Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What a complete newbie to gym should start with?

views

TSkampungpeopleinkl P
post Jul 29 2020, 03:09 AM, updated 4y ago

Probation
11 posts

I finally got my gym membership last week. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† So excited. But I never done sports or bodybuilding before. That's why I'm completely clueless right now. For those who were once in similar situation as I am, what routine should I start with? Any secret to share with me?
OneFarEast
post Jul 29 2020, 03:12 AM

Getting Started
81 posts

Light cardio + 5x5
Daniel Joseph
post Jul 29 2020, 03:22 AM

Getting Started
237 posts

What do you have in mind?
Gain weight?
Lose weight?
Or just to break a sweat?
If you wanna lift weights to gain muscle, you need to know your body type first.
And then the types of workouts for targeted muscle groups.
Kaellis
post Jul 29 2020, 08:32 AM

WTF i'm reading....
1,231 posts

Your muscle will sore after roughly 2 days after you work it out

DOMS is normal

After several weeks, the muscle will adapt and no more sore

freshgraduate2020
post Jul 29 2020, 09:52 AM

47 posts

Figure out you want gain muscle or lose weight first.

If gain weight, start by lifting everything and get familiarize with all equipments and posture. Don't even think about increasing the weight until you can get the basic done.

TSkampungpeopleinkl P
post Jul 29 2020, 10:27 AM

Probation
11 posts

QUOTE(Daniel Joseph @ Jul 29 2020, 03:22 AM)
What do you have in mind?
Gain weight?
Lose weight?
Or just to break a sweat?
If you wanna lift weights to gain muscle, you need to know your body type first.
And then the types of workouts for targeted muscle groups.
I am decently thin, but my upper body is fat. I guess that's what people call as "skinny fat". I don't know if I should start with either bulking or cutting. Also, from my first day(and one free session with the gym's personal trainer), I don't have enough strength to complete the full 10 reps of the basic exercises like squats, push ups, sit ups and etcera. How can I get enough strength to do any general exercises?
Amedion
post Jul 29 2020, 11:29 AM

It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's star
3,377 posts

QUOTE(kampungpeopleinkl @ Jul 29 2020, 10:27 AM)
I am decently thin, but my upper body is fat. I guess that's what people call as "skinny fat". I don't know if I should start with either bulking or cutting. Also, from my first day(and one free session with the gym's personal trainer), I don't have enough strength to complete the full 10 reps of the basic exercises like squats, push ups, sit ups and etcera. How can I get enough strength to do any general exercises?
The problem with PT is they push beginners to die. So much reps and sets without using the correct muscle. Severe doms and might scare people off or risk of injury.

Just warm up and stretch properly. Try all machines there. Doesn't have to be a lot. Practise the movement. Go free weight when you have abit of confidence already. Always check your form by looking at mirror or ask someone experience to check; not reps/sets/weights. Go back read google/watch youtube. Maybe u can try starting strength once you're ready. Slowly progress from there.

Always remember. You don't go to gym hit all muscles until sore for several days cannot walk. That's overtraining. Not going to build tons of muscle. Muscle takes time to build. No magic.
Daniel Joseph
post Jul 29 2020, 02:39 PM

Getting Started
237 posts

QUOTE(kampungpeopleinkl @ Jul 29 2020, 10:27 AM)
If you’re thin, focus on big muscle groups such as chest, back and legs.
Do compound exercises rather than isolation.
Create a set of reps for every exercise type.
If you don’t have the strength to complete full 10 reps, it is fine, no big deal.
Try to do something like this instead i.e 4 sets of bench press.
As your increase your weight, you lower your reps.
1x10 reps, 2x8 reps, 3x6 reps, 4x4 reps.
Carefully choose weight you can handle until that last set (4x4 reps).
Focus on the technique and stick to the regimen until you feel that 4x 4 reps is easy later on you know you gain strength.
Don’t forget to take a break after you finish a set i.e 45 seconds. Loosen up and stretch.
And have a rest day to recover those muscles.
TSkampungpeopleinkl P
post Aug 1 2020, 09:21 PM

Probation
11 posts

First of all, I want to say thanks to everybody that took the time replying to my post. All of your advices will not be taken for granted.

Anyway, I still have 2 questions to ask. First question, what kind of routines would you recommend for those who just stepped on to the gym? There are 2 people who were recommended me(OneFarEast, you were not ignored) of their routines and I would likely follow it, but for the sake of curiosity I want to ask more.

Secondly, there are several promoting ads I saw about FitGun on Facebook, and I want to know if it was really effective. Thanks again!
Amedion
post Aug 3 2020, 01:07 PM

It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's star
3,377 posts

QUOTE(kampungpeopleinkl @ Aug 1 2020, 09:21 PM)
First of all, I want to say thanks to everybody that took the time replying to my post. All of your advices will not be taken for granted.

Anyway, I still have 2 questions to ask. First question, what kind of routines would you recommend for those who just stepped on to the gym? There are 2 people who were recommended me(OneFarEast, you were not ignored) of their routines and I would likely follow it, but for the sake of curiosity I want to ask more.

Secondly, there are several promoting ads I saw about FitGun on Facebook, and I want to know if it was really effective. Thanks again!
1. 5x5 is a workout programm called STARTING STRENGTH.
2. That device is called Electric Muscle stimulus or something like that. Basically its too insignificant for normal healthy person. More to rehab or people who have injury and unable to move. Well, if you're a person who lazy until u cant get up your couch then it might help you. Otherwise, do proper exercise far more beneficial.
JayMiom P
post Aug 3 2020, 10:16 PM

Probation
25 posts

For the first 5-10 weeks use the machines only. Then, slowly integrate the free weights. Ultimately go to 80-90% free weights on your work outs.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0152sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:27 PM