Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Review UGREEN HiTune X5 TrueWireless Mirroring Earphones, Quad-Mics | Low Latency Gaming EQ Mode

views

TSvoncrane
post Jul 7 2021, 12:05 PM, updated 3y ago

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

Hi all, I hope we are all staying safe out there in these times...18 months++..OMG!!... But still glad to never kena and still alive. Hang in there yeah.. So I'm here again with another honest in-depth review and demo. This time I review the fresh off the factory in-ear 2021 UGREEN HiTune X5 TrueWireless Mirroring earbuds. It carries the model name/number "WS105" and is the latest member to join the HiTune family. Predecessors include the HiTune T2, the HiTune T1, and the OG HiTune TWS earbuds.

Attached Image

The HiTune X5 supports TrueWireless Mirroring which should not be confused with TrueWireless Stereo. With TrueWireless Stereo, a user can pair one earbud and the other is designed to automatically initiate pairing. TrueWireless Mirroring on the other hand is considered next-gen tech where only one earbud maintains the Bluetooth connection with the smartphone, while the secondary bud mirrors the connected bud. This technology is engineered to deliver a rapid, seamless swap in multiple use cases. Say you disconnect the primary connected earbud, the secondary earbud assumes the connection with zero interruption. I experienced this flawless switch when the left earbud, which happened to be the primary earbud at the time, powered off during Stereo playback. The right earbud instantly picked up the connection and continued. Another scenario is where the connection between the smartphone and mirroring earbud is stronger than the currently connected earbud, the connection will invisibly swap to ensure the best possible connection. Let's explore the other specs;

Attached Image

Specifications
Bluetooth Version: V5.2
Control Type: Touch Control
Supported Bluetooth Profiles: HSP, HFP, A2DP, AVRCP
Waterproof Level: IPX5
SoC: Qualcomm QCC3040 (aptX Supported)
Driver Size: 10mm Graphene Dynamic Drivers
Microphones: 4 MEMS Microphones
Bluetooth Range: 10m [Actual: 15m]
Frequency Response Range: 20-20KHz
Earbuds Playtime: Up to 7 Hours
Total Playtime: 28hrs [7hrs (earbuds) + 21hrs (Case)]
Wireless Charging: No
Earbuds Charging Time: 1.5 Hours
Case Charging Time: 2 Hours
Case Charging Method: USB-C Quick Charge
Charging Input: 5V=320mA
Charging Output: 5V=100ma
*Weight
***Single Earbud: 5.1g/0.18oz
***Case (with Earbuds): 47.6g/1.68oz
*Box Contents
***1x HiTune X5
***1x User Manual
***1X Carry/Charge Case
***1x USB-A to USB-C Charging Cable
***4x Interchangeable Rubber Ear Tips (XS, S, M, L)

Actual Product Images
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Here's the full video where I not only go into more detail, but you also get to see and listen to how it performs during several tests I run it thru.

For text lovers who just want a "less in-depth analysis"? Let's chug on smile.gif ...

The HiTune X5 supports fairly standard Bluetooth profiles, AAC, SBC, and thanks to the Qualcomm QCC 3040 SoC or System on Chip, it produces Hi-Fidelity sound powered by Qualcomm®aptX™. Take note that this is just aptX and not aptX HD. Nevertheless, it also has a 10mm dynamic driver with a dual-composite diaphragm with Superbass™ low-frequency enhancement, instant pairing, 4 MEMS microphones, and the advanced CVC 8.0 (Clear Voice Capture) algorithm to effectively filter out 91% ambient sound. The earbuds are IPX5 water & sweat resistance rated, ensuring protection from sweat and water splashes, be it from gym workouts or outdoor activities. Do not swim with these as they offer no protection from full submersion, salt, chlorine, chemicals, and solvents.

Build Quality
Opened the box....At first, I went urrgghhhh shiny glossy plastic finish again? zzzzz... But then the color hit me. The way the case feels, how well it was put together, and how it got bits of sparkly in em. Opened the case, took out the earbuds, and seeing those really hit me.. They are a gorgeous-looking pair of earbuds. According to UGREEN, the design language is inspired by nature, and rightly so If I might add. Truly reminds me of a starry night sky to the ocean. The HiTune X5 team tried to explore a harmonious relationship between music, nature, and life. And boy did the designers knock that ball out of the park with this one. The earbuds sport a unique ergonomic in-ear design with an oval-shaped stem, making it something in-between conventional bud-shaped in-ear and short-stemmed earbuds. This unique design optimizes wearing comfort for users as it cuts the length of the protruding stems (which I greatly appreciate), and its 30-degree in-ear angle ensures a better fit to the ear contour and a firm grip without pressure on the ears. Just be sure to pick the best fitting ear tips from the 4 options. Speaking of ear tips, these are blue to match the earbuds and case design.. TBH, I'll save you some further reading to tell you right now that these IMHO are truly style meets practicality.

Attached Image

You are still here? Must like to read huh brows.gif ... Alright.. let's continue.. This super fingerprint and oil magnet glossiness is everywhere except the hinges on the back which seem to be made of black plastic material instead. We have a circular button that sits flush with the surface. This is to perform a Forced Connection or Factory Reset the earbuds in case you run into issues or you just want a clean slate… You can see both in action in the review video above. The case unplugged charges the earbuds from 0 – 100% well under the stated 90 minutes. Fully charged earbuds are rated for 7 hours of playtime, and a fully charged case should allow you to fully recharge both earbuds at least 3 more times. Offering a total playtime of 28 hours. However, during my extensive testing, I set the audio volume no more than 80% at any time and managed to get around 6 hours of playtime per charge and a total of just under 25 hours with the case. I reckon you could get closer to quoted 28 hours if the volume is set lower, & depending on played content. Nevertheless, these are still impressive numbers as it means even with heavy daily usage, you probably only need to recharge the case around say 3 – 5 days. Light users should find themselves charging even less frequently, as the earbuds will continuously top themselves up when returned to the case.

The Case can be opened very easily with just one hand.. It's a smooth spring-loaded operation. Similarly, with the earbuds, they are easy to take out and slot back in.. Thanks to magnetic pogo charging contacts at the bottom. Opening the case immediately powers on the earbuds and they enter a pairing mode. Closing the case immediately disconnects both earbuds and powers them down. Ugreen has also reverted to having more LEDs on the front. The earlier HiTune T1 & HiTune T2 models both had just one LED indicator. The case is fully charged when all 3 indicators are lit, however, and for simplicity’s sake, just assume 0-30%, 30-65%, and 65-100% per lit indicator.

Attached Image

Setup, etc..
Pairing or re-connecting to a previously paired device is straightforward as expected. Just open the case and the rest is done. The Multifunction button or MFB is touch-sensitive, and as with all new models, it takes some getting used to. I mean, eventually, I still got it to do what I wanted. Your mileage may vary though. Like the HiTune T1 & T2, I'll chalk it up to having large fingers and the significantly smaller size of the touch-sensitive area on the T2. Average-sized folks with smaller forefingers should fare better. The X5 shares similar touchpad functions as the HiTune T1 & T2.. But mostly the T2 because they share the same Normal/Gaming Mode EQ Switch. The T1 on the other hand switches between Normal or SuperBass Mode...

The HiTune X5's Gaming Mode is similar to that of the HiTune T2, except this time around. This is a proper in-ear design, not the semi-in-ear design of the T2. The rubber ear tips greatly assist in passive noise cancelation, instantly increasing your immersive gaming experience. You can hear those in-game sounds and conversations much more clearly... The pseudo surround audio system or "3D Audio" is quite decent. You can hear footsteps and or gunshots from all directions, allowing you to reflexively turn away and hide or like medieval war times me? Rush towards certain death... haha...

Audio & Calling Performance
I have been using the X5 as my daily driver for the past 2 weeks and not once did I encounter any unusual connection issues or abnormal shutdowns. Thanks to the unique ergonomic in-ear design with an oval-shaped stem, the 4 MEMS microphones, the 10mm drivers, and Qualcomm’s aptX tech. The HiTune X5 is able to offer decent audio performance in the mid-low frequencies. UGREEN’s signature Superbass Low-Frequency Enhancement Technology also helps to deliver solid, punchy bass.. Although I did wish it could hit just a little bit harder. I’m guessing due to the targeted price point, something had to give. Thankfully, the vocals are really clear and the calling experience is superb. To be honest, I had some misgivings given past experiences with shorter stem designs. However, It does appear that Ugreen actually listened to my earlier feedback to merge the HiTune T1’s sound to the HiTune T2’s excellent ENC & CVC tech….Audio and video syncing is near perfect in all my usual use case scenarios, and more importantly, signal stability was improved here. I was able to place my phone in a closed-off room and walk around the house (within a 15m range) without any interruption. I applaud Ugreen for being able to do all these, churn out a beautiful design, and still keep the form factor small enough for folks like me who prefer not to be seen with stalks sticking out of their ears.

Conclusion
To wrap things up, I talk about the pros, cons, and why these might be the perfect earbuds for you. Basically, the top three things I love & dislike the most about this Ugreen HiTune X5. Kudos to you for sticking with me till this point. If you haven’t yet subscribed to my YouTube channel? Please do so.. I do thank you and really appreciate your support. It's free la...Smash that like & bell button if you’d like to get notified when I drop new videos. To those who already subbed? Massive notworthy.gif

user posted image

Cons
1. The touchpad IMHO still appears to need some work.. YMMV though...On the plus side, I did not experience accidentally triggering actions while removing or placing the earbuds in the case or my ears.
2. I would have loved to see wireless charging supported and perhaps even faster wired charging too. Of course, I don’t expect anything even remotely close to Xiaomi or Vivo’s 120W or Oppo’s proposed and ridiculously fast 125W smartphone charging speeds. I would like to see something along the lines of a fully charged case and earbuds in an hour or less. Granted a quick 15 – 20 minutes charge does offer you a full hour of playtime. This coupled with the guaranteed 6 – 25 hours I can get off a full charge are numbers I can live with…Especially at this Value:Price ratio.
3. The third and last con is just me nitpicking at the bass levels. I just felt it could do better.. It was sort of a tie between bass levels or the case's glossiness... I liked the color and feels too much and thus....Bass levels won this coveted spot. tongue.gif

Pros
1. Form Factor: This is an ergonomic in-ear design featuring a 30-degree in-ear angle, and shorter oval-shaped stems. Providing stability when worn, and is a smart middle-ground between conventionally shaped earbuds and longer stemmed earphones. Works quite fine for me as I prefer shorter stem earbuds.
2. Build Quality on both the earbuds and the case is excellent. The hinges open up in this neat fashion. Sure, it's glossy as can be, but and that’s a huge but, the lovely design, the striking color, the fit and finish… all more than make up for its glossiness.
3. Third and lastly is the gaming and audio performance. thumbup.gif It is able to achieve low latency levels that I can’t detect any significant lags during regular usage. The best part is, it works great even with devices packing older Bluetooth hardware versions. I show all these and more in the full review video up above...

Purchase Links
Official Website
Shopee Malaysia
Lazada Malaysia
Amazon USA

Grab yours before July 21st to enjoy a 30% off limited-time launch offer for RM146.3!! After which it'll revert back to the RRP of $49/RM209.

UGREEN SocMed URLs
Twitter
Facebook (Malaysia)
Instagram

At this point, I'd like to also thank UGREEN for supplying a review unit to make this possible... cool.gif

This post has been edited by voncrane: Jul 7 2021, 12:09 PM
blurjoey
post Jul 7 2021, 03:23 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

Another good review
TSvoncrane
post Jul 7 2021, 04:38 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Jul 7 2021, 03:23 PM)
Another good review
Thanks fam... I try.. sweat.gif
Ludwig.
post Jul 7 2021, 04:41 PM

LOOOL
532 posts

great review!
i havent heard of these, might take a look
squall0833
post Aug 28 2021, 11:43 AM

Regular
1,444 posts

Got mine at rm168 lol
TSvoncrane
post Sep 4 2021, 07:38 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(squall0833 @ Aug 28 2021, 11:43 AM)
Got mine at rm168 lol
Can't argue against cheaper... biggrin.gif rclxms.gif
squall0833
post Sep 13 2021, 12:41 AM

Regular
1,444 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Sep 4 2021, 07:38 PM)
Can't argue against cheaper... biggrin.gif  rclxms.gif
I was wrong, actually got it at RM 155 with voucher biggrin.gif

on 8.8 biggrin.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version