang.

100 acres..  that is quite BIG!
There are two facts that I wish to share with you.

When the durian trees starts to flower, and you want the flowers to turn into fruit, you need bees to do the work for you and these bees are natural bees. If you're lucky and your orchard visited by a lot of bees, then you will have a lot of durian that coming season. If you're unlucky, then it would be otherwise.

Second, during flowering, if it rains heavily for few days, the flowers will be hit by the rain and fall off from tree and you can almost expect the coming season to low production of fruits, just like what happened last season and this season.

If 20 years back, I would say durian is very worth investing but now durian is so-so, cukup makan saja.

This post has been edited by jiaxun: Jul 1 2009, 11:09 AM
Raja Kunyit
post Jul 5 2009, 05:19 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(jiaxun @ Jul 1 2009, 09:59 AM)
There are two facts that I wish to share with you.

When the durian trees starts to flower, and you want the flowers to turn into fruit, you need bees to do the work for you and these bees are natural bees. If you're lucky and your orchard visited by a lot of bees, then you will have a lot of durian that coming season. If you're unlucky, then it would be otherwise.

Second, during flowering, if it rains heavily for few days, the flowers will be hit by the rain and fall off from tree and you can almost expect the coming season to low production of fruits, just like what happened last season and this season.

If 20 years back, I would say durian is very worth investing but now durian is so-so, cukup makan saja.
The current buy back price by wholesalers or agents are:

D24 - R5/kg
Raja Kunyit/Mau San Wong - RM10/kg

This is Bentong/Raub pricing.

Cheers,
TSlainux
post Jul 5 2009, 09:14 PM

On my way
650 posts

QUOTE(Raja Kunyit @ Jul 5 2009, 05:19 PM)
The current buy back price by wholesalers or agents are:

D24 - R5/kg
Raja Kunyit/Mau San Wong - RM10/kg

This is Bentong/Raub pricing.

Cheers,
That are quite low.
yhtan
post Jul 5 2009, 09:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,545 posts

QUOTE(lainux @ Jul 5 2009, 09:14 PM)
That are quite low.
that price consider quite high already
Segamat there RM2-3 per kg for D24 sweat.gif
TSlainux
post Jul 5 2009, 09:54 PM

On my way
650 posts

Just curious. Is anyone using worm compost as fertiliser? Is it good? Bought some worm for my own home use project, and chatted abit w/ the owner. He told me that worm compost is super good and cheaper than normal fertilizer. any comment?
Gen-X
post Jul 5 2009, 10:07 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

tongue.gif
1 acre land can produce how many kg of banana?  easy to sell?

Still hunting for my piece of land.  Bentong is the best as I live in KL.  Not too far, and do my resort project as well...

I was driving back from JB a few months ago, somewhere on the roadside, ppl were planting grass.  Have u thought of that?  Is selling grass a lucrative biz?  Just curious.
1 ac of land can plant about 650 berangan trees. The size of the bunches of the banana depends on many factors i.e. irrigation, type of soil, maintenance, disease etc. Some berangan bunch can go up to 20kg or more.

Banana calculation (just an example as no two farm are the same)
Let just say that all 650 trees in an acre have fruit (no wild boar attack and got proper irrigation and land preparation) and each tree produce 18kg. Market price for ex-farm RM1.2-RM1.70 (depending on area and size of banana). Therefore 1 ac banana sales = 650 x 18kg x RM1.50 = RM17,550.00. Bananas very easy to sell for all varities as supply not enough for local market.

Those interested in fruit and vegetable prices, visit link below:

http://www.famaxchange.org/

People steel anything that has value including durians, bananas and even cattle by truck loads.

Bro, still hunting for land? What is the price per ac in Bentong for orchard?

Grass also good business, as long as you got free water source then ok, well that applies to all cash crops.

As for durians, anyone facing unripe D24? Is it because of the dry season?

QUOTE(lainux @ Jul 5 2009, 09:54 PM)
Just curious.  Is anyone using worm compost as fertiliser?  Is it good?  Bought some worm for my own home use project, and chatted abit w/ the owner.  He told me that worm compost is super good and cheaper than normal fertilizer.  any comment?
The owner sure lah where got say no good. Any research data to proof his claim? Worms may improve the soil condition but I doubt it can replace fertilizers.
TSlainux
post Jul 5 2009, 10:56 PM

On my way
650 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Jul 5 2009, 10:07 PM)
tongue.gif

1 ac of land can plant about 650 berangan trees. The size of the bunches of the banana depends on many factors i.e. irrigation, type of soil, maintenance, disease etc. Some berangan bunch can go up to 20kg or more.

Banana calculation (just an example as no two farm are the same)
Let just say that all 650 trees in an acre have fruit (no wild boar attack and got proper irrigation and land preparation) and each tree produce 18kg. Market price for ex-farm RM1.2-RM1.70 (depending on area and size of banana). Therefore 1 ac banana sales = 650 x 18kg x RM1.50 = RM17,550.00. Bananas very easy to sell for all varities as supply not enough for local market.

Those interested in fruit and vegetable prices, visit link below:

http://www.famaxchange.org/

People steel anything that has value including durians, bananas and even cattle by truck loads.
Seems like a good biz for banana! But from that figure, how much profit can one see? 10k?

Bro, still hunting for land? What is the price per ac in Bentong for orchard?
Still hunting... anyone good & cheap one to recommend? Kopi on me! thumbup.gif

Grass also good business, as long as you got free water source then ok, well that applies to all cash crops.
Was thinking of some bermuda grass. US has nice grass compared to our philipine or taiwanese grass. but more maintenance.

As for durians, anyone facing unripe D24? Is it because of the dry season?
Got a friend's friend has D24 problem, unripe issue. HIs farm is in Ipoh.

The owner sure lah where got say no good. Any research data to proof his claim? Worms may improve the soil condition but I doubt it can replace fertilizers.
Worm compost is the new thing in this era, organic and cheap to produce. I am experimenting it myself at home. Will update on my progress.

Gen-X
post Jul 5 2009, 11:36 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

Seems like a good biz for banana! But from that figure, how much profit can one see? 10k?

Profit, well it depends on many factors i.e. irrigation, soil type, land preparation, type and method of fertilizer application, disease (Johor was bad recently). seedlings, etc. And say if you are employing a supervisor to take care of it in addition to indon; forget about it unless you are the supervisor or you planting 20 acres and above. Somemore after the 3rd harvest the banana gets small.

Don't get me wrong, banana is very profitable cash crop (compared to oil palm which takes a long time to recover cost more so now with land costing more) but soil and management determines your output.

For more info on fruit planting, cost and profit. Go to Mardi's book shop at Serdang.

Was thinking of some bermuda grass. US has nice grass compared to our philipine or taiwanese grass. but more maintenance.

Where's your market for bermuda? Yah bermuda colour is nice, kind of blueish green but like you said maintenance cost higher.

Worm compost is the new thing in this era, organic and cheap to produce. I am experimenting it myself at home. Will update on my progress.
If you are thinking of this as a business, better go study the market as demand not good as I was told.

TSlainux
post Jul 6 2009, 01:07 AM

On my way
650 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Jul 5 2009, 11:36 PM)
Seems like a good biz for banana!  But from that figure, how much profit can one see? 10k?

Profit, well it depends on many factors i.e. irrigation, soil type, land preparation, type and method of fertilizer application, disease (Johor was bad recently). seedlings, etc. And say if you are employing a supervisor to take care of it in addition to indon; forget about  it unless you are the supervisor or you planting 20 acres and above. Somemore after the 3rd harvest the banana gets small.

Don't get me wrong, banana is very profitable cash crop (compared to oil palm which takes a long time to recover cost more so now with land costing more)  but soil and management determines your output.

For more info on fruit planting, cost and profit. Go to Mardi's book shop at Serdang.

Was thinking of some bermuda grass.  US has nice grass compared to our philipine or taiwanese grass.  but more maintenance.

Where's your market for bermuda? Yah bermuda colour is nice, kind of blueish green but like you said maintenance cost higher.

Worm compost is the new thing in this era, organic and cheap to produce.  I am experimenting it myself at home.  Will update on my progress.
If you are thinking of this as a business, better go study the market as demand not good as I was told.
Just wanna open up some discussion on worm compost as alternative. Just curious how many ppl are doing it. In fact, i thought most orchard/farmers should be doing worm compost themselves to get cheap fertilizer.

The last time when i was shopping for land, the agent told me to plant banana, and he would help and share profit w/ me. But that piece of land was too far from the main road, i rejected that idea. He is a farmer as well, doing banana now while waiting for his rubber trees to mature.
Jupiterblue03
post Jul 6 2009, 01:26 PM

6 posts

Is Durian planting a viable commodity business? I really am not sure. I know someone who had been in the business, i heard that it is quite a mess, as the market fluctuates pretty much and distribution channels are pretty messy in around this part of Malaysia as well.
Raja Kunyit
post Jul 6 2009, 01:46 PM

12 posts

D24 at RM2-3/kg is probably a realistic figure now as it is now Durian mid-season with larger harvest. RM5/kg would be early season.

Bottomline, to make money from Durian, you either have to have a super big orchard (20hec above) or you sell the durian on your own (ie. durianSS2). Otherwise, just to break even for maintenance or enjoy them yourselves.

Vermicompost is actually now getting popular as commodity veg farms like Guthrie and SIME are going organic. Guthrie alone is comsuming 20+ tonnes of vermicompost per month. Guthrie supplies organic veg to all tesco hypermarkets. In comparison to bio-chem fertilizers, vermicompost is no where near in terms of NPK values but it has values that bio-chem fertlizer don't. First and foremost, bio-chem fertilizers will kill a plot of agri land in 3-5 years. Wherelse vermicompost will ensure sustainability in terms of nutrients and condition. By conditioning the soil, plants will have better nutrient absorption rate while maintaining health to resist fungus and bac/virus attacks.

A bio-chem farm will have to rely solely on chem pesticides to resist fungus/bac/virus. That is what we ALL are eating now....CHEMICALS. You wouldn't want to know what some irresponsible farmers are doing today. All they care is profitability. So, don't always believe that eating veg is healthy smile.gif.

Well, if you plan to own your own farm/orchard, why not start vermicomposting? I know I will....

Cheers,

This post has been edited by Raja Kunyit: Jul 6 2009, 01:48 PM
TSlainux
post Jul 6 2009, 10:33 PM

On my way
650 posts

QUOTE(Raja Kunyit @ Jul 6 2009, 01:46 PM)
D24 at RM2-3/kg is probably a realistic figure now as it is now Durian mid-season with larger harvest. RM5/kg would be early season.

Bottomline, to make money from Durian, you either have to have a super big orchard (20hec above) or you sell the durian on your own (ie. durianSS2). Otherwise, just to break even for maintenance or enjoy them yourselves.

Vermicompost is actually now getting popular as commodity veg farms like Guthrie and SIME are going organic. Guthrie alone is comsuming 20+ tonnes of vermicompost per month. Guthrie supplies organic veg to all tesco hypermarkets. In comparison to bio-chem fertilizers, vermicompost is no where near in terms of NPK values but it has values that bio-chem fertlizer don't. First and foremost, bio-chem fertilizers will kill a plot of agri land in 3-5 years. Wherelse vermicompost will ensure sustainability in terms of nutrients and condition. By conditioning the soil, plants will have better nutrient absorption rate while maintaining health to resist fungus and bac/virus attacks.

A bio-chem farm will have to rely solely on chem pesticides to resist fungus/bac/virus. That is what we ALL are eating now....CHEMICALS. You wouldn't want to know what some irresponsible farmers are doing today. All they care is profitability. So, don't always believe that eating veg is healthy smile.gif.

Well, if you plan to own your own farm/orchard, why not start vermicomposting? I know I will....

Cheers,
I am learning, just invested in 500 worms for my mini garden worm compost! Still learning....

But, buying that piece of land will be the challenge. You have any to recommend? :-)

WHat is NPK?
idunnolol
post Jul 6 2009, 10:48 PM

Regular
1,031 posts

Nitrogen potassium and phosphorus. The 3 major plant nutrient chemically. What is the species that you bought? Night crawlers or wringers?
Gen-X
post Jul 6 2009, 11:30 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(Raja Kunyit @ Jul 6 2009, 01:46 PM)

Cheers,
Guthrie is now Sime wink.gif

As for organic farming, I was told that the environment surrounding the farm is also very important for ecology thus less bugs attack on the plants (of course this can be solved with the plants under full shelter which is costly).

And I wish to add that fruits are equally heavily treated with chemicals. I love water melons but now hardly touch it sad.gif I have been to a chikunan (spelling?) mango farm and was shocked to be informed the rate he applied P&D spraying. Pineapples on the other hand has less or non pesticide application.
am_eniey
post Jul 7 2009, 09:49 AM

✿✿✿✿✿
3,314 posts

QUOTE(ykc @ May 2 2008, 05:31 PM)
why not plant oil-palm instead?
palm oil is the most stable price in this country !
Raja Kunyit
post Jul 7 2009, 10:20 AM

12 posts

QUOTE(lainux @ Jul 6 2009, 10:33 PM)
I am learning, just invested in 500 worms for my mini garden worm compost!  Still learning....

But, buying that piece of land will be the challenge.  You have any to recommend?  :-)

WHat is NPK?
If it is your dream to own the land, go ahead to do it. As long as it won't affect your financial burden to a point that you know you will be in trouble. I have the exact dream as you. Always wanted to own an orchard to tend to during my free time, having freinds to go over to lepak, etc.... Knowing that you own something is always a nice feeling. How I wish my dad left me an orchard... so now I know my children won't curse me for not handing over an orchard when I leave this world. Hahaha!

It is human nature to do a lot of calculation and consideration when we want to embark onto something. When you start calculating this and that too much, nothing will be done in the end. But then again, don't be too greedy la..smile.gif. Too big piece of a land is also sometimes a burden to maintain. The piece that I will be getting is about 5 acres. How to take care of 5 acres?.... think later.

So...if you believe you can afford it, GO FOR IT! What happens later, time will tell. At least after 30 years you won't look back and say, "Damnit, I should have bought the land"!

Cheers,

7 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0212sec    0.30    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:16 PM