Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

GAME ADDICTION

views

TSJorcy Gale
post Dec 27 2017, 03:16 AM, updated 7y ago

43 posts

Hello, I got a story to tell you guys about my game addiction. I'm turning 20 next year. I'm jobless and a college dropout. I spend way too much time on playing games, like Dota 2, MMO or any online games that has anything to do with socialize. I'm also an introvert which I don't really like to spend my time outside and making friends. I've lost a lot of friends recently due to staying home 24/7 and yeah, I'm at the stage where you depress and full of anxiety. I spend around 17 hours alone on computer, and another 7 hour on my bed. I'm getting skinnier each month and lost appetite all the time. Also I am a heavy smoker, a pack a day, usually U2 or any type of cheap cigarette. Yes! I'm lazy as hell, you could say. I'm never motivated to do something and no will to live. I'm afraid whats going to happen to me for next 5 years. I tried my best applying jobs online, like MauKerja, Jobstreet and etc. I never get a call or a chance for an interview. I always think that I'm so good at playing games until I kept or dreaming playing for esport, which is a very risky move honestly. Without a 2nd plan of career in my life. I might as well be homeless for next 5 year. I can't keep asking for my parents money and should start earning by myself. I'm anak haram for sure man, yikes. I would be grateful for some encouragement and advice on what should I do next, or steps in order for me to get back to my normal human life. I'm very jealous of my other siblings and friends earning their own money without help from their parents. icon_question.gif icon_question.gif

Hope you guys can understand well what i'm writing, especially the grammar. Sorry! rclxub.gif
starz92
post Dec 28 2017, 10:14 AM

Regular
1,679 posts

QUOTE(Jorcy Gale @ Dec 27 2017, 03:16 AM)
Hello, I got a story to tell you guys about my game addiction. I'm turning 20 next year. I'm jobless and a college dropout. I spend way too much time on playing games, like Dota 2, MMO or any online games that has anything to do with socialize. I'm also an introvert which I don't really like to spend my time outside and making friends. I've lost a lot of friends recently due to staying home 24/7 and yeah, I'm at the stage where you depress and full of anxiety. I spend around 17 hours alone on computer, and another 7 hour on my bed. I'm getting skinnier each month and lost appetite all the time. Also I am a heavy smoker, a pack a day, usually U2 or any type of cheap cigarette. Yes! I'm lazy as hell, you could say. I'm never motivated to do something and no will to live. I'm afraid whats going to happen to me for next 5 years. I tried my best applying jobs online, like MauKerja, Jobstreet and etc. I never get a call or a chance for an interview. I always think that I'm so good at playing games until I kept or dreaming playing for esport, which is a very risky move honestly. Without a 2nd plan of career in my life. I might as well be homeless for next 5 year. I can't keep asking for my parents money and should start earning by myself. I'm anak haram for sure man, yikes. I would be grateful for some encouragement and advice on what should I do next, or steps in order for me to get back to my normal human life. I'm very jealous of my other siblings and friends earning their own money without help from their parents.  icon_question.gif  icon_question.gif
Hope you guys can understand well what i'm writing, especially the grammar. Sorry!  rclxub.gif
Well you need to buck up and face the reality.

Firstly, it is good that you already know some of your weaknesses. Start by trying to reduce your cigarette intake. It is bad for your health,wallet and personal image. Being an introvert is not a weakness and being a gamer wasn't that bad as I personally felt that gamer definitely have a better intelligence compared to non gamer. Just that some of them applied their intelligence at the wrong part of the world. You just need to focus on what you want like you are playing a game but in real life. Level up, job advancement, accumulate wealth. Life is just like a big game where everyone choose their purpose. Like any MMORPG, some prefer to take down boss, some prefer to be a farmer,crafter,builder etc.

For future plan, you have to ask yourself what do you want to achieve in the future? However, before that, you need to get yourself out of the house / from your PC and start working. Don't hope for jobstreet etc as they are probably a lot of applicant and they are gonna need a better credential than a college dropout. My advice would be to find a job in a restaurant / shopping mall (walk in for face to face interview directly, there are plenty of vacation out there) and work there first. Once you have a job and stable income, you will get back some of your confidence. You can then plan on part time study / whatever your goal are in the future. It will come naturally after you set your goal and focus on it. Game friend can be a good adviser too. You can ask them for any guide/advice in life as most of the gamer now are working adults/bosses as well.

This post has been edited by starz92: Dec 28 2017, 10:15 AM
Red_rustyjelly
post Dec 28 2017, 10:18 AM

Enthusiast
846 posts

Hello, I got a story to tell you guys about my game addiction. I'm turning 20 next year. I'm jobless and a college dropout. I spend way too much time on playing games, like Dota 2, MMO or any online games that has anything to do with socialize. I'm also an introvert which I don't really like to spend my time outside and making friends. I've lost a lot of friends recently due to staying home 24/7 and yeah, I'm at the stage where you depress and full of anxiety. I spend around 17 hours alone on computer, and another 7 hour on my bed. I'm getting skinnier each month and lost appetite all the time. Also I am a heavy smoker, a pack a day, usually U2 or any type of cheap cigarette. Yes! I'm lazy as hell, you could say. I'm never motivated to do something and no will to live. I'm afraid whats going to happen to me for next 5 years. I tried my best applying jobs online, like MauKerja, Jobstreet and etc. I never get a call or a chance for an interview. I always think that I'm so good at playing games until I kept or dreaming playing for esport, which is a very risky move honestly. Without a 2nd plan of career in my life. I might as well be homeless for next 5 year. I can't keep asking for my parents money and should start earning by myself. I'm anak haram for sure man, yikes. I would be grateful for some encouragement and advice on what should I do next, or steps in order for me to get back to my normal human life. I'm very jealous of my other siblings and friends earning their own money without help from their parents.  icon_question.gif  icon_question.gif
Hope you guys can understand well what i'm writing, especially the grammar. Sorry!  rclxub.gif
i was like u, when world of warcraft took away 3 of my law subjects. yeap, i failed it. and it was 1250 AUD per subject.

i quit it at third year, and i realized that i wasted 1.5 year in aussie doing nth but staying in hostel and playing games when travel around while studying.
is just matter of the "moment" when you throw this habit away and realise it later.

ps: u already realise your bahavior now why dont u just put it away.
nickerlas
post Jan 13 2018, 06:29 PM

(:
931 posts

You don't need to stop playing games to work. The games are irrelevant. Just go get a job, or study, or smt productive.
xHj09
post Jan 14 2018, 03:24 PM

Your Friendly Neighborhood
1,392 posts

I was the exact same as you. Dropped out of college at 20, started smoking at 21, spent everyday at home playing game (work part time occasionally so I can feed my gf at that time), of course, she cannot tahan eventually coz I spent way too much time on gaming. I then realize I cannot spend the rest of my days like that, I went to restart college the following year because everyone around me already completed studies and I kinda felt the pressure when we hang out, they use their own money happily while I have to look at price since I'm spending parents' money. As usual, I got the ultimate excuse to continue my gaming addiction when I'm back to school. Skip ahead, barred and failed a few course, I eventually graduated albeit a diploma only.

Been working since then, pay is not that great at least I'm doing well now, I still think of gaming every now and then and play whenever I can, but the addiction is definitely gone.

Point is, we can't really help you. All we can do is tell you our experience and then only you can help yourself. I restarted my life very late and am now way behind in life while friends already bought house/car and I've only been working for a year. I still spend my salary buying games. Cutting down on those now.
Chrono-Trigger
post Jan 15 2018, 01:58 PM

PERPETUAL BEWILDERMENT
3,802 posts

there are hobbies that are way better than game.

I stopped playing dota 2 for about 1 year, and I have so much free time now that I spend cycling, swimming etc.

Never regretted decision to quit. It was a good few years to get together with friends. But eventually they all got tired of it.

The moment I quit was when I realized I gathered so much unwholesome state of mind by scolding people in dota (or get scolded by people).

I mean, if I wanna entertainment, I should feel ENTERTAINED and HAPPY. But dota 2, I got ANGRIER and not happy. So it's not worth it.

This post has been edited by Chrono-Trigger: Jan 15 2018, 02:00 PM
ghostcommand
post Jan 21 2018, 06:49 PM

On my way
660 posts

QUOTE(Chrono-Trigger @ Jan 15 2018, 01:58 PM)
there are hobbies that are way better than game.

I stopped playing dota 2 for about 1 year, and I have so much free time now that I spend cycling, swimming etc.

Never regretted decision to quit. It was a good few years to get together with friends. But eventually they all got tired of it.

The moment I quit was when I realized I gathered so much unwholesome state of mind by scolding people in dota (or get scolded by people).

I mean, if I wanna entertainment, I should feel ENTERTAINED and HAPPY. But dota 2, I got ANGRIER and not happy. So it's not worth it.
Me too. I quit dota 2 after I realized it was making me become very negative and addicted to the game (high 4k MMR pub scrub here). I neglected my responsibilities so I could maximize my play time. That game is fucking cancer if you just solo queue for ranked games.. which is what most people do.

Anyway, wanna ask, what do you do for entertainment now if not game?

Chrono-Trigger
post Jan 21 2018, 07:11 PM

PERPETUAL BEWILDERMENT
3,802 posts

QUOTE(ghostcommand @ Jan 21 2018, 06:49 PM)
Me too. I quit dota 2 after I realized it was making me become very negative and addicted to the game (high 4k MMR pub scrub here). I neglected my responsibilities so I could maximize my play time. That game is fucking cancer if you just solo queue for ranked games.. which is what most people do.

Anyway, wanna ask, what do you do for entertainment now if not game?
Got a ps4. Play it rarely but I like game that I can play at your own pace. I get other hobbies like swimming and cycling. Read books. Meditate. Watch movies. Miniseries. So much better than Dota.

saifulamir93
post Jun 16 2018, 11:13 PM

1 posts

I feel you. Hardcore ex-dota (ancient 4). 7k hours of dota since beta. 899 games on injoker alone. From foundation days to my first year working. You know what woke me up?

Losing. Like streaks of them. Sea of reds. Then i start menyampah with the community (do i have to explain?). Uninstalled that gaben outta my PC. Focus more to my wife and career (thank god i passed my degree on time). Now I just bought a car and now lurking at Persona owner thread.

TBH, i still miss the old carefree days. I occassionally watch funkefal tinker games and sumiya joker on youtube but... you just know when your time is up. I’m not as nimble when i was young, flexible to learn the games and energetic enough to keep track on drafting and metas. Plus, kau tgk kawan2 kau dh mula ada anak, houses, cars. And i’m lucky i am not that far behind.

You will get over it. It happened just like that for me. Your interest will shift to something else. Aku dh start tgk kereta and its related thread. Reading and investing in ASB. Looking for a new house. Better job opportunities. Ready for my first born. And still, dota is not a part of me that simply died and left behind, cuma kau akan rasa ‘meh’, when it comes to playing it all out when that time comes. To the point that, kau uninstall, kau dh malas nk install balik, and simply move on with your life.

Dont worry too much. That time. Will come. Your skill are not gonna be iron clad forever. The meta will outgrow you.

And you will outgrow dota like the rest of 400k players that have quit since beta.

This post has been edited by saifulamir93: Jun 16 2018, 11:15 PM
MatchaRed
post Jun 18 2018, 09:25 AM

19 posts

QUOTE(Jorcy Gale @ Dec 27 2017, 04:16 AM)
20 years old is still very young, try slowly quit smoking (you'll realise how much you'll be able to save), find a work, even if its a 1k salary work, its ok, save 200 each month, 800 for your use, or if you can save more even better.. don't like to work physically? since you spend so much time on computer, try to find computer related job?

don't worry, a lot of people who finished their degree aren't even working in their own specific field, slowly.. get out of playing games, i stopped playing dota a year ago, and recently got back and got divine rank, and it just kinda "meh", don't get me wrong, i still play games.. but sooner or later, games won't be as relevant for you, put it as a hobby.

find a way, get out, sit in the park look at the sky and start thinking of what may interest you, don't think about success that much, think what makes you happy, if you really want to go pro, you're still young, go for it, i am one for experimenting when you're young, as you get experience when you grow up, just remember.. if you start working, you start working forever. take advantage of youth, start juggling your hours, you have a lot now. you don't need to go school to be successful, sometimes just networking is good enough. be kind to everyone around you, who knows one of them might be your path to success.

or even better, find a way to get out of malaysia, and go outside and work for a year or two and learn about other culture, when you come back to malaysia you'll have a whole different perspective of how everything works. don't be worried or envious of people who are ahead of you in life, you're running your own race, not against them.
Overlord118
post Jun 26 2018, 05:13 PM

45 posts

I used to play alot of duto2 since I was 15. I now 4k mmr liao and now play casually only. I have to tell you dota really cursed game. I was so addicted and made me waste my years in school. To be honest personality like introvert extrovert bla2 can easily be influenced by your enviroment. I am an introvert but i feel like now i want to be socially active with frens and all those shit. I used to dream to reach in mmr leaderboard then some big company like fnatic will contact me rofl but obviously is impossible if no talent. Luckily, i realised this early and not dumb2 waste time wannabe esport athlete.

Playing dota really makes you toxic ingame and real life for me la. Made me lazy like fock and frowny face if lose mmr. Now play casually, i see all those tryhard people wanna go pro i just laugh and wish them the best cause probably only 5% gonna succeed. Then later u succeed compete against more talented people.

My advice is find a better hobby and stop slowly. For me is watching anime and going to the gym lel. But im pretty sure since you realised its a waste of time sure can easy stop. GL
Joshjosh25
post Sep 26 2018, 04:57 PM

0 posts

its not wrong to wanna play to play dota, and its not wrong to wanna join esports. its a big industry. Look at the really successful ones, sumail, midone, miracle etc. But lets be realistic, are u really as good as you think you are? if youre really good in it, go for it! why not? do something u enjoy doing in your career. If youre below 5k mmr, then maybe u should just reconsider. I myself am a keen D2 player. but i know clearly that this is just a hobby, it wont be my career. So i studied, graduated, now am working, but i still play every fucking night

bukechi
post Oct 19 2018, 10:43 AM

Casual
409 posts

my man... hope u choose what is good for u
game like everything else are entertainment

do what is right.. there are always time for something else

cool part is.. you have realize it earlier.. good for you
HiAwak
post Oct 29 2018, 12:31 PM

Getting Started
105 posts

Hey man, there are alot of profession that you could involve in esport, not just a gamer. For example, you can be a part of esport event organizer , a caster , or even esports coordinator (marshall) etc.. try to think out what really suits you before you got involve in the industry. all the best to your future career man.
korbin
post Oct 30 2018, 09:00 AM

Casual
435 posts

i m 37, married with kids yets i still spend 2 or 3 matches per night on weekday. weekend i will play until 2,3 am lol
spoorti1509
post Feb 5 2019, 04:20 PM

8 posts

I too was addicted to dota 9 year back and i still play dota but from 2 years i am playing dota only on WEEKENDS. You dont need to quit dota to concentrate on your work. you have to manage both just like i am doing
Rajey
post Feb 12 2019, 10:31 AM

Getting Started
80 posts

Any form of entertainment can be addictive. It's only bad when you let it control you. I know many people who work full time, still have time to game like nobody's business. It should make you happy and be your "escape". Just don't get lost in that escape.
CerebralPelsy
post Feb 12 2019, 07:35 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

Well i have a smart friend in Sarawak if not mistaken who plays in Regional Dota2 tournaments and perform well in his studies. U just gotta balance things out evenly. U can try to cut down on ur smoking and build back ur image first so that it ll guve a good impression to employers
SUSwhElectrical
post Feb 14 2019, 08:23 AM

Getting Started
135 posts

Ah... the ever familiar "forever failure" feeling. biggrin.gif

There is nothing to change yourself, except yourself.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0203sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:50 PM