Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Postpaid network issue

views

emilyngsc
post Jan 20 2022, 02:45 PM

Regular
1,249 posts

QUOTE(ansonlos @ Jan 4 2022, 03:35 PM)
I started noticing this issue lately — some websites will load just fine, but some would not at all. So it got me curious, and I did a DNS query on those websites that would load and those that wouldn't. Those that would load have IPv6 address in addition to IPv4 address. Those that wouldn't load only have IPv4 addresses, but NOT IPv6.

So in my browser, I went to WhatisMyIP. Sure enough, for those websites (with only IPv4) that I couldn't load, WhatisMyIP is reporting that my phone only has IPv6 address, no IPv4 address. When I'm at certain location, my phone was able to obtain an IPv4 address, but the BIG problem is at many locations around the city (KL) my phone only seems to have IPv6 address.

Turning off and on Airplane Mode does not help. I called Maxis support and they even tried turning off and on Public IP for my line, and that also did not help. The only thing that helped in this situation is to turn ON Apple's iCloud Private Relay (BETA). With it turned on, I'm able to browse to any websites. So if you have an iPhone and running iOS 15.2. Try that.

I have also reported my findings to Maxis Support this afternoon. They said they will escalate my report to the backend technical team to look into this.
Update (13/1/2022): Someone from Maxis called me, and said that he managed to nail down the cause of the issue and pushed through the solution for me. So far, it's been working well again for me. If any of you still have an issue, I suggest that you give Maxis' customer helpline a call. They may just have the solution for you.
Maintain general location or use country and time zone. Which one? Thanks and cheers.
ansonlos
post Jan 21 2022, 07:52 AM

10 posts

QUOTE(emilyngsc @ Jan 20 2022, 02:45 PM)
Maintain general location or use country and time zone. Which one? Thanks and cheers.
Either will do to get Safari & Mail to work. They are just different levels of privacy protection.

Bear in mind, this is really just a quick fix to get you browsing again. You’ll find that if you use other apps that need to connect to a server that only has an IPv4 address, e.g. eWallet apps, etc, it will still not work. As an aside, streaming apps like YouTube, Netflix, etc do not have issues as they can happily connect to their servers via IPv6.

A more permanent solution is to call Maxis’ Technical Dept to get them to sort it out for you. Good luck!

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0109sec    0.43    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:57 PM