Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Subwoofer problem and how do I setup crossover?

views

TSTitaniumZ
post Oct 14 2019, 03:02 PM

Ze Balmarian
1,915 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Oct 14 2019, 02:03 PM)
Sound volume or sound quality?

Looks like you are looking to normalize sound from tuner and other sources like phone, etc. While in Android or Apple mode, you can adjust the volume level so that it is normalize to volume from tuner, thus when switching sources, the sound volume stays the same.

Not sure about the Automatic Level Control in the unit if it is set to Mode1 or Mode2 it will adjust the volume lever or changes the sound compression level in your HU. Have you tried that?
I'm talking about sound quality of FM radio.
Sound volume can be adjusted by using the 'Souce Level Adjuster' function.
But sound quality of FM Radio is really lacking. Based on my setting above the bass is too light when songs are playing but humming when the male DJ speaks, the highs are generally absent, the mids are somehow ok-ish though.
Maybe playaround with equalizer could help but I'm newbie to EQ. cool.gif

This post has been edited by TitaniumZ: Oct 14 2019, 03:03 PM
Zot
post Oct 14 2019, 03:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(TitaniumZ @ Oct 14 2019, 03:02 PM)
But sound quality of FM Radio is really lacking. Based on my setting above the bass is too light when songs are playing but humming when the male DJ speaks, the highs are generally absent, the mids are somehow ok-ish though.
There is no newbie or oldbie ( laugh.gif ) for me in term of equalizer, Just adjust to your liking. I just googled a simple guide here

https://www.audio-issues.com/music-mixing/n...s-of-the-vocal/

The combination of speakers frequency response is not flat. It is not easy to equalized just by listening since each person also has different frequency sensitivity. So, you can buy optional mic to auto set the equalizer. However, since your hearing probably not flat either, why bother biggrin.gif

Just try to play around with it. smile.gif
kohchuup
post Oct 15 2019, 02:41 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

QUOTE(TitaniumZ @ Oct 14 2019, 01:43 PM)
Currently I've settled for this setting:
Time Alignment on, listening position 'Front Right'
Front - HU HPF on, xover at 80Hz, -12dB/oct
Rear - HU HPF on, xover at 125Hz, -12dB/Oct
Subwoofer - HU LPF off, using built-in passive xover at ~80Hz (analog turning knob  laugh.gif ), -12dB/oct
Equalizer set to flat, all audio enhancement effect like bass boost, auto leveling, etc. are off
90% of my music sound nice with this setting.

Just one problem, the FM radio streaming quality is pretty low so whenever I switch to FM radio my ears suffer.
I wonder if there's any method to improve FM radio audio quality?
most important u like it. different ppl different requirement.

howiechoo
post Oct 29 2019, 10:02 PM

Sincerely providing good music since 2004
1,919 posts

QUOTE(TitaniumZ @ Oct 14 2019, 03:02 PM)
double crossover on a underseat sub can solve phase shift issue, it is not a must to use only 1x LPF. changing LPF slope change the phase too. So it will be crucial to match the phase between your midbass and your sub to produce good bass. so if you have phase issue that cant be solve by 0/180, then you will need to try out diff slope between midbass and sub to get rid of the phase issue.

a common problem with non properly tuned sub will be the humming noise when male DJ speak on radio. When this happen, it usually means your sub are over powered, and it might be playing frequency range for a mid bass which cause peaks on certain freq. (most issue i found from this type of system is when the phase of mid bass and sub were not correct, and user increase the level of sub)

TSTitaniumZ
post Oct 30 2019, 07:30 AM

Ze Balmarian
1,915 posts

QUOTE(howiechoo @ Oct 29 2019, 10:02 PM)
double crossover on a underseat sub can solve phase shift issue, it is not a must to use only 1x LPF. changing LPF slope change the phase too. So it will be crucial to match the phase between your midbass and your sub to produce good bass. so if you have phase issue that cant be solve by 0/180, then you will need to try out diff slope between midbass and sub to get rid of the phase issue.

a common problem with non properly tuned sub will be the humming noise when male DJ speak on radio. When this happen, it usually means your sub are over powered, and it might be playing frequency range for a mid bass which cause peaks on certain freq. (most issue i found from this type of system is when the phase of mid bass and sub were not correct, and user increase the level of sub)
Man, you hit the point! nod.gif
I've played around the HU+Sub LPF, slope, and reduce the gain and it works wonder. Only I found that when I set the phase at normal (0 degree) the bass is slightly cleaner than set at invert (180 degree) so I left it on normal phase. Even though the FM radio still doesn't sound as good as my music collection (likely due to the streaming quality) but it's better now.

This post has been edited by TitaniumZ: Oct 30 2019, 07:31 AM
howiechoo
post Nov 2 2019, 12:27 AM

Sincerely providing good music since 2004
1,919 posts

QUOTE(TitaniumZ @ Oct 30 2019, 07:30 AM)
Man, you hit the point!  nod.gif
I've played around the HU+Sub LPF, slope, and reduce the gain and it works wonder. Only I found that when I set the phase at normal (0 degree) the bass is slightly cleaner than set at invert (180 degree) so I left it on normal phase. Even though the FM radio still doesn't sound as good as my music collection (likely due to the streaming quality) but it's better now.
Happy tuning

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0120sec    0.67    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:20 PM