Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Oversea Job Offer in TW, Need advice plz

views

TSckryan
post Sep 15 2021, 09:40 AM, updated 3y ago

Casual
314 posts

Hi Guys,

Good day! I just got an offer for an engineering position in Kaohsiung, TW. This is a MNC company in semiconductor industry and is offering me to go over to be based in KH,TW. I would expect an "expat package" to be offered. Unfortunately, this is a "local hire" that turning me down for most of the benefits that one would entitle especially like a foreigner like me to go over there. There are a few things that puzzling me of my decision to accept/decline the offer. I am married with 2 kids. My elder kid is 6 yo and will be boarding into standard 1 next year and the youngest is 3 yo. My wife is still working at home right now and I guess once we all moved there, she will still be able to wfh at all time.

Few things that puzzling me right now:

1. If it is not an expat package, this offer does not provide like housing allowance. I believe the house rental, typical studio types like 500-600 sqft size would easily hit NT$20,000. I would definitely need to count into my monthly paycheck.

2. Kid education fee is not covered. I am concerning about where would my kid be boarding into the public elementary school or international school? Are all the public schools in TW allowing the international enrollment? How's my kid education would be going on if later we come back to Malaysia?

3. How's the payable tax impose for foreigner holding a valid working permit? If not mistaken it is about 18%. I will need to pay this tax.

4. How's the insurance coverage or medical coverage of my family? I guess most of the MNC do provide subsidiary to the immediate dependents. Is that really sufficient to cover that?

What's your thoughts or inputs are all welcomed!

Thanks!
lawrencesha
post Sep 15 2021, 09:49 AM

Enthusiast
858 posts

Go alone. Settle down first, do your studies, then decide to bring your family along.

I got my job in SG and I went alone. Obviously, not an expat package as well. Realized that as a foreigner, everything is expensive - especially education without the government subsidy. I ended up staying in SG alone, while the family remain in KL.
hft
post Sep 15 2021, 09:50 AM

Regular
1,081 posts

Tax you must pay

Insurance usually company provide

The rest you must clarify, if non expat than its small. Do expect 15-25k USD overall for expat package.
TSckryan
post Sep 15 2021, 09:57 AM

Casual
314 posts

QUOTE(lawrencesha @ Sep 15 2021, 09:49 AM)
Go alone. Settle down first, do your studies, then decide to bring your family along.

I got my job in SG and I went alone. Obviously, not an expat package as well. Realized that as a foreigner, everything is expensive - especially education without the government subsidy. I ended up staying in SG alone, while the family remain in KL.
This is what I am considering to go there alone first maybe like 6-9 months. If everything goes well then will move my whole family there. Definitely, I would prefer to have my whole family to stay with me. That's true, for a foreigner like us, everything is expensive. The most concerning parts are still my kid education fee. I would not want my kids to suffer later if we decide to move back to Malaysia. It is hard to pick up the syllabus if it is not in an international school.

QUOTE(hft @ Sep 15 2021, 09:50 AM)
Tax you must pay

Insurance usually company provide

The rest you must clarify, if non expat than its small. Do expect 15-25k USD overall for expat package.
Are you saying that 15-25k expat package mean the initial startup settling down allowance or some other benefits?
pufferfish
post Sep 15 2021, 09:58 AM

Casual
430 posts

if your wife working for a company in MY, need to check if she can work remotely from abroad or not, some companies don't allow that
InitialB
post Sep 15 2021, 10:02 AM

On my way
670 posts

QUOTE(ckryan @ Sep 15 2021, 09:40 AM)
Hi Guys,

Good day! I just got an offer for an engineering position in Kaohsiung, TW. This is a MNC company in semiconductor industry and is offering me to go over to be based in KH,TW. I would expect an "expat package" to be offered. Unfortunately, this is a "local hire" that turning me down for most of the benefits that one would entitle especially like a foreigner like me to go over there. There are a few things that puzzling me of my decision to accept/decline the offer. I am married with 2 kids. My elder kid is 6 yo and will be boarding into standard 1 next year and the youngest is 3 yo. My wife is still working at home right now and I guess once we all moved there, she will still be able to wfh at all time.

Few things that puzzling me right now:

1. If it is not an expat package, this offer does not provide like housing allowance. I believe the house rental, typical studio types like 500-600 sqft size would easily hit NT$20,000. I would definitely need to count into my monthly paycheck.

2. Kid education fee is not covered. I am concerning about where would my kid be boarding into the public elementary school or international school? Are all the public schools in TW allowing the international enrollment? How's my kid education would be going on if later we come back to Malaysia?

3. How's the payable tax impose for foreigner holding a valid working permit? If not mistaken it is about 18%. I will need to pay this tax.

4. How's the insurance coverage or medical coverage of my family? I guess most of the MNC do provide subsidiary to the immediate dependents. Is that really sufficient to cover that?

What's your thoughts or inputs are all welcomed!

Thanks!
1- Rental = RM10000 a moth
2. Education $$$$ ?????/
3. Tax
4. Insurance let say RM600 for u wife and son

How much u get? From what i see at least RM50000 salary baru enough
TSckryan
post Sep 15 2021, 10:06 AM

Casual
314 posts

QUOTE(InitialB @ Sep 15 2021, 10:02 AM)
1- Rental = RM10000 a moth
2. Education  $$$$ ?????/
3. Tax
4. Insurance let say RM600 for u wife and son

How much u get? From what i see at least RM50000 salary baru enough
Rental is Kaohsiung should be around NT$20000 = RM3000 a typical condo around 500-600 sqft. The education fee is the part that concerning me. If international school per semester is already NT$200000 = RM 30000. If 2 semesters in one calendar year I need to spend like RM60000. If go to public school I am worrying the syllabus is different when we come back later to Malaysia.
InitialB
post Sep 15 2021, 10:11 AM

On my way
670 posts

QUOTE(ckryan @ Sep 15 2021, 10:06 AM)
Rental is Kaohsiung should be around NT$20000 = RM3000 a typical condo around 500-600 sqft. The education fee is the part that concerning me. If international school per semester is already NT$200000 = RM 30000. If 2 semesters in one calendar year I need to spend like RM60000. If go to public school I am worrying the syllabus is different when we come back later to Malaysia.
Hence i'm still standing with RM50000 salary offere. And non nego.
anavrin
post Sep 15 2021, 10:11 AM

Getting Started
134 posts

u should find some fb support group for expat in tw..
they would have faced the same and could share their experience better.. all the best smile.gif
lawrencesha
post Sep 15 2021, 10:18 AM

Enthusiast
858 posts

QUOTE(InitialB @ Sep 15 2021, 10:11 AM)
Hence i'm still standing with RM50000 salary offere. And non nego.
For over US$10K/pm, you must be in high demand. SG has a higher standard of living and such salary (> S$16K) is not easy to come by.
InitialB
post Sep 15 2021, 10:56 AM

On my way
670 posts

QUOTE(lawrencesha @ Sep 15 2021, 10:18 AM)
For over US$10K/pm, you must be in high demand. SG has a higher standard of living and such salary (> S$16K) is not easy to come by.
Limited edition....

laugh.gif laugh.gif
hft
post Sep 15 2021, 11:45 AM

Regular
1,081 posts

QUOTE(ckryan @ Sep 15 2021, 09:57 AM)
This is what I am considering to go there alone first maybe like 6-9 months. If everything goes well then will move my whole family there. Definitely, I would prefer to have my whole family to stay with me. That's true, for a foreigner like us, everything is expensive. The most concerning parts are still my kid education fee. I would not want my kids to suffer later if we decide to move back to Malaysia. It is hard to pick up the syllabus if it is not in an international school.
Are you saying that 15-25k expat package mean the initial startup settling down allowance or some other benefits?
Usually they give mobilization allowence, once off furniture allowences.

Survey school cost as well upfront before move your family. Your kids will suffer if later you need to bring back to Malaysia school, international school here rm70-100k per pax, unless you can afford this.

It’s not expensive for living cost, it’s all scaled to your salary. If you want to take benefit, then have to live frugal life. Salary scale not designed to allow you save 90% of income, rather enough for you to spend.
hft
post Sep 15 2021, 11:48 AM

Regular
1,081 posts

Syllabus be different. RM50-60k per annum for school is decent rate, everywhere else about that rate. If you go cheaper school expect quality be discounted as well.

Rental should allocate RM5k or more to be comfortable. How big is your family anyway?
TSckryan
post Sep 15 2021, 12:31 PM

Casual
314 posts

QUOTE(hft @ Sep 15 2021, 11:48 AM)
Syllabus be different. RM50-60k per annum for school is decent rate, everywhere else about that rate. If you go cheaper school expect quality be discounted as well.

Rental should allocate RM5k or more to be comfortable. How big is your family anyway?
Are you residing in TW currently?

I have total 4 person in my family. RM5k for house rental is really a lot there. I would expect to be like RM3k range but not more than RM3.5k. I am worrying all will scaled to my monthly salary then no point of moving there since I have a quite good of living here in Malaysia.

That's my main concern of kid education. I don't want them to suffer later if situation will be changed and end up the whole family will be moving back to Malaysia. Syllabus wise will be different.

I am not actively looking for oversea opportunities but if there is the opportunity, why not? The hunter came to me and we have gone thru all the stages until they are offering now. But this is a local hire offer, I don't think it is worth that way.
James1983
post Sep 15 2021, 01:02 PM

💦kencing lettew💦
531 posts

have you gotten a number from the hiring company yet?

salary wise in local TWD.
hft
post Sep 15 2021, 01:03 PM

Regular
1,081 posts

QUOTE(ckryan @ Sep 15 2021, 12:31 PM)
Are you residing in TW currently?

I have total 4 person in my family. RM5k for house rental is really a lot there. I would expect to be like RM3k range but not more than RM3.5k. I am worrying all will scaled to my monthly salary then no point of moving there since I have a quite good of living here in Malaysia.

That's my main concern of kid education. I don't want them to suffer later if situation will be changed and end up the whole family will be moving back to Malaysia. Syllabus wise will be different.

I am not actively looking for oversea opportunities but if there is the opportunity, why not? The hunter came to me and we have gone thru all the stages until they are offering now. But this is a local hire offer, I don't think it is worth that way.
Not in TW, I have friends overseas in several places.

Overall best value for money is you stay single there for few years.

Best value for life is you bring family, and spend what is necessary.

Syllabus be obviously different, go American or British school if you want to choose, but it is costly.

You been in Taiwan before?
TSckryan
post Sep 15 2021, 02:19 PM

Casual
314 posts

QUOTE(James1983 @ Sep 15 2021, 01:02 PM)
have you gotten a number from the hiring company yet?

salary wise in local TWD.
Nope, not yet the final figures. Just said not offering an expat package and see whether I am interested to move forward.

QUOTE(hft @ Sep 15 2021, 01:03 PM)
Not in TW, I have friends overseas in several places.

Overall best value for money is you stay single there for few years.

Best value for life is you bring family, and spend what is necessary.

Syllabus be obviously different, go American or British school if you want to choose, but it is costly.

You been in Taiwan before?
Yes, I have been there for vacation once.

WallChecker
post Sep 15 2021, 10:37 PM

Casual
315 posts

TW education/school syllabus is very different from Malaysia. Their public school syllabus are in Traditional Chinese medium, so think carefully on this. International/private school is very expensive. If you are considering to bring family there for few years and return to Malaysia, then I suggest not - the education system is not the same. What I have heard most foreigners are on local hire package, unless the senior management/specialized field.
hft
post Sep 16 2021, 04:10 AM

Regular
1,081 posts

QUOTE(ckryan @ Sep 15 2021, 02:19 PM)
Nope, not yet the final figures. Just said not offering an expat package and see whether I am interested to move forward.
Yes, I have been there for vacation once.
Ok, good luck buddy, life be better with more income

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0135sec    0.15    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:24 PM