Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Did you guys lose a lot of muscle mass?

views

TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 10 2020, 09:19 AM, updated 4y ago

he/his/him
1,723 posts

I'm glad gyms are re-opening soon. sweat.gif

With 3 months of lack of physical activity which coincides with puasa, I'm definitely back to square one in terms of my journey trying to pack on as much muscle as possible. I live in a crammed apartment so home workouts are not very practical. Throughout the MCO, all I've been doing was watching bodybuilding videos and learning about intermittent fasting instead lol. Can't wait to apply all these knowledge in my head the next time I step in the gym.

What was your experience trying to maintain your muscle mass during this whole pandemic? Are you excited about gyms about to open soon or you have a new norm of working out at home exclusively?
slaveone
post Jun 10 2020, 09:25 AM

Regular
1,180 posts

annoying since i got to the gym at work. but office still WFH until end aug.
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 10 2020, 09:37 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

QUOTE(slaveone @ Jun 10 2020, 09:25 AM)
annoying since i got to the gym at work. but office still WFH until end aug.
That's too bad. sweat.gif You usually go in the morning before work?
jaycee1
post Jun 10 2020, 09:51 AM

AFK
2,435 posts

Cannot go gym doesn't mean cannot work out at all right?

I mean there are a host of bodyweight exercises and you can very easily get a bench and free weights.
Amedion
post Jun 10 2020, 10:27 AM

It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's star
3,377 posts

As long as you keep your calories & protein in check then shouldn't lose alot.
Mostly just water weight cause muscle resting already don't keep that much glycogen.
slaveone
post Jun 10 2020, 12:00 PM

Regular
1,180 posts

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Jun 10 2020, 09:37 AM)
That's too bad.  sweat.gif  You usually go in the morning before work?
after work. body takes too long to cooldown. i can take my time when i do after work
wai57
post Jun 15 2020, 05:06 PM

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
1,150 posts

got my own mini gym at home, fed up with idiots doing supersets on the equipment that im waiting to use in gym (most of the time).

didnt lose mass.
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 16 2020, 11:04 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

Just an update: Went to the gym for the first time yesterday. My gym had me book appointments first via Facebook (up to 3 days in advance), bring my own towel and water bottle and when I arrived at the gym, I had to scan the QR code in MySejahtera app and had my body temperature reading taken.

The gym has one-hour slots throughout its operation hours and each slot can only accomodate 10 people (not including staff).

All in all, quite a bittersweet moment in the gym. I lost quite a lot of strength and when I weighed myself, I was 4-5kg slimmer than I was pre-MCO. On the plus side, the whole gym feels very spacious and it was really fun to work out without people hogging the equipments.

Looking forward to achieving my fitness goals again! biggrin.gif (Not looking forward to being sore the whole week though *sobs*)
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 17 2020, 09:21 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

To gym or not to gym, now that gyms in Kuala Lumpur have reopened?
Source: https://malaysia.yahoo.com/news/gym-not-gym...-222012673.html

user posted image

COMMENTARY, June 17 — Some of us have been waiting for gyms to reopen since what feels like forever. (An exaggeration, naturally, but these days many things feel that way.)

Well, that day finally arrived. This week, gyms are allowed to operate again. Their doors had remained closed since the movement control order (MCO) began on March 18. Three months ago, give or take. So there feels like there is a lot of uncertainty and questions.

But the top question on the minds of many members is simply: To gym or not to gym?

There is still a fear of whether it is safe or not, even with the sanitising procedures (more on these later) in place. Of whether it’s too soon to return.

For some, they’ve been enduring weeks of missed barbell squats and bench presses. For others, the quarantine has forced them to embrace home workouts — who knew we could exercise outside of a gym, eh?

The decision is one each gym member has to make on their own though gym owners are hoping this will be in the affirmative to return.

Frozen memberships during the MCO period meant no revenue with most of the operating costs — rental, manpower, etc. — still present.

I can’t help but observe every detail, everything that has changed and everything that has not. The new normal means new Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Rather than see it as an inconvenience, who knows — we might like the new way of working out in gyms more than before.

Firstly, gym members have to get used to the fact they can’t just saunter up and visit the gym any time they like. Part of the new SOP limits clubs from attaining full capacity. This means you have to make an appointment to get a specific time slot.

This almost certainly means there will be fewer members on the gym floor compared to what we are used to. There will be no stragglers from the previous slots or rather that’s how it ought to be.

My gym allotted 1.5-hour slots of up to 25 people per slot. That meant once that maximum is reached, you’d have to book a different time slot for your workout. The reservation process is easy enough by clicking on a website link but my club manager observed that the older gym members still preferred to call and book.

Upon entering the gym, as with other business outlets nowadays, I scan a QR code to register and have my temperature taken. Given most of us have had some time to get used to this whether to do groceries at the supermarket or visit a café, it’s still quite straightforward.

I am then given a personal hand sanitiser for use — members are instructed to wipe down all gym equipment they use before and after usage. Stay within the demarcated areas when working out at specific machines or stations in order to keep a safe 1-3 metre distance away from others.

Prior to visiting the gym, the club had already informed me I ought to bring my own filled water bottle and own towels. Face mask before and after a workout. Besides the individual hand sanitisers, soap is also provided for hand washing.

Still, there is one new aspect I didn’t anticipate: the gym staff asking me to lift my feet one by one so he could spray and sanitise the soles of my shoes. And then I’m on the gym floor, free to exercise till my allotted time slot is up.

It’s all very well designed and thought out.

The first week will be about reacquainting ourselves with routines, those of us who are sticklers for routines that is. There are enough members who visit gyms to just lepak and hang out. They start conversations with the staff, other members, use some of the machines (or not), then leave. Rinse and repeat. I guess that’s a routine too, after a fashion.

For more fitness-minded members and certainly those who are more time conscious, this just wouldn’t do. One comes to the gym equipped with a plan. Some have booked training sessions with the personal trainers (PTs); others bring their own workout routines, scribbled neatly on notebooks or listed in an app with links to exercise demo videos.

I don’t expect to train even half as hard as before the quarantine. It takes time to allow my body to familiarise itself with the exercises again, to allow muscle memory to kick in. I tell myself: go slow, don’t overdo it.

As always, I remind myself that in the gym that ego is the enemy (to quote Ryan Holiday): lift only as much as I can, safely. There is no one else to impress.

Usually that mantra is repeated in a gym thronging with gym bros huffing and puffing like their lives depended on it. Not so today. The gym is nearly empty: aside from the staff, there are only two other members besides me; neither is using the free weights area.

My club’s cleaner is methodically wiping down all the stations, before continuing with her usual vacuum and mop routine. We chat a bit; she tells me I probably find it much the same since I’ve always had the practice of wiping down machines and benches before and after usage.

It’s oddly disconcerting and comforting at the same time to realise others have been observing you while you’ve been observing them. (Also, to have your obsessive-compulsive cleaning habits registered. Perhaps another reason the gym staff are so happy to see me back.)

Everything takes longer but it does keep one more focused on the time one has. Of course, fewer people in the gym at any one time also means one doesn’t have to wait for machines or equipment quite as long. There is always a silver lining.

Let’s see it as a way to become more mindful, to inculcate some time awareness.

It’s a whole new world. That is, if you choose to return to the gym. For me, the answer is definitely to gym — especially since I feel safer here with all the SOPs and social distancing than I honestly do in the shopping malls or supermarkets where many still think nothing of brushing against you or ignoring the marked lines for queueing.

Perhaps it’s a generalisation but it does take a certain type of discipline to pack your gym bag, drive or walk to your club, locate parking if you need to, follow a set plan of progressive overloading to improve your strength, fitness and health.

Gym-going folks, I find, will stick to the rules if you tell them what to do, clearly and politely.

But to each their own. Deciding to hold off for now — to not gym — is a valid option too, especially when we can exercise anywhere if we put our minds to it.

What matters the most, perhaps, might well be to commit to our health and fitness in the first place, however we choose to decide to approach it. So let’s all celebrate that excellent decision.

This post has been edited by internaldisputes: Jun 17 2020, 09:22 AM
helven
post Jun 19 2020, 12:10 AM

Doko Online
919 posts

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Jun 17 2020, 09:21 AM)
To gym or not to gym, now that gyms in Kuala Lumpur have reopened?
Source: https://malaysia.yahoo.com/news/gym-not-gym...-222012673.html

user posted image

COMMENTARY, June 17 — Some of us have been waiting for gyms to reopen since what feels like forever. (An exaggeration, naturally, but these days many things feel that way.)

Well, that day finally arrived. This week, gyms are allowed to operate again. Their doors had remained closed since the movement control order (MCO) began on March 18. Three months ago, give or take. So there feels like there is a lot of uncertainty and questions.

But the top question on the minds of many members is simply: To gym or not to gym?

There is still a fear of whether it is safe or not, even with the sanitising procedures (more on these later) in place. Of whether it’s too soon to return.

For some, they’ve been enduring weeks of missed barbell squats and bench presses. For others, the quarantine has forced them to embrace home workouts — who knew we could exercise outside of a gym, eh?

The decision is one each gym member has to make on their own though gym owners are hoping this will be in the affirmative to return.

Frozen memberships during the MCO period meant no revenue with most of the operating costs — rental, manpower, etc. — still present.

I can’t help but observe every detail, everything that has changed and everything that has not. The new normal means new Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Rather than see it as an inconvenience, who knows — we might like the new way of working out in gyms more than before.

Firstly, gym members have to get used to the fact they can’t just saunter up and visit the gym any time they like. Part of the new SOP limits clubs from attaining full capacity. This means you have to make an appointment to get a specific time slot.

This almost certainly means there will be fewer members on the gym floor compared to what we are used to. There will be no stragglers from the previous slots or rather that’s how it ought to be.

My gym allotted 1.5-hour slots of up to 25 people per slot. That meant once that maximum is reached, you’d have to book a different time slot for your workout. The reservation process is easy enough by clicking on a website link but my club manager observed that the older gym members still preferred to call and book.

Upon entering the gym, as with other business outlets nowadays, I scan a QR code to register and have my temperature taken. Given most of us have had some time to get used to this whether to do groceries at the supermarket or visit a café, it’s still quite straightforward.

I am then given a personal hand sanitiser for use — members are instructed to wipe down all gym equipment they use before and after usage. Stay within the demarcated areas when working out at specific machines or stations in order to keep a safe 1-3 metre distance away from others.

Prior to visiting the gym, the club had already informed me I ought to bring my own filled water bottle and own towels. Face mask before and after a workout. Besides the individual hand sanitisers, soap is also provided for hand washing.

Still, there is one new aspect I didn’t anticipate: the gym staff asking me to lift my feet one by one so he could spray and sanitise the soles of my shoes. And then I’m on the gym floor, free to exercise till my allotted time slot is up.

It’s all very well designed and thought out.

The first week will be about reacquainting ourselves with routines, those of us who are sticklers for routines that is. There are enough members who visit gyms to just lepak and hang out. They start conversations with the staff, other members, use some of the machines (or not), then leave. Rinse and repeat. I guess that’s a routine too, after a fashion.

For more fitness-minded members and certainly those who are more time conscious, this just wouldn’t do. One comes to the gym equipped with a plan. Some have booked training sessions with the personal trainers (PTs); others bring their own workout routines, scribbled neatly on notebooks or listed in an app with links to exercise demo videos.

I don’t expect to train even half as hard as before the quarantine. It takes time to allow my body to familiarise itself with the exercises again, to allow muscle memory to kick in. I tell myself: go slow, don’t overdo it.

As always, I remind myself that in the gym that ego is the enemy (to quote Ryan Holiday): lift only as much as I can, safely. There is no one else to impress.

Usually that mantra is repeated in a gym thronging with gym bros huffing and puffing like their lives depended on it. Not so today. The gym is nearly empty: aside from the staff, there are only two other members besides me; neither is using the free weights area.

My club’s cleaner is methodically wiping down all the stations, before continuing with her usual vacuum and mop routine. We chat a bit; she tells me I probably find it much the same since I’ve always had the practice of wiping down machines and benches before and after usage.

It’s oddly disconcerting and comforting at the same time to realise others have been observing you while you’ve been observing them. (Also, to have your obsessive-compulsive cleaning habits registered. Perhaps another reason the gym staff are so happy to see me back.)

Everything takes longer but it does keep one more focused on the time one has. Of course, fewer people in the gym at any one time also means one doesn’t have to wait for machines or equipment quite as long. There is always a silver lining.

Let’s see it as a way to become more mindful, to inculcate some time awareness.

It’s a whole new world. That is, if you choose to return to the gym. For me, the answer is definitely to gym — especially since I feel safer here with all the SOPs and social distancing than I honestly do in the shopping malls or supermarkets where many still think nothing of brushing against you or ignoring the marked lines for queueing.

Perhaps it’s a generalisation but it does take a certain type of discipline to pack your gym bag, drive or walk to your club, locate parking if you need to, follow a set plan of progressive overloading to improve your strength, fitness and health.

Gym-going folks, I find, will stick to the rules if you tell them what to do, clearly and politely.

But to each their own. Deciding to hold off for now — to not gym — is a valid option too, especially when we can exercise anywhere if we put our minds to it.

What matters the most, perhaps, might well be to commit to our health and fitness in the first place, however we choose to decide to approach it. So let’s all celebrate that excellent decision.
Just curious, how much do you pay your membership? Sounds like the SoP is pretty decent but I doubt every gym are willing to do so especially those with cheap entry fees.
Do they increase the rate since the place can allocate lesser people, with limited time slot, which means lower revenue.
I am not going to the gym this year as I don't have confident with the actual execution of SoP. The fees can be a burden for me as well. I am blessed with a home gym thou.
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 19 2020, 09:50 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

QUOTE(helven @ Jun 19 2020, 12:10 AM)
Just curious, how much do you pay your membership? Sounds like the SoP is pretty decent but I doubt every gym are willing to do so especially those with cheap entry fees.
Do they increase the rate since the place can allocate lesser people, with limited time slot, which means lower revenue.
I am not going to the gym this year as I don't have confident with the actual execution of SoP. The fees can be a burden for me as well. I am blessed with a home gym thou.
This is the gym that I went to. I already renewed my membership for a year before the lockdown but they reassured everyone all memberships will be frozen until the gym reopens. I believe their price (either walk-in or membership fees) remains the same since they did ask everyone to bring their own towels, bottles and everything. I guess the gym owner have lots of savings because all the staffs still remain too.
Amedion
post Jun 19 2020, 12:44 PM

It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's star
3,377 posts

Cheap entry gym don't bother that much. We have to take precautious by cleaning before & after use. Wash hand frequently. Try not to touch face to wipe sweat.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.51    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:52 PM