Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Professional engineer status

views

cyrixMII300
post Apr 10 2008, 11:27 PM

48 posts

an IR or even PE is surely a good thing to have especially if you intend to pursue a career in design or consultancy like others have mentioned. however, it is not the be all. bear in mind though that being a PE or IR lends more credence to your abilities as an engineer since it is based on a peer review system.

whichever your decision is on this matter, make sure you at the least register with BEM and pursue your GE certification from IEM.

Added on April 10, 2008, 11:31 pm
QUOTE(bysquashy @ Apr 10 2008, 11:25 PM)
The suffix IR derives from the word Ingenieur (Dutch: Master of Science)

IR only has value in Malaysia. If you are out of the country, the value is near to zero.
what??? you have to be kidding... just for info, a registration with a professional body and as an extension of that certification as an IR is pretty much a requirement for some of the highest paying jobs in almost all parts of the world except perhaps Asia just as PMP certification is.

try to get a job with Shell, Technip, Foster Wheeler or any other major engineering company, the requirement of at least a PE is there.

This post has been edited by cyrixMII300: Apr 10 2008, 11:31 PM
cyrixMII300
post Apr 10 2008, 11:37 PM

48 posts

as far as i know, IR still remains the same to mean Ingenieur even with the 5 international member bodies. i dont think there has been any change to that.

and yes, it does carry a very big responsibility. you have to be absolutely sure of what you are doing before you put ur name somewhere and thats why its a criteria for design approvals.
cyrixMII300
post Apr 10 2008, 11:54 PM

48 posts

i'd like to clarify what i had said earlier. you need a PE or an IR to approve designs. Fresh grads DO NOT approve dwgs. and in anycase, no engineer is allowed to practice engineering without first having registered with BEM. and no one can build anything without the approval of an IR or a body of PE.

as a side note by the way, ask 100 engineers working in any industry in malaysia if they are engineers they will say yes but ask BEM how many of them are, they would probably tell you 30 to 40 because thats how many bother to actually register.

yes japan will accept the IR certification from Malaysia and so would Europe and the rest of the world as a recognition but all of them require any foreign engineers working in their particular country to sit for and pass an exam which is designed to gauge their knowledge of local regulations only and not their abilities as an engineer.

Malaysian IEM is a charter organization of the international council and therefore Msian engineers need to do this. when and once Malaysia is accepted as full member then even this would not be required.
cyrixMII300
post Apr 11 2008, 12:16 AM

48 posts

QUOTE(iDk @ Apr 11 2008, 12:05 AM)
As i know, Malaysia called it IR, USA called it PE, and so on with other countries will have their own title of professional engineer. Which mean if you are IR at Malaysia, and you go to USA, you cannot call yourself professional engineer unless you receive title from them. So basically IR only worth value in Malaysia. But again, you should compare the IR title with other professional certificate, i think those certificates are much more useful and help a lot in career.
try and read the following

http://www.engc.org.uk/news/default.aspx

http://www.engc.org.uk/international/about...E_register.aspx

http://www.engc.org.uk/international/inter...nal_bodies.aspx

http://www.ieagreements.com/APEC/

really i suggest one to read this before commenting further. IR is used internationally and as I have mentioned earlier you need to sit for qualification exams for certains charters.

we in europe at least need to be accredited as Eur IR before being able to work cross border across EU to approve designs. and having been in South America, I also know for a fact that IR is also the accreditation norm there although the enforcement is somewhat weak.

you are correct though about US and their accreditation system but then again americans dont adhere much to any of the engineering norms of the international bodies.

This post has been edited by cyrixMII300: Apr 11 2008, 12:20 AM
cyrixMII300
post Apr 16 2008, 04:39 PM

48 posts

idK<<< its obvious this person does not know heads or tails about what he is talking about. what can one expect of a simpleton?

they google it or wiki it and they think they know everything there is to know.

hey buddy, if you really want to understand better that which you dont understand, perhaps i can arrange for a meeting with a couple of friends of mine who are either PE or IRs or maybe i can come over during my holidays and explain it better to you as an EUR IR. what you say huh?

This post has been edited by cyrixMII300: Apr 16 2008, 04:43 PM
cyrixMII300
post Apr 22 2008, 06:23 AM

48 posts

QUOTE(iDk @ Apr 16 2008, 10:17 PM)
Oh, ok... So do you have an IR in Malaysia?
yes. would you like to meet and verify? let me know when mate. nod.gif we can meet up over at IEM building

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.28    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:11 AM