Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Home Networking What are the disadvantages of modified 4G router?, For unlimited hotspot service plan

views

TSkheechun
post Jan 24 2023, 12:55 PM, updated 2y ago

Custom member title
544 posts

Hi, I currently have unlimited hotspot plan from Maxis. I'm trying to put a sim card into a 4G/5G modem so that I get WiFi at home without draining my phone battery. A search in online shopping sites showed many unlocked/modified modems. May I know if there is any disadvantage of these unlocked/modified modems compared to the original ones?
Will there be speed and stability issue especially?
failed.hashcheck
post Jan 24 2023, 02:40 PM

Neighborhood plant pathologist
2,006 posts

They totally know you are using modified devices, and at any time they could decide its the end of it - and blacklist your device or worse, your account. And they have every rights to do so.
QuantumEdge
post Jan 24 2023, 04:47 PM

Regular
1,147 posts

YES would block your sim card if you use modified device, so...
blacktubi
post Jan 25 2023, 11:15 AM

-
Group Icon
Elite
7,508 posts

The telcos are getting smarter and they are blocking IMEI of modems now. Once blocked, it will never work with the telco again.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
Paradigmata
post Feb 4 2023, 06:24 PM

Getting Started
216 posts

QUOTE(QuantumEdge @ Jan 24 2023, 04:47 PM)
YES would block your sim card if you use modified device, so...
Block sim means the ISP is terminating their service on their side, so how can they collect monthly subscription fee?

QUOTE(blacktubi @ Jan 25 2023, 11:15 AM)
The telcos are getting smarter and they are blocking IMEI of modems now. Once blocked, it will never work with the telco again.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
Block for what?

It is legal to block imei without like court order or investigation report etc?

Imei can easily change in modify modem

How it solves the jack sparrow issue?
PRSXFENG
post Feb 4 2023, 09:26 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(Paradigmata @ Feb 4 2023, 06:24 PM)
Block sim means the ISP is terminating their service on their side, so how can they collect monthly subscription fee?
Block for what?

It is legal to block imei without like court order or investigation report etc?

Imei can easily change in modify modem

How it solves the jack sparrow issue?
well, they would rather lose you as a customer than let you abuse and use many GBs worth of data hogging up their network on a plan meant for mobile use.

as for blocking imei, i dunno
yes its easy to change but not sure on how legal that is
(dont think it is)
LemonJane
post Mar 1 2023, 08:08 PM

suli0206
1,073 posts

I also have a question but about wifi mobile router. I'm looking for one to take with me for travel to Taiwan and Japan later in the year. I have also noticed there are "modified" or "unlocked"router. A seller said i have to make sure that my sim-plan allows to use on non-modified modem and can do hotspot.
What is the meaning of "non-modified" modem?
I have asked the seller to explain but he's not answering

This post has been edited by LemonJane: Mar 1 2023, 08:09 PM
PRSXFENG
post Mar 1 2023, 09:11 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(LemonJane @ Mar 1 2023, 08:08 PM)
I also have a question but about wifi mobile router.  I'm looking for one to take with me for travel to Taiwan and Japan later in the year. I have also noticed there are "modified" or "unlocked"router.  A seller said i have to make sure that my sim-plan allows to use on non-modified modem and can do hotspot.
What is the meaning of "non-modified" modem?
I have asked the seller to explain but he's not answering
Basically a non modified modem is a legit modem from a well known brand that works as expected, allows you to use a sim card to get online

now, telcos here that offer unlimited plans usually block those sim cards from being used in modems because the usage when shared is going to be much higher than you using it in youir phone

modified ones trick your sim/teclo into thinking its being used on your phone so that the unlimited plan can be shared
with that said they do have methods to detect it and high data usage will probaby raise suspicions

for your use case of roaming... some roaming providers will give you a modem and you give it back to them at the end
could consider that instead of buying your own

This post has been edited by PRSXFENG: Mar 1 2023, 09:12 PM
LemonJane
post Mar 2 2023, 09:46 AM

suli0206
1,073 posts

QUOTE(PRSXFENG @ Mar 1 2023, 09:11 PM)
Basically a non modified modem is a legit modem from a well known brand that works as expected, allows you to use a sim card to get online

now, telcos here that offer unlimited plans usually block those sim cards from being used in modems because the usage when shared is going to be much higher than you using it in youir phone

modified ones trick your sim/teclo into thinking its being used on your phone so that the unlimited plan can be shared
with that said they do have methods to detect it and high data usage will probaby raise suspicions

for your use case of roaming... some roaming providers will give you a modem and you give it back to them at the end
could consider that instead of buying your own
Ah...thanks for the explanation. Yes I know we can rent WiFi device for use outside Malaysia, thought it will be cheaper if I have my own device so hubby and I can share WiFi.
I know if I just buy a sim card, we can also share WiFi by hotspot but the phone battery doesn't last a day.
Since I'm using it overseas it won't matter whether it's modified or not modified I suppose, am I right?

PRSXFENG
post Mar 2 2023, 01:54 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(LemonJane @ Mar 2 2023, 09:46 AM)
Ah...thanks for the explanation. Yes I know we can rent WiFi device for use outside Malaysia, thought it will be cheaper if I have my own device so hubby and I can share WiFi.
I know if I just buy a sim card, we can also share WiFi by hotspot but the phone battery doesn't last a day.
Since I'm using it overseas it won't matter whether it's modified or not modified I suppose, am I right?
best you ask the provider of the roaming sim if they allow it or not

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0119sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:40 AM