Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New Registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Oxwhite shirt

gumshoe101
post Nov 30 2018, 06:55 PM

Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(zellleonhart @ Nov 29 2018, 10:56 PM)
My verdict is that if you don't mind having micro wrinkles and if it fits you well, by all means go for it. Still a cheap price at RM69. However I would not consider it a RM400 quality shirt as they advertised.
Tip: try Faultless Heavy Starch. You can buy it from HOME PRO
Old Red Eyes
post Dec 1 2018, 02:32 AM

I do think you have to be careful, in general, about using price as a proxy for quality. But in the case of a 17-dollar dress shirt -- and one that is mass-marketed, at that -- you can be very sure. Ain't nobody making any money at that rate unless they are selling you a shirt that costs at the very maximum ten dollars to make (and I suspect it's more like seven).

That's fine and all, and if works for people it works for people, but it will never -- never, ever, ever -- change the fact that the shirt cost seven dollars to make. That is *exactly* the quality you are getting. No more, and (one would hope) no less.
angelgurl_nee
post Dec 2 2018, 11:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

Hi guys, just wanted to get everyone's 2 cents here.

If a fully tailored shirt at RM158.00 will you consider that something that you'd order? Order time will take roughly 60 days. Material is latest nanotech material which is water repellent, and wrinkle free material. You can google up nanotech cloth and see what it is as well.

As mentioned I'm just here to get some ideas =)
Old Red Eyes
post Dec 2 2018, 11:42 PM

QUOTE(angelgurl_nee @ Dec 2 2018, 11:23 AM)
Hi guys, just wanted to get everyone's 2 cents here.

If a fully tailored shirt at RM158.00 will you consider that something that you'd order? Order time will take roughly 60 days. Material is latest nanotech material which is water repellent, and wrinkle free material. You can google up nanotech cloth and see what it is as well.

As mentioned I'm just here to get some ideas =)
If "fully tailored" means made to measure for you, with a test fitting garment and everything, then no, I wouldn't go for that. That is much less than you should expect to pay for a full tailoring experience. Surely a corner is being cut somewhere. The question of the "tech" fabric is another one altogether. It usually doesn't mean you are getting "more," but that you are getting less. In other words, high-end shirtmakers would typically use high-end cotton fabrics, not nanotech fabrics.

I guess it comes down to what problem you are trying to solve, by going custom as opposed to off-the-rack. This is something I'm figuring out for myself, too. It turns out that for me i'm probably better off just buying off the rack and having the sleeves shortened, rather than trying to concoct the perfect potion.

angelgurl_nee
post Dec 7 2018, 01:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Old Red Eyes @ Dec 2 2018, 11:42 PM)
If "fully tailored" means made to measure for you, with a test fitting garment and everything, then no, I wouldn't go for that. That is much less than you should expect to pay for a full tailoring experience. Surely a corner is being cut somewhere. The question of the "tech" fabric is another one altogether. It usually doesn't mean you are getting "more," but that you are getting less. In other words, high-end shirtmakers would typically use high-end cotton fabrics, not nanotech fabrics.

I guess it comes down to what problem you are trying to solve, by going custom as opposed to off-the-rack. This is something I'm figuring out for myself, too. It turns out that for me i'm probably better off just buying off the rack and having the sleeves shortened, rather than trying to concoct the perfect potion.
Actually no, all types of fabric has to go through some form of research to achieve the end product. Even the commonly heard Supima Cotton is a type of fabric which still undergoes constant changes in it's processing phase to achieve the final product. The fabric that I mentioned is a new blend only launch in 2019 and yes it's by well known tailors as well. If you walk into any custom tailor store, they too will show you different blend of fabric which comprise of pure cotton base or a blend.

But thanks for your 2 cents =)
daimon
post Dec 7 2018, 12:55 PM

Getting Started

what is the differences between their shirt and those sell in shops ? hmm
Old Red Eyes
post Dec 8 2018, 02:57 AM

QUOTE(angelgurl_nee @ Dec 7 2018, 01:01 AM)
Actually no, all types of fabric has to go through some form of research to achieve the end product. Even the commonly heard Supima Cotton is a type of fabric which still undergoes constant changes in it's processing phase to achieve the final product. The fabric that I mentioned is a new blend only launch in 2019 and yes it's by well known tailors as well. If you walk into any custom tailor store, they too will show you different blend of fabric which comprise of pure cotton base or a blend.

But thanks for your 2 cents =)
Surely you recognize why certain tailors would look to sell something different, right? That is very basic. But of course, it is not at all a guarantee that the "different" thing you are getting is better, or even as good -- or, gasp, even good.

When they start selling better leather from cows, will you be interested? Hint: You might think this is a trick quick question, and if so, you might be right.
Damien?(:
post Dec 8 2018, 03:17 PM

Getting Started

I think the saying 'You get what you pay for' is very much true, especially in the clothing industry.

No matter how much you try to skim, even the fabric itself would cost more than that for a shirting length than what is offered. For a reputable and fine fabric of course. There are heaps of cheaper ones out there of course, but definitely with shorter staple, yarn, the way it is woven and the weaving machine.

There are heaps of proper shirting fabric out there, Acorn, Thomas Mason, Soktas, DJA, Bonfanti Tessuti to name a few.

And if they're surprisingly cheaper than whats out there, its either they've, like @Old Red Eyes said, took a shortcut in the manufacturing/tailoring process, or in fabric selection.

A good MTM/Bespoke or what people always call "tailored" shirt would be no less than RM500-600, in a reputable fabric. And depending if its Bespoke or not, that could just be the starting price of a house cloth of that tailoring house.

This post has been edited by Damien?(:: Dec 8 2018, 03:18 PM

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0522sec    3.51    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 12th December 2018 - 10:35 AM