Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Why Does Our Telco Want to Sell Quota Based Plans, Yet Only Wants Us to Use In Phones?

views

pcdoctor_my
post Oct 18 2022, 10:50 AM

Shift Xtreme
800 posts

QUOTE(choonster @ Oct 17 2022, 10:28 PM)
I'm subscribed to hotlink RM35 unlimited 3mbps + RM5 hotspot in my tplink modem. The internet speed was terrible, only few hundred kbps. I was made to understand by the customer care that their simcard is meant for use in a phone & not a modem. So long as it worked in a phone, it is deemed there's no issue with the internet speed. I resulted to a partial refund after a long chat with them. To me, it kinda defeat the purpose of offering unlimited data with such restrictions.
Telling Maxis that you are using it on a modem is akin like - "Hey I stole your wallet, now I'm using your money rclxs0.gif " .
Using mod modems is already underground business. Like Astro and Android Box are enemies of the state.
thats why Customer care tells you sim card is for phone only , even with legit hotspot. Cant blame them either. They are told by their 'bosses' not to encourage customers to use it on Modems.

FYI I have experimented before Hotlink Unlimited on my modded modem W/O Hotspot option (Will decline to say what model is it, just in case Maxis is spying) , yes it worked, able to hit 3Mbps sometimes , not KBps, but due to constant shitty coverage and slowness in my area, I took it out .

Best way? Throw away that SIM card, and get other telcos apart from Maxis.

TSpetpenyubobo
post Oct 18 2022, 09:03 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(choonster @ Oct 17 2022, 10:58 PM)
I found Celcom mix & match RM35 - 30gb high speed internet which seem to be a good deal. Unfortunately, I was made known it couldn't be used in a modem for hotspot purpose, so it's not just those "unlimited plan" that has restriction in hotspot ... Now I am confused how to get a suitable simcard for 4g router for hotspot purpose ..
Until now Celcom and its MVNOs including Unifi Mobile Bebas Prepaid remains unaffected by this implementation of new 5G restrictions yet. But *touchwood it's a matter of time they'll since telcos in Malaysia are notoriously sly and nasty. You see recently how many news some of their top management involved in scandals as such and you see the very same faces hopping around from one company to another.

QUOTE(GameSky @ Oct 17 2022, 11:58 PM)
the only proper sim can used on modem afaik is maxis one? havent tried, quota afaik is 300GB
All the higher tiered wireless 4G plans which costs more than monthly fibre plans (RM89) above range is still unaffected.

For those who are subscribing to Maxis 4G Home WiFi or their Maxis One Plan with Fibre Plan attached you're already paying more than RM150 per month. That is why they're not disturbing these high value customers.

QUOTE(NO1K @ Oct 18 2022, 10:15 AM)
Just use TuneTalk RM35:35GB, no restriction in hotspot.

Let me know if you are interested, I can deliver the sim card to you for free including shipping fee. You just need to pay RM35 for the plan.
Celcom and all its MVNOs remain unaffected till now but don't be too confident just yet they might soon join the bad side if the public still remain unaware of the dirty new tactic they started pulling.

QUOTE(NO1K @ Oct 18 2022, 10:17 AM)
Lately they became more and more tricky, including misleading users with so call "Unlimited" terms.

For me as a dealer, I have to go through every hidden terms and conditions, too troublesome.
The latest Hotlink plan says Unlimited Hotspot including Data and Calls.

If I place the SIM in the phone and turn on hotspot sharing or place it in a dedicated modem what difference does it makes? Aren't we all already subjected to a 50GB FUP? Not enough?

It's misleading and very dishonest to their customers.

QUOTE(peja5081 @ Oct 18 2022, 10:29 AM)
Im still using Yes 100GB with modem without problem. Top speed around 50Mbps. I don't know why you cant.
Dare telling us which modem you're using? It won't be long once they finds out your modem IMEI and MAC ID will be put on blacklist and deprioritized by YES. Later don't cry ya and go complainning to YES. They'll just give you standard script reply saying your device is "NOT" in their supported device list. Thanks to 5G new network features. laugh.gif
TSpetpenyubobo
post Oct 18 2022, 09:09 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(pcdoctor_my @ Oct 18 2022, 10:50 AM)
Telling Maxis that you are using it on a modem is akin like - "Hey I stole your wallet, now I'm using your money  rclxs0.gif " .
Using mod modems is already underground business. Like Astro and Android Box are enemies of the state.
thats why Customer care tells you sim card is for phone only , even with legit hotspot. Cant blame them either. They are told by their 'bosses' not to encourage customers to use it on Modems.

FYI I have experimented before Hotlink Unlimited on my modded modem W/O Hotspot option (Will decline to say what model is it, just in case Maxis is spying) , yes it worked, able to hit 3Mbps sometimes , not KBps, but due to constant shitty coverage and slowness in my area, I took it out .

Best way? Throw away that SIM card, and get other telcos apart from Maxis.
What's wrong with using a modded modem when you're paying for a quota based plan? That's not stealing I pay for each and every GB of data. Also aren't we all subjected to their hidden 50GB FUP which throttles us down to unbearable speeds?

For your case your slowness and unstable connection may be due to their network deprioritizing your device because it's not in their supported list of device. Do not underestimate the new security features of the 5G network. You might be completely blocked or you may still connect but you'll noticed that your BYO device doesn't work as it should despite good signal reception full bars or such but still getting very slow speeds like 1Mbps. then when you switch over to a supported phone suddenly the speed rises more than 10 folds. You'll know something is not right after that.
!@#$%^
post Oct 19 2022, 03:21 PM

Safe Trader
All Stars
16,627 posts

phone and broadband plan different
TSpetpenyubobo
post Oct 19 2022, 09:50 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(!@#$%^ @ Oct 19 2022, 03:21 PM)
phone and broadband plan different
I tell you why ler. It's the ARPU secret that makes the difference.

Maxis does not restrict its Maxis ONE unlimited SIMs and its 4G Home WiFi from being placed into dedicated modems. Their Maxis ONE plan costs no less than (RM89+RM99) hile 4G Home WiFi costs RM138 minus SST.
YES Wireless Fibre plan costs RM148 minus SST. These are all what they regard as HIGH value plans which translates to big revenues for them.

You think they'll allow cheap sub RM50 unlimited prepaid plans to achieve the same purpose? Then no one will subscribe to their expensive unrestricted wireless broadband plans after this or sign long term contracts will do.

It's about protecting their ARPU.
!@#$%^
post Oct 19 2022, 10:05 PM

Safe Trader
All Stars
16,627 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Oct 19 2022, 09:50 PM)
I tell you why ler. It's the ARPU secret that makes the difference.

Maxis does not restrict its Maxis ONE unlimited SIMs and its 4G Home WiFi from being placed into dedicated modems. Their Maxis ONE plan costs no less than (RM89+RM99) hile 4G Home WiFi costs RM138 minus SST.
YES Wireless Fibre plan costs RM148 minus SST. These are all what they regard as HIGH value plans which translates to big revenues for them.

You think they'll allow cheap sub RM50 unlimited prepaid plans to achieve the same purpose? Then no one will subscribe to their expensive unrestricted wireless broadband plans after this or sign long term contracts will do.

It's about protecting their ARPU.
of course. business out to make money, not charity.
peja5081
post Oct 24 2022, 10:44 AM

Getting Started
288 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Oct 18 2022, 09:03 PM)
Until now Celcom and its MVNOs including Unifi Mobile Bebas Prepaid remains unaffected by this implementation of new 5G restrictions yet. But *touchwood it's a matter of time they'll since telcos in Malaysia are notoriously sly and nasty. You see recently how many news some of their top management involved in scandals as such and you see the very same faces hopping around from one company to another.
All the higher tiered wireless 4G plans which costs more than monthly fibre plans (RM89) above range is still unaffected.

For those who are subscribing to Maxis 4G Home WiFi or their Maxis One Plan with Fibre Plan attached you're already paying more than RM150 per month. That is why they're not disturbing these high value customers.
Celcom and all its MVNOs remain unaffected till now but don't be too confident just yet they might soon join the bad side if the public still remain unaware of the dirty new tactic they started pulling.
The latest Hotlink plan says Unlimited Hotspot including Data and Calls.

If I place the SIM in the phone and turn on hotspot sharing or place it in a dedicated modem what difference does it makes? Aren't we all already subjected to a 50GB FUP? Not enough?

It's misleading and very dishonest to their customers. 
Dare telling us which modem you're using? It won't be long once they finds out your modem IMEI and MAC ID will be put on blacklist and deprioritized by YES. Later don't cry ya and go complainning to YES. They'll just give you standard script reply saying your device is "NOT" in their supported device list. Thanks to 5G new network features. laugh.gif
Im using Huawei mod modem. They're already find out since they block my unlimited data plan but not 100GB data plan.
YoungMan
post Nov 7 2022, 10:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,391 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Oct 17 2022, 09:33 PM)
I got a very bad feeling in future 5G will limit and micro manage all our devices discrepantly.

We'll all be forced to buy only the supplied telco range of limited phones which they endorse to be in the "compatibility" list.
If you buy your own device (BYO) outside their compatibility list, your speed and usage will be severely throttled.

Ever since my area got upgraded to the new 5G base station or e-Nodes, the YES 4G as Up Postpaid plan placed in my modem only gets throttled to 1Mbps. At the same spot and place I swapped it into their own branded phone my speed increased over 10X to somewhere near 20Mbps.

Is our telco industry planning this evil thing?
It could be, since the existence of DNB has put them into a situation like MVNO. DNB's RAO is something that all the 4 major telcos opposed, but they have been force to accept the deal in order to provide 5G in Malaysia. As of now there is no info on the latest access pricing. But if it is still on the high side, plus the ever increasing amount of data usage means telco will constantly find ways to squeeze more revenue from subscribers.

This post has been edited by YoungMan: Nov 7 2022, 10:41 AM
dorsh
post Nov 8 2022, 11:34 AM

35 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Oct 17 2022, 10:04 PM)
Wish I can buy my own 5G router under RM800 now and insert the Yes Unlimited Prepaid plan into it as my home internet hotspot. laugh.gif

You claim unlimited mah why I cannot use it the way it was supposed to be?

What's the use I can only use in the SIM my 5G phone which needs to be in your limited "compatibility list". Only to show off my speed test results? laugh.gif

Did u use this modem? And change the imei?
ifourtos
post Nov 8 2022, 11:39 AM

Regular
1,884 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Oct 17 2022, 08:40 PM)
Recently I have noticed that some telcos despite selling quota based plans such as Maxis Hotlink Unlimited Plan with Unlimited Hotspot (50GB FUP) and Yes 4G all have started restricting their subscribers from using their SIMs in modems.

Why is that permitted when we're already paying for each GB utilization?

What difference does it makes if I consume the same amount of GB in my phone or through my wireless modem when I'm restricted with the same amount of data I bought?
You mean 100GB if I download on my phone is different from downloading it on my PC using a wireless modem?

There are a few sly reasons why those telcos are implementing unfair practices like this:

1) They want to force you to only use their own supplied 4G modems with their overpriced wireless broadband plans which costs no less than RM120/month. Example: Yes Wireless Fibre RM148/mth or Maxis Home 4G WiFi RM138/mth

2) They only want you to buy their 5G phones of limited models supported by them so that you sign up with their dreadful 2/3 years contracts which gets you tied down with exorbitant fees.

I'm starting to think that this 5G model is a dirty tactic to force consumers to pay even more for increased ARPU.
... Math.
Math. is all Math.

Maxis celcom digi running for decades. they already have VERY PRECISE user "usage" pattern statistic.

i pretty sure they know, Example

all Postpaid user with Data = average monthly consume 10~15gb? ( AVerage )
So if they offer data pack with 50gb, they still use 15gb average.

the Average is going lower if Prohit user to hotspot it.

so, 50GB monthly is just a number.
at the most, per user only consume 10~15GB

If they dont set Hotspot limit, chances are.. avererage per user might shoot up to 30GB or even max.
digitalifelesss
post Nov 20 2022, 10:38 AM

Getting Started
227 posts

Sp basically they try to hide the fact that their rusty infrastructure cannot handle the traffic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If everyone able to zoomzoom on PC their tower will literally hang.
p4n6
post Dec 11 2022, 02:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Oct 17 2022, 08:40 PM)
Recently I have noticed that some telcos despite selling quota based plans such as Maxis Hotlink Unlimited Plan with Unlimited Hotspot (50GB FUP) and Yes 4G all have started restricting their subscribers from using their SIMs in modems.

Why is that permitted when we're already paying for each GB utilization?

What difference does it makes if I consume the same amount of GB in my phone or through my wireless modem when I'm restricted with the same amount of data I bought?
You mean 100GB if I download on my phone is different from downloading it on my PC using a wireless modem?

There are a few sly reasons why those telcos are implementing unfair practices like this:

1) They want to force you to only use their own supplied 4G modems with their overpriced wireless broadband plans which costs no less than RM120/month. Example: Yes Wireless Fibre RM148/mth or Maxis Home 4G WiFi RM138/mth

2) They only want you to buy their 5G phones of limited models supported by them so that you sign up with their dreadful 2/3 years contracts which gets you tied down with exorbitant fees.

I'm starting to think that this 5G model is a dirty tactic to force consumers to pay even more for increased ARPU.
I think 50GB is Quota you paid for Mobile + Hotspot, used the extra beyond 50GB is FREE for mobile only which to them consider extra benefits to their customers. If you understand this way you will feel better, they just market it the other way around to make it sounds more valuable.

JLA
post Dec 12 2022, 07:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,299 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

depend of telco
umobile unlimited + RM5 unlimited hotspot = 100gb

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0141sec    0.58    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:32 PM