Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Modify Yaris's Handling? Where to start with?, 2021 Toyota Yaris

views

TSJanwy
post Apr 18 2021, 11:28 AM, updated 3y ago

33 posts

Just bought a 2021 Toyota Yaris with a good bargain.

After a few rounds of driving, feel that its handling needs to be improved. Especially in high speed driving, it feels kind of "floating".

I'm looking at Ultra Racing now. And there are front strut bar, front lower bar, rear lower bar, mid lower bar, anti-roll. Which one to start with? Or is there any other modifications that is recommended?

Thank you for your advise in advance.

user posted image

This post has been edited by Janwy: Apr 18 2021, 11:32 AM
matrix88
post Apr 18 2021, 11:37 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,098 posts

Start with front strut bar
set
post Apr 18 2021, 12:08 PM

Casual
352 posts

wide sticky tyres, rollcage and a gt wing
amscouzach57
post Apr 18 2021, 12:15 PM

Casual
420 posts

Always start with the tyres.

Good set of tyres. Lightweight Alloy Wheels.

Sometimes that's all you need.
croydon
post Apr 18 2021, 01:40 PM

Casual
479 posts

1 - wider tyre

2- front strut bar & rear strut bar/ stabilizer bar
speedy3210
post Apr 18 2021, 01:41 PM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(Janwy @ Apr 18 2021, 11:28 AM)

After a few rounds of driving, feel that its handling needs to be improved. Especially in high speed driving, it feels kind of "floating".

I'm looking at Ultra Racing now. And there are front strut bar, front lower bar, rear lower bar, mid lower bar, anti-roll. Which one to start with? Or is there any other modifications that is recommended?

user posted image
Which spec did you buy? J? E? G?

Forget the bars for a moment. All cars post-2010 (if I have to put a figure) got chassis of respectable rigidity, as compared to 80s/90s cars. So no point going that direction unless you go gymkhana, rally, track etc.

As bro.amscouzach has suggested, always start with your tyre/rims combo.
zeng
post Apr 18 2021, 05:01 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

user posted image
I know your Yaris is new, but for some reasons you want 'handling' improved.

Depending on what aspects of handling you want improvement, imo you should start with redo-ing another wheel alignment re-adjusting/altering what comes from factory, which you desire improvment to suit your 'taste'.

Briefly, for faster cornering/turning thrill you want to make 'as is' camber angles more negative.

Besides you can also ask alignment shop to adjust the front toes to be more positive or more negative for two different types of 'handling' you want it 'corrected' .

Typically front caster angles is not adjustable , but it appears to be not quite relevant with your 'problem' .

Rear alignment angles adjustment? Not sure of your rear suspension type and I suspect it is likely to be of no concern imo.

Spending $$$ on hardware currently may likely not achieving/resolving what you desire specifically.

Note: In case you are re-doing another wheel alignment, kindly take a screenshot (or ask for a print out prior to carrying out the job) and share here what is the specification range of Yaris alignment angles according to computer software.

This post has been edited by zeng: Apr 18 2021, 05:09 PM
SUSDaylight2018
post Apr 18 2021, 07:01 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

I used have to UR bars on my Vios.
But not after it makes certain parts of my car fail prematurely.
E.g. lower arm, absorber.
Due the after installing it, it will make your ride kind of rigid.

I removed it not long ago and tbh, I can't tell the difference.
Like other forumners recommended, go with better tires first.
Acoen
post Apr 18 2021, 07:12 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

Also consider coils over
littlefire
post Apr 19 2021, 09:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,146 posts

First of all, you are buying a new car and it got warranty.
If you add those bar or modify the suspension setting out from original you risk voiding the warranty if you still care about it.
The best option now is still change better brand or suitable tire for your driving pattern like changing to UHP/Sport base tires.
Jescon
post Apr 19 2021, 09:34 AM

Casual
452 posts

High speed floating? Sounds like you need stiffer suspensions - maybe lowered a little.
Chrix
post Apr 19 2021, 10:51 AM

Regular
1,081 posts

What high speed driving area you doing in public roads?... and to mod as if you have reached the limit of the chassis due to your superior driving skills is it?
constant_weight
post Apr 19 2021, 12:11 PM

Enthusiast
856 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Apr 18 2021, 05:01 PM)
I know your Yaris is new, but for some reasons you want 'handling' improved.

Depending on what aspects of handling you want improvement, imo you should start with redo-ing another wheel alignment re-adjusting/altering what comes  from factory, which you desire improvment to suit your 'taste'.

Briefly, for faster cornering/turning thrill you want to make 'as is' camber angles more negative.

Besides you can also ask alignment shop to adjust the front toes to be more positive or more negative for two different types of 'handling' you want it 'corrected' .

Typically front caster angles is not adjustable , but it appears to be not quite relevant with your 'problem' .

Rear alignment angles adjustment? Not sure of your rear suspension type and I suspect it is likely to be of no concern imo.

Spending $$$  on hardware currently may likely not achieving/resolving what you desire specifically.

Note: In case you are re-doing another wheel alignment, kindly take a screenshot (or ask for a print out prior to carrying out the job) and share here what is the specification range of Yaris alignment angles according to computer software.
Rear is torsion beam, nothing to adjust.
Front alignment, I don't think it is safe to do toe-out for street car. The front will be overly twitchy. Generally a little bit of toe-in is good for highway.

Floaty on high speed is common on the urban city car like Vios/City/Myvi/Axia, new Ativa. They all floaty at over 100km/h, they are design for city best 40-60km/h, efficient, light, easy to maneuver with tight turning radius, in traffic jam. Some 80km/h on inter satellite city is fine. Highway should be a couple of time a year, balik kampung use only.

There are very little things can be done without resort to full project car situation. Biggest problem is aerodynamic lift. Any road car has lift, spoiler merely reduce the lift, overall net force still upward (no or negative downforce), but bigger car has more weight and wider body thus less noticeable. Most effective is reducing the ride high, couple cm makes noticeable difference, so lower spring/coil-over helps (no need to be stiffer).

Other suspension mods are useless in the high speed straight line at regular highway. Unless you talking about Nurburgring, talking curb stone at 200km/h, then yes, but even that the mod is longer stroke and softer suspension setup, not firmer. Torsion beam, the beam structure itself is acting as ARB (that's why it is not an independent suspension). Adding rear ARB actually make the rear to slide at lower speed, remember feeling good (less body roll) is not equal to more grip. ARB is a tuning tool to balance front/rear grip (stiffer rear more over steer, stiffer front more understeer). Upgrade to stiffer rear need to come with stiffer front to maintain the balance.

Even if one determined to remove factory spoiler, replace it with a proper calculated wing (not ah beng ricer decoration). Let's assume 300kg of downforce, that's 4 adults weight. It is enough to change the pitch angle of the car, front nose will point 2-5 degrees up. (Remember modern car with HID/LED needs headlight adjustment also need compensate passengers load that influence to pitch angle) Then, in turn front become floaty, have to add front splitter to balance the car back. Bla bla bla... become fix A, break B, then C, a lot of effort + money, in the end overall drag increase, bad fuel economy as well.

In conclusion, my advice is always want/need a fast car, then buy a fast car. Frequent highway use at least C-segment. No budget either get used or delay gratification (live with what one have, then work harder for a couple more years). B-segment is best for city use.
ktek
post Apr 19 2021, 04:42 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,541 posts

u corner limit how much now.
simple diy mod is tyre pressure
ktek
post Apr 19 2021, 04:43 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,541 posts

bar is final touch up. bukan 1st choice
ktek
post Apr 19 2021, 04:44 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,541 posts

if u dunno corner limit how much. then u wanna improve how much.
no guide line tu
pakdamek
post Apr 19 2021, 04:46 PM

On my way
646 posts

user posted image
1. lowered
2. wider rims
3. bars
dares
post Apr 19 2021, 09:20 PM

Enthusiast
827 posts

A good set of coilovers and good tires.
6UE5T
post Apr 19 2021, 11:52 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

Just get better UHP tires first, like Michelin PS3/4, that's the easiest and more effective way of improving handling without voiding your new car warranty. Other things that mod suspension and chassis can be used as excuses to void your warranty. But if you don't care about warranty then besides tires, get a set of sport springs and stiffer dampers, or adjustables if got budget. Those will make much more noticeable improvements than those bars cuz most of those bars are only chassis stiffening which only takes effect if you drive like a racer, but for most people they just add weights. The only bars that you may consider for street use if you drive hard enough are antiroll bars to tune your handling behaviour whether you want more understeer or oversteer.
Quazacolt
post Apr 20 2021, 04:42 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(constant_weight @ Apr 19 2021, 12:11 PM)
Rear is torsion beam, nothing to adjust.
Front alignment, I don't think it is safe to do toe-out for street car. The front will be overly twitchy. Generally a little bit of toe-in is good for highway.

Floaty on high speed is common on the urban city car They all floaty at over 100km/h

so lower spring/coil-over helps (no need to be stiffer).

the mod is longer stroke and softer suspension setup, not firmer. Torsion beam, the beam structure itself is acting as ARB (that's why it is not an independent suspension). Adding rear ARB actually make the rear to slide at lower speed, remember feeling good (less body roll) is not equal to more grip.

become fix A, break B, then C, a lot of effort + money, in the end overall drag increase, bad fuel economy as well.

In conclusion, my advice is always want/need a fast car, then buy a fast car. Frequent highway use at least C-segment. No budget either get used or delay gratification (live with what one have, then work harder for a couple more years). B-segment is best for city use.
Huge salute notworthy.gif for even replying in thorough to a non solution that's being provided.
But I think he recently discovered the wonders of alignment and apparently have a "sub forum" for it laugh.gif

1)Anyways few pointers: Proton Iriz/Persona definitely not floaty above 100, maybe above 150 tongue.gif
2) Typically you'd need to stiffen a lowered height at the suspension require compensation on shorter stroke travels.
3) a suspension can be very soft yet very firm or even harsh (86 BRZ twin is a damn good example)
Key is in damping rate and rebound rate. However that's another rabbit hole that's not within this thread topic.
Very good pointer on the less roll does not necessarily mean more grip thumbup.gif
4) yeap the bottomless/money pit of modding. Modding a mod or workaround is not uncommon especially to new enthusiasts
5) totally agreed, even if it's painful on the wait (eg: starting out with a hand me down econo box)

Janwy take note former Inspira owner
A Proton (maybe you want to exit from Proton brand?) Iriz Persona Is actually a more suitable car than a Yaris if handling/suspension performance is important
However yes comfort wise, Yaris handles potholes and bumps a bit better.
Yes I've test driven all 3 - Yaris/Iriz/Persona

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0210sec    0.47    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:51 AM