HBO Go is officially available in Malaysia, but tied to Astro Movie pack

views

AVFAN
post May 21 2019, 06:22 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

You can now download the HBO Go app

Malaysians with an Astro Movies Pack subscription can finally download the HBO Go app and watch shows and movies on the move.

The app is available on both the Google Play and Apple App stores, and the service is also accessible via the website www.hbogoasia.my.

Users will be able to watch HBO original series like Game Of Thrones, The Wire, Veep and Westworld, as well as Hollywood movies, documentaries and cartoons.

Previously, selected HBO content was available through the Astro Go app and website.

HBO Go allows users to download up to 20 shows for offline viewing and the app supports Airplay and Chromecast for streaming content to a bigger screen. Users can also view HBO Go on two concurrent streams.

Astro says in a press statement that the content will be offered in full HD if available.

Non-Astro Movies pack subscribers will only be able to view content under the Without Registration tab. However, they will be limited to 40-second preview clips, behind the scenes featurettes and trailers for upcoming shows.

To gain access to the full library, they will have to commit to an Astro Movies Pack subscription which starts from RM71.95 for the Movies Bundle package. The subscription includes HBO, Cinemax and Fox Movies.

New users will also have to pay a one-time installation fee of RM199, which will be reduced to RM99 if they agree to a 24-month contract. The offer comes with a HD decoder.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech-news/2...DfykYwgs693q.99

AVFAN
post May 22 2019, 01:06 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(cannavaro @ May 22 2019, 12:09 AM)
finally found the hbo go malaysian apk, downloaded it from the playstore on pc by using a chrome extension

sideloaded it on my shield

However immediately after the login screen (either login using astro id or a guest) the app will crash automatically
Tried screen rotation app, change keyboard settings (like astro go) but to no avail. tried both internal and external storage as well
The app is not in androidtv playstore, may need extra work like astrogo, maybe need a modified version.

I could install direct from playstore in my box, got it running but my id/pw was not allowed since it needs to have movies pack subscription.

Anyway, i could browse it, quality looks good, hd like netflix.

There is live hbo hd channel too, and download options.

Will have to get some other id to use it...
AVFAN
post May 22 2019, 10:55 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ May 22 2019, 08:16 AM)
but it's bad if it's tied to Astro account only, would be nice if there are other options to subscribe to it doh.gif
yep, it is tied to astro movies pack.

until hbo does it alone like netflix, no other way.
AVFAN
post May 23 2019, 09:05 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ May 22 2019, 03:31 PM)
HBO Now is similar to Netflix, it's not tied to any cable/Sat TV subscription
Content also similar to HBO Go as well, IINM it's without the live TV but has more 18+ content brows.gif
but it's only available in US  dry.gif
been doing that since monkey years ago tongue.gif
but using VPN sometimes it's a hit & miss, it would be nice to stream it locally at full speed

But if you already has Astro, just a add-on of RM26.50 for Movie pack monthly, I would say it's one the cheapest high quality streaming service in M'sia for the moment.
ya, too bad... cannot buy standalone to try, must go thru astro subscription.

really, i like to try it.... no chance for any free trial, i suppose.

QUOTE(puchongite @ May 23 2019, 06:25 AM)
The HBO app works on my phone but it does not work on my tv box. Seems like stuck constantly. Login with keyboard difficult and video playback image does not show up properly. Can hear voice only and some patches of garbage on screen.

Only work stream is the live TV stream.

Anyway the app is a phone app, it is difficult to use on tvbox.

Disappointed with HBO and Astro, always release TV unfriendly apps.
yr box could do astrogo but cannot do this hbo go?

that is not good news.

if so, here we go again... what boxes can do hbo go... root, unroot, hide root...??
AVFAN
post May 23 2019, 09:22 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(puchongite @ May 23 2019, 09:11 AM)
Yes my box can do astro Go but not hbo Go. I have root, but hide it using Magisk. Could be it tried to play using certain frequency and resolution not supported by my old TV.
we really have little idea until we hear others using other boxes have success or failure.

i could get into the UI and browse with my 2 boxes but haven't got any video playing - no movies pack.

will try to get that and try again.

one thing, i tried (and 2 others already said too) - AndroidTV - it crashes after log in screen, can't even browse.
AVFAN
post May 23 2019, 09:31 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(puchongite @ May 23 2019, 09:28 AM)
Yeah possibly they purposely crippled the app for TV.

The play store  mentioned using mirror or cast to play on TV. It works, but I hate using mirroring as it gives bad image from time to time. Irritating.
mirroring, casting... bad news, not acceptable!
AVFAN
post May 23 2019, 01:40 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ May 22 2019, 03:31 PM)
But if you already has Astro, just a add-on of RM26.50 for Movie pack monthly, I would say it's one the cheapest high quality streaming service in M'sia for the moment.
if rm26.50 per month and i think good for 3 users, say rm10 a month per user?

say, anyone wanting to sell id/pw for hbo go? biggrin.gif

i'm interested to try for 1 month just to make sure it works on my box; if OK, can do 3 months min.

not so interested in the movies or live channels but the VOD old tv series... like to watch some of them with reliability.

AVFAN
post May 24 2019, 10:11 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ May 24 2019, 08:49 AM)
Netflix US better than M'sia one
XXX US is better than M'sia one, etc...

no point complaining about the content differences as it's due to copyright that's beyond our control
just be grateful that it's available here locally officially, and able to subscribe to it legitly
beside legit, the best thing about apps like hbogo, astrogo, unifi playtv, iflix, netflix is they are stable and reliable, and easy to use.

just a matter whether you like their contents or not.

with 2-3 of these apps, there is plenty to watch.
AVFAN
post May 24 2019, 10:55 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ May 24 2019, 10:52 AM)
yet there are still lots of ppl out there with this mindset "if i can buy one TV box & watch those for free, why waste money to pay monthly"

But they didn't realized most of the TV box out there are streaming illegal streams which is equivalent of piracy
and by watching illegal streams, they actually hurt their favorite show indirectly

last time they may have more reasonable excuses that those content aren't available locally due to geo-restriction
but nowadays with multiple legit streaming platform available with very reasonable price which is a lot more cheaper than Astro
it shouldn't be an excuse anymore
right.

it's alright to find and use whatever u can for free while they last.

but after a while, it becomes clear which way to go. biggrin.gif
AVFAN
post May 24 2019, 05:36 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

get a taste of HBO Go: titles, 1-2 min trailers, on pc.
https://www.hbogoasia.my/#free_content

my regular android 7, 8 boxes can also view trailers w/o log in.

however, android 4... can install but unable to view anything.

This post has been edited by AVFAN: May 26 2019, 10:09 AM
AVFAN
post May 28 2019, 06:18 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ May 28 2019, 02:16 PM)
HBO Asia has confirmed they are currently working on the ATV version
now it's just a matter of time of waiting patiently

anyway, if your android box is running on older version, it seems the current app is compatible, I can find it and install it on my mibox3 running on v7, but the one on v8 is not compatible
i also think that appears to be lip service.

and i mean having hbo go app approved by google and made available in ATV playstore malaysia.

i really can't see that happening.

becos that would be a smack on astro's face since astrogo itself hasn't got into ATV playstore after some blardy years! tongue.gif
AVFAN
post May 29 2019, 06:35 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(amirul hafizz @ May 29 2019, 08:41 AM)
Hbo go malaysia not same like's Hbo go singapore, indonesia and philipines. They more all Hbo group, like's Hbo, Hbo Famili, Hbo Hits, Hbo Signature, Cinemax And Red By Hbo. Hbo Malaysia only have Hbo Live telecast and VOD.
I Used Hbo Indonesia, friends from indonesia share Id with me but i need use VPN b'coz geostrict.
yes.

becos in other countries, hbo does it alone, like netflix.

here, they locked themselves with astro, so u must go thru astro.

so u see astro is very powerful.

why... good or not, i really dunno!
AVFAN
post May 30 2019, 08:53 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ May 30 2019, 08:38 AM)
Not really, HBO Go that's available in other countries are also tied to cable/Sat TV account
you can't just subscribe to it individually
AFAIK HK also like that
just that they have more sat/cable TV choices, just us we are locked with Astro
IINM only few like SG you can subscribe directly thru itunes/google

HBO Now allows you to subscribe directly, but it's only available in the states sad.gif
think hbo go over the top (standalone) now available in some european and latin america countries.

may get to asia one day...
AVFAN
post Jul 19 2019, 02:03 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(ShawnSotong @ Jul 19 2019, 01:08 PM)
Yes correct you are right. I can’t use AstroGo Beta while AstroGo 8.2.6 is OK.

So coclusion is my device (unifi stb) limitation?
no more beta.

try this current apk.
https://www.apkmonk.com/download-app/com.as...2019-07-17.apk/

if still no good, it means yr box is too low level for the app.

many other boxes works fine with it.

frankly, u can get a new box for RM100 or so, no need to struggle...!
AVFAN
post Jul 21 2019, 01:56 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(annoymous1234 @ Jul 20 2019, 10:15 AM)
anyone notice the live tv audio and video is out of sync? there's a slight audio delay
You mean hbo live channel?

Astrogo live channels have that issue.... some worse than others.

VOD is ok, no problem.

Not sure if it was the same with old astrogo app but with new astrogo app, i am pleased to find lot of vod movies and tv shows even when i do not hv movies package.

HBO tv series all there, incl recent titles like Chernobyl, Warrior, True Detective, GOT.

HD, with eng subs too. Nice!

This post has been edited by AVFAN: Jul 21 2019, 01:58 AM
AVFAN
post Jul 21 2019, 09:35 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(annoymous1234 @ Jul 21 2019, 09:25 AM)
i meant in the hbo go app, the live channel section
that means the same problem in both hbo go and astrogo - for boxes.

mobile devices are OK, i'm quite sure.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0191sec    0.10    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:52 AM