How do you start your workouts in gyms?

views

daimon
post Sep 17 2018, 06:48 PM

On my way
611 posts

QUOTE(Syracuse @ Jun 20 2018, 03:26 PM)
Hi all,

25 year old male here, aiming just to be slightly more active, and slightly less (skinny)fat. I've been working out at home with some basic bodyweight exercises (which I sometimes do half-heartedly).

I have recently been advised to start considering to go to gyms nearby. I don't really have a gym partner, so I'm quite hesitant to go to a commercial gym to use the equipment there. Having never been to a gym before, I don't even know what to expect, or what to do in a gym. Do you usually work out alone and ignore everyone else? Do you ask strangers for help as spotters? Do you give / take advice from other gym users?
How do you usually begin the gym session? Enter the gym door and head directly towards the treadmill / weights? Do you need to shower first or something? (I used to participate in competitive swimming before, and we must shower before entering pools) Where do you keep your belongings? What do you usually wear, and what do you usually carry with you? Towel? Phone / MP3? Water? Food? Cash?

How long so you spend in the gym? How long do you spend on each workout? Do you follow any workout regimen? What happens if someone is occupying the machine you wanted to use, or if you are using a machine someone is waiting for? Is there a "booking" or "reservation" system for gym equipment? When you decide you are done for the day, do you usually shower before you leave? How awkward is it to use the shower? (My experiences with showers in swimming pools are either very good, with private stalls for people to shower separately; or downright horrible with showerheads placed in open places where everything is in your direct line of sight, including the old "uncle" who is blow-drying his balls)

I'm a little anxious around strangers, so that makes me a lot more uncomfortable going to gyms, but I've been thinking I should attempt to overcome this. Sorry for the barrage of questions - I just have no idea how people usually go to gyms, and I think I should start getting myself familiarized with gyms now, and I hope I won't stick out like a sore thumb as a complete newbie in a gym when I finally go to a gym for the first time.
i kinda understand your feeling because i was unsure last time, until i was age 27 and my friends bought me to the gym in Uni for the 1st time.

What i can share it

1) If the gym has no locker, then you have to keep your belongings inside your bag, and you carry your bag everywhere just put besides the machine when you workout. If the gym has locker, good, just keep inside and lock it and bring the key/card with you.

2) first time to gym you are not familiar with the machines or workout, you might need to find a friends or friends who workout regularly and teach you or guide you. Otherwise, you can ask the trainer there or sign up a trainer? OR you can find workout on Youtube or www.bodybuilding.con

3) I don't ask for spotter (but if you want to, better ask those you think they are experienced)

4) Some people will walk/jog for 5 mins on threadmill for warm up or do some stretching first (Depends on the individual)

5) After gym you can shower or don't just up to you, but small gym usually don't shower.

6) first few times you will feel nervous especially you see those big / muscular guys. After quite some time, you will okay with it. Just fight over your mindset and nervous when you go to gym then you will overcome. I was like that too.

7) i don't usually shower before gym, i think some people does, as long as you are comfortable with it.

axtray
post Sep 28 2018, 04:27 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(rakyat @ Aug 27 2018, 09:37 AM)
I think cardio is over-rated. I burn as much calories lifting weights for 1 hour than running on the treadmill but end up with a more aesthetic physique.
I've just recently added varied intensity cardio after my weight training session and have never been happier with the result I'm seeing. Apart from improving the cardiovascular efficiency (I'm performing better in the weight room too), increasing the TDEE is always good for big eaters like myself. tongue.gif

Exodius
post Oct 20 2018, 08:18 PM

Getting Started
261 posts

QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Jun 20 2018, 03:33 PM)
I always start with strength training then end with cardio exercise.
This haha , but I’m too lazy for cardio these days
redjol
post Oct 24 2018, 08:46 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(PeterSi @ Aug 26 2018, 06:46 PM)
I start my workouts with some warm-up. Warm ups are a must for maximizing your results. I have set a schedule and regime for each body part. I mainly focus on my cardio. Cardio are the best exercises. They are good for your health and your overall stamina and endurance.
Im 2nd to this.. after years of weightlifting now im started to do cardio as well.. no point of body cantik and strong but cardio just like below average person.
The_Rock
post Nov 21 2018, 11:06 AM

Casual
447 posts

Get PT
Desmond_wch
post Dec 11 2018, 10:27 PM

On my way
526 posts

i normally start to run on treadmill first to warm up my whole body.
This also consider my cardio session before starting anything.

But sometime i change the routine from before doing the strength exercise, to after strength exercise.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0141sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:49 PM