Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 CKD, Is it a good buy? Any users here?

views

TSJackBot
post Jun 27 2018, 05:56 PM, updated 6y ago

6 posts

Dear auto sifus, I'm thinking of buying a SUV for my work and family use. Currently driving a 2010 Hyundai Accent MC and plan to pass that to my wife. The reason for a SUV is due to my new worksite being in a rough road and flash flood prone area. The area where I drive by to get home are also prone to high water levels on the road when it rains heavily. I also drive my family to my MIL place once a while which is in a kampong area. I know there are a few other choices other than Outlander so below are my requirements:

1) Need extra 2 seats. Occasionally I bring my parents out for dinner/shopping nearby with my family of four so need extra seats for the short drives.
2) Need space as both my children are growing and the Accent is quite tight at the back.
3) I capped my budget at 130K (few extra thousand is ok)and the 2018 Outlander 2.0 is offered at 127K (without insurance).
4) My drive style is pretty sedated and mild so a powerful train is not a requirement.
5) I drive around 35k KM a year and have no resale plans. Just plan to pass it to my wife after 6-7years.
6) Reasonable maintenance costs.

The other option would be X-Trail 2.0. There are quite a number of users in my company and I've driven them few times. I have tested the Outlander and feel it has better road grip, better NVH and the 7airbags are good safety options to have.

What are sifus opinions/advice? Any feedback (positive or negative) from users currently using the Outlander is highly appreciated. Thank you. notworthy.gif

riezzien
post Jun 27 2018, 06:07 PM

Getting Started
107 posts

it doesnt have 2nd row aircond.
no need to mention 3rd row la
That alone is already a turnoff for me
yoyoi
post Jun 27 2018, 11:11 PM

34 posts

If you are looking for comfort, go for x-trail.

If looking for the best handling in suv clas, go for outlander.

Soon we will get facelifted x-trail. Outlander maybe within 1+ year

Third row seat for both car is pretty useless. Ok la for kids. 2nd legroom space goes to outlander, better than x-trail.

Rebate for outlander can go up to 14k, x-trail 12.5k
Lez Pall
post Jun 27 2018, 11:44 PM

46 posts

If you can find a good deal, I suggest you extend your budget and consider a base model Kia Sorento(155k w/o discounts) which is a bigger SUV and has an actually usable last row for adults.

Also, it has AWD as standard which is a bonus for your work circumstances.
Vervain
post Jun 28 2018, 02:22 AM

Scathach
5,458 posts

QUOTE(JackBot @ Jun 27 2018, 05:56 PM)
Dear auto sifus, I'm thinking of buying a SUV for my work and family use. Currently driving a 2010 Hyundai Accent MC and plan to pass that to my wife. The reason for a SUV is due to my new worksite being in a rough road and flash flood prone area. The area where I drive by to get home are also prone to high water levels on the road when it rains heavily. I also drive my family to my MIL place once a while which is in a kampong area. I know there are a few other choices other than Outlander so below are my requirements:

1) Need extra 2 seats. Occasionally I bring my parents out for dinner/shopping nearby with my family of four so need extra seats for the short drives.
2) Need space as both my children are growing and the Accent is quite tight at the back.
3) I capped my budget at 130K (few extra thousand is ok)and the 2018 Outlander 2.0 is offered at 127K (without insurance).
4) My drive style is pretty sedated and mild so a powerful train is not a requirement.   
5) I drive around 35k KM a year and have no resale plans. Just plan to pass it to my wife after 6-7years. 

The other option would be X-Trail 2.0. There are quite a number of users in my company and I've driven them few times. I have tested the Outlander and feel it has better road grip, better NVH and the 7airbags are good safety options to have.

What are sifus opinions/advice? Any feedback (positive or negative) from users currently using the Outlander is highly appreciated. Thank you. notworthy.gif

If I have to choose between the two cars, Xtrail will be my pick. Why? Refinement of the interior and 360 camera. The camera is useful.

Now for the real stuff. Lets be clear. Both vehicles are Family SUV. They are not designed for offroads despite a good ground clearance. The design of the suspension is more towards dampening asphalt flat roads and caters more towards handling and comfort, period. The suspension cannot take alot of beating. Don't be fooled by the 4wd system. 95% of the time, you will be running 2wd. Because you save more fuel, and there is no need to run or shift on 4wd based on demand. Why? the core of the 4wd system is not as robust as you think. Its just your normal on the road 4wd, mainly designed to tackle slippery rainy roads or snow on the roads or icy roads. Period. Older Xtrail 4wd are much more capable. if you need a real offroad machine, where you need to tackle the jungles of east malaysia, get a pickup. Or move up a notch and get the pajero or pajero sport or land cruiser or fortuner. Those are real offroad machines which offer "LOW DIFFERENTIAL" . you need this, along side with all terrian or offroad tyres to ensure a good traction. and yes, they do offer 7 seats. if your budget is tight. you may consider the older sorento which also have a part time 4wd system for offroad use.

Don't be fooled by the diff lock feature. This feature is good, if you have a low diff gearbox where you can lock all wheels and get your car out of sticky condition. But for SUV, yes, it helps... but... you're running road tyres.. and most rear diffs are very fragile. You can lock them on muddy or slippery ground and you are encouraged not to turn the steering whenever in use. Because you when you turn, the rotation count for inner and outer wheel side is different. And because diff locks tent to keep all wheels to rotate together for both sides, you're sending stress to the system. I've seen alot of people running diff locks on the road, ended up paying alot of money trying to fix it, or mechanically disable the system and run 2wd only as a cheaper option.

Despite both cars having good ground clearance, they are not designed to wade on flood waters. Petrol engines on both SUVs are very sensitive to water exposure. You do not see them advertising wade water depth in any of their brochure. That's because, as a core, both cars are designed to be used in the city. Which explains why CVT is used. There's alot of sensitive sensors and electronics around the vehicle, unless the salesman is confident the car can take a beating on crossing rivers and large puddle, I would strongly advise trying to gamble through the waters. The story is different when you run a diesel. most diesel engines have designed to take a beating and tough terrains.

If you need a good comfortable 7 seater, choose those minivans like kia carival, starex, alphard, veilfire, estima, etc. Those provide ample comfort to all class of passengers. no more trying to cramp your legs on the 3rd row. But if you want to get a SUV, just pick the few cars I've suggested earlier. rear aircon seats esp the 3rd rows are recommended.

Petrol Engines are cheaper to maintain, however not so reliable if you ask me. power output wise is also mediocre, fuel consumption wise, bad though from the spec, they're claiming impressive numbers, I would say, those numbers are barely achievable on city driving. You may get the numbers identical if you use the car primary on highways. Diesel on the other hands requires a bit more maintenance cost and other special car. Yes, they take up 2 bottles of lub oil. Alot of their components and replacement parts are not cheap. However, despite of their short fall, they are very very very reliable. Bullet proof. very fuel efficient, and powerful.

My suggestion is look for a 100k SUV with offroad capabilities. spend the other 20-30k for the first complete wear and tear replacement, then the car will be good to give you another 5 years run before the next major services.

ze2
post Jun 28 2018, 10:10 AM

Getting Started
253 posts

QUOTE(yoyoi @ Jun 27 2018, 11:11 PM)

Third row seat for both car is pretty useless. Ok la for kids. 2nd legroom space goes to outlander, better than x-trail.

Safety is lacking with 2 airbags
Deja Vu
post Jun 28 2018, 10:16 AM

Regular
1,851 posts

QUOTE(JackBot @ Jun 27 2018, 05:56 PM)

Drove the CKD 2.0L Outlander some months ago, and coming from an MPV owner and having seen the X-trail, the Mitsu is definitely more accommodating even at the 3rd row seat than the Nissan. However as mentioned by many, I personally think it should have rear aircon vents, and power wise it really is just adequate.

For me, I'd consider used diesel-driven SUVs like the previous Pajero Sport (available in both 2wd and 4wd variants), Isuzu MU-X or the last-generation facelifted Fortuner 2.5. Or you can look at 'softer' options including the 2.2 CRDi Hyundai Santa Fe or even the relatively high Honda BR-V.

This post has been edited by Deja Vu: Jun 28 2018, 10:17 AM
keane04
post Jun 28 2018, 10:29 AM

Regular
1,054 posts

QUOTE(Deja Vu @ Jun 28 2018, 10:16 AM)
Drove the CKD 2.0L Outlander some months ago, and coming from an MPV owner and having seen the X-trail, the Mitsu is definitely more accommodating even at the 3rd row seat than the Nissan. However as mentioned by many, I personally think it should have rear aircon vents, and power wise it really is just adequate.

For me, I'd consider used diesel-driven SUVs like the previous Pajero Sport (available in both 2wd and 4wd variants), Isuzu MU-X or the last-generation facelifted Fortuner 2.5. Or you can look at 'softer' options including the 2.2 CRDi Hyundai Santa Fe or even the relatively high Honda BR-V.
can get outlander 2.4 with more features. TS need to up the budget for another 10k though.
TSJackBot
post Jun 28 2018, 11:25 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(riezzien @ Jun 27 2018, 06:07 PM)
it doesnt have 2nd row aircond.
no need to mention 3rd row la
That alone is already a turnoff for me
Yes, the lack of aircon vent at the back is a concern. But when riding my colleagues X-trail for the occasional lunch outing, I noticed the rear aircon doesn't make much of a difference in cooling down the rear cabin. sweat.gif
TSJackBot
post Jun 28 2018, 11:36 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(yoyoi @ Jun 27 2018, 11:11 PM)

I was hoping to take advantage of this GST tax break + festive discounts. Yes, the 3rd row is for my children use only when I bring my parents for the very occasional short trips.

Although I'm ok driving my Accent for another 1-2years, my wife driving her 14yrs manual Wira may not feel the same sweat.gif
Mitsubishi Bangi only offered me 5k discount, looks like need to find better SA from elsewhere if I really want an Outlander.
keane04
post Jun 28 2018, 11:44 AM

Regular
1,054 posts

QUOTE(JackBot @ Jun 28 2018, 11:36 AM)
I was hoping to take advantage of this GST tax break + festive discounts. Yes, the 3rd row is for my children use only when I bring my parents for the very occasional short trips.

Although I'm ok driving my Accent for another 1-2years, my wife driving her 14yrs manual Wira may not feel the same  sweat.gif
Mitsubishi Bangi only offered me 5k discount, looks like need to find better SA from elsewhere if I really want an Outlander.
u got pm. shared with u what i got from my SA.
TSJackBot
post Jun 28 2018, 11:45 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(Lez Pall @ Jun 27 2018, 11:44 PM)
If you can find a good deal, I suggest you extend your budget and consider a base model Kia Sorento(155k w/o discounts) which is a bigger SUV and has an actually usable last row for adults.

Also, it has AWD as standard which is a bonus for your work circumstances.
130k is my cut-off point. Anything more is above my affordability. Also worried a 2.4L engine would increase my fuel usage.
TSJackBot
post Jun 28 2018, 11:47 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(keane04 @ Jun 28 2018, 11:44 AM)
u got pm. shared with u what i got from my SA.
Thank you kind sir notworthy.gif
keane04
post Jun 28 2018, 12:05 PM

Regular
1,054 posts

follow Mitsubishi Outlander Club Malaysia fb group..... many ppl can share good info there. good luck
TSJackBot
post Jun 28 2018, 01:21 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(Vervain @ Jun 28 2018, 02:22 AM)
If I have to choose between the two cars, Xtrail will be my pick. Why? Refinement of the interior and 360 camera. The camera is useful.

Now for the real stuff. Lets be clear. Both vehicles are Family SUV. They are not designed for offroads despite a good ground clearance. The design of the suspension is more towards dampening asphalt flat roads and caters more towards handling and comfort, period. The suspension cannot take alot of beating. Don't be fooled by the 4wd system. 95% of the time, you will be running 2wd. Because you save more fuel, and there is no need to run or shift on 4wd based on demand. Why? the core of the 4wd system is not as robust as you think. Its just your normal on the road 4wd, mainly designed to tackle slippery rainy roads or snow on the roads or icy roads. Period. Older Xtrail 4wd are much more capable. if you need a real offroad machine, where you need to tackle the jungles of east malaysia, get a pickup. Or move up a notch and get the pajero or pajero sport or land cruiser or fortuner. Those are real offroad machines which offer "LOW DIFFERENTIAL" . you need this, along side with all terrian or offroad tyres to ensure a good traction. and yes, they do offer 7 seats. if your budget is tight. you may consider the older sorento which also have a part time 4wd system for offroad use.

Don't be fooled by the diff lock feature. This feature is good, if you have a low diff gearbox where you can lock all wheels and get your car out of sticky condition. But for SUV, yes, it helps... but... you're running road tyres.. and most rear diffs are very fragile. You can lock them on muddy or slippery ground and you are encouraged not to turn the steering whenever in use. Because you when you turn, the rotation count for inner and outer wheel side is different. And because diff locks tent to keep all wheels to rotate together for both sides, you're sending stress to the system. I've seen alot of people running diff locks on the road, ended up paying alot of money trying to fix it, or mechanically disable the system and run 2wd only as a cheaper option.

Despite both cars having good ground clearance, they are not designed to wade on flood waters. Petrol engines on both SUVs are very sensitive to water exposure. You do not see them advertising wade water depth in any of their brochure. That's because, as a core, both cars are designed to be used in the city. Which explains why CVT is used. There's alot of sensitive sensors and electronics around the vehicle, unless the salesman is confident the car can take a beating on crossing rivers and large puddle, I would strongly advise trying to gamble through the waters. The story is different when you run a diesel. most diesel engines have designed to take a beating and tough terrains.

If you need a good comfortable 7 seater, choose those minivans like kia carival, starex, alphard, veilfire, estima, etc. Those provide ample comfort to all class of passengers. no more trying to cramp your legs on the 3rd row. But if you want to get a SUV, just pick the few cars I've suggested earlier. rear aircon seats esp the 3rd rows are recommended.

Petrol Engines are cheaper to maintain, however not so reliable if you ask me. power output wise is also mediocre, fuel consumption wise, bad though from the spec, they're claiming impressive numbers, I would say, those numbers are barely achievable on city driving. You may get the numbers identical if you use the car primary on highways. Diesel on the other hands requires a bit more maintenance cost and other special car. Yes, they take up 2 bottles of lub oil. Alot of their components and replacement parts are not cheap. However, despite of their short fall, they are very very very reliable. Bullet proof. very fuel efficient, and powerful.

My suggestion is look for a 100k SUV with offroad capabilities. spend the other 20-30k for the first complete wear and tear replacement, then the car will be good to give you another 5 years run before the next major services.
Thank you sir for the very thorough explanation and advice, really appreciate it & made me realise (& scared) of my lack of knowledge in SUVs (I do watch Autobuzz & really like GC Mah way of 'presentation').

My new office & factory worksite (in few months time) has mainly asphalt road mixed with gravel roads. Some of my colleagues site are up & they have started working there. Most drive cars & we can park in non-flooding parking zone provided by company. The problem for me and few other colleagues that are in application/sales/management where we have to drive out to customer/supplier sites. When it rains, the road there gets water logged or flooded depending on how heavy the rain is. Some of my colleagues with X-trails and CX5 can still drive out or in but of course in mild flood (much less than 1 feet) otherwise wait out for water to recede.

I have no intention to drive through high flood or jungle areas. Just thought of buying a SUV as it would be more 'convenient' to drive on slightly water logged or gravel road. I thought a 4wd option with 7airbags will also be safer option when I'm driving in heavy rain on the highways especially with my family on board. Sorry, I'm kind of aversive to minivans/MPVs sweat.gif Buying 2nd hand also needs much more effort & time which I lack of & buying new will give me 5years peace of mind (maybe). But nevertheless your advice is greatly appreciated & I will think on it carefully. Thank you notworthy.gif

On a side note, the Outlander 2.0 2018 has added on 360 camera & leather seats.
TSJackBot
post Jun 28 2018, 01:24 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(ze2 @ Jun 28 2018, 10:10 AM)
Safety is lacking with 2 airbags
Yes, another reason for me to rather opt for Outlander.
TSJackBot
post Jun 28 2018, 01:32 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(Deja Vu @ Jun 28 2018, 10:16 AM)

Santa Fe is really out of my budget and BRV are sold out till August in few places I've checked.
Effy92
post Jun 28 2018, 05:28 PM

Getting Started
294 posts

QUOTE(JackBot @ Jun 28 2018, 11:45 AM)
130k is my cut-off point. Anything more is above my affordability. Also worried a 2.4L engine would increase my fuel usage.
You can get relatively new pre owned diesel santa fe below 100k. Still have few more years warranty at least. Diesel santa fe or sorento good fuel consumption, drinks like normal d segment sedan.

This post has been edited by Effy92: Jun 28 2018, 05:38 PM
Vervain
post Jun 28 2018, 05:39 PM

Scathach
5,458 posts

QUOTE(JackBot @ Jun 28 2018, 01:21 PM)
Thank you sir for the very thorough explanation and advice, really appreciate it & made me realise (& scared) of my lack of knowledge in SUVs (I do watch Autobuzz & really like GC Mah way of 'presentation').

My new office & factory worksite (in few months time) has mainly asphalt road mixed with gravel roads. Some of my colleagues site are up & they have started working there. Most drive cars & we can park in non-flooding parking zone provided by company. The problem for me and few other colleagues that are in application/sales/management where we have to drive out to customer/supplier sites. When it rains, the road there gets water logged or flooded depending on how heavy the rain is. Some of my colleagues with X-trails and CX5 can still drive out or in but of course in mild flood (much less than 1 feet) otherwise wait out for water to recede.

I have no intention to drive through high flood or jungle areas. Just thought of buying a SUV as it would be more 'convenient' to drive on slightly water logged or gravel road. I thought a 4wd option with 7airbags will also be safer option when I'm driving in heavy rain on the highways especially with my family on board. Sorry, I'm kind of aversive to minivans/MPVs  sweat.gif  Buying 2nd hand also needs much more effort & time which I lack of & buying new will give me 5years peace of mind (maybe). But nevertheless your advice is greatly appreciated & I will think on it carefully. Thank you  notworthy.gif     

On a side note, the Outlander 2.0 2018 has added on 360 camera & leather seats.
yes.. the 4wd system did save me a couple of times during heavy rain and puddle.

Does your company provide company car?
ramboramsey
post Jun 28 2018, 05:50 PM

2 posts

just bought Outlander 2.0. I think for its price, worth every penny. now comes with complimentary 360 view and leather seat

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0192sec    0.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:34 PM