Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Playback VP9 Youtube, Chrome & Ryzen 3200G

views

TSJoseph Hahn
post Aug 15 2019, 10:10 PM, updated 5y ago

kpop k
6,410 posts

Hey guys. As per title, i'm having problem with VP9 playback in Youtube using Chrome. It doesn't seem to be using my 3200G capability to decode VP9. BUT, if i use h264ify, it accelerates just fine with VC1 codec. But this limits the video to only 1080P and no HDR support. So, any idea why my PC won't use hardware decode for VP9?
GOPI56
post Aug 15 2019, 10:14 PM

Regular
1,396 posts

What GPU are you using? If your PC got GPU you can use GPU decoding.

Steps:
1. First, go to advanced settings of your chrome browser and enable hardware acceleration. After that exit and reopen your chrome browser.

user posted image

2. After that to verify whether are your chrome browser is using GPU video decoding or not, type chrome://gpu in the address bar of your chrome browser and you should see like shown in the pictures below.

user posted image

And in the video acceleration information section you should see this:

user posted image

3. And now try playing 4K youtube videos and you should get smooth playback without stutters or lags.

user posted image

Thank you.
TSJoseph Hahn
post Aug 16 2019, 09:47 AM

kpop k
6,410 posts

QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Aug 15 2019, 10:14 PM)
What GPU are you using? If your PC got GPU you can use GPU decoding.

Steps:
1. First, go to advanced settings of your chrome browser and enable hardware acceleration. After that exit and reopen your chrome browser.

user posted image

2. After that to verify whether are your chrome browser is using GPU video decoding or not, type chrome://gpu in the address bar of your chrome browser and you should see like shown in the pictures below.

user posted image

And in the video acceleration information section you should see this:

user posted image

3. And now try playing 4K youtube videos and you should get smooth playback without stutters or lags.

user posted image

Thank you.

Amd Ryzen 3200G built in graphics supports vp9 decoding. Chrome setting is definitely correct. I'm just wondering why it works with VC1 but not VP9 which really confuses me.

TSJoseph Hahn
post Aug 20 2019, 12:17 PM

kpop k
6,410 posts

Ok an update. I downloaded Youtube video in VP9 format, played it in VLC and still no hardware decode. VC1 or H264 works just fine. Really pulling my hair on this one. confused.gif bangwall.gif bangwall.gif bangwall.gif
TSJoseph Hahn
post Aug 21 2019, 08:21 PM

kpop k
6,410 posts

Ok i finally found the solution. After installing this codec it works. It's supposed to be already installed after a certain build of Windows 10 though.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-my/p/vp9-video...vot:overviewtab

user posted image

Case closed. =x

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0127sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:54 AM