Cycling V37: Road bikes - Recreational/Racing, Average speed 30km/h is so 1786

views

malleus
post Sep 8 2021, 09:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(nonexno @ Sep 8 2021, 09:06 PM)
tubs.
ah yeah. tubs are definitely lighter cause of the simpler rim design. no need for the hooks needed to hold a clincher tire in place.

but gave up on tubs already, and went back to clinchers. tubs are just too troublesome, despite the lighter weight.
malleus
post Sep 9 2021, 07:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(nonexno @ Sep 8 2021, 10:01 PM)
yes. i used to keep them for races only. but they are old now. so just gonna ride them out. my fear is always the glue or tape.

I check tubeless wheels, they are 8 to 12k for 1500++ gram? But I suppose the are faster with new hubs.

in terms of troublesome, i realised that making sure the bike is in good shape is overall troublesome. this mco, i bought so many tools and cleaning products to fix the bike. our local mechanics are really far behind. send the bike in twice before EMCO but a lot of stuff not done properly. like bearing checks, oil check, alignment etc.
I'm currently using these rims: https://www.venn-cycling.com/en/product/ven...ake-carbon-rim/

decided to give these a try, as they're supposed to be built up from CF filament strand wound into a wheel, instead of the usual rim building method.

custom built with CK R45 hubs, and the weight comes up to around 1450g. not too bad, the responsiveness is comparable to 3T wheels that I tested before.

but then again, it also depends a lot on the skill of the wheel builder too.
malleus
post Sep 9 2021, 02:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(radmaszeal @ Sep 9 2021, 12:21 PM)
no, ultegra r8100 series shimano power meter, can be charged together with di2 so makes usage easier.
friend has some tubs on lightweight wheels, rode with him a 5 times, 4 times had puncture and we had to wait around for him to get it fixed. he brought spare tyre along, used tubular tape for ease of changing tyres (compared to glue), brought along vittoria pit stop sealant along, still gets punctures. on the last ride going up GS he turned back after he couldnt fix the puncture while the rest of us waited at the overhead bridge for half an hour, then he retired from cycling after that ride lol.

so tubulars can cause cyclists to retire  sweat.gif  sweat.gif  sweat.gif
the incident that had me give up on tubs is...

Tubs are "supposed" to be better at preventing snakebite punctures right? But just my luck, I hit the pothole at the exact right spot where the valve is, and sprung a leak at the base of the valve. sealant also cannot help anymore.

This post has been edited by malleus: Sep 9 2021, 02:09 PM
malleus
post Sep 16 2021, 01:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(radmaszeal @ Sep 15 2021, 09:46 AM)
but if di2 problem, really gg cant do anything. got friend during ride di2 didnt want to shift, unplug replug restart everything also didnt help, had to ride back in the same gear. around bangsar hills area  shakehead.gif  puke.gif he had to send to shop to reset something i think. i'm on sram axs etap, already wireless so hopefully if got issues can fix with the app, but so far no problem *touch wood*
Bangsar hill area only can consider lucky. A buddy had di2 die on the last part of a ride, which was from Bentong up to Genting Sempah mcdonalds where we parked our cars tongue.gif

malleus
post Sep 20 2021, 12:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(SHOfrE3zE @ Sep 17 2021, 08:21 PM)
guys, i'm getting my first road bike after cycling with MTB for years. I'm torn between getting an endurance or a race bike. I'm considering on the endurance bike since malaysia road is not that smooth and i'm not into the fastest speed but more of completing the mileage. question is, if i were on an endurance bike, will I be able to catch up with my friends who are riding a race bike? I too do not want to be left out during a group ride. is it worth to get an endurance bike to ride here in long term?
I personally think that getting 25c or 28c tires and adjusting your tire pressure accordingly will get you better comfort than going for an endurance frame.

A carbon fibre handle bar will help a lot too with comfort for your hands.
malleus
post Sep 20 2021, 02:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(andrewhtf @ Sep 20 2021, 10:06 AM)
i have a friend complaint that carbon bars gave him more road vibrations than stock alloy
yeah like others said, it really depends on the construction of the handlebars itself. but this is really the first time I heard anybody saying that they find that CF bars increased road buzz compared to alloy ones.

Used a Token (cannot remember which model), and currently 2 pairs of 3T ergonovas, find all of them more comfortable. they do mute the smaller vibrations a lot.
malleus
post Jan 24 2022, 06:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(Justin.Loong @ Jan 24 2022, 11:23 AM)

I did see news of the exact same type of situation in SG before about a year ago. a girl went into a spin class and had the same problems.
malleus
post Jan 25 2022, 02:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(benbeaninc @ Jan 25 2022, 09:31 AM)
As long as we understand n listen to our body...
Know whn to stop when it is too much to handle...

We will be good...

Normally ppl who wana proof something will push themselves to a zone which beyond comfortable...
well, cycling on the open road does force us to be a lot more careful on a lot of things...

where a spin class indoors with a/c on and music blasting is kinda different. this is likely when they got pushed beyond what's safe for them without even realising it.

but like the similar case in SG previously, I do have some questions on how exactly this happened.

I would have thought that the person would have bonked out before they managed to get their muscles into such a state. or at least black out the moment their HR drops when they get off the bike.

malleus
post Feb 2 2022, 11:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(Clueless07 @ Jan 31 2022, 09:49 PM)
Thanks for the comprehensive tips.
GP5000 seems very soft and quick wear off right.

Me not going into race, but do appreciate a little bit less resistance in ride to save me a few watts.

How about Swahlbe?

As for better balanced tyre for more comfort and puncture resistance- wat would u recommend ?
I personally find that Schwalbes tend to wear out faster then GP5000. And not as puncture resistant too.

But having said that, there's also ppl who swear that they never puncture on a Schwalbe before. I guess it depends on the individual's luck too.

malleus
post Feb 6 2022, 10:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(benbeaninc @ Feb 4 2022, 10:04 AM)
i owned 3 Cervelo..
aim for their off season bikes from the retail shop, it drops quite significant.
Did you get issues with creaky BB on your Cervelos? heard this is the most common complain about it. And I remember seeing Hambini really whacking them over their BB tolerances

QUOTE(benbeaninc @ Feb 4 2022, 10:04 AM)
30k bike can ride 30km/hr anot ?
any bike also can go above 30km/hr. the question is more on how long you can sustain it for smile.gif

like for example, I still remember this ride I did with bjcc many years ago, on Latar. we were going at 35km/h up a climb, and a MTB rider overtook us

after the climb he dropped dy.. cannot sustain, but the rider also happy that he managed to overtake roadbikes on a climb tongue.gif

malleus
post Feb 6 2022, 10:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(engseng @ Feb 5 2022, 03:12 PM)
Was wondering what road bikes you guys and girls are using? Don't see anyone showing their bikes, maybe your bikes are already perfect  biggrin.gif

Do hybrid bikes also count in this thread?
I'm still using a 10 year old metal bike

This post has been edited by malleus: Feb 6 2022, 10:56 AM
malleus
post Feb 6 2022, 02:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(benbeaninc @ Feb 6 2022, 02:04 PM)
Creaking normal...
Due to the Bb not aligned properly...
Usually I change the Bb to bbinfinite directly...
Else the bearing will b busted within 3 months less...
3 months? that's bad..

I see all these funny BB I also pening. Very happy with my ancient GXP smile.gif

malleus
post May 3 2022, 08:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(Archemedia @ Apr 25 2022, 06:54 PM)
This guy mostly ranting personal opinion..

His request for ceramic speed to do testing also "under review"
Im not gonna say who is right/who is wrong though...
Btw thanks for sharing this article, ZFC says they want to stock up the NTN Bearings but they are having trouble sourcing up these bearings - maybe i should contact them to supply the bearings for them
The way I see it, it's less about the bearing type, but most critical are the bearing tolerances. and tolerance issues is the cause of wear in the first place, especially when there's hard impacts.

Steel bearing will probably wear better, as under high impact, they just dent, but ceramic may crack. and when the first crack happens, what you get are small ceramic pieces floating around grinding against other ceramic bearings, which will eventually lead to the entire thing grinding down to dust (or rather, paste when combined with the grease inside)

malleus
post May 22 2022, 06:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(cornerpoint @ May 19 2022, 10:42 PM)
Hi Folks,

Just would like to know, is it already allowed to use rear bike rack? Im seeing some using it when going to PCP during the weekend. If not, any recommended bike rack for proton saga? Im unable to put it inside as the rear seat is fixed.

Appreciate the help

Thanks.
Used to use one, but I've been driving hatchbacks all this time, so hence the bike is mounted higher than on a sedan and does not obstruct the license plate or brake lights.

4 Pages « < 2 3 4Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1722sec    0.59    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:25 PM