Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Why Does Our Telco Want to Sell Quota Based Plans, Yet Only Wants Us to Use In Phones?

views

TSpetpenyubobo
post Oct 17 2022, 08:40 PM, updated 2y ago

On my way
627 posts

Recently I have noticed that some telcos despite selling quota based plans such as Maxis Hotlink Unlimited Plan with Unlimited Hotspot (50GB FUP) and Yes 4G all have started restricting their subscribers from using their SIMs in modems.

Why is that permitted when we're already paying for each GB utilization?

What difference does it makes if I consume the same amount of GB in my phone or through my wireless modem when I'm restricted with the same amount of data I bought?
You mean 100GB if I download on my phone is different from downloading it on my PC using a wireless modem?

There are a few sly reasons why those telcos are implementing unfair practices like this:

1) They want to force you to only use their own supplied 4G modems with their overpriced wireless broadband plans which costs no less than RM120/month. Example: Yes Wireless Fibre RM148/mth or Maxis Home 4G WiFi RM138/mth

2) They only want you to buy their 5G phones of limited models supported by them so that you sign up with their dreadful 2/3 years contracts which gets you tied down with exorbitant fees.

I'm starting to think that this 5G model is a dirty tactic to force consumers to pay even more for increased ARPU.
NO1K
post Oct 17 2022, 09:04 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

Just use a rooted android or modified modem or injector to bypass the restriction.

TSpetpenyubobo
post Oct 17 2022, 09:09 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(NO1K @ Oct 17 2022, 09:04 PM)
Just use a rooted android or modified modem or injector to bypass the restriction.
No more and more modified modems are now starting to get blacklisted by our local telcos. Once you put your SIM into the modem you can't even connect to their network. Your modem will just show " No connection".
Modifying IMEI won't even work.
azhar75
post Oct 17 2022, 09:09 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,524 posts

Always remember:

#5G_is_fake
NO1K
post Oct 17 2022, 09:11 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Oct 17 2022, 09:09 PM)
No more and more modified modems are now starting to get blacklisted by our local telcos. Once you put your SIM into the modem you can't even connect to their network. Your modem will just show " No connection".
Modifying IMEI won't even work.
Celcom, redONE, XOX, TuneTalk, Digi still works fine.

YES is the strictest among all, next U Mobile
TSpetpenyubobo
post Oct 17 2022, 09:14 PM

On my way
627 posts

The telcos especially both YES and Maxis in particular are secretly favoring their own devices and promoted phones.

Either your device will totally cannot connect to their network giving "No connection" or you can still connect but your lesser known device "buy your own BYO device" will be severely throttled when you surf the net. When you contact them all they'll give you an answer is your device is not in our supported list of phones. Sorry for that you no happy go port out to other companies.

Very dirty trick.It's not even an unlimited plan. It's a quota based one.
TSpetpenyubobo
post Oct 17 2022, 09:17 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(NO1K @ Oct 17 2022, 09:11 PM)
Celcom, redONE, XOX, TuneTalk, Digi still works fine.

YES is the strictest among all, next U Mobile
It's really silly why they insist on subscribers using the SIM only in supported phones.

I buy a quota based plan like 100GB a month why do you care if I use it in my phone or modem? If unlimited plan fair enough as FUP in place but a quota based one? I put in a modem I utilize the quota quicker and so I'll buy more quota top up after and you'll earn more money.

Why do you want to insist I place it ONLY in my phone???
haturaya
post Oct 17 2022, 09:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

I bet MCMC won't do much about this.
GameSky
post Oct 17 2022, 09:26 PM

Nyancat too much
6,335 posts

ikr... telco with so called xxGB quotas, then limit users cannot hotspot... must buy hotspot pass that only gives you few GB.

Seems like microtransactions sana sini already... who introduced those stupid passes trend in the first place?
TSpetpenyubobo
post Oct 17 2022, 09:33 PM

On my way
627 posts

I got a very bad feeling in future 5G will limit and micro manage all our devices discrepantly.

We'll all be forced to buy only the supplied telco range of limited phones which they endorse to be in the "compatibility" list.
If you buy your own device (BYO) outside their compatibility list, your speed and usage will be severely throttled.

Ever since my area got upgraded to the new 5G base station or e-Nodes, the YES 4G as Up Postpaid plan placed in my modem only gets throttled to 1Mbps. At the same spot and place I swapped it into their own branded phone my speed increased over 10X to somewhere near 20Mbps.

Is our telco industry planning this evil thing?
TSpetpenyubobo
post Oct 17 2022, 10:04 PM

On my way
627 posts

Wish I can buy my own 5G router under RM800 now and insert the Yes Unlimited Prepaid plan into it as my home internet hotspot. laugh.gif

You claim unlimited mah why I cannot use it the way it was supposed to be?

What's the use I can only use in the SIM my 5G phone which needs to be in your limited "compatibility list". Only to show off my speed test results? laugh.gif

WaCKy-Angel
post Oct 17 2022, 10:06 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Oct 17 2022, 10:04 PM)
Wish I can buy my own 5G router under RM800 now and insert the Yes Unlimited Prepaid plan into it as my home internet hotspot. laugh.gif

You claim unlimited mah why I cannot use it the way it was supposed to be?

What's the use I can only use in the SIM my 5G phone which needs to be in your limited "compatibility list". Only to show off my speed test results? laugh.gif

Yes uses different spectrum hence the "compatible list"
TSpetpenyubobo
post Oct 17 2022, 10:09 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Oct 17 2022, 10:06 PM)
Yes uses different spectrum hence the "compatible list"
What spectrum so special? This modem supports many 5G bands including n28.

Can I put a Yes Unlimited 5G Prepaid SIM inside this and use as internet hotspot? Can get full speed like in a "supported phone" or only get 1Mbps even if full bar or can't connect at all? laugh.gif
choonster P
post Oct 17 2022, 10:28 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Oct 17 2022, 09:14 PM)
The telcos especially both YES and Maxis in particular  are secretly favoring their own devices and promoted phones.

Either your device will totally cannot connect to their network giving "No connection" or you can still connect but your lesser known device "buy your own BYO device" will be severely throttled when you surf the net. When you contact them all they'll give you an answer is  your device is not in our supported list of phones. Sorry for that you no happy go port out to other companies.

Very dirty trick.It's not even an unlimited plan. It's a quota based one.
I'm subscribed to hotlink RM35 unlimited 3mbps + RM5 hotspot in my tplink modem. The internet speed was terrible, only few hundred kbps. I was made to understand by the customer care that their simcard is meant for use in a phone & not a modem. So long as it worked in a phone, it is deemed there's no issue with the internet speed. I resulted to a partial refund after a long chat with them. To me, it kinda defeat the purpose of offering unlimited data with such restrictions.
TSpetpenyubobo
post Oct 17 2022, 10:32 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(choonster @ Oct 17 2022, 10:28 PM)
I'm subscribed to hotlink RM35 unlimited 3mbps + RM5 hotspot in my tplink modem. The internet speed was terrible, only few hundred kbps. I was made to understand by the customer care that their simcard is meant for use in a phone & not a modem. So long as it worked in a phone, it is deemed there's no issue with the internet speed. I resulted to a partial refund after a long chat with them. To me, it kinda defeat the purpose of offering unlimited data with such restrictions.
Same for me I subscribed the RM50 Unlimited 6Mbps with unlimited hotspot feature as well. Put into a modem the connection acts weird speed like not moving, always packet dropping and you'll noticed ports are locked up cannot upload on certain apps such as Whatsapp when using the modem as hotspot.

Then i place the SIM into a Samsung 4G phone, turn on hotpot and try. All problems gone.

Why they bother whether its in a modem or phone since you already has a FUP of 50GB a month?
choonster P
post Oct 17 2022, 10:58 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Oct 17 2022, 10:32 PM)
Same for me I subscribed the RM50 Unlimited 6Mbps with unlimited hotspot feature as well. Put into a modem the connection acts weird speed like not moving, always packet dropping and you'll noticed ports are locked up cannot upload on certain apps such as Whatsapp when using the modem as hotspot.

Then i place the SIM into a Samsung 4G phone, turn on hotpot and try. All problems gone.

Why they bother whether its in a modem or phone since you already has a FUP of 50GB a month?
I found Celcom mix & match RM35 - 30gb high speed internet which seem to be a good deal. Unfortunately, I was made known it couldn't be used in a modem for hotspot purpose, so it's not just those "unlimited plan" that has restriction in hotspot ... Now I am confused how to get a suitable simcard for 4g router for hotspot purpose ..
GameSky
post Oct 17 2022, 11:58 PM

Nyancat too much
6,335 posts

the only proper sim can used on modem afaik is maxis one? havent tried, quota afaik is 300GB
NO1K
post Oct 18 2022, 10:15 AM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(choonster @ Oct 17 2022, 10:58 PM)
I found Celcom mix & match RM35 - 30gb high speed internet which seem to be a good deal. Unfortunately, I was made known it couldn't be used in a modem for hotspot purpose, so it's not just those "unlimited plan" that has restriction in hotspot ... Now I am confused how to get a suitable simcard for 4g router for hotspot purpose ..
Just use TuneTalk RM35:35GB, no restriction in hotspot.

Let me know if you are interested, I can deliver the sim card to you for free including shipping fee. You just need to pay RM35 for the plan.
NO1K
post Oct 18 2022, 10:17 AM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Oct 17 2022, 09:17 PM)
It's really silly why they insist on subscribers using the SIM only in supported phones.

I buy a quota based plan like 100GB a month why do you care if I use it in my phone or modem? If unlimited plan fair enough as FUP in place but a quota based one? I put in a modem I utilize the quota quicker and so I'll buy more quota top up after and you'll earn more money.

Why do you want to insist I place it ONLY in my phone???
Lately they became more and more tricky, including misleading users with so call "Unlimited" terms.

For me as a dealer, I have to go through every hidden terms and conditions, too troublesome.
peja5081
post Oct 18 2022, 10:29 AM

Getting Started
288 posts

Im still using Yes 100GB with modem without problem. Top speed around 50Mbps. I don't know why you cant.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.47    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:19 PM