Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Whats diff with expensive glasses vs cheaper ones?

views

feederking5
post Feb 2 2018, 07:01 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(beeMay @ Feb 2 2018, 05:37 PM)
Aah i see!

I just enquire to OWL and Whoosh..
For essilor whoosh sell so high, add RM500 and OWL only add RM299 🧐
299 i don think is essilor or hoya transition
TSbeeMay
post Feb 2 2018, 09:23 PM

Dr
647 posts

QUOTE(feederking5 @ Feb 2 2018, 07:01 PM)
299 i don think is essilor or hoya transition
299 is the top up price..the frame in whoosh are expensive, can reach 400
he said its hoya lens and its lifetime warranty

so turns out the cheap ones are local or taiwanese..cause whoosh also sell the cheaper version and top up 199 only but its taiwanese brand with 1yr warranty

feederking5
post Feb 2 2018, 09:52 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

hoya dont comes with lifetime warranty .
don ask for country lens , ask for the brand
TSbeeMay
post Feb 2 2018, 09:56 PM

Dr
647 posts

QUOTE(feederking5 @ Feb 2 2018, 09:52 PM)
hoya dont comes with lifetime warranty .
don ask for country lens , ask for the brand
haa? so that means its fake?

eerr the guy said its no brand
pgsiemkia
post Feb 4 2018, 08:58 PM

Casual
395 posts

@hunakoodoo mana? Our resident /k optician
miyakochan89
post Feb 5 2018, 12:15 PM

Wut?
6,615 posts

I just made one yesterday, gonna come in a week.
Not using HOYA though, but a cheaper brand by HOYA GROUP, something SSI or something.
TSbeeMay
post Feb 5 2018, 06:34 PM

Dr
647 posts

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Feb 5 2018, 12:15 PM)
I just made one yesterday, gonna come in a week.
Not using HOYA though, but a cheaper brand by HOYA GROUP, something SSI or something.
ooh please share how is it!

how much u bought ?
cannot tahan leh, my eyes hurts so much after the sunlight sad.gif
miyakochan89
post Feb 5 2018, 09:05 PM

Wut?
6,615 posts

QUOTE(beeMay @ Feb 5 2018, 06:34 PM)
ooh please share how is it!

how much u bought ?
cannot tahan leh, my eyes hurts so much after the sunlight sad.gif
Mine is multifocal so it's expensive and with the transition lenses, it's almost 1k without frames. Haha.
TSbeeMay
post Feb 5 2018, 10:18 PM

Dr
647 posts

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Feb 5 2018, 09:05 PM)
Mine is multifocal so it's expensive and with the transition lenses, it's almost 1k without frames. Haha.
Waahh thats really expensive!
I didnt know there are glasses that can reach 1k

Would it be cheaper if you get a lasik?
andrekua2
post Feb 5 2018, 10:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,488 posts

QUOTE(nanadeadbeat @ Feb 2 2018, 09:35 AM)
i will only buy Nikon or Carl Zeiss lens
Tried Zeiss. Still using because it cost a lot but coating and scratches like hell. Essilor and Zeiss really so so. I used to have a pair of Hoya before this and it was fucvking durable. Only turn yellowish. Wash with shampoo whatever no problem. Now they said heat cannot, can't simply use any soap, this and that but coating still gone.

Don't know if Hoya quality also drop or not.
miyakochan89
post Feb 5 2018, 10:39 PM

Wut?
6,615 posts

QUOTE(beeMay @ Feb 5 2018, 10:18 PM)
Waahh thats really expensive!
I didnt know there are glasses that can reach 1k

Would it be cheaper if you get a lasik?
My condition cannot take LASIK. Haha! And yes lenses get very expensive especially the branded ones, and when you have multifocal and shits like that the prices will go higher and higher.
Mrsaitama
post Feb 6 2018, 05:42 PM

Casual
352 posts

buy at hunakodo at lowyat better. Search at garage sale. Cheaper than outlets. Original too. Plan to make my new specs this year.
thefabvision
post Feb 10 2018, 01:20 AM

4 posts

QUOTE(beeMay @ Feb 1 2018, 11:22 PM)
Hello

just wondering if anyone has exp in this, whats the difference between expensive glasses like OWL or EGG (those boutique like you can find in malls like mid valley , suria klcc etc)

vs

those small shops in sungei wang

I enquired for my power which is less than 400, with changing color lenses, those in OWL can costs 400+ while in sungei wang same thing and costs only RM160

didnt plan to buy glasses, but seeing the price in sg wang i feel like buying. anyone has more knowledge in glasses? how come the diff can be 2x ? is cheaper ones fake? thankss
Hi BeeMay,

I would believe the main reason for such a huge difference in their price being the brand itself. While there's really just a handful of giant lens manufacturers like Essiolor, Zeiss, Nikon and so on that make up a significant chunk of the global market, there exists loads of smaller lens manufacturers especially in the eastern part of the world. Big, well established lens manufacturers like Zeiss can charge you a premium on their products much like (BUT NOT EXACTLY the same) how designer eyewear would always come with exorbitant price tags despite the small difference in quality between a branded frame with a non-branded one.

It is really worth-noting that the optics of ophthalmic lenses is, in reality, much more complex than it appears to be. There are loads of things to be taken into consideration when it comes manufacturing ophthalmic lenses to minimize the imperfections of a lens like aberration etc. Hence, I'd ague that the higher and more complex your prescription (a.k.a 'glasses power') is, the more money you need to fork out if you really want your lenses to be of better 'optical quality' (this is just partially true but correct enough in your case but let's just not delve too much into the optics just now). However, because your prescription is fairly low and not complex (I assume you do not have astigmatism or just a small amount of it), it won't make a world of difference even if the lenses are of better 'optical quality'.

NONTHELESS, everything I've said above really only applies if the difference in price between those lenses is due to the difference in 'index' (index is just a technical term we use to describe the thickness of a lens). Check if both lenses are of the same 'index' first. And then, check if both lenses have got similar coating (like anti-reflection coating/ photochromatic coating (reacts to UV light so the lens turns dark when exposed to sunlight)) and MATERIAL. Apart from anti-reflection and photochromatic coatings, I'd argue that other add-ons would be of benefit to you. But again, since I haven't tested your eyes and spoken to you abut your lifestyle, my suggestion may not be the best for you but it certainly can give you a bit of idea to help you make your decision.

Best thing to do, speak to a qualified dispensing optician because it's an optician's job to find out the best lens for you according to your prescription, lifestyle needs and so on. *An optometrist is a primary eye care provider who's trained to carry out comprehensive eye exams whereas an optician is trained to dispense visual aids like glasses.

I am an optometry student who blogs about optometry-related stuff
[COLOR=blue]

TSbeeMay
post Feb 11 2018, 11:50 AM

Dr
647 posts

QUOTE(thefabvision @ Feb 10 2018, 01:20 AM)
Hi BeeMay,

I would believe the main reason for such a huge difference in their price being the brand itself. While there's really just a handful of giant lens manufacturers like Essiolor, Zeiss, Nikon and so on that make up a significant chunk of the global market, there exists loads of smaller lens manufacturers especially in the eastern part of the world. Big, well established lens manufacturers like Zeiss can charge you a premium on their products much like (BUT NOT EXACTLY the same) how designer eyewear would always come with exorbitant price tags despite the small difference in quality between a branded frame with a non-branded one.

It is really worth-noting that the optics of ophthalmic lenses is, in reality, much more complex than it appears to be. There are loads of things to be taken into consideration when it comes manufacturing ophthalmic lenses to minimize the imperfections of a lens like aberration etc. Hence, I'd ague that the higher and more complex your prescription (a.k.a 'glasses power') is, the more money you need to fork out if you really want your lenses to be of better 'optical quality' (this is just partially true but correct enough in your case but let's just not delve too much into the optics just now). However, because your prescription is fairly low and not complex (I assume you do not have astigmatism or just a small amount of it), it won't make a world of difference even if the lenses are of better 'optical quality'.

NONTHELESS, everything I've said above really only applies if the difference in price between those lenses is due to the difference in 'index' (index is just a technical term we use to describe the thickness of a lens). Check if both lenses are of the same 'index' first. And then, check if both lenses have got similar coating (like anti-reflection coating/ photochromatic coating (reacts to UV light so the lens turns dark when exposed to sunlight)) and MATERIAL. Apart from anti-reflection and photochromatic coatings, I'd argue that other add-ons would be of benefit to you. But again, since I haven't tested your eyes and spoken to you abut your lifestyle, my suggestion may not be the best for you but it certainly can give you a bit of idea to help you make your decision.

Best thing to do, speak to a qualified dispensing optician because it's an optician's job to find out the best lens for you according to your prescription, lifestyle needs and so on. *An optometrist is a primary eye care provider who's trained to carry out comprehensive eye exams whereas an optician is trained to dispense visual aids like glasses.

I am an optometry student who blogs about optometry-related stuff
[COLOR=blue]
Hii thanks for the great explanation!
Yes,mine is just a simple one. The power beeded is just 100. I just need a transition lense cause when i go outside the sun really hurts and i do think thats a very powerful damage if we just let the exposure in

Hmm any way i can get an optometrist? Cause i been ro this optic called A Look and they just have salesman, ive never met an optometrist before and get my eyes thoroughly checked sad.gif

I still have not buy any glasses tho..waiting after cny and get some angpaos 😆

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0146sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:02 PM