Home Networking WiFi Router Discussion Thread, Updated for 2023

views

wirelessbuyer
post Jan 18 2021, 03:26 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(Noname95 @ Jan 18 2021, 02:55 PM)
Shopee mono digital TUF-AX3000 RM551.10 now
Saw that too, very tempting but sadly out of my budget. In the end, I just buy ax56u for rm303 after rm5 shop discount and before shopee coins deduction.
wirelessbuyer
post Jan 22 2021, 02:11 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(jpong1 @ Jan 22 2021, 10:39 AM)
can see anyone selling at RM303. Can provide link ? thanks
It was on promo last monday, now the price is back to normal I think.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
wirelessbuyer
post Jan 22 2021, 02:54 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(jpong1 @ Jan 22 2021, 02:43 PM)
thanks for reply, I missed the boat.
BTW, how's the coverage ? stable ?

smile.gif
Not yet received, seller only ship out yesterday so damn slow. I'll report back once received and testing it, currently still using the stock time ac1200.
wirelessbuyer
post Jan 26 2021, 08:46 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(jpong1 @ Jan 22 2021, 02:43 PM)
thanks for reply, I missed the boat.
BTW, how's the coverage ? stable ?

smile.gif
This RT-AX56U seems having an issue if I enabled wifi 6. On short distance like 1m away, tested using iperf3 on ipad air 4 (wifi 6 capable), averaging around 800Mbps and peak at 900Mbps on 80Hz channel width. But once I enter my room 7m away with 1 wall, the speed fluctuate alot going lowest 100Mbps to 400Mbps.

Disabling wifi 6 giving much stable speed. 1m away clear sight, 600Mbps average & 700Mbps peak. 7m away with 1 wall, 400Mbps average & 500Mbps peak.

Even my wifi 5 devices also perform better interms of speed and stability when disabling wifi 6 sweat.gif Btw, the 5GHz wifi5/6 testing above is using empty channel after scanning the network, so very minimal interference here.

Hopefully this issue can be fixed with firmware update. Running 3.0.0.4.384_9428 now.

wirelessbuyer
post Jan 28 2021, 01:22 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(hlmilk112 @ Jan 28 2021, 08:00 AM)
TP link AX5400 preorder seem solid. no review for this yet:

user posted image

any comment about this beast?
Wah the pwp combo price seems very tempting drool.gif Specs wise also not bad in paper.
wirelessbuyer
post Jan 30 2021, 10:37 AM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(kk131 @ Jan 30 2021, 10:00 AM)
You need to compare the overall package offered -

Asus - generally good support for firmware updates, especially the popular models and 3rd party firmware
TP-Link - I don't have much experience, but from what I read not the same level of support as Asus
Yeah agree with you. Hardware specs alone don't give the bigger picture here, tplink always win in providing value for money for the specs.

I was a tplink user and actually love their simplified web/app interface, but it's a bit limiting in feature set. For example, the opnvpn server is just a passwordless and doesn't support user/password connection, doesn't have built-in vpn client, etc.

Then I upgrade to ax56u, it was a culture shock to see soooo much advance feature available and very fast and snappier to load, it is quite overwhelming at first and after couple of days starting to get used to it. It's just the web/app interface IMO a bit messy for my liking.

Maybe for normal day-to-day user, this feature set is not really matter for them anyway, in that case perhaps tplink maybe a clear choice? sweat.gif
wirelessbuyer
post Jan 30 2021, 11:35 AM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(kk131 @ Jan 30 2021, 10:53 AM)
Asus has Trend support for malware protection and QOS classification, does TP-Link have something simiilar? The Trend Licence cost is included in the Asus package.
Not sure about that, my old tplink doesn't come with any malware protection but the latest model does, homeshield powered by avira, free/paid subscription model.

QOS on my old tplink is just basic one, device priority. For ax56u, it even support per device bandwidth limit that works almost 99% of the speed target set.
wirelessbuyer
post Jan 31 2021, 10:07 AM

Casual
343 posts

This seller provide 10% store-wide voucher with no cap! Can get ax73 at RM360 lmao .. 3 unit left gogo buy rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

https://shopee.com.my/product/175364569/9211715068
wirelessbuyer
post Feb 9 2021, 10:02 AM

Casual
343 posts

For the same price segments RM 400-ish, tplink AX73 is much superior than asus RT-AX56U interms of coverage area, stronger wall penetration, very stable signal and higher max speed throughput that a client can achieve, especially with a wifi 6 capable client. I own both routers and tested in 1000 sqft high rise housing with congested wifi network.

Just one thing that Asus did very well is the software, it has so much advance feature that you can play around, but for those who just care about strong and reliable wifi signal, I really recommend AX73 for this price range.
wirelessbuyer
post Feb 18 2021, 08:03 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(ChrisHor @ Feb 18 2021, 04:49 PM)
Hi,
Currently on Maxis fibre 300M with TPlink Archer C5V with Tplink AX20 on AP mode.
My problem is the AX20 (on Ap mode) cannot do parental control setting and I need the Archer C5V for VOIP.
Please recommend a router (on AP mode) that has good parental control or any other suggestion.
If you don't mind with having double NAT issue, you can use your AX20 in router mode and theoretically the parental control should work for all devices connected to AX20
wirelessbuyer
post Feb 19 2021, 04:31 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(sairay @ Feb 19 2021, 03:47 PM)
I am considering wireless router below:

1. AX20 (TPlink) vs AX55 (Asus)
2. AX73 (TPlink) vs AX56U (Asus)

Price diff btw no.1 and 2 is around rm100. I had use Asus previously and find their UI very good.

Have not try TPlink before. Currently using standard unifi dir-842.

Would like to hear some thought and opinion on tplink and asus real user feedback.

Appreciate it.
You can refer my previous comment here, https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f...post&p=99927504
I used to own both but decided to keep ax73 and sell ax56u. In short, for the same price range, tplink gives better performance but asus give better software/feature.

QUOTE(skzisghost @ Feb 19 2021, 11:09 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
I think you got a bad unit? Try to reset and reconfigure again, if the same issue still persist just send it for warranty. I've faced one time blackout while using this ax73, and the router bootup itself normally after the electricity restored. Tested to switch off/on using the physical button, still didn't face the ssid rename as you mention. Below is my ping result to the same ip as per your screenshot using pc connected via lan, fyi I'm on time fibre not unifi ya.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
wirelessbuyer
post Feb 23 2021, 11:09 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(runrabbitjunk @ Feb 23 2021, 06:54 PM)
Need some router expert help, been online for hours and still can't find what I need  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif

House type: Condo
Size of house: 900
Features required: future proof with Wifi 6 I guess, plus support NAS
Number of devices connected to WiFi:almost 10 devices (laptops, phones, tablets, google speakers, TV)
Internet Speed: now 24Mbps but I've loved to get about 1000Mbps one day
Budget: depends on quality but not more than RM 600

Personally leaning towards Asus, don't mind D-Link but just want it to last for the next 5 years. Last NetGear WNDR4300 died think due to heat or something.

Thanks a bunch guys!
You may consider tplink archer ax73 RM400 for its value for money. Many fellow friends here are also suggesting it, btw I'm using it too in a 1000sqft apartment and so far has been working excellent for me. For asus you may consider tuf ax-3000 or ax-58u, a bit above your budget but sometime you can get it on sale at shopee/lazada around RM550-600.

QUOTE(runrabbitjunk @ Feb 23 2021, 09:42 PM)
What's the diff between the AX1800 and AX3000 and is the AC2400 any good?
AX1800 means 574Mbps at 2.4GHz + 1,201Mbps at 5GHz @ 80MHz = ~1800Mbps theoretical speed
AX3000 means 574Mbps at 2.4GHz + 2,402Mbps at 5GHz @ 160MHz = ~3000Mbps theoretical speed
Since you want to future proof yourself with wifi6, just buy wifi6 router and skip any wifi5 router aka ac2400
wirelessbuyer
post Feb 23 2021, 11:52 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(XeactorZ @ Feb 23 2021, 11:23 PM)
Malaysia don't have AX-58U, is called RT-AX3000 in Malaysia laugh.gif
Ah thanks for the correction, very similar yet slightly different doh.gif
wirelessbuyer
post Feb 26 2021, 09:35 AM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(msa9696 @ Feb 26 2021, 01:49 AM)
Thanks a lot for your advice, really appreciate it.
I was surfing through the discussion here earlier and saw some recommendation on AX73, then saw a good deal from Ookas which is ending in few hours. So I quickly bought it as a temporary solution first, since the price is reasonable. Cannot live with router issues since so many of us working from home now. Hence with the AX73 don't think I can opt for ethernet backhaul.

This is my plan.
My router currently placed on 1st floor. Signal on 1st floor ok.
Ground floor is using powerline, and signal also acceptable, so I thought for now, not to waste the powerline and continue using it first.
Second floor having weak signal, so I think I can also consider just to buy 1 unit extender with OneMesh capability. Some recommended RE505X which is yet to arrive, might consider it later. Between my router (1st floor) and 2nd floor, half way up the stairs, there's a plug point and signal to the router should be ok. So maybe can consider to place the mesh extender there in future.

Hope my plan makes sense for now, don't mind to change later if it doesn't work out, as now most important is to quickly get my network up and running first.
Since you already bought the tplink ax73, just fyi (if you don't already aware) that tplink onemesh will not support ethernet backhaul, only deco line up support ethernet backhaul. You can only use single router in a onemesh network (multiple router won't work) and must combine it with one or multiple onemesh certified range extender or powerline. https://www.tp-link.com/my/support/faq/2690/

QUOTE(SFX @ Feb 26 2021, 02:33 AM)
Your powerline adapter was not mesh capable. So you are connecting to different wireless SSIDs. One for ground floor SSID from the 1st powerline adapter, another SSID for the 2nd floor from the 2nd powerline adapter and finally the third SSID for 1st floor where your main router was located.

If you cannot use ethernet backhaul on the TP-Link AX73 router means that you utilised all 4 ethernet ports for your devices' connection using ethernet cable (and for powerline). The solution is to add another switch (8-ports recommended) to expand the number of ethernet ports available. Connect devices to the additional switch, with one ethernet cable connecting the switch back to router. Use the rest of the ethernet ports on the router itself for ethernet backhaul of your powerline/range extender/mesh units.
Apparently with tplink ax73, the onemesh doesn't support ethernet backhaul (as of today), except for deco line up. I just wish tplink follow how asus implement their aimesh that allow multiple routers to work together, so that old routers can be repurpose for a mesh network. I own ax73 and my assumption initially was onemesh should work with multiple routers either wired/wireless, but apparently not, tplink onemesh have this limitation, probably is done purposely to separate from their deco mesh line up.

wirelessbuyer
post Feb 26 2021, 01:21 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(msa9696 @ Feb 26 2021, 11:31 AM)
Still trying to digest all these as I'm very weak on all these networking, will definitely read more to understand deeper.

My current setup:-
2nd Floor - currently no powerline, weak wifi signal (2 bar), so I also have concern the AX73 signal will be weaker than my existing AC5400
1st Floor - TP-Link AC5400 router, using 1 ethernet port go into the wall
G Floor - Powerline, 1 unit connected to the wall (which connects to the router on 1st Floor) and another Powerline further apart to extend the signal

Not sure if I can maintain my setup with the AX73 (replacing AC5400), and then create a mesh network (with RE505X when it arrives) to boost signal to 2nd floor. Sound weird to me, where 1st and 2nd floor will be on mesh network while ground floor is on the homeplug setup.

Worst case, maybe for short term, just buy a cheaper range extender (not mesh) for 2nd floor.
While waiting for re5050x to enter malaysian market, you could try the suggestion by ideaplus if you can pull lan cable to either 2nd floor or G floor.

2nd floor - Existing AC5400, access point mode (if you can pull lan cable from 1st floor)
1st floor - AX73, router mode
G floor - Existing Powerline

or

2nd floor - Existing Powerline
1st floor - AX73, router mode
G floor - Existing AC5400, access point mode (if you can pull lan cable from 1st floor)
wirelessbuyer
post Feb 28 2021, 11:23 AM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(pikafaded @ Feb 28 2021, 10:59 AM)
Anyone know why my AX20 has hidden networks with same signal strength and WiFi channel as my 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi? It shows up at my laptop and will It affects my network speed? Since they are interfering each other.
Turn off OneMesh feature and see whether it is still there
wirelessbuyer
post Mar 2 2021, 03:33 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(willleoho @ Mar 2 2021, 02:03 PM)
House Type: Condo
Size: 1,200 sq ft
Features required: Stable and fast connection speed
Number of devices connected to WiFi: 5~8 at a time
Internet Speed: 500mbps TIME
Budget: as long as not overkill
Need each sifus opinion here. I'm looking to purchase 2-pack deco x20 for my new condo unit. But have a few thoughts in mind:
1. To have 1 unit replace as router, with another unit installed at the corridor through wireless backhaul
2. To have 1 unit replace as router, with another unit in master bedroom plugged to the repeat point (RJ 45 outlet)
3. To purchase 2 routers (say Asus RT-AX55), and create an AIMesh system (1 at living room, 1 at master bedroom).
4. Just have 1 crazy good router at living room (suggestions needed for this).
Which options look to be the best? Layout attached.
<a href='https://pictr.com/images/2021/03/02/7KsPJq.md.png' target='_blank'>https://pictr.com/images/2021/03/02/7KsPJq.md.png </a>
I would pick option 2 or 3 as it will create mesh network using wired backhaul via your rj45 outlet, but please make sure that outlet do support gigabit connection, if it's just limited to 100Mbps, the wireless backhaul might be better and faster.

Choose option 3 if you need any features that only Asus offers (eg. vpn client, ovpn server with password connection, etc) and make sure you're running on the latest firmware that support AiMesh 2.0 or newer, otherwise option 2 is good too.
wirelessbuyer
post Mar 3 2021, 11:42 AM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(billyboy @ Mar 2 2021, 10:46 PM)
Looking for help where is the shortfall in my Unifi speed (everything on cable).....all advice gratefully appreciated.... icon_idea.gif

Current subscription : 800mbps Unifi
Existing speed : 250mbps download / 150 mbps upload

Existing equipment : Router (DIR 850L) - provided by TM  notworthy.gif
Modem : Echolife HG8240H (Apr 2018)

Cat 6 cable connects from Router to 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (TL-SG 1008D)

Cat 6 connects Switch to PC.

could it be equipment degradation ?  pls advice where i should check.... rclxub.gif
Did you enabled any qos setting on dir 850L?
wirelessbuyer
post Mar 5 2021, 07:39 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(hamsterr88 @ Mar 5 2021, 04:09 PM)
Hi guys, could anyone please share their opinion on this. Currently staying in a double-storey house and currently subscribing unifi 300mbps. I previously tried with a friend's deco m9 plus unit (2 units, placed ground floor and 1st floor) and found that my speed was consistent and close to 300mbps (using wifi).

Hence, now i'm thinking to buy the same unit but at the same time I came across deco m5 tripack. Unfortunately I dunno if it would give the same result, but thought the tri-pack is cheaper and can cover more bases.

What would you guys recommend?
Deco m9 plus is using dedicated secondary 5GHz for wireless backhaul to communicate with other deco node, which m5 don't have, if you plan to wired both deco then it's a different story. I think it's better to purchase something already working for you instead of buying something else and regret later, just my 2 cents biggrin.gif . https://www.tp-link.com/my/support/faq/2423/

wirelessbuyer
post Mar 7 2021, 01:46 PM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(gx_azam @ Mar 7 2021, 10:10 AM)
hi all sifu, im currently looking for routers with vpn client capabilities so that all my devices at home connected to vpn. can suggest the recommended routers available on market now? my budget within below rm500. also, any mesh wifi routers support vpn client? thanks in advance sifu
I think for consumer routers, only Asus have vpn client (l2pt, openvpn, pptp) feature built-in on stock firmware, I might be wrong though sweat.gif . E.g. rt-ax55, rt-ax56u, rt-ax3000

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1328sec    0.10    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:05 AM