Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

iPhone X Unboxing, A PhotoStory

views

TSterranova
post Nov 5 2017, 05:36 PM

Regular
1,161 posts

Day 2 and I'm really enjoying the new Portrait mode, particularly the "depth effect", or bokeh.

Attached Image Attached Image

Taken with the X last night.

QUOTE(soitsuagain @ Nov 4 2017, 04:59 PM)
Do you like it without the home button? IMO, the home button is really the thing that makes the iphone so amazingly intuitive. In a sense that I don't have to know anything about it to learn how to use it. Like how there is no app drawer on an iPhone vs android.
Being an iPhone user since the original iPhone back in 2007, it's kinda hard for me personally to adjust to its absence. However, I'm sure over the next few days/weeks, I'll re-adjust and get used to it.

QUOTE(attw @ Nov 4 2017, 07:47 PM)
Thanks for the mini review. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Face ID and the Animoji biggrin.gif
The animoji is pretty fun, especially if you do crazy things with it. The facial tracking is impressive.

QUOTE(Fjive @ Nov 4 2017, 08:07 PM)
Thanks for sharing, good to read review from actual owners.

I think apple is going backwards with the new way of closing background apps. Btw do share more on day to day battery life when you have use it for a few more days, interested to know.
Thanks.

I agree. The new way to kill background apps is cumbersome. Day 2 and battery life has been pretty good.

QUOTE(Wildcat @ Nov 4 2017, 09:01 PM)
“No longer as thumb friendly as previously, due to the larger screen. “

I thought it will be more thumb friendly due to the bezelless design. I mean it’s harder to hold ?
It's bigger to hold in your palm, and my thumb won't reach end to end, diagonally. In other words, my thumb can't reach the top right corner and bottom left corner in one single sweep.

attw
post Nov 5 2017, 08:21 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
32,264 posts

QUOTE(terranova @ Nov 5 2017, 05:36 PM)
The animoji is pretty fun, especially if you do crazy things with it. The facial tracking is impressive.
Yeah, I’m gonna blow RM5k to animate a poop smile.gif

#reallifegoals
Wildcat
post Nov 8 2017, 02:55 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Nov 4 2017, 12:21 PM)
Of course can be protector the real camera
I like this case. Is it slippery? I had a similar ipaky case before and it’s not grippy at all
Benefon
post Nov 8 2017, 03:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,727 posts

QUOTE(Wildcat @ Nov 8 2017, 02:55 PM)
I like this case. Is it slippery? I had a similar ipaky case before and it’s not grippy at all
Maybe if your hand too oily will be slippery.
For normal used should not be an issue
Wildcat
post Nov 8 2017, 03:15 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Nov 8 2017, 03:12 PM)
Maybe if your hand too oily will be slippery.
For normal used should not be an issue
My concern was rather like in the air cond cool env where’s our hands have no moisture’s then the case might be slippery. At least that’s my case for my previous type of ipaky case.

Benefon
post Nov 8 2017, 03:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,727 posts

QUOTE(Wildcat @ Nov 8 2017, 03:15 PM)
My concern was rather like in the air cond cool env where’s our hands have no moisture’s then the case might be slippery. At least that’s my case for my previous type of ipaky case.
Like that you must look on Spigen case will help a lot
Davidtcf
post Nov 8 2017, 04:00 PM

To the moon!!
3,440 posts

removing the force touch home button is just dumb. at least put an iOS home button at the screen that is always there (similar to Android at the software layer not hardware)

Apple had already perfected it. they should just stick with it till the screen able to detect fingerprint! (Apple admit they failed in this so yea not sure when will be possible)

This post has been edited by Davidtcf: Nov 8 2017, 04:01 PM
TSterranova
post Nov 8 2017, 10:34 PM

Regular
1,161 posts

Day 5 experience. So far, Face ID has worked reasonably well. It's failed me a couple of times, in which case it prompts you to enter your passcode. I may try to reset my Face ID to see if that improves it. But all in all, it's been good. It works in total darkness, it works from a distance, and it works from reasonable angles/tilts.

Something I found interesting - notifications from WhatsApp or other apps appears on your lock screen, but doesn't show details or previews the message until your x is unlocked - which means there's a nice transition that looks like this ...

I also learnt something new, quite by accident actually. to kill apps running in the background, you can actually swipe up on the app you want to kill (just like the old way) instead of tapping the red "minus" sign on the top left of the app you want to kill.

QUOTE(attw @ Nov 5 2017, 08:21 PM)
Yeah, I’m gonna blow RM5k to animate a poop smile.gif

#reallifegoals
hahaha. thumbup.gif

the novelty wears thin pretty quickly. lol.

This post has been edited by terranova: Nov 8 2017, 10:39 PM
attw
post Nov 9 2017, 07:54 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
32,264 posts

QUOTE(terranova @ Nov 8 2017, 10:34 PM)
Day 5 experience. So far, Face ID has worked reasonably well. It's failed me a couple of times, in which case it prompts you to enter your passcode. I may try to reset my Face ID to see if that improves it. But all in all, it's been good. It works in total darkness, it works from a distance, and it works from reasonable angles/tilts.

Something I found interesting - notifications from WhatsApp or other apps appears on your lock screen, but doesn't show details or previews the message until your x is unlocked - which means there's a nice transition that looks like this ...

I also learnt something new, quite by accident actually. to kill apps running in the background, you can actually swipe up on the app you want to kill (just like the old way) instead of tapping the red "minus" sign on the top left of the app you want to kill.
hahaha.  thumbup.gif

the novelty wears thin pretty quickly. lol.
Have you gotten used to the UI, new gestures and lack of Home Button yet? I read online that some early adopters are still struggling.

The WhatsApp notifications look good - increased privacy smile.gif
phyckeryz
post Nov 9 2017, 11:57 AM

Getting Started
69 posts

why the camera not inside case like iphone se.. need used case to make flat.
OKLY
post Nov 9 2017, 01:04 PM

The Penguin Vader
Group Icon
Staff
11,946 posts

QUOTE(Wildcat @ Nov 4 2017, 09:01 PM)
“No longer as thumb friendly as previously, due to the larger screen. “

I thought it will be more thumb friendly due to the bezelless design. I mean it’s harder to hold ?
I believe the previously is talking about the non-Plus models where one-handed operation is easy. Now it's slightly more difficult but still easier than Plus models. Have to make use of the Reachability feature in accessibility.
sai86
post Nov 9 2017, 02:10 PM

StilL LearninG
4,928 posts

QUOTE(phyckeryz @ Nov 9 2017, 11:57 AM)
because phone camera tech is at its limit. to get that bigger F, the lens need to be bigger/hump.
until a new phone camera tech out, we are kinda stuck with it at this moment.

no worries la, most cases is designed to protect the camera hump.
lg v30 successfully make it flat, but the camera quality is no where near the competitor. (just a slight hump)

we need tech advancement on battery seriously, from camera to phone - etc.
TSterranova
post Nov 9 2017, 10:51 PM

Regular
1,161 posts

Day 6. Started playing with the wireless charging. Works as advertised, even when encased with a silicon case.

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Allows for fast charging option, with appropriate charger.

QUOTE(attw @ Nov 9 2017, 07:54 AM)
Have you gotten used to the UI, new gestures and lack of Home Button yet? I read online that some early adopters are still struggling.

The WhatsApp notifications look good - increased privacy smile.gif
I've gotten used to it now, and finding it comfortable to use. The only thing is that I'm also using an iPhone 8 at the same time, so shuttling between the two devices confuses me sometimes. lol.

QUOTE(phyckeryz @ Nov 9 2017, 11:57 AM)
yes, unfortunately it's a camera hardware vs form factor limitation.

as others have mentioned here, all iPhone X casing takes care of this. this is my casing ....

QUOTE(OKLY @ Nov 9 2017, 01:04 PM)
I believe the previously is talking about the non-Plus models where one-handed operation is easy. Now it's slightly more difficult but still easier than Plus models. Have to make use of the Reachability feature in accessibility.
yes, that's what I meant. I was comparing my previous non-plus iPhone 7/8 vs X. thanks for clarifying. appreciate it.

This post has been edited by terranova: Nov 9 2017, 10:52 PM
ZenXL
post Nov 10 2017, 02:26 AM

Oh shi-
704 posts

QUOTE(terranova @ Nov 9 2017, 10:51 PM)
yes, unfortunately it's a camera hardware vs form factor limitation.

as others have mentioned here, all iPhone X casing takes care of this. this is my casing ....

Where did you get the casing from?
attw
post Nov 10 2017, 06:16 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
32,264 posts

I've gotten used to it now, and finding it comfortable to use. The only thing is that I'm also using an iPhone 8 at the same time, so shuttling between the two devices confuses me sometimes. lol
So which then do you prefer, the 8 or the X? smile.gif
phyckeryz
post Nov 10 2017, 12:23 PM

Getting Started
69 posts

which one more worth to buy either ip8 or ipX? or ip7 is already enough?
realitec
post Nov 10 2017, 12:28 PM

Emiko for life~
2,933 posts

QUOTE(phyckeryz @ Nov 10 2017, 12:23 PM)
which one more worth to buy either ip8 or ipX? or ip7 is already enough?
Its depends on your budget. Of course ipX is the best smartphone among Apple's product. ip8+ is still good as it has the same brain as ipX. So it will work on everything what X can do. For me, I am going to purchase for iphone 8+ after tonight if there is good offer from 11.11 event.
TSterranova
post Nov 10 2017, 09:37 PM

Regular
1,161 posts

QUOTE(ZenXL @ Nov 10 2017, 02:26 AM)
Where did you get the casing from?
from a shop in Hong Kong. cost me HK$60.

this is the casing I bought:
https://www.lelong.com.my/iphone-x-baseus-a...7-01-Sale-I.htm

(disclaimer: I've no affiliation to the link)

QUOTE(attw @ Nov 10 2017, 06:16 AM)
So which then do you prefer, the 8 or the X? smile.gif
hahaha. undeniably, the X. but you already knew that.
ZenXL
post Nov 11 2017, 12:12 AM

Oh shi-
704 posts

QUOTE(terranova @ Nov 10 2017, 09:37 PM)
from a shop in Hong Kong. cost me HK$60.

this is the casing I bought:
https://www.lelong.com.my/iphone-x-baseus-a...7-01-Sale-I.htm

(disclaimer: I've no affiliation to the link)

does the casing have the bubble effect at the back as well?
buffa
post Nov 11 2017, 12:02 PM

Casual
337 posts

Day 6. Started playing with the wireless charging. Works as advertised, even when encased with a silicon case.

Allows for fast charging option, with appropriate charger.
Woh, that wireless charger looks really nice. May I know the brand and price? notworthy.gif

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0316sec    0.32    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:22 AM