Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Import tax buying monitor from Taobao?, Do we need to pay import tax?

views
     
TSkkl888 P
post Nov 5 2019, 05:35 PM, updated 5 months ago

New Member
*
Probation
3 posts

Joined: Nov 2019
How much tax do we need to pay if buying a portable monitor from Taobao? Anyone has experienced similar case?

My item is about RM900++. I went to Kastam office and they r unsure bout the amount unless I go straight to the custom inspector LOL
codenchips
post Nov 5 2019, 05:37 PM

Getting Started
**
Junior Member
78 posts

Joined: Sep 2016


parkk
acbc
post Nov 5 2019, 05:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
*******
Senior Member
6,121 posts

Joined: Jan 2003
Above RM 500 sure kena tax.
TSkkl888 P
post Nov 5 2019, 05:39 PM

New Member
*
Probation
3 posts

Joined: Nov 2019
QUOTE(acbc @ Nov 5 2019, 05:37 PM)
Above RM 500 sure kena tax.
*
Do u know how much? I checked online and it seems like there are many categories, which I don't know which category the monitor falls to
yhcyber
post Nov 5 2019, 05:40 PM

Casual
***
Junior Member
444 posts

Joined: May 2006
From: Seremban/KL


My last purchase on vacuum robot cost around RM700 tax me 6% standard, just for your reference

Bought and shipped through official Taobao Seaship
TSkkl888 P
post Nov 5 2019, 05:42 PM

New Member
*
Probation
3 posts

Joined: Nov 2019
QUOTE(yhcyber @ Nov 5 2019, 05:40 PM)
My last purchase on vacuum robot cost around RM700 tax me 6% standard, just for your reference

Bought and shipped through official Taobao Seaship
*
Nice~ i think 6% is still reasonable. I'm just afraid it goes up to 40%
yhcyber
post Nov 5 2019, 05:48 PM

Casual
***
Junior Member
444 posts

Joined: May 2006
From: Seremban/KL


QUOTE(kkl888 @ Nov 5 2019, 05:42 PM)
Nice~ i think 6% is still reasonable. I'm just afraid it goes up to 40%
*
If you are not declared as per item value, there will be the chances you get penalty up to 200%, that's what my ex-taobao(Dai Gou in mandarin) purchaser told. Usually if you ship through official channel, then you have no worries on this penalty issue, the transporter will do the clearance for you smile.gif

If you are using 3rd party transporter, then you will need to ask them properly, as nowadays our custom very efficient on the checking.
TSkkl888 P
post Nov 6 2019, 10:34 AM

New Member
*
Probation
3 posts

Joined: Nov 2019
QUOTE(yhcyber @ Nov 5 2019, 05:48 PM)
If you are not declared as per item value, there will be the chances you get penalty up to 200%, that's what my ex-taobao(Dai Gou in mandarin) purchaser told. Usually if you ship through official channel, then you have no worries on this penalty issue, the transporter will do the clearance for you smile.gif

If you are using 3rd party transporter, then you will need to ask them properly, as nowadays our custom very efficient on the checking.
*
I went to Kastam's specific department called Penjenisan. The officer analysed for me and found out all LCD monitors are subjected to 25% import duty and 5% SST, total 30% shocking.gif Damn alot. I think I better buy Dell monitor locally, at least it's way cheaper and better spec at this point
andrekua2
post Nov 6 2019, 11:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
*******
Senior Member
8,075 posts

Joined: Jan 2012



QUOTE(kkl888 @ Nov 6 2019, 10:34 AM)
I went to Kastam's specific department called Penjenisan. The officer analysed for me and found out all LCD monitors are subjected to 25% import duty and 5% SST, total 30%  shocking.gif Damn alot. I think I better buy Dell monitor locally, at least it's way cheaper and better spec at this point
*
One way to get around this (if you already bought unknowingly) is by asking different officer. My cousin previously imported a 4K LG which cost RM2.6K and he managed to skip paying tax by asking different officer. Some officer are more lenient if you told them it is for personal usage and not for commercial usage.
yhcyber
post Nov 6 2019, 11:54 AM

Casual
***
Junior Member
444 posts

Joined: May 2006
From: Seremban/KL


QUOTE(kkl888 @ Nov 6 2019, 10:34 AM)
I went to Kastam's specific department called Penjenisan. The officer analysed for me and found out all LCD monitors are subjected to 25% import duty and 5% SST, total 30%  shocking.gif Damn alot. I think I better buy Dell monitor locally, at least it's way cheaper and better spec at this point
*
The word "subjected" is very tricky, it means the justification is on custom officer that inspecting your goods. Usually it won't be tax if the declaration and quantity is reasonable (another tricky word).

I would suggest to use the proper channel on the delivery to avoid those issues. The delivery company will know what to do on your item smile.gif
TSkkl888 P
post Nov 6 2019, 12:08 PM

New Member
*
Probation
3 posts

Joined: Nov 2019
QUOTE(yhcyber @ Nov 6 2019, 11:54 AM)
The word "subjected" is very tricky, it means the justification is on custom officer that inspecting your goods. Usually it won't be tax if the declaration and quantity is reasonable (another tricky word).

I would suggest to use the proper channel on the delivery to avoid those issues. The delivery company will know what to do on your item  smile.gif
*
Sry i think I should not use "subjected". The officer said it's confirmed 25% + 5% tax, be it 1 item or bulk quantity. I also checked from Taobao website and it mentions we need to handle tax ourself when reach destination country custom. https://world.taobao.com/helper/knowledge.h...&kid=1000030481

Big delivery company like DHL will handle for u, then they collect the money from u. I also consulted Pos Malaysia. For their case, we need pay another RM50 for them as agent to handle the tax if ur item kena tahan at kastam, unless we go to custom ourself. Correct me if I'm wrong.


TSkkl888 P
post Nov 6 2019, 12:13 PM

New Member
*
Probation
3 posts

Joined: Nov 2019
QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Nov 6 2019, 11:33 AM)
One way to get around this (if you already bought unknowingly) is by asking different officer. My cousin previously imported a 4K LG which cost RM2.6K and he managed to skip paying tax by asking different officer. Some officer are more lenient if you told them it is for personal usage and not for commercial usage.
*
I haven't bought it yet haha~ so not sure I wanna risk this. Btw, how can we ask multiple officers? If any officer check and confirm how much tax we hav to pay, can we still find other officer to recheck? I tot tat's finalised once it's checked?

I did tell the officer that it's personal usage during the consultation, still he said all same for personal & commercial usage
yhcyber
post Nov 6 2019, 12:45 PM

Casual
***
Junior Member
444 posts

Joined: May 2006
From: Seremban/KL


QUOTE(kkl888 @ Nov 6 2019, 12:08 PM)
Sry i think I should not use "subjected". The officer said it's confirmed 25% + 5% tax, be it 1 item or bulk quantity. I also checked from Taobao website and it mentions we need to handle tax ourself when reach destination country custom. https://world.taobao.com/helper/knowledge.h...&kid=1000030481

Big delivery company like DHL will handle for u, then they collect the money from u. I also consulted Pos Malaysia. For their case, we need pay another RM50 for them as agent to handle the tax if ur item kena tahan at kastam, unless we go to custom ourself. Correct me if I'm wrong.
*
I am not sure on this, last round when i get my robot, after done drop order by sea shipment, Taobao will redirect me the another page to pay the tax, after done the payment then everything goes smooth.

andrekua2
post Nov 6 2019, 01:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
*******
Senior Member
8,075 posts

Joined: Jan 2012



QUOTE(kkl888 @ Nov 6 2019, 12:13 PM)
I haven't bought it yet haha~ so not sure I wanna risk this. Btw, how can we ask multiple officers? If any officer check and confirm how much tax we hav to pay, can we still find other officer to recheck? I tot tat's finalised once it's checked?

I did tell the officer that it's personal usage during the consultation, still he said all same for personal & commercial usage
*
The officer will rotate once in a while or during lunch break. I dont think I would recommend this method as well. I have seen many cases where the officers are really strict even when it is just a gift.

I went there a few times to collect tea leaves shipment from China on my father's behalf. 50boxes (gifts) and they were asking many things from shipping charges and cost of each boxes. Even had to go through another dept in another building. BTW shipping charges are also included in the amount for import duty. Many cases where you get free shipping is actually the worst scenario because then they will ask quotation from the shipping company and you will end up with crazy amount. Each time I managed to get it out without import duty despite them insisting wanna slap a crazy amount during the initial inquiry but I had to spend like an hour or two there explaining the situation to them. Probably they got tired of my persistence.


TSkkl888 P
post Nov 7 2019, 11:09 AM

New Member
*
Probation
3 posts

Joined: Nov 2019
QUOTE(yhcyber @ Nov 6 2019, 12:45 PM)
I am not sure on this, last round when i get my robot, after done drop order by sea shipment, Taobao will redirect me the another page to pay the tax, after done the payment then everything goes smooth.
*
Oh tat's nice~ at least no need to go custom and sh*t. But still, I have no issue goin to custom pay the tax and collect item. I'm more concern on the tax amount, which is a deal breaker. ~RM300 is just too much for import tax (for my case).


QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Nov 6 2019, 01:13 PM)
The officer will rotate once in a while or during lunch break. I dont think I would recommend this method as well. I have seen many cases where the officers are really strict even when it is just a gift.

I went there a few times to collect tea leaves shipment from China on my father's behalf. 50boxes (gifts) and they were asking many things from shipping charges and cost of each boxes. Even had to go through another dept in another building. BTW shipping charges are also included in the amount for import duty. Many cases where you get free shipping is actually the worst scenario because then they will ask quotation from the shipping company and you will end up with crazy amount. Each time I managed to get it out without import duty despite them insisting wanna slap a crazy amount during the initial inquiry but I had to spend like an hour or two there explaining the situation to them. Probably they got tired of my persistence.
*
Yea dun think wanna spend so much time talking to different officers which cannot guarantee the result. I think I give up lolxxx
OnlyTellsTruth P
post Mar 26 2020, 12:26 PM

New Member
*
Probation
28 posts

Joined: Jul 2019
QUOTE(kkl888 @ Nov 6 2019, 12:08 PM)
Sry i think I should not use "subjected". The officer said it's confirmed 25% + 5% tax, be it 1 item or bulk quantity. I also checked from Taobao website and it mentions we need to handle tax ourself when reach destination country custom. https://world.taobao.com/helper/knowledge.h...&kid=1000030481

Big delivery company like DHL will handle for u, then they collect the money from u. I also consulted Pos Malaysia. For their case, we need pay another RM50 for them as agent to handle the tax if ur item kena tahan at kastam, unless we go to custom ourself. Correct me if I'm wrong.
*
Good info, thanks thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

 

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0221sec    0.57    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 2nd April 2020 - 02:21 AM