> Need advice on Renovation, Old House

views

magicnox
post Jan 4 2022, 04:44 PM

Getting Started
57 posts

QUOTE(ongss @ Dec 30 2021, 01:03 PM)
PM you his ID and also asked him to read the thread.  biggrin.gif
Hi, would appreciate if you could share his details as well. My fiancé & I have an old 2 storey corner lot that we plan to renovate in the future but have no idea where to start....
ongss
post Jan 5 2022, 10:12 PM

Casual
400 posts

QUOTE(magicnox @ Jan 4 2022, 04:44 PM)
Hi, would appreciate if you could share his details as well. My fiancé & I have an old 2 storey corner lot that we plan to renovate in the future but have no idea where to start....
Hi, I have sent a PM to you.
ehwee
post Jan 6 2022, 09:59 PM

Value Our Living Spaces!
786 posts

QUOTE(ongss @ Jan 5 2022, 10:12 PM)
Hi, I have sent a PM to you.
Do pm me the architect contact you helped doing your house as well, thanks in advance!

This post has been edited by ehwee: Jan 6 2022, 10:00 PM
enzoch
post Jan 6 2022, 10:08 PM

24 posts

May I have his ID too? Please PM me, I am going through almost the same renovation as OP. Thanks.
NautieWabbit
post Jan 7 2022, 09:40 AM

47 posts

From my opinion , it really depends on how you reno your house, certains contractors told me that i dont really need to apply permit fro the Mpbj or dbkl, you should also see how is your connection with your neighbours, whether they are being an a$$hole to complain on the renovation going on at your place
ongss
post Jan 7 2022, 12:17 PM

Casual
400 posts

QUOTE(ehwee @ Jan 6 2022, 09:59 PM)
Do pm me the architect contact you helped doing your house as well, thanks in advance!
QUOTE(enzoch @ Jan 6 2022, 10:08 PM)
May I have his ID too? Please PM me, I am going through almost the same renovation as OP. Thanks.
Hi all, I have sent your his contact.

My renovation was stuck for a while due to the MCO. Nevertheless, I got a few benefit from the architect drawings, e.g.

Set up the unit prices for each type of works. It would be easier to do apple to apple comparison when selecting contractors as well as pricing for variation order. I got the unit prices for

- Demolition cost per sqft. The price covers hacking and removal of the debris.
- RC slab per sqft for 6" thickness. The price include both 16mm steel bars, cements, etc.
- Unit price RC column for 3.6m heights per engineer drawing.
- Unit price RC 600mm or 450mm beam/ground beam.
- Waterproofing per sqft.
- Manholes per unit.
- Labour cost for the tiling (based on the size of the tile and by Sqft)
- Per sqft for metal roof.

For plumber/sewage/bath-room, most of the contractor quoted by rooms.

The architect drawings can help you to prepare your own Bill-of-materials, it can also help to gather the requirements e.g. door schedules and door frames.

Another lession I learn: negotitate the fees as well as the fees for resubmissions. I have two resubmission.

Lastly, if you are renovating very old semi d or corner house, I personally think it is best to knock down completely and rebuild. I made one mistake by expanding. Later on, part by part, I totally demolish the whole house. That cost me about extra 10 - 20% in total cost. It also drag longer.

ongss
post Jan 7 2022, 12:25 PM

Casual
400 posts

QUOTE(NautieWabbit @ Jan 7 2022, 09:40 AM)
From my opinion , it really depends on how you reno your house, certains contractors told me that i dont really need to apply permit fro the Mpbj or dbkl, you should also see how is your connection with your neighbours, whether they are being an a$$hole to complain on the renovation going on at your place
Not really, for the jalan I do my renovation, there are 5 on-going renovations. DBKL visited frequently. One of my neighbours did not apply the approval and his renovation was stopped and sealed by DBKL twice. Frequently, because of this neighbour's problem, DBKL officers took the "convenenience" to visit my site too.

So, for any renovation involving external renovation, best to apply for DBKL approval. Furthermore, if you don't get the approval, you can't quote the new areas in the SPA. For example, if the old build-up is 2000 sqft and the new area is 2800 sqft, any future SPA can only quote 2000 sqft if there is no approval from the local council.

This post has been edited by ongss: Jan 7 2022, 12:26 PM
NautieWabbit
post Jan 7 2022, 02:36 PM

47 posts

QUOTE(ongss @ Jan 7 2022, 12:25 PM)
Not really, for the jalan I do my renovation, there are 5 on-going renovations. DBKL visited frequently. One of my neighbours did not apply the approval and his renovation was stopped and sealed by DBKL twice. Frequently, because of this neighbour's problem, DBKL officers took the "convenenience" to visit my site too.

So, for any renovation involving external renovation, best to apply for DBKL approval. Furthermore, if you don't get the approval, you can't quote the new areas in the SPA. For example, if the old build-up is 2000 sqft and the new area is 2800 sqft, any future SPA can only quote 2000 sqft if there is no approval from the local council.
i am extending my kitchen now, touch wood so far no council come and disturb yet.
May i know how much did you pay to apply for the permit?
ongss
post Jan 7 2022, 04:24 PM

Casual
400 posts

QUOTE(NautieWabbit @ Jan 7 2022, 02:36 PM)
i am extending my kitchen now, touch wood so far no council come and disturb yet.
May i know how much did you pay to apply for the permit?
Mine is more expensive as submission is only small portion of the work. You can check the thread and probably can find a draughtman to help you?

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4538282
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3490827/+600

p12raya P
post Feb 8 2022, 11:58 AM

Probation
1 posts

hi could i have recommendations for someone to draw me a plan for house renovation to be submitted to Majlis Putrajaya?
oRoXoRo
post Mar 23 2022, 04:24 PM

Level 1 Audiophile
1,628 posts

Planning to renovate my old double storey intermediate house, any contact for ID that can do everything?

Duckies
post May 13 2022, 02:17 PM

Rubber Ducky
9,544 posts

QUOTE(ongss @ Jan 7 2022, 12:25 PM)

Hi, can you please PM me the contact for the architect service? How much does it cost?

My renovation actually is interior only but it involves toilet relocation and some wall hacking so I am not sure if permit is required. However, some MBPJ officer already come by and ask to "settle".

This post has been edited by Duckies: May 13 2022, 02:31 PM
ongss
post May 13 2022, 04:05 PM

Casual
400 posts

QUOTE(Duckies @ May 13 2022, 02:17 PM)
Hi, can you please PM me the contact for the architect service? How much does it cost?

My renovation actually is interior only but it involves toilet relocation and some wall hacking so I am not sure if permit is required. However, some MBPJ officer already come by and ask to "settle".
I will PM you his contact and website.

But, actually, if everything is internal, I don't think you need MBPJ approval. Usually, it is the contractor's Roll-On Roll-Off bin that causes the problem. Your contractor places the bin outside your boundary?
Duckies
post May 13 2022, 04:28 PM

Rubber Ducky
9,544 posts

QUOTE(ongss @ May 13 2022, 04:05 PM)
I will PM you his contact and website.

But, actually, if everything is internal, I don't think you need MBPJ approval. Usually, it is the contractor's Roll-On Roll-Off bin that causes the problem. Your contractor places the bin outside your boundary?
The bin we put it outside but actually we can put it inside also. I don't know why MBPJ insist for permit cause my renovation is 100% interior. But then I have some wall hacking and toilet relocation which kinda borders "structure" changes so... hmm.gif
ongss
post May 13 2022, 10:21 PM

Casual
400 posts

QUOTE(Duckies @ May 13 2022, 04:28 PM)
The bin we put it outside but actually we can put it inside also. I don't know why MBPJ insist for permit cause my renovation is 100% interior. But then I have some wall hacking and toilet relocation which kinda borders "structure" changes so... hmm.gif
Probably your wall is the issue. Actually, if your house is located at KL, DBKL will seal the site immediately if you don't have permit.

So, if I were you, I move the roro bin into the boundary. Somneone might have complained. Normally, town council folks don't round housing areas unless someone lodges a complaint.
Phyarc
post May 14 2022, 01:08 AM

Getting Started
142 posts

QUOTE(Duckies @ May 13 2022, 02:17 PM)

Tong placed at public domain will get saman as MBPJ enforcers do their rounds checking.
Your case need at least Permit Kerja Kecil, which you can self apply at MBPJ without requiring architect or drawing. This permit enables you to place building material and tong at public domain legally.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:11 PM