Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

2 tips in battling with mental illness

views

TSMussel
post Sep 27 2019, 06:38 AM, updated 5y ago

Casual
433 posts

I am a person with mood disorder and delusion.

By figuring out 2 aspects (which I am going to share it here), I am in a much better position in battling with schizoaffective disorder.

1. Be courageous in accepting your true feeling. Even if you are treated unjustly, even if you are a victim of family violence, even if you are ridiculed badly, even if you are discriminated against, please accept your true feeling. Granted, it might have cause hard feeling. Nevertheless, you can vent the feelings or grieve, but please do not keep the hard feeling with you for prolonged period, nor pretend nothing have happened.

2. Be courageous in accepting who you really are. Even though you are ugly, even though you are poor, even though you are nobody, please accept who you really are. You can look for ways to improve yourself, but please do not reject your true identity.

biggrin.gif I am not fully recover yet, but doctor says I am in remission.
HarrisEmily P
post Oct 31 2019, 05:39 PM

Probation
5 posts

Try these tips.

1. Value yourself
- make time for your hobbies and treat yourself with kindness & respect

2. Take care of your body
- eat nutritious meal
- avoid cigarettes
- drink plenty of water
- exercise
- get enough sleep

3. Surround yourself with positive people
- people with strong family or strong connections are generally healthier
than those who lack a support network

4. Give yourself
- volunteer your time and energy to help someone else

5. Set realistic goals
- decide what you want to achieve academically, professionally, and personally, and write down the steps you need to realize your goals. aim high but
be realistic and don't be over-schedule

6. Get help when you need it
- seeking help is a sign of strength not weakness. it is important to remember that treatment is effective.

Hope this helps you!
Palindromes
post Mar 28 2020, 09:35 PM

Getting Started
Validating
157 posts

As the topic title says, I am a person with Sz/A, but I'd rather tell others that I had depression / mood disorder (partially truthful) if needed to.

For all the past 21 years, I am ashamed of myself as someone of whom people look down and run away. If I tell them that I like to imagine a lot of things, and I have some mood swing, although partially truthful, it would make me feel better at myself (from outward). Actually I feel bad about myself for not disclosing my real MI diagnosis, you know, it is not healthy to keep something negative to myself for so many years.

And now, you're right in guessing, I am more opening up to the general public, regarding my mental health condition....that's true, but mainly because I feel that, ah, ok, at least I have little accomplishment now, so I am less worried to let people ruin my plan just because someone know my MI diagnosis....

I talked about Sz/A and its symptoms mainly on a less-known public forum using nickname, and among other things, I had applied for OKU cardholder status 9 years ago.

If you're not sure what is Sz/A, it is mainly a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder......It baffles me as well, that this subforum talks more about depression, anxiety, etc. I believe schizophrenia is associated with stigma way more than other mental illnesses.

It is a relief, that finally I am ready to admit that I am a person with MI, or specifically, Sz/A, because I believe it is not my fault for being mentally ill....

I hope more people will understand about schizophrenia, but as to whether to disclose the MI diagnosis or not, what do you think?

As for me in the past, it was very difficult to pretend I wasn't one of the schizophrenic even though I am stable on meds. It was like I had to live up to my own words, and tell employer and workpals indirectly, "look, I don't take MC to visit doctor, I'm fine, not sleepy no sedative side effects...". In the end, it was me who suffered the most. If my employer had understanding, my behaviour in the workplace would be different then, maybe my boss would say "listen, I know we cannot put pressure on you, I have already arranged a flexible working hours for you...." or "I understand what is MI particularly schizophrenia, but we look at your performance, not your illness."

fu'house
post Mar 30 2020, 09:55 PM

On my way
540 posts

What's your drug and have you been under dosing or not eating to cover up the drowsiness/sleepy? What's your job like?
Palindromes
post Mar 30 2020, 10:16 PM

Getting Started
Validating
157 posts

QUOTE(fu'house @ Mar 30 2020, 09:55 PM)
What's your drug and have you been under dosing or not eating to cover up the drowsiness/sleepy? What's your job like?
Thanks for your response.

Actually I had been overdosing, imagine in the initial phase, I have had taken all major drugs: antipsychotic + antidepressant + antianxiety + artane (counter-act the side effect).....

It was just my wishful thinking when I said " I am not sleepy, no sedative side effect", on the contrary, I slept for 1 hour every morning in office, before bosses coming....my senior admonished me for sleeping in office, but somehow it was an unofficial understanding between us....

After years on, my body started coping well with sedative side effect, for many years I did not feel sleepy at all, especially since I switched my med from the stronger antipsychotic Risperidone to milder Aripiprazole....sometimes I cannot even sleep at night . lol

My old profession was IT software.....so you can imagine how difficult it was to work and live with the mental craziness.... There is a saying, schizophrenia itself is causing us to become crazy, but taking meds to treat schizophrenia is causing us to become stupid, it is somewhat a lose-lose situation.

This post has been edited by Palindromes: Mar 30 2020, 10:17 PM
fu'house
post Mar 30 2020, 10:21 PM

On my way
540 posts

QUOTE(Palindromes @ Mar 30 2020, 10:16 PM)
Thanks for your response.

Actually I had been overdosing, imagine in the initial phase, I have had taken all major drugs: antipsychotic + antidepressant + antianxiety + artane (counter-act the side effect).....

It was just my wishful thinking when I said " I am not sleepy, no sedative side effect", on the contrary, I slept for 1 hour every morning in office, before bosses coming....my senior admonished me for sleeping in office, but somehow it was an unofficial understanding between us....

After years on, my body started coping well with sedative side effect, for many years I did not feel sleepy at all, especially since I switched my med from the stronger antipsychotic Risperidone to milder Aripiprazole....sometimes I cannot even sleep at night . lol

My old profession was IT software.....so you can imagine how difficult it was to work and live with the mental craziness.... There is a saying, schizophrenia itself is causing us crazy, but taking meds to treat schizophrenia is causing us stupid, it is somewhat a lose-lose situation.
I see. Stressful work.

Body adapting and maybe slightly resisting effects. Good idea to sleep before work. Was worried if you are a driver whole day. Doing things that need concentration and maybe dangerous.

Doctor still say continue on current medications? Or switch drugs in the future?
Palindromes
post Mar 30 2020, 10:28 PM

Getting Started
Validating
157 posts

QUOTE(fu'house @ Mar 30 2020, 10:21 PM)
I see. Stressful work.

Body adapting and maybe slightly resisting effects. Good idea to sleep before work. Was worried if you are a driver whole day. Doing things that need concentration and maybe dangerous.

Doctor still say continue on current medications? Or switch drugs in the future?
Doctor didn't say anything, so I just keep taking the current meds. Actually I should have switched drug to Amisulpride but I cannot afford it, even with subsidy, I would still have to pay RM300 monthly....Though I think that's a better med than what I am taking now....

I remember milder med might have make me weaker in career performance (although its side effect is lower too). I should have taken stronger med until now....but because of the prolactin side effect (male breast enlargement), doctor advised me to switch med about 10 years ago.....

I noticed that once I switched med away from the strong Risperidone a decade ago......my career was basically stepping-down.....
kd2704
post Mar 30 2020, 11:29 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

I have Schizoaffective too. Sometimes I go to Emergency Unit and the doctors will be like "Schizo-what?". So I just call it Bipolar (My initial diagnosis).

It's nice to have an understanding employer. I changed 4 jobs in two year, even named "The worst employee I have ever had". I quit my last job because I had taken too many MC and my boss wasn't happy.

I've tried every single med available and even Electro Convulsive Therapy. Been held in the psychiatric ward and physically restrained to my bed, twice.

Good to know someone else here that has Schizoaffective too.

This post has been edited by kd2704: Mar 30 2020, 11:31 PM
Palindromes
post Mar 31 2020, 12:02 AM

Getting Started
Validating
157 posts

QUOTE(kd2704 @ Mar 30 2020, 11:29 PM)
I have Schizoaffective too. Sometimes I go to Emergency Unit and the doctors will be like "Schizo-what?". So I just call it Bipolar (My initial diagnosis).

It's nice to have an understanding employer. I changed 4 jobs in two year, even named "The worst employee I have ever had". I quit my last job because I had taken too many MC and my boss wasn't happy.

I've tried every single med available and even Electro Convulsive Therapy. Been held in the psychiatric ward and physically restrained to my bed, twice.

Good to know someone else here that has Schizoaffective too.
Nice reading your comments.

Yes, one of the dilemma of those who visit psychiatrist clinic periodically is that they must take MC from occasionally to frequently. I remember I took "time-off" (4 hours), instead of day-off. If working part-time then this shouldn't be a problem....

I think you're more stable right now. Yes, ECT is one of the treatment, but can cause short-term memory loss, after the therapy, couldn't remember the name of a close friend.

Are you taking any med that can treat schizophrenia and bipolar at the same time? For example, Aripiprazole can control symptoms of schizophrenia and bipolar (type 1?). Risperidone can treat schizophrenia and autism....( I am actually more willing to believe that I am autistic, for reasons not known to doctor)

I think we are in the same boat, I have been to psychiatric ward several times.

I have met many fellow Sz/A in the Westerners' webforum, and have met several local people diagnosed with schizophrenia (who are illiterate in English, and staying at welfare home), but none of them are Malaysian, Sz/A, and able to type in English!

Me too, good to know someone from LYN.... I hope you're doing good in your career life right now? Or maybe not now (because of the MCO)....
kd2704
post Mar 31 2020, 12:28 AM

Getting Started
151 posts

I have to visit my psychiatrist every 2 weeks, so it's very difficult to navigate working life and mental health commitments at the same time. I usually take half day leave because I don't like taking time off and having my workmates to cover my part of the job (I work in special needs field, I'm a psychology graduate)

Yeah, much better now. Just that I'm having trouble with impulsiveness when it comes to my meds, I tend to overdose my pills to get some sleep. If I tell "regular" people that I overdose, they think I'm a junkie. But we know as time pass by, body builds resistance towards meds.

My 2nd ECT was done while I had my first job. After that I totally couldn't remember how to do my job, even forgot my client's name. (This is difficult for the nature of my job, I work with clients for 1 to 1 basis)

Currently taking Seroquel Ir, Diazepam, Epilim Chrono and Propranolol.

Trying to figure out a work from home since I can't work with people due to medical commitments.

How about you?
Palindromes
post Mar 31 2020, 01:17 AM

Getting Started
Validating
157 posts

QUOTE(kd2704 @ Mar 31 2020, 12:28 AM)
I have to visit my psychiatrist every 2 weeks, so it's very difficult to navigate working life and mental health commitments at the same time. I usually take half day leave because I don't like taking time off and having my workmates to cover my part of the job (I work in special needs field, I'm a psychology graduate)

Yeah, much better now. Just that I'm having trouble with impulsiveness when it comes to my meds, I tend to overdose my pills to get some sleep. If I tell "regular" people that I overdose, they think I'm a junkie. But we know as time pass by, body builds resistance towards meds.

My 2nd ECT was done while I had my first job. After that I totally couldn't remember how to do my job, even forgot my client's name. (This is difficult for the nature of my job, I work with clients for 1 to 1 basis)

Currently taking Seroquel Ir, Diazepam, Epilim Chrono and Propranolol.

Trying to figure out a work from home since I can't work with people due to medical commitments.

How about you?
Sorry to hear your experience. It is true, too frequent doctor's appointment can disrupt our career life. I mostly ask for 6-month return visit if possible, normally it is given 4~5 months for every return visit. But I still have to go to hospital to collect meds every month... doh.gif

All your meds sound familiar to me. In regards to side effect, we all hate to become overweight by excessive eating.... I remember I took Epilim (not Epilim Chrono, though I am not sure of the difference), my weight gained about 15 kg more....so my doctor stopped prescribing it.

I think you are working as a counselor ? But you need not to reply. I hope you can find a work from home, flexible hours job soon....

I am doing quite bad since 2011. From a C++ programmer in my early career (the job which I slept for an hour in office), I job-hopped no less than 20 jobs....it is a series of jobs, not exactly a career. For example, during 2004~2007, I actually switched about 7 jobs, all professional programmer job...no kidding. I was asked to leave the company in one of the job. For the rest, it was me who chose to give up and resign.

In 2011, I tried jobs like toilet cleaner and storekeeper. There was one fellow Indonesian cleaner who said to me :" For people like you, you shouldn't work as cleaner like us, you should find better job...." I still remember her words until today.

So, 3 years ago, I found a stable job by becoming a part-time delivery rider using motorcycle. Don't worry, I am not drowsy at all.
At the same time, I work from home as a part-time C# programmer....

kd2704
post Mar 31 2020, 06:15 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

Yeah, I tried to nego a longer period between appts but still need to collect meds every month.

Used to take Epilim too. Then psychiatrist changed it to Epilim Chrono. Can't remember why. My weight almost doubled after taking meds (46 kg to 86kg). Remeron was the most notorious with the weight side effects of weight gain.

I'm a special needs educator. Can't be a counselor or psychologist without a Master's degree.

Programming is nice but can be very tiring, before I took a degree in psychology, I was for a semester as a student in UTP doing Information Systems. Unfortunately, I failed all my papers because I was very ill at that time and was kicked pout from uni.

No matter how difficult things were for you, you kept strong and to continue finding income, even as a toilet cleaner, which I respect. Life is tough, but you're tougher. wink.gif

Glad to hear you have a stable job now. smile.gif

Palindromes
post Apr 2 2020, 07:44 PM

Getting Started
Validating
157 posts

QUOTE(kd2704 @ Mar 31 2020, 06:15 PM)
Yeah, I tried to nego a longer period between appts but still need to collect meds every month.

Used to take Epilim too. Then psychiatrist changed it to Epilim Chrono. Can't remember why. My weight almost doubled after taking meds (46 kg to 86kg). Remeron was the most notorious with the weight side effects of weight gain.

I'm a special needs educator. Can't be a counselor or psychologist without a Master's degree.

Programming is nice but can be very tiring, before I took a degree in psychology, I was for a semester as a student in UTP doing Information Systems. Unfortunately, I failed all my papers because I was very ill at that time and was kicked pout from uni.

No matter how difficult things were for you, you kept strong and to continue finding income, even as a toilet cleaner, which I respect. Life is tough, but you're tougher. wink.gif

Glad to hear you have a stable job now. smile.gif
Thank you for your well wishes.... I am happy that both of us are able to relate to each other in experiencing the mental illness and its treatment....

smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0169sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:07 PM