Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Laptop for coding, Need Advice

views

anangryorc
post Jun 12 2021, 10:13 PM

On my way
597 posts

Ryzen or modern intel both with sufficient RAM and SSD should do the job pretty well. (4 cores or above are preferred, depends on how many local dev environments you need to get the job done).

As for MBP M1, it's much more power efficient but you might need to research the tools you are using are support for the M1 chip. (docker, jre, jdk etc), if the support is not an issue, definitely go for MBP.
FlierMate
post Jun 12 2021, 10:55 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

... need to research the tools you are using are support for the M1 chip. 

Didn't know Apple has its own M1 chip which is Arm-based.

So TS might need to find out if there is port for Aarch64 (Java on Arm processors) instead of for x86 if he/she plan to use M1.
malleus
post Jun 13 2021, 02:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Jun 12 2021, 10:55 PM)
Didn't know Apple has its own M1 chip which is Arm-based.

So TS might need to find out if there is port for Aarch64 (Java on Arm processors) instead of for x86 if he/she plan to use M1.
openjdk already has the native builds for this.

also, Rosetta 2 that allows for the m1 cpus to run older x86 binaries does a pretty decent job too for most applications. it's definitely a huge improvement over the Rosetta 1 days when Apple initially transitioned from PPC to c86
silverhawk
post Jun 13 2021, 05:32 PM

I'm Positively Lustrous
Group Icon
Elite
4,738 posts

QUOTE(bibirbieber @ May 23 2021, 10:59 PM)
Hi, I'm a web application developer using JAVA.
Currently I'm using Thinkpad L480 for my development and I'm not that happy with the laptop and planning to buy a laptop for coding purposes.
I encountered posts online some saying that Ryzen is the way to go for coding and some say Intel is good enough for coders.
Im confused whether to buy Thinkpad T14 gen 2(Intel) or gaming laptops thats comes with Ryzen cpu such as Asus G14
Can sifus here advice me on this?
Inter vs AMD doesn't really matter, any performance difference is going to be rather negligible in the same price range. To me there are other important factors to consider

1) Screen - you'll be looking at this the whole day, make sure its a good screen. IPS > Tn. You might not think its a big issue, but depending on how you set up your IDE colors schemes, a screen with good color and contrast will let you have subdued colors that are not distracting but still useful. (e.g. whitespace/tab indicators, lighter comment colors, hints, etc)
2) Keyboard - Your primary input into your work, you better make sure its comfortable to type on.
3) Build quality - The last thing you want is pieces of your laptop falling off, or your screen wobbling as you type.

TSbibirbieber
post Jun 20 2021, 03:34 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

QUOTE(MaGNiFiCo @ Jun 8 2021, 09:36 PM)
Yes. When it comes to compiling, higher clock will justify the speed. Of course, with great power comes great drawback. Especially on battery biggrin.gif

Is it a must you use eclipse? Try other ide like Netbeans and intelliJ IDEA. But both still java based. If you want a lighter option you can try vs code. It is not an IDE. But there are multiple plugin that can fulfill all your needs. Like debugger, compiler for java. Give it a try.
Yeah I seen videos on youtube also saying that using IDE is really slow down the system. Will give a try on VSCode. Thanks2
TSbibirbieber
post Jun 20 2021, 03:38 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

QUOTE(anangryorc @ Jun 12 2021, 10:13 PM)
Ryzen or modern intel both with sufficient RAM and SSD should do the job pretty well. (4 cores or above are preferred, depends on how many local dev environments you need to get the job done).

As for MBP M1, it's much more power efficient but you might need to research the tools you are using are support for the M1 chip. (docker, jre, jdk etc), if the support is not an issue, definitely go for MBP.
This is exactly what I worry about. I worry if the tools that Im gonna use for the next 4-5 years with this chip. Need to do more research first before commit to M1. 95% of my company's devs use windows based machine.
TSbibirbieber
post Jun 20 2021, 03:39 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

QUOTE(silverhawk @ Jun 13 2021, 05:32 PM)
Inter vs AMD doesn't really matter, any performance difference is going to be rather negligible in the same price range. To me there are other important factors to consider

1) Screen - you'll be looking at this the whole day, make sure its a good screen. IPS > Tn. You might not think its a big issue, but depending on how you set up your IDE colors schemes, a screen with good color and contrast will let you have subdued colors that are not distracting but still useful. (e.g. whitespace/tab indicators, lighter comment colors, hints, etc)
2) Keyboard - Your primary input into your work, you better make sure its comfortable to type on.
3) Build quality - The last thing you want is pieces of your laptop falling off, or your screen wobbling as you type.
Best candidate based these I only can see thinkpad. Waiting for T14 Gen 2 AMD version
MaGNiFiCo
post Jun 30 2021, 02:46 AM

weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,602 posts

QUOTE(bibirbieber @ Jun 20 2021, 03:39 PM)
Best candidate based these I only can see thinkpad. Waiting for T14 Gen 2 AMD version
Never could go wrong with thinkpad. Been using it for my work. Tough machine. Personally own a X240.

I've used T420, X230, X240, X1 Yoga and now T480. nod.gif

This post has been edited by MaGNiFiCo: Jun 30 2021, 02:47 AM
TSbibirbieber
post Jun 30 2021, 11:19 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

QUOTE(MaGNiFiCo @ Jun 30 2021, 02:46 AM)
Never could go wrong with thinkpad. Been using it for my work. Tough machine. Personally own a X240.

I've used T420, X230, X240, X1 Yoga and now T480.  nod.gif
Wow. Thats great.
TSbibirbieber
post Jul 17 2021, 09:00 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

Ordered T14 gen2 intel i5. Hope it will be good to me for all the tasks

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0207sec    0.53    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:04 PM