Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Post-NICU: How to take care of premature babies?, Need advice on first baby

views

TSunderscore_lee
post Dec 23 2022, 07:39 PM, updated 2y ago

Getting Started
179 posts

Hi all daddy and mommy,

Need some help and advice if you can share similar experience. My premature baby is now in NICU @ Tunku Azizah Hospital aka HKL.

According to the nurse, once the baby discharge from NICU, they will be sent to “the ward” for further monitoring in terms of weight gain, temperature and etc.

During this “ward” journey, the mom is advised to stay at the govt hospital together with the baby so that nurse can teach first time mommy how to breastfeed, change diapers, and check on premature baby conditions as they’re more fragile compared to full term.

The “ward” stay duration will depend on how baby’s condition, and the nurse will guide and teach mommy until they can “graduate”.

Any parents been through this? Want to know how’s the arrangement like - Do you need to stay in hospital throughout the journey? Or can it be like go in the morning and back at night? Is there a private room we can book for the baby + mother? How do you pump for milk storage if it’s gonna be a shared/communal area?

Much appreciated if you can share your premature baby experience. Helpful to prep mentally and physically.

Thanks!
RA_2366
post Dec 24 2022, 05:01 PM

27 posts

QUOTE(underscore_lee @ Dec 23 2022, 07:39 PM)
Hi all daddy and mommy,

Need some help and advice if you can share similar experience. My premature baby is now in NICU @ Tunku Azizah Hospital aka HKL.

According to the nurse, once the baby discharge from NICU, they will be sent to “the ward” for further monitoring in terms of weight gain, temperature and etc.

During this “ward” journey, the mom is advised to stay at the govt hospital together with the baby so that nurse can teach first time mommy how to breastfeed, change diapers, and check on premature baby conditions as they’re more fragile compared to full term.

The “ward” stay duration will depend on how baby’s condition, and the nurse will guide and teach mommy until they can “graduate”.

Any parents been through this? Want to know how’s the arrangement like - Do you need to stay in hospital throughout the journey? Or can it be like go in the morning and back at night? Is there a private room we can book for the baby + mother? How do you pump for milk storage if it’s gonna be a shared/communal area?

Much appreciated if you can share your premature baby experience. Helpful to prep mentally and physically.

Thanks!
Normally, the mother will be discharged first from the hospital. Once the baby is stable enough (ie: they have reached certain weight, oxygen is stable, feeding is ok, etc), they will call the mother to spend 1 night with the baby to ensure that the baby can properly latch before they release the baby from NICU.

I don’t think there is a private room at NICU. Should be a shared area.
seather
post Jan 17 2023, 12:56 PM

xXxXxXxXx
1,292 posts

QUOTE(underscore_lee @ Dec 23 2022, 07:39 PM)
Hi all daddy and mommy,

Thanks!
my twins r premie @ 27 weeks.. stayed in NIC for around 11 weeks..

during the 11 weeks the nurse on duty allow us to visit any time for kangaroo care, plus bath, change and feed them.. the nurses will train us from the side..

3 days before discharge my wife move into a private room and nurse let the twins sleep with her.. (one by one of course).. and during that time try to bath, feed and cloth them herself..

mine is a private hospital so the SOP might be different..

This post has been edited by seather: Jan 18 2023, 11:45 AM
TSunderscore_lee
post Jan 18 2023, 10:31 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

QUOTE(seather @ Jan 17 2023, 12:56 PM)
my twins r premie @ 27 weeks.. stayed in NIC for around 11 weeks..

during the 11 weeks the nurse on duty allow us to visit any time for kangaroo care, plus bath, change and feed them.. the nurses will train us from the side..

3 days before discharge my wife move into a private room and nurse let the twins sleep with her.. (one by one of course).. and during that time try to  bath, feed and cloth them herself..

mine is a private hospital so the SOP might be different..
Very nice bro, thanks for sharing your experience. Mine is a govt hospital, a lot restrictions sad.gif

Even for daily visits, the father can only visit from 430-630pm. Mother can visit anytime. Damn mafan cuz working and the traffic jam home is so bad.

Glad to hear your twins are strong & healthy!
seather
post Jan 19 2023, 11:45 AM

xXxXxXxXx
1,292 posts

QUOTE(underscore_lee @ Jan 18 2023, 10:31 PM)
Very nice bro, thanks for sharing your experience. Mine is a govt hospital, a lot restrictions sad.gif

Even for daily visits, the father can only visit from 430-630pm. Mother can visit anytime. Damn mafan cuz working and the traffic jam home is so bad.

Glad to hear your twins are strong & healthy!
ur baby has any complication at the moment?

NICU main goal is to allow the baby to continue growing and to treat any complication before discharge..
if the complication is long term, then nurse will teach u how to handle it.. i know premies who went home with oxygen tank..

for me
twin 1 totally fine when discharge -> so just take care like normal
twin 2 had reflux issues that will cause chocking to the airway -> so nurse taught us how to handle it

and since it is a private hospital. my twins are allow to stay as long as i can pay.. (average RM1k per day)
so their doctor set a goal of two weeks without complication before discharging them..

B0ss_ku
post Jan 23 2023, 11:41 PM

Getting Started
185 posts

QUOTE(seather @ Jan 19 2023, 11:45 AM)
ur baby has any complication at the moment?

NICU main goal is to allow the baby to continue growing and to treat any complication before discharge..
if the complication is long term, then nurse will teach u how to handle it.. i know premies who went home with oxygen tank..

for me
twin 1 totally fine when discharge -> so just take care like normal
twin 2 had reflux issues that will cause chocking to the airway -> so nurse taught us how to handle it

and since it is a private hospital. my twins are allow to stay as long as i can pay.. (average RM1k per day)
so their doctor set a goal of two weeks without complication before discharging them..
11 weeks =77days x1k

77k?
B0ss_ku
post Jan 28 2023, 04:23 AM

Getting Started
185 posts

Buy jaundice light in advance

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0133sec    0.52    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:26 PM