Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Engine Knocking Sound with Petronas Primax 95

SportyHandling
post Mar 15 2019, 11:07 PM, updated 4d ago

Group: Newbie

Would like to find out if there is anyone who experienced your vehicle's engine showing a knocking sound during acceleration with Petronas Primax 95 fuel.

In my case, the knocking sound only happens with one car, the Proton Preve Turbo. It doesn't happen with other cars which include Ford Focus and Mazda CX5.

I am certain that it is fuel related because I hands been driving the Proton Preve Turbo for almost 6 years now. It first started to show knocking after about 1 year from new with Petronas fuel. At first I thought something wasn't right but after I switched to Caltex, the engine knocking sound was gone. I drove the car solely on Caltex for about 3 years and there was not a hint of the engine knocking. But lately I got a company petrol card so I started to switch to Petronas again. The moment I switched to Petronas, the knocking sound came back.

I suspect there is something with the Petronas fuel that is not very suitable for the Turbo engine of the Proton Preve. There is no issue at all with Caltex fuel .

Is there any other owner who made the same observation and if yes, what is your car? Fwiw there is no difference with the new Primax with Pro-drive formula as shown in another thread here. The knocking sound is still there.
markblurberry
post Mar 15 2019, 11:25 PM

Group: Junior Member

Have been a Caltex owner for 10 years now, it that good. I had knocking on Shell and Petronas
jetblast
post Mar 15 2019, 11:28 PM

Getting Started

Need to use ron97 to avoid knocking?
Jedi
post Mar 15 2019, 11:32 PM

Pax Et Bonum
Group: Senior Member

Why u use shit euro2 fuel in the beginning?
Only Bhp and caltex

All others don't touch. All tongkat from gomen. Such as gomen ministers, Jusa C so on and forth.
rhenadal
post Mar 15 2019, 11:34 PM

Getting Started

I vouch for bhp
Thrust
post Mar 16 2019, 05:53 AM

Power To The People!!!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Jedi @ Mar 15 2019, 11:32 PM)
Why u use shit euro2 fuel in the beginning?
Only Bhp and caltex

All others don't touch. All tongkat from gomen. Such as gomen ministers, Jusa C so on and forth.
I've read BHP fuel are of Euro 3 to 5 grade depending on batches imported from Singapore oil refinery. However, I've not heard about Caltex having fuel better than Euro2. Can share where you get the info? Thanks
mr_geforce
post Mar 16 2019, 08:34 AM

i am driving preve turbo too. that day fill up bhp ron 97 n after that left 2 bar n fill up petronas 95 primax. there is no weird sound heard when using bhp ron 97. there is some sound when using petronas 95
jamespaul
post Mar 16 2019, 08:45 AM

Getting Started

All placebo la. Show video proof of sound, I will believe. BHP is almost Euro 3, when the batch is good, Euro 3 when not so good, Euro 2.

There are only 2 top tier fuels, Caltex and Shell
speedy3210
post Mar 16 2019, 10:46 AM

QUOTE(SportyHandling @ Mar 15 2019, 11:07 PM)
Would like to find out if there is anyone who experienced your vehicle's engine showing a knocking sound during acceleration with Petronas Primax 95 fuel.

In my case, the knocking sound only happens with one car, the Proton Preve Turbo. It doesn't happen with other cars which include Ford Focus and Mazda CX5.

I am certain that it is fuel related because I hands been driving the Proton Preve Turbo for almost 6 years now. It first started to show knocking after about 1 year from new with Petronas fuel. At first I thought something wasn't right but after I switched to Caltex, the engine knocking sound was gone. I drove the car solely on Caltex for about 3 years and there was not a hint of the engine knocking. But lately I got a company petrol card so I started to switch to Petronas again. The moment I switched to Petronas, the knocking sound came back.

I suspect there is something with the Petronas fuel that is not very suitable for the Turbo engine of the Proton Preve. There is no issue at all with Caltex fuel .

Is there any other owner who made the same observation and if yes, what is your car? Fwiw there is no difference with the new Primax with Pro-drive formula as shown in another thread here. The knocking sound is still there.
I dun face any prolonged knocking with petronas fuel, but it somehow raised the working temp on my temp gauge. Just slightly more (say 2.5 notches) than any other brand of petrol (shell, caltex, bhp, petron at 2 notches) consistently and the effect is gone when i switched brand.

not sure if it is coz of my timing advance setting or what. std proton setting is 5deg btdc, i was told. i think mine is at 8deg btdc or more, set by my mech.

my car is wira 1.6.

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0553sec    4.08    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2019 - 05:51 PM