Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Science How is master of science in statistics at UM?

views

TSHinoni P
post Apr 21 2019, 12:25 PM, updated 5y ago

Probation
8 posts

Im looking for coursework master. Not sure is Master of science in statisitcs in University malaya good or not.. Are the lecturers up to date? I doubt the course subjects worth to study or not cuz doesnt seem useful if want do job outside acadmia. Any advice really appreciated. Tq
v1n0d
post May 7 2019, 05:10 PM

Another roof, another proof.
3,197 posts

IMHO UM's stats course is one of the best locally (with the exception of UiTM). I've worked with some of their graduates in the past and their quality of output is commendable.

Also, better to go with the mixed mode as you'll lose out on breadth if you go directly for research.
Lysentrix
post Jul 11 2020, 10:16 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ May 7 2019, 05:10 PM)
IMHO UM's stats course is one of the best locally (with the exception of UiTM). I've worked with some of their graduates in the past and their quality of output is commendable.

Also, better to go with the mixed mode as you'll lose out on breadth if you go directly for research.
Hi Vinod, can you explain further, in what capacity do you work with these UM statistics grads? I'm just trying to further understand whether the skills learnt is something useful in actual corporate environment. I'm thinking to apply for next year's Feb intake.
v1n0d
post Jul 12 2020, 06:52 AM

Another roof, another proof.
3,197 posts

QUOTE(Lysentrix @ Jul 11 2020, 10:16 PM)
Hi Vinod, can you explain further, in what capacity do you work with these UM statistics grads? I'm just trying to further understand whether the skills learnt is something useful in actual corporate environment. I'm thinking to apply for next year's Feb intake.
I work as a data scientist in risk management. The UM grads I’ve worked with have good grounding in theory and know the limitations of their tools well. The latter is quite important as in practice data rarely (if ever) meets the assumptions required for a particular technique. We can’t tell the business we’ve hit a wall because the data isn’t perfect for modeling. Practice is all about trade offs and properly quantifying the risk of our predictions so that the business can make an informed decision on whether or not taking that risk is within their appetite. They also have experience with statistical programming, although it’s not as in-depth as it should be. This would be the one Achilles heel of their program, though it’s not something that can’t be fixed by a bit of self-study.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0134sec    0.44    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:04 PM