Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Official TM UniFi High Speed Broadband Thread V39, READ 1ST PAGE FOR RELEVANT WIFI INFO

views

LostAndFound
post Jan 25 2021, 10:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(shahie @ Jan 25 2021, 09:08 AM)
not referring to anyone bro. just a message or point to him that impossible he can get 1:1 of his subscription speed if he extend the network with wifi mesh or extender, correct me....unless on LAN cable or ethernet backhaul. i admit i'm don't know much on wifi since my era with internet only begin late 90's.
Nothing to do with 1:1. Think of his internet connection as a pipe, fatter pipe give faster flow. The wifi connection is another pipe. That pipe can be bigger than the internet connection pipe.

Extending with mesh is connecting multiple pipes to each other, as long as the thinnest pipe is as fat as the internet connection pipe he can get 1:1 speed. Depends on which is the thinnest pipe (which is why ethernet backend is almost always better, but a strong 5G backend is almost as good).

Extender on the other hand is well known to halve the speed of the wifi. But if the wifi pipe before extender is double the fatness of the internet pipe, this isn't really a problem.

Of course, for gaming the longer the pipe the more latency la.... but that's a different thing from speed (pipe size).
LostAndFound
post Feb 28 2021, 06:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(cskean @ Feb 28 2021, 02:03 AM)
Guys, need some help here...

I'm using a HP Officejet Pro 8730 printer in my home(linked with my home wifi for wireless printing) and recently I just notice that whenever I turn off my printer, my Unifi will be disconnected as well...

At 1st I thought that was Unifi issue but after few times tested with my printer, I can confirm the printer is causing Unifi disconnection.

But I couldn't figure out how can a printer can cause the internet to be disconnected...

Hopefully some network experts here can enlighten me...
Are you turning of the wrong switch? Or maybe the extension cable which power the printer is same as the one which power your modem/router, and when you physically off the switch you are accidentally turning off the supply for modem/router?
LostAndFound
post Mar 1 2021, 08:42 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(cskean @ Feb 28 2021, 11:04 PM)
Yup, it is fax capable. All the while the printer is connected with a telephone line. It was meant for my wife usage, but since she quit her job, I just keep it like that all the while.

I remember with the same setup(where the telephone line is connected to the printer), I didn't encounter such issue before all the while. Only few days ago when I was unable to wirelessly print my son's homework from my laptop, I thought the printer needed a restart(I hardly restart it unless loss connection), then only I found out such situation.

Maybe will try again tomorrow and feedback here the outcome...
Is your printer the sort which connect to network via LAN. Hope it's not running it's own DHCP server pointing to itself....
LostAndFound
post Mar 1 2021, 09:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(TongCN @ Mar 1 2021, 08:50 AM)
EDIT: Test using 3 platform

1) Speed test - 70mbps down +-
2) Fast.com - 67~70mbps down
3) TP-Link Deco app - 306mbps

What?
Deco app is correct because it is directly from router to modem to server.

Your speedtest/fast.com is from your machine (PC/laptop/phone) which is connected via wifi. Those speeds means you are connecting via 2.4GHz probably. Connect by LAN/5G and you will see close to 300.
LostAndFound
post Mar 7 2021, 09:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(silverbell @ Mar 7 2021, 04:24 AM)
Contacted unifi chat online and was offered to renew my unifi 2 year contract for RM139 for 300mbps broadband only.
Is this rate ok?
Grab. Very good rate (this is what I'm paying now). Even if without free calls/hypptv (who uses those anyway).
LostAndFound
post Mar 13 2021, 10:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Mar 12 2021, 07:45 PM)
If not mistaken, TM needs you to use back the TM router to create report when there’s an issue?
Not true, if there's issue you can just say you're using 3rd party router. Very common, it won't prevent them creating report.

Of course if they send people to check and issue is your router then you get charge the RM50+SST la.
LostAndFound
post May 9 2021, 08:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(tru.shyne @ May 7 2021, 04:43 PM)
Ok just called 100 again asking the port status. Surprisingly now port is available.
I quickly checked on Unifi online application. my house unit number now is in their system

but i still think Unifi is abit expensive
may consider going for Digi/Celcom
Peace of mind better to get Unifi. Digi/Celcom ride on Unifi, if Unifi got problem they also have, and resolving is longer.
LostAndFound
post Jul 14 2021, 08:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(zioburosky13 @ Jul 14 2021, 05:12 PM)
Wonder do those who has 1Gbps get full download speed at all.
Why would you even want/need full download speed from a single source? High speeds are meant to cater to multiple users rather than for one user to be happy about some arbitrarily high number.
LostAndFound
post Jul 18 2021, 04:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(The.Lucas.DaY @ Jul 18 2021, 03:32 PM)
Hi guys, can please recommend an affordable mesh wifi model? Currently looking at Tp-link M4 should be enough for my need as my Unifi plan is 100Mbps (upgradable to 300mbps),
- can replace my old router (Dlink dir-842) ? or it should work with my old router
- can only 1 unit working standalone?

Thanks in advance
If you only want one unit then why you asking about mesh? Mesh units sacrifice a few different features to gain the meshing capability (multiple AP sharing same wifi). If you're not going to use that, definitely don't buy mesh unit, there are cheaper better options.
LostAndFound
post Aug 9 2021, 08:29 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(shaktiv8 @ Aug 7 2021, 05:36 PM)
Hello everyone!!

I’m moving overseas soon to pursue further studies and I’m trying to watch 4K videos of the places that I can go too

This whole day I have been having major buffering issues on YouTube 4K even when connected to tv using cable

On my phone with 5ghz also same slow speeds when watching YouTube 4K. Sometimes 8-10mbps sometimes can even reach 300mbps on YouTube

Is there anyway besides vpn to make it faster? I’ve tried ipv6 and it’s still the same. I’m guessing the content is not hosted locally?

My speedtests to London is around 70mbps but Singapore can get full 800++

Here is the link to the video in question
  https://youtu.be/fW_tF_iXZWk
If unable to fix the speed issue, then can consider just downloading the youtube video and watching locally. Better than watching a buffering video IMO.
LostAndFound
post Aug 9 2021, 10:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

Surely that's a TM issue, definitely they have to fix it.

It's 2021 though, many telco plans (even prepaid) have unlimited calls. When my TM phone battery totally died I didn't even bother to replace, just treat it as if I don't have a landline.

Of course I don't have elderly relative staying with me who may want to use landline, but for any working age or younger, any benefit to landline?
LostAndFound
post Aug 10 2021, 09:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(jcws87 @ Aug 9 2021, 12:38 PM)
Actually there is a benefit of having a landline. Have experience before where your mobile telco service down when you want to call someone? Yes, I know this cases are rare but still you have atleast a backup line in need.
In fact for me the mobile telco line is the backup, most communication is online nowadays (chat via whatsapp, call via whatsapp or the video call sites like zoom, google, teams).
LostAndFound
post Aug 12 2021, 02:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(TheUndead @ Aug 12 2021, 10:52 AM)
hi lyn forum . good morning . just want to ask did anybody else received a call from this number recently

+60 3 2106 2000

a guys claims he’s from tm unifi and asked permission to check house unifi line in case of problems not reaching max speeds. pro active check katanya. just thought i’d ask just to be extra safe
Did not receive. But sounds very suspicious. I suggest call unifi direct to ask them about it.

The less dangerous possibility is that this guy is from Maxis and want to 'check' and sell you upgrade. But never heard they ask to come visit before la.

The more dangerous possibility no need say, I'm sure you are familiar.
LostAndFound
post Aug 24 2021, 04:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(Mr.Ben @ Aug 24 2021, 03:37 PM)
Hi Guys,

I bought a Deco M9 Plus and it was not able to connect directly to Modem (PPOE) but works fine if connected to router (Dynamic IP), I think I'm doing everything right - Unifi Username and Password, VLAN settings On etc.

My Deco M9 Plus turns red after putting in my PPOE details (although accurate details)

What could be the issue here?
As long as PPPOE and VLAN (500) is correct then should work ah. It's not complicated to set up. Possibly your unit got defect?
LostAndFound
post Oct 13 2021, 04:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(Oltromen Ripot @ Oct 13 2021, 01:11 PM)
I'm not intimidated. It's just the fact that I was not aware that my newly-installed unifi have world-reachable public IP before this morning. I ticked allow https access to gateway from internet, and was able to from a mobile line.
Now that I am aware, it's time to beef its security layers to more than just a meager DIR-830M.
That's... one of the good selling point of Unifi though compared to for example Maxis.

QUOTE(SilentVampire @ Oct 13 2021, 01:23 PM)
If you are that worried of your security, get the TP-Link or Asus routers that have built in security features. That is the best alternative if you are not a technical person.
Not necessary if you're not opening/forwarding ports (like he was trying). And if you are port forwarding, then there's really nothing your router can do since you're explicitly allowing traffic in to your machine.

QUOTE(Oltromen Ripot @ Oct 13 2021, 04:00 PM)
please ... don't mar my joy by suggesting simplistic hardware  😏
"honey, i really need to buy this and skip sleep over that and it's all because of them for you.... they always say kesenangan hari ini untuk kesengsaraan hari esok, so lets avoid that by preventing it upfront."
tongue.gif
LostAndFound
post Oct 14 2021, 10:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(haturaya @ Oct 14 2021, 10:20 AM)
I did. Internal info from TM higher ups. Within 12 months, all dynamic public IP will be moved to private IP. Except those with fix public IP package.
RIP all gaming in MY?
LostAndFound
post Oct 15 2021, 10:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Oct 14 2021, 07:03 PM)
Buy used Mikrotik router and just use it for the DDNS. Dunno if free for life but so far, no charges.
Why need a router's service for DDNS? Something like duckdns (ipv4 only) works just fine (I use ddclient to update it, never needed to think much about it for years). noip offers ipv6 since 2 years ago I think (if TM ever stops giving ipv4 public IP then that's what I'll be doing instead of trying too mess with VPS forwarding).
LostAndFound
post Oct 15 2021, 03:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(go626201 @ Oct 15 2021, 10:38 AM)
Because not every one have pc at home, second didn't want to 24 hours pc on,third didn't need to install application on pc,and last it is free to use with easy setup.
You... have to buy the device though. And I've never heard anyone describe mikrotik as 'easy setup' (maybe it is, I haven't tried, but from what I've seen it looks much more complex than other router brands).
LostAndFound
post Oct 22 2021, 04:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(YoungMan @ Oct 22 2021, 01:04 PM)
That is so lucky of you. They do not offer such pricing even if you call 100.
Actually 300Mbps for RM139 + tax is quite a common combo here. Those of us who took a particular deal back in 2019 (called Year End Promo) got some free months (up to 3+ if I remember correctly) at the cost of extending our contract. This converted our upgraded 30Mbps (which was pushed to 300 already) to permanent discount. The 30Mbps deal itself was I think in 2017 or early 2018 promo for RM139 (which a lot of people signed up because only RM10 more than the RM129 plan most were on that time).

Of course if you check back this thread previous version got people who didn't take the deal, scared of contract extension and suspect TM was tricking users to lock down price before newer cheaper plans. Never happened (maybe because Pakatan fell, who knows).

LostAndFound
post Dec 6 2021, 10:47 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,586 posts

QUOTE(jhleo1 @ Dec 6 2021, 10:25 AM)
Just "upgraded" my unifi 100mbps RM129 (Super Value YEP 2019) to 300mbps RM129 (Basic - staywithunifi) at TM Point Center morning. The whole process very smooth. I just showed the counter the pricelist 300mbps RM129 package and was asked was the pricelist given by 100, I just answered yes. No further question asked. The new package will be effective after 24 hours. I checked the myunifi app and it actually updated. However speed will remain the same when I asked my wife to do speedtest from home.

HayateAyakasi8, thanks for sharing the pricelist. Save my time to ask at TM Point Center.
Is discount listed as permanent in myunifi?

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0282sec    0.46    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:25 PM