Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Google Certified Mecool KM1 Deluxe 2020 4K TV Box, Android 10 | S905X3 | 4GB RAM | 32GB ROM (Review)

views

TSvoncrane
post Nov 23 2020, 10:33 AM, updated 10 months ago

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

Hey all.. I hope you are all staying safe out there in these times (Cuz Corona...!!!).. Welcome to yet another one of my comprehensive reviews. This time I'll be reviewing the latest Google Certified Mecool KM1 Deluxe TV Box running Android 10 ATV OS. The KM1 Deluxe is one of 3 variants simultaneously released earlier this year. They all share the same exterior & internals except RAM & or Storage amount...We have the;
KM1 Classic, the cheapest of the 3 and equipped with 2GBs RAM & 16GBs storage.

Attached Image

Then there's the Deluxe which I have here, which is equipped with 4GBs RAM & 32GBs of storage.

Attached Image

Lastly, and the most expensive of them all...the KM1 Collective packing 4GBs of RAM & 64GB of Storage.

Attached Image

MECOOL KM1 DELUXE SPECIFICATIONS
CPU: AMLOGIC S905X3 QUAD-CORE (UP TO 1.9GHZ)
GPU: MALI-G31 MP2
RAM: 4GB (DDR4)
STORAGE: 32GB
BLUETOOTH: 4.2
WI-FI: DUAL-BAND AC (2T2R)...**See below for brief explanation on what 2T2R means.
LED INDICATOR: SMART BREATHING LIGHT
DRM: MICROSOFT PLAYREADY, GOOGLE WIDEVINE L1
HDR: 4K HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, AND TECHNICOLOR HDR PROCESSING
PORTS
1X AV
1X USB 2.0
1X USB 3.0
1X POWER (DC 5V)
1X MICRO-SD CARD
1X 10/100M ETHERNET
1X HDMI (V2.1 & HDCP 2.2) UP TO 4K@60FPS
MACHINE SIZE/WEIGHT: 100*100*17.5MM / 143G
BOX CONTENTS
1X ADAPTER
1X GIFT BOX
1X VOICE REMOTE
1X HDMI CABLE
1X USER MANUAL

**2T2R stands for 2 Transmitter, 2 receivers. This like MIMO stands for “multiple input, multiple output.” A 4×4 MIMO device has four antennas for four simultaneous data streams, while a 2×2 MIMO or 2T2R like this Mecool KM1 Deluxe has two simultaneous data streams. Offering 100% increase in throughput versus a single antenna setup. As shown in the video below, this I believe helped the box achieve faster network speeds than via the 100Mbps limited Ethernet port.

Attached Image

Check out my review video below to find all you'll ever need to know about this Android TV Box. Network & File-Transfer speed tests, Benchmarks, 3D Game-play, Emulator Gaming, Local Media Playback using Kodi (I ran tests on VLC too but omitted it to prevent an even lengthier video sweat.gif ), and Video Streaming performance from ALL major providers. Such as free Live TV via the Plex app & also streaming high bitrate 4K UHD HEVC bluray content off my Windows 10 PC Server, Hulu (Live TV & VOD), Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, ESPN+, Crunchyroll, iFlix, UnifiTV, PlayTV@Unifi, Twitch, Vimeo, Play Movies & TV, YouTube, Smart YouTube TV, YouTube Kids, and not to forget...ehem IPTV apk up to 4K... So I hope you good folks enjoy it and as usual it helps you in your buying decision.

CONS
*No root and thus no AFRd support
*Single USB 3.0 port
*10/100M Ethernet
*Netflix max 540p. There might be a way to get it up to at least 1080P. But since no official support? I didn't want to mod/tweak until that level as most people wouldn't want to do all that if Netflix is a priority. Best to use the bundled app on your TV or a Netflix certified box.
*UnifiTV & playtv@unifi crashes...Typical TM..zzz... Although it could just be that particular version. Who knows an update might fix it.
*DTS-HD MA & DD+ (core Dolby Digital passed-through)
*No DTS:X or Dolby ATMOS or Dolby Vision support
*Unkilled stutters and poor emulator gaming performance.

PROS
*No Root
*OTA FW Updates
*Excellent Streaming
*Local media Playback (Somewhat)
*Official Android 10
*Google Voice Assistant, Google Cast & Google Home
*Bundled remote with dedicated buttons
*Fast eMMc storage speeds
*IPTV up to 4K
*YouTube up to 4K HDR
*Prime up to 4K UHD
*Gaming (Most ATV OS Games).
*Full Dolby Digital & DTS supported up to 7.1.

Gray Area
*Netflix FHD
*Disney+ Mobile App (up to 4K HDR)
*Disney+ Android TV (maxes out at SD)
*Astro Go might work.
*No YouTube 8K

Thanks to fellow forummer Scissorshand who graciously lent me his device for this review. notworthy.gif So.... The usual, kindly smash the like button, share and sub to my YouTube channel in appreciation, every bit counts. I appreciate all who have shown their support by subscribing. More in-depth reviews, tutorials n stuff coming.. Thanks.

Some Info & Purchase URLs
Official Mecool KM1 Product Page
Purchase from Shopee Malaysia
Purchase from Lazada Malaysia
Purchase from Gearbest
Purchase from Geekbuying

This post has been edited by voncrane: Nov 23 2020, 10:44 AM
TSvoncrane
post Nov 23 2020, 10:36 AM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

Reserved for future updates
sHawTY
post Nov 23 2020, 11:22 AM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,093 posts

Too bad not Netflix certified. Would buy this in a heartbeat if it does
Any good Android Box with both Google & Netflix certified?

Not looking for Mi Box as their RAM & storage is too low
And Nvidia Shield is way too expensive
blurjoey
post Nov 23 2020, 12:42 PM

Sumo Hammy!
5,852 posts

Can consider this android tvbox smile.gif
:3mushy:3
post Nov 23 2020, 01:20 PM

<--~(--+<[o]>+--)~-->
4,712 posts

Specs looks OK but as per other 'less-official' Android boxes, I'm concerned with the support and longevity of the channels.
TSvoncrane
post Nov 24 2020, 07:03 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Nov 23 2020, 11:22 AM)
Too bad not Netflix certified. Would buy this in a heartbeat if it does
Any good Android Box with both Google & Netflix certified?

Not looking for Mi Box as their RAM & storage is too low
And Nvidia Shield is way too expensive
Well... Assuming one's TV doesn't support it. Netflix certification is the problem. Once that is thrown into the mix..As you can see, your choices are severely limited immediately. If you don't want to spring for the Shield or MiBox, you can consider mixing 2 devices..Cheaper Google's chromecast or sticks just for Netflix, supplement with a decent box for other playback needs.

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Nov 23 2020, 12:42 PM)
Can consider this android tvbox smile.gif
Other boxes I've reviewed not considered Android TV box...? cry.gif

QUOTE(:3mushy:3 @ Nov 23 2020, 01:20 PM)
Specs looks OK but as per other 'less-official' Android boxes, I'm concerned with the support and longevity of the channels.
I assume you are talking about ehem iptv channels? When you buy a computer, does it come with "channels" or you install services on it. sweat.gif ... This is a Google certified box, it does have its channels as you can see on the homescreen. The rest of the illegal stuff you'll have to source and install on your own. Support and reliability depends on the service you sub to. Unfortunately, I refuse to get into specific details on a public forum given the government's stance on such. However, as the video shows.. You can get it working.. Install & run is all. no special tricks or geo-locks. icon_rolleyes.gif
Scissorshand
post Dec 2 2020, 10:57 PM

Regular
1,438 posts

You're welcome Voncrane for your honest review as always although you're not benefiting financially from this box but hope it'll be soon

As mentioned I'm happy with this box as it currently ticked all my requirement incl 1080p Netflix* cos my Toshiba Full LED still ain't giving up after 9 years 😂 Upper floor has another awesome/reliable Toshiba ZV series which is I think 13 years old and still rocking with PS4 as spare, paired with KM9 Pro box in case I needed personal time to watch sports event 😜

It is now my daily driver replacing the Mecool M8S Pro L

M8S Pro L - it couldn't play Disney+, all others OK
KM9 Pro - for strange reason it couldn't play Hulu smoothly, all others OK (maybe I need to reset the box and try it all over again) and perhaps sell it 😝

Cheers!

This post has been edited by Scissorshand: Dec 3 2020, 12:20 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
coolguy99
post Mar 10 2021, 07:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,064 posts

Looking to get this or the new KM6 Deluxe. Noticed that AstroGo is listed as grey area above, has anyone tried if it is working yet?

Also how does this box compares to KM6 Deluxe?

This post has been edited by coolguy99: Mar 10 2021, 07:02 AM
AVFAN
post Mar 10 2021, 02:11 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
23,385 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Nov 23 2020, 10:33 AM)
CONS
*No root and thus no AFRd support
*Single USB 3.0 port
*10/100M Ethernet
*Netflix max 540p. There might be a way to get it up to at least 1080P. But since no official support? I didn't want to mod/tweak until that level as most people wouldn't want to do all that if Netflix is a priority. Best to use the bundled app on your TV or a Netflix certified box.
*UnifiTV & playtv@unifi crashes...Typical TM..zzz... Although it could just be that particular version. Who knows an update might fix it.
*DTS-HD MA & DD+ (core Dolby Digital passed-through)
*No DTS:X or Dolby ATMOS or Dolby Vision support

*Unkilled stutters and poor emulator gaming performance.

PROS
*No Root
*OTA FW Updates
*Excellent Streaming
*Local media Playback (Somewhat)
*Official Android 10
*Google Voice Assistant, Google Cast & Google Home
*Bundled remote with dedicated buttons
*Fast eMMc storage speeds
*IPTV up to 4K
*YouTube up to 4K HDR
*Prime up to 4K UHD
*Gaming (Most ATV OS Games).
*Full Dolby Digital & DTS supported up to 7.1.
hi bro,

can see that u r still very busy testing all these boxes! biggrin.gif

for 1 year now, i try to look for a new box but there isn't one that does what i want!

.. 1080p/4k hdr/DV auto framerate switching for PLAYBACK.
.. dts/dtshdma/dtsx-dd/dd+/ddtruehd/ddatmos for PLAYBACK.
.. plays bdmv (no menu never mind)

no need netflix HD/4K as TV can do.
no need axtrogo/unifiplaytv as i have others that can do.

while some boxes list as DV/DDatmos but is only for online streaming, not playback, e.g. shieldTV

there is this beelink GSKing-X which supposedly can do DDtrueHD but only via corelec - how does that work?
https://tvboxstop.com/64gb-tv-boxes-2017-tv...91%80-must-see/
https://tvboxstop.com/tv-box-rank-chart-2020/

Ugoos, Minix... all cannot do DDtrueHD; Himedia old models can but no new model, looks silly to buy something >8 years old.
may need to go for Zidoo - but rm1.5k... a bit too high for my liking.

Anything else I should take a closer look at?

This post has been edited by AVFAN: Mar 10 2021, 02:26 PM
TSvoncrane
post Mar 12 2021, 05:19 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(coolguy99 @ Mar 10 2021, 07:02 AM)
Looking to get this or the new KM6 Deluxe. Noticed that AstroGo is listed as grey area above, has anyone tried if it is working yet?

Also how does this box compares to KM6 Deluxe?
Hi...Unfortunately, I didn't have Astro login back then to test if it works. The app installs and launches just fine. That's why it's under the grey area section. So here are the differences between the Mecool KM1 Deluxe and the newer Mecool KM6 Deluxe (not Classic).
Attached Image

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Mar 10 2021, 02:11 PM)
hi bro,

can see that u r still very busy testing all these boxes! biggrin.gif

for 1 year now, i try to look for a new box but there isn't one that does what i want!

.. 1080p/4k hdr/DV auto framerate switching for PLAYBACK.
.. dts/dtshdma/dtsx-dd/dd+/ddtruehd/ddatmos for PLAYBACK.
.. plays bdmv (no menu never mind)

no need netflix HD/4K as TV can do.
no need axtrogo/unifiplaytv as i have others that can do.

while some boxes list as DV/DDatmos but is only for online streaming, not playback, e.g. shieldTV

there is this beelink GSKing-X which supposedly can do DDtrueHD but only via corelec - how does that work?
https://tvboxstop.com/64gb-tv-boxes-2017-tv...91%80-must-see/
https://tvboxstop.com/tv-box-rank-chart-2020/

Ugoos, Minix... all cannot do DDtrueHD; Himedia old models can but no new model, looks silly to buy something >8 years old.

Anything else I should take a closer look at?
Haha... Yeah, we still looking for that elusive TV Box to do it all. Although, i've been using the Beelink GS-King X and I can confidently say it ticks most of my boxes for now. Well, that's until I upgrade my AV system. CoreELEC is a wonderful OS. Unfortunately, many don't give it enough credit. So for me to be able to easily dual-boot and switch between each OS is handy. It just simply works. Partly because Beelink is an official partner and thus the devs do take their hardware into account when pushing out updates. Additionally, CoreELEC is a "Kodi fork" that was built for the big screen from the ground up. Unlike most regular Android boxes that are running a heavily modified Android OS that was originally built for mobile devices only. I can see Google being concerned enough if it was ATV OS, but regular Android for such boxes? Nah... So up to each manufacturer and or custom ROM chefs to put in the work.

On another note, perhaps wait for the upcoming Mecool KM2 instead? Mecool announced it should be available in about a month. They promising Dolby Audio and advertising it. So at minimum they paid the rights to it. So perhaps it'll pass that DD TrueHD you seek? and even ATMOS? icon_idea.gif ..Looks like Mecool finally broke through all Netflix's barriers.. Looking at you Beelink.. laugh.gif

MECOOL KM2 is an Andriod TV 10 powered media player with the new Google reference design remote control. Except for the old features of MECOOL Android TV box which including Google official Android TV 10 OS, built-in Chromecast, Google Assistant supported, 4k HDR, Prime Video, Youtube 4K, etc. MECOOL KM2 has built-in the Netflix for TVs version with on Android operating system. It supports Netflix 4K streaming!

This new product MECOOL KM2 will be able to delivered on 15th, April, 2021. Pre-oder will be available laterly this month.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by voncrane: Mar 12 2021, 05:23 PM
AVFAN
post Mar 12 2021, 05:25 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
23,385 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Mar 12 2021, 05:19 PM)
Hi...Unfortunately, I didn't have Astro login back then to test if it works. The app installs and launches just fine. That's why it's under the grey area section. So here are the differences between the Mecool KM1 Deluxe and the newer Mecool KM6 Deluxe (not Classic).
Attached Image
Haha... Yeah, we still looking for that elusive TV Box to do it all. Although, i've been using the Beelink GS-King X and I can confidently say it ticks most of my boxes for now. Well, that's until I upgrade my AV system. CoreELEC is a wonderful OS. Unfortunately, many don't give it enough credit. So for me to be able to easily dual-boot and switch between each OS is handy. It just simply works. Partly because Beelink is an official partner and thus the devs do take their hardware into account when pushing out updates. Additionally, CoreELEC is a "Kodi fork" that was built for the big screen from the ground up. Unlike most regular Android boxes that are running a heavily modified Android OS that was originally built for mobile devices only. I can see Google being concerned enough if it was ATV OS, but regular Android for such boxes? Nah... So up to each manufacturer and or custom ROM chefs to put in the work.

On another note, perhaps wait for the upcoming Mecool KM2 instead? Mecool announced it should be available in about a month. They promising Dolby Audio and advertising it. So at minimum they paid the rights to it. So perhaps it'll pass that DD TrueHD you seek? and even ATMOS?  icon_idea.gif ..Looks like Mecool finally broke through all Netflix's barriers.. Looking at you Beelink.. laugh.gif

MECOOL KM2 is an Andriod TV 10 powered media player with the new Google reference design remote control. Except for the old features of MECOOL Android TV box which including Google official Android TV 10 OS, built-in Chromecast, Google Assistant supported, 4k HDR, Prime Video, Youtube 4K, etc. MECOOL KM2 has built-in the Netflix for TVs version with on Android operating system. It supports Netflix 4K streaming! 

This new product MECOOL KM2 will be able to delivered on 15th, April, 2021. Pre-oder will be available laterly this month.

Attached Image
OK, thanks.

look forward to your review of KM2!
AVFAN
post Mar 20 2021, 12:50 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
23,385 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Mar 10 2021, 02:11 PM)
out of impatience and budget, i bought a himedia Q30 - a slightly lower version of the Q10pro.

for rm300, serves my purpose very well alto 4 years old.

playback HD audio incl ddtrueHD; auto framerate switching; plays BDMV/m2ts; unifi playtv fine.

retired an old box! biggrin.gif

will still check newer boxes coming out... but i guess the same direction continues - focus on online streaming, netflix 4k... not much use for me...
TSvoncrane
post Mar 21 2021, 10:01 AM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Mar 20 2021, 12:50 PM)
out of impatience and budget, i bought a himedia Q30 - a slightly lower version of the Q10pro.

for rm300, serves my purpose very well alto 4 years old.

playback HD audio incl ddtrueHD; auto framerate switching; plays BDMV/m2ts; unifi playtv fine.

retired an old box! biggrin.gif
will still check newer boxes coming out... but i guess the same direction continues - focus on online streaming, netflix 4k... not much use for me...
Although I'm not a fan of the "weak specs" like 2GB DDR3 RAM & 8GB eMMC storage.. But hey, where audio passthrough is concerned? Simply can't go wrong with a HiMedia device. Haha, Congrats on finally retiring your HiMedia Q10Pro rclxms.gif ..Itchy fingers win... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by voncrane: Mar 21 2021, 10:08 AM
AVFAN
post Mar 22 2021, 09:33 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
23,385 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Mar 21 2021, 10:01 AM)
Although I'm not a fan of the "weak specs" like 2GB DDR3 RAM & 8GB eMMC storage.. But hey, where audio passthrough is concerned? Simply can't go wrong with a HiMedia device. Haha, Congrats on finally retiring your HiMedia Q10Pro  rclxms.gif ..Itchy fingers win... biggrin.gif
no, Q10pro is still v good, in use - i have 2 home theaters.

retired the older Q16.
TSvoncrane
post Mar 22 2021, 04:59 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Mar 22 2021, 09:33 AM)
no, Q10pro is still v good, in use - i have 2 home theaters.

retired the older Q16.
Ah, I see... thumbup.gif
AVFAN
post Mar 22 2021, 05:35 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
23,385 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Mar 22 2021, 04:59 PM)
Ah, I see...  thumbup.gif
after almost a decade of "boxes", it is clear to me diff users look for diff things.

i look for boxes for playback picture quality and audio quality... audio does not mean anything to some users.

some users look for netflix HD/4k - i have no use for that becos i already have 2 tvs that can do that.

for now, i have everything i want/use.

when i finally upgrade my home theaters to DV/atmos/DTSX, i will have to look for another box! laugh.gif
Scissorshand
post Apr 27 2021, 10:41 PM

Regular
1,438 posts

Voncrane pleased to share an important update (at least to me rclxm9.gif ) that there's a new apk for Netflix 1080p with 5.1 passthru and compatible with stock remote rclxm9.gif . Personally, this new apk works well on both KM9 Pro and KM1 boxes i currently have rclxms.gif .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SdTRwShxIs...SZWuAE5Fwq/view

Below are screenshot ..

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
TSvoncrane
post Apr 28 2021, 05:49 AM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(Scissorshand @ Apr 27 2021, 10:41 PM)
Voncrane pleased to share an important update (at least to me rclxm9.gif ) that there's a new apk for Netflix 1080p with 5.1 passthru and compatible with stock remote rclxm9.gif . Personally, this new apk works well on both KM9 Pro and KM1 boxes i currently have rclxms.gif .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SdTRwShxIs...SZWuAE5Fwq/view

Below are screenshot ..
Yasssss.... Mice still winning!!! thumbup.gif
choonsern
post Jul 29 2021, 11:46 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

how is the performance of unifitv and astro go on this box?
TSvoncrane
post Aug 5 2021, 11:22 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(choonsern @ Jul 29 2021, 11:46 PM)
how is the performance of unifitv and astro go on this box?
Hey..unfortunately, I don't have the box with me anymore... I do remember the Astro Go app launched fine but i couldn't test further because i don't have an Astro sub. So could work fine.. UnifiTV app kept crashing during my tests.. Probably got an update since then to fix it.. Again, i can't speak for now.. Perhaps Scissorshand can shed more light on these 2 issues? sweat.gif
Scissorshand
post Aug 6 2021, 10:38 AM

Regular
1,438 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Aug 5 2021, 11:22 PM)
Hey..unfortunately, I don't have the box with me anymore... I do remember the Astro Go app launched fine but i couldn't test further because i don't have an Astro sub. So could work fine.. UnifiTV app kept crashing during my tests.. Probably got an update since then to fix it.. Again, i can't speak for now.. Perhaps Scissorshand can shed more light on these 2 issues?  sweat.gif
UnifiTV app download from Play Store works well on this box unsure about Astro Go as i don't have rclxs0.gif

Just maybe broJusmafia would know hmm.gif
TSvoncrane
post Aug 6 2021, 03:22 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(Scissorshand @ Aug 6 2021, 10:38 AM)
UnifiTV app download from Play Store works well on this box unsure about Astro Go as i don't have rclxs0.gif

Just maybe broJusmafia would know hmm.gif
Haha.. Cut my Astro cord over a decade ago... biggrin.gif .. Thanks for confirming the UnifiTV works..
Scissorshand
post Oct 23 2021, 08:50 AM

Regular
1,438 posts

Bro Voncrane

Recently got a new Sony X90j, hooked up the box using Ugreen hdmi 2.1 8K directly to the TV, connected TV via coaxial to my old avr. I noticed ie on netflix, say korean drama My Name, the box indicated 4K HDR while the same time when using Netflix directly fro the TV, it shows Dolby Vision.

Hence did you encounter the same when you tested on your 4k TV?

This post has been edited by Scissorshand: Oct 30 2021, 11:25 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
TSvoncrane
post Oct 27 2021, 12:25 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(Scissorshand @ Oct 23 2021, 08:50 AM)
Bro Voncrane

Recently got a new Sony X90j, hooked up the box using Ugreen hdmi 2.1 8K directly to the TV, connected TV via coaxial to my old avr. I noticed ie on netflix, say korean drama My Name, the box indicated 4K HDR while the same time when using Netflix directly fro the TV, it shows Dolby Vision.

Hence did you encounter the same when you tested on your 4k TV?
Ah... Firstly, conglats on the new TV set.. thumbup.gif .. And yeah, such is normal. The box itself (unlike say the Nvidia Shield) can't process Netflix DV/DA and thus maxes out at 4K HDR10. Your beasty X90J on the other hand does support Dolby Vision® and Dolby Atmos® and the Netflix app can tap into those. Since you already have a decent TV and the TV app almost always (99.99%) outperforms an external TV box especially where Netflix is concerned. Best to use the TV app instead for Netflix, YouTube and other native TV apps for viewing their content. The app will work best on the TV, colors will be more accurate too as all the processing is done natively on and by the TV, versus receiving video signals off the box and trying to upscale/refine the visuals to match the TV's display.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0269sec    0.10    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th August 2022 - 05:01 AM