Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Possible to learn piano by self?

views

Ryuuga
post Nov 10 2007, 12:49 AM

Guitarist Unlimited
677 posts

QUOTE(lazo @ Nov 9 2007, 05:41 PM)
is there any low-end or cheap or lelong piano to buy?  how much is it will be? rm100+- ?
is piano = keyboard?
Lol pasar malam got the toy one RM5 only =P
You can't get a piano for RM100+ dude. You want piano/keyboard at least RM1000 and that is second hand. RM2000 would be a very low end one. My electric piano is RM4k. Still ok ok only. So if you really wanna learn piano, you gotta be willing to spend that kind of effort to learn or all those money will go to waste. But hey, no one said music was cheap right?
My tip to you, if your budget is RM100+ go get a beginner yamaha guitar. Thats enough to kao lui if thats your intention.

Anyways, TS sound very much like myself. I learned at 8 and stopped at 13. By that time i was already grade 6. I could go on and finish grade 8 but i didn't. I couldn't stand playing pieces after pieces of exam songs year after year after year. But that wasn't the only reason, i also couldn't stand not being able to sight-read. even after 5 years of playing, i couldn't read the notes. I felt it was miserable and gave up.
Luckily, my parents allowed me to give up piano for the time being. But they said never to abandon music, it was just in my blood, since i was born ive been good with it, my parents told me. So then i proposed to my father i'd learn the guitar. He took the effort to choose a nice guitar, and by fate met an amazing teacher which brought me till today.
My dad and my teacher influenced me alot and since then, i've dreamed to become a musician.

Anyways, thats my life story. I'm 17 now and like TS would like to re-learn piano by myself. Any tips on sight-reading anyone?

Sorry to have spammed your thread with my life story haha ^^
lazo
post Nov 10 2007, 11:16 AM

Civil Engineer
797 posts

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=221370

user posted image

i asked the TS he told me that this one is rm850

biggrin.gif time to save some money.. rm850 seems ok as all of you here mentioned that most of them are 2k +++

Sky.Live
post Nov 10 2007, 02:04 PM

Proctected Species
4,383 posts

All the best there, although i dont really recommend M-audio as i feel the key were quite jerky, for the price you cant really complain much...

I am very sure you will try to save up more once to upgrade you start to learn..

In your case, i think you were talking you trying to learn keyboards/synthesizer side, which is more towards accompany and creating sounds i think.. A real piano is not cheap.. But a keyboard can play what a piano does too not vice versa.

I am not sure what's the role of a keyboardist in a band, maybe playing chords and accompany? Usually guitar will be the lead?

http://www.telacommunications.com/nutshell...ic/musicres.htm
Cover most useful chords here, should be useful for you to start out.
Ryuuga
post Nov 10 2007, 02:49 PM

Guitarist Unlimited
677 posts

QUOTE(Sky.Live @ Nov 10 2007, 02:04 PM)
All the best there, although i dont really recommend M-audio as i feel the key were quite jerky, for the price you cant really complain much...

I am very sure you will try to save up more once to upgrade you start to learn..

In your case, i think you were talking you trying to learn keyboards/synthesizer side, which is more towards accompany and creating sounds i think.. A real piano is not cheap.. But a keyboard can play what a piano does too not vice versa.

I am not sure what's the role of a keyboardist in a band, maybe playing chords and accompany? Usually guitar will be the lead?

It is wrong to think that guitars usually lead in the band. I like to say, a good band always has a keyboardist. Take Dream Theater for example. Keyboardist not only accompanies but usually adds extra effects/synth to give an extra feeling to the song. Take a small solo riff for example, when people hear the song, they will also remember the small keyboard riff despite being only a small part of the whole song.
This shows that every instrument in the band is important to produce a solid song, not only the guitar =)

@lazo, if you really want to take this seriously, and willing to spend, id recommend you consider buying a medium end keyboard. Buying an RM800 one is like buying a kapok guitar =/ no offense
Sky.Live
post Nov 10 2007, 06:20 PM

Proctected Species
4,383 posts

QUOTE(Ryuuga @ Nov 10 2007, 02:49 PM)
It is wrong to think that guitars usually lead in the band. I like to say, a good band always has a keyboardist. Take Dream Theater for example. Keyboardist not only accompanies but usually adds extra effects/synth to give an extra feeling to the song. Take a small solo riff for example, when people hear the song, they will also remember the small keyboard riff despite being only a small part of the whole song.
This shows that every instrument in the band is important to produce a solid song, not only the guitar =)

@lazo, if you really want to take this seriously, and willing to spend, id recommend you consider buying a medium end keyboard. Buying an RM800 one is like buying a kapok guitar =/ no offense
will be able to last around 1 year perhaps for that keyboard to familiarize all basic theories i think..
I never play in a band before.. not sure about that..

if he is really serious about it, he will upgrade it soon or later..
lazo
post Nov 10 2007, 06:46 PM

Civil Engineer
797 posts

Ah, thanks for all the advices!! it really gives me a clearer image of piano-ing.

indeed, being a spm-taker, i will have about 6 months of holidays after my exam, so i'm looking for something new to learn. i not actually like those rock music or getting involved in bands (but maybe i'll after i get addicted? xD) , but more on soloing some classic music when i'm at home for leisure or playing some latest song which can "impress" my friends (let it be chinese or english songs, jay's~ leehom's~ or when i getting pro can play maksim songs? drool.gif ) *actually i wanted to play some love song for my brother in his wedding next yr biggrin.gif *

the kaolui purpose i mentioned in a few post earlier is just joking la~ but learning new thing is great, isnt it? life long learning ma thumbup.gif =D

perhaps i shall pay a visit to some music stores nearby and check with the price.

This post has been edited by lazo: Nov 10 2007, 06:58 PM
soraxroxas
post Nov 11 2007, 01:25 AM

Getting Started
170 posts

QUOTE(Sky.Live @ Nov 10 2007, 02:04 PM)

KEyboard veri Important dude. go think back ur CHILDHOOD, remember the POKEMON THEME SONG??! Without the keyboard it will just sound PLAIN.^^
QUOTE(lazo @ Nov 10 2007, 06:46 PM)
Ah, thanks for all the advices!! it really gives me a clearer image of piano-ing.

indeed, being a spm-taker, i will have about 6 months of holidays after my exam, so i'm looking for something new to learn. i not actually like those rock music or getting involved in bands (but maybe i'll after i get addicted? xD) , but more on soloing some classic music when i'm at home for leisure or playing some latest song which can "impress" my friends (let it be chinese or english songs, jay's~ leehom's~ or when i getting pro can play maksim songs?  drool.gif ) *actually i wanted to play some love song for my brother in his wedding next yr biggrin.gif *

the kaolui purpose i mentioned in a few post earlier is just joking la~ but learning new thing is great, isnt it? life long learning ma  thumbup.gif =D

perhaps i shall pay a visit to some music stores nearby and check with the price.
hhmm, takes 2-3 months to learn the basics( It will take longer if u lelong, but if u are serious ,and practise 2-5 hours aday,*ur free right??* u wil get the hang of it )

in that 2-3 months, first learn easy pieces * go any music school and pick the bigginer book or take a few months of lesson* then straight away practise ur song, PRACTISES IT EVERYDAY, and i tell u wat, playing piano is like miracle happen

Example( real life experince)

today u play this part, play like shyt, SHYT SHYT!! no matter how hard u try but just seem that u cant achieve it, BUT U MUST KEEP ON PLAYING NO MATTER HOW HARD IS IT!

the next day u touch that part again ,it wil just seem perfect( serious) its like the brain interpret the data during ur sleep!!!

so good luck!!

*i guess u are really serious cause u take the effort to search for a keyboard thumbup.gif good luck again dude!*

Ryuuga
post Nov 11 2007, 09:50 AM

Guitarist Unlimited
677 posts

QUOTE(lazo @ Nov 10 2007, 06:46 PM)
indeed, being a spm-taker, i will have about 6 months of holidays after my exam, so i'm looking for something new to learn. i not actually like those rock music or getting involved in bands (but maybe i'll after i get addicted? xD) , but more on soloing some classic music when i'm at home for leisure or playing some latest song which can "impress" my friends (let it be chinese or english songs, jay's~ leehom's~ or when i getting pro can play maksim songs?  drool.gif ) *actually i wanted to play some love song for my brother in his wedding next yr biggrin.gif *
Lol im entering college right after spm, can't wait really. I need to achieve my dream!! xD So spm is nothing for me =P
Neways good luck with keyboarding~ ^^
PetroToxin
post Nov 11 2007, 10:09 AM

Regular
1,179 posts

About keyboards, Keyboards is a extremely versatile instrument.. It can play a whole load of stuff and types of music.. Provided you have a reasonable keyboard. sweat.gif

But on the other hand, a acoustic piano (Not electronic) has the more natural feel and sound. Everything comes with a price, you pay for what you get.

Just my 2 cents smile.gif
kok_hui
post Nov 11 2007, 10:30 AM

Casual
439 posts

If you guys want to learn piano, first of all you must get a real piano, not a keyboard, keyboard will never like a piano, you can't learn much using it, unless u just want to play some simple pop songs. And if u can afford, don't buy any 2nd hand or recond piano, because the sound is not good already, that will spoil ur learning, especially beginners, so prepare to spend 10K++ for the piano if u are serious. Learning piano never be cheap, so if u are poor, learn guitar is better and guitar is easier to kaolui also.

This post has been edited by kok_hui: Nov 11 2007, 12:10 PM
Ryuuga
post Nov 11 2007, 11:17 AM

Guitarist Unlimited
677 posts

I agree with kok_hui, getting a low end instrument when you're a beginner will spoil your learning if you are serious about it ^^ lol 10k++ for keyboard, i think you meant piano >_>
yngwie
post Nov 11 2007, 11:33 AM

| Ðøñ'¯|¯ G|v€ Â ÐðmÑ!
3,092 posts

QUOTE(Hell Fire @ Nov 3 2007, 12:57 AM)
Hi guys, new to this forum, i learn't organ for about 3 years when i'm 7, stopped at 10 y/o, now i'm 17 y/o, is it possible to learn by self?
since you already has a basic knowledge, i think it is quite possible.
either you learn by ear; by listening to the play and then figure out their notes and try to play by yourself.
or, learn by reading a notes, follow according to chords book as what i used to do thumbup.gif

it's all depend your willingness to learn.
good luck.
kok_hui
post Nov 11 2007, 12:25 PM

Casual
439 posts

QUOTE(Ryuuga @ Nov 11 2007, 11:17 AM)
I agree with kok_hui, getting a low end instrument when you're a beginner will spoil your learning if you are serious about it ^^ lol 10k++ for keyboard, i think you meant piano >_>
Oops, typed wrong, 10K++ for piano of course, not keyboard. Beginners really shouldn't use a low end piano to learn, because that will affect ur ability to catch the correct sound of the piano. After u master the piano skill, then u can use any piano or keyboard to play. In my opinion, keyboard is for ppl who already know piano to play, for start, ppl should go to learn piano, not to learn playing keyboard. Spending 10K on piano is better than using the money to upgrade pc every year, because good piano can last very long time, besides, an expensive piano can make u more serious on learning the piano also.
lazo
post Nov 11 2007, 01:20 PM

Civil Engineer
797 posts

yea, but however i'm going other state to study and it is not possible for me to carry a piano with me right >_<
PetroToxin
post Nov 11 2007, 01:22 PM

Regular
1,179 posts

I agree with kok_hui, a piano is actually a form of a lifetime investment.
Not many people can afford to upgrade often sweat.gif

So getting a good piano at the beginning stage is the best choice.
Sky.Live
post Nov 11 2007, 06:33 PM

Proctected Species
4,383 posts

QUOTE(PetroToxin @ Nov 11 2007, 01:22 PM)
I agree with kok_hui, a piano is actually a form of a lifetime investment.
Not many people can afford to upgrade often sweat.gif
So getting a good piano at the beginning stage is the best choice.
what if you lost interest or unable to continue.... you might argue it's up to your determination but things like that does happen.. Spending 10k+ on an acoustic piano, + further tuning every few times in a year, parts to be replace in few years once.. A piano can also be described as a rich man toy..

Further more, even ABRSM has recognised significant of digital pianos nowadays even in classical music examinations, i dont think an acoustic piano is a MUST in this case. It's cheaper to buy and maintain, space saving and some even have function assisting your learning path.

The harsh fact is also that to archive level of professional concert pianist, to begin at age of 17 it might already consider too late.

A good keyboard, any stage piano or digital keyboard, having midi input, you can actually connect it to a pc and play almost every sound you want, as well as learning some arrangement..
lazo
post Nov 11 2007, 08:12 PM

Civil Engineer
797 posts

i'm not going for the [ professional concert pianist ] level la~

just playing for leisure >_<

learn more thing can make myself feel more contented biggrin.gif

but i got a noob question, will those digital keyboard like our computer keyboard.. which some cannot press more than 3 or 4 button at the same time? >_< some keyboard only can press up to 3 button at the same time.. and this messed up the o2jamming >_<
led_zep_freak
post Nov 11 2007, 08:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,231 posts

QUOTE(lazo @ Nov 10 2007, 11:16 AM)
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=221370
i asked the TS he told me that this one is rm850

biggrin.gif time to save some money.. rm850 seems ok as all of you here mentioned that most of them are 2k +++
Dude, don't forget that you need a computer with a decent soundcard to run this thing. And then you need a software modeler such as the True Pianos (Check out the audio clips here: http://www.truepianos.com/demos.php) for a good piano sound.

Nonetheless, you will definitely need not to spend more than RM2k if you take the Computer/MIDI route. smile.gif

Plus, there're lots of free modelers out there such as the NuBi B3 Hammond Organ for you to play with. smile.gif

Note: Those of you planning to go for the MIDI route, please do your research to ensure it fits your needs and you thoroughly understand how they work. smile.gif

Added on November 11, 2007, 8:33 pm
QUOTE(lazo @ Nov 11 2007, 08:12 PM)
but i got a noob question, will those digital keyboard like our computer keyboard.. which some cannot press more than 3 or 4 button at the same time? >_< some keyboard only can press up to 3 button at the same time.. and this messed up the o2jamming >_<
Nope, I don't think they would. biggrin.gif MIDI signals are lightweight after all. smile.gif Search Youtube for some user vids smile.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjGGjJtRhUg

This post has been edited by led_zep_freak: Nov 11 2007, 08:35 PM
lazo
post Nov 11 2007, 09:43 PM

Civil Engineer
797 posts

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Keys...n88es-main.html

this caught my attention, perhaps it is around 1.5k. and it is bundle with software which can

includes Ableton Live Lite music production software, so you can make music right away
user posted image

perhaps this one should be fine for me as a begineer biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by lazo: Nov 11 2007, 09:49 PM
kok_hui
post Nov 11 2007, 11:32 PM

Casual
439 posts

QUOTE(lazo @ Nov 11 2007, 09:43 PM)
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Keys...n88es-main.html

this caught my attention, perhaps it is around 1.5k. and it is bundle with software which can
user posted image

perhaps this one should be fine for me as a begineer biggrin.gif
This is not a piano, it's a controller, beginners should use a acoustic or digital piano (with stand and pedals and can output sound by itself one). Controller is for pro piano player who want to create different kind of sounds using the PC.

This post has been edited by kok_hui: Nov 12 2007, 12:02 AM

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0202sec    0.84    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:06 PM