Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Why are you further study Master/PHD?, Future plan

views

TSengrfeez
post May 7 2017, 12:54 PM, updated 7y ago

Ironman
316 posts

Hi All,

Please tell me what is your push factor to pursue study at the higher level?

To be frank, I am dilemma to further study or continue with the current job career. I have Master in Engineering when I was doing it part time in 5 years back. I also working with engineering environment more than 10 years already.

Recently, some of my friends told me that better to further study till PHD and complete the education cycle, however looking at our education system and management I don't feel it is a good choice to further. The numbers of jobless and fresh graduate are keep increasing. The salary either Bsc, Msc or PHD are not compatible with the current life where all the price are hikes and sooner will be more high.

Basically what is drive you to study on the higher level?

1) Because to secure the job career
2) Salary factor
3) Satisfaction
4) Migrate to other country
5) or it is own dream to teach people or passion in endless learning curve.

As i know everyone have own dream and desire, so would you like to share your thoughts or opinion.

Thanks

This post has been edited by engrfeez: May 7 2017, 12:58 PM
Subang Nuclear Reactor
post May 7 2017, 10:38 PM

Getting Started
165 posts

How about all of them. I was like you, graduated with a master of engineering. Right after i completed the master, everyone around me is telling me to progress into PhD. But at that time, i was really curious about job life, i ended up ignore all of them, even had an argument with my parents, i found a job, and i worked for a year

Now that i realised, working in Malaysia isn't really what i want (even though i'm transferred to Australia later), and master will not get me any further than a bachelor. I dont want an endless and repetitive life working on something i have no passion in a consultant firm. I decided to quit my job on 30th April. Now i am on a holiday, and preparing myself for the PhD, working or researching on a title/ topic that i liked.

So.. yeah. Basically everything you wrote, self-satisfaction, job-prospects, easy PR, family pressure.

This post has been edited by Subang Nuclear Reactor: May 7 2017, 10:39 PM
TSengrfeez
post May 8 2017, 11:46 AM

Ironman
316 posts

QUOTE(Subang Nuclear Reactor @ May 7 2017, 10:38 PM)
How about all of them. I was like you, graduated with a master of engineering. Right after i completed the master, everyone around me is telling me to progress into PhD. But at that time, i was really curious about job life, i ended up ignore all of them, even had an argument with my parents, i found a job, and i worked for a year

Now that i realised, working in Malaysia isn't really what i want (even though i'm transferred to Australia later), and master will not get me any further than a bachelor. I dont want an endless and repetitive life working on something i have no passion in a consultant firm. I decided to quit my job on 30th April. Now i am on a holiday, and preparing myself for the PhD, working or researching on a title/ topic that i liked.

So.. yeah. Basically everything you wrote, self-satisfaction, job-prospects, easy PR, family pressure.
Thanks bro for the sharing, good to hear that finally u pursue your higher level education. Good luck and all the best
less1234
post May 9 2017, 09:33 AM

25 posts

QUOTE(engrfeez @ May 7 2017, 12:54 PM)
Hi All,

To be frank, I am dilemma to further study or continue with the current job career.  I have Master in Engineering when I was doing it part time in  5 years back. I also working with engineering environment more than 10 years already.

Recently, some of my friends told me that better to further study till PHD and complete the education cycle, however looking at our education system and management I don't feel it is a good choice to further. The numbers of jobless and fresh graduate are keep increasing. The salary either Bsc, Msc or PHD are not compatible with the current life where all the price are hikes and sooner will be more high.

2) Salary factor
3) Satisfaction

As i know everyone have own dream and desire, so would you like to share your thoughts or opinion.

Thanks
Your friends are correct in the sense that a M.ENG does not make you more attractive than a B.ENG in the context of Malaysia industry.

1) Overall I think when you are going for PhD, you opening the option for academia. If you have 10 years job experience and a PhD, I think many universities would want to hire you. Even better if you are an IR already
2) Quote from a lecturer that I know : "Getting a PhD will not make you rich"
3) Being a lecturer provided me with flexi hour and alot of time for myself and family. Some people may opt for more work to improve career prospect and publications. At the end of the day, it depends on what you want.
4) Not really, my parents and family always come first
5) I m a mentor in heart. =)
[PF] T.J.
post May 9 2017, 11:55 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Elite
24,191 posts

QUOTE(engrfeez @ May 7 2017, 12:54 PM)
Hi All,

To be frank, I am dilemma to further study or continue with the current job career.  I have Master in Engineering when I was doing it part time in  5 years back. I also working with engineering environment more than 10 years already.

2) Salary factor
3) Satisfaction

Thanks
I did my phD in Biotechnology laugh.gif Sometimes I also wonder why I opted to further my studies, but to me its definitely worth it laugh.gif
1. As mentioned by less1234, doing a phD will likely and eventually land you a job in academia. No doubt competition is getting stiff nowadays but its not really difficult if you have a good resume and (more importantly) good connections.

2. I admit salary was an important factor for me when I decided to pursue my phD. The pay is considered as above average but if you are really into money, doing business is a much better option.

3. Not everyone is capable of getting a phD, so being able to obtain the "Dr." title would mean alot to some. I myself never think much of the title; the experiences gained during the period were way, way more important.

4. I think that Malaysia is a good place to be in since the bright and brilliant has already left the country laugh.gif Its so easy to shine here laugh.gif Plus I will miss Nasi Lemak and Teh Ice if I ever leave haha

5. I'm very interested in research but as a lecturer I find very little time to do research, which is a shame (not sure how I'm going to fulfill my grants lol). Although I enjoy teaching I think its quite sad that not many appreciate what they're being taught sweat.gif

I am always learning and I hope some day I will be able to commercialize my research, and hopefully learn a bit more about the business side of things, rather than always looking at Science laugh.gif

TSengrfeez
post May 10 2017, 08:33 AM

Ironman
316 posts

QUOTE(less1234 @ May 9 2017, 09:33 AM)
Your friends are correct in the sense that a M.ENG does not make you more attractive than a B.ENG in the context of Malaysia industry.

1) Overall I think when you are going for PhD, you opening the option for academia. If you have 10 years job experience and a PhD, I think many universities would want to hire you. Even better if you are an IR already
2) Quote from a lecturer that I know : "Getting a PhD will not make you rich"
3) Being a lecturer provided me with flexi hour and alot of time for myself and family. Some people may opt for more work to improve career prospect and publications. At the end of the day, it depends on what you want.
4) Not really, my parents and family always come first
5) I m a mentor in heart. =)
Thanks less1234 for sharing some inputs, indeed end of the day it is depends on what we want not what others want.

TSengrfeez
post May 10 2017, 08:42 AM

Ironman
316 posts

QUOTE(PF T.J. @ May 9 2017, 11:55 PM)
I did my phD in Biotechnology  laugh.gif Sometimes I also wonder why I opted to further my studies, but to me its definitely worth it laugh.gif
1. As mentioned by less1234, doing a phD will likely and eventually land you a job in academia. No doubt competition is getting stiff nowadays but its not really difficult if you have a good resume and (more importantly) good connections.

2. I admit salary was an important factor for me when I decided to pursue my phD. The pay is considered as above average but if you are really into money, doing business is a much better option.

3. Not everyone is capable of getting a phD, so being able to obtain the "Dr." title would mean alot to some. I myself never think much of the title; the experiences gained during the period were way, way more important.

4. I think that Malaysia is a good place to be in since the bright and brilliant has already left the country laugh.gif Its so easy to shine here  laugh.gif Plus I will miss Nasi Lemak and Teh Ice if I ever leave haha

5. I'm very interested in research but as a lecturer I find very little time to do research, which is a shame (not sure how I'm going to fulfill my grants lol). Although I enjoy teaching I think its quite sad that not many appreciate what they're being taught  sweat.gif

I am always learning and I hope some day I will be able to commercialize my research, and hopefully learn a bit more about the business side of things, rather than always looking at Science  laugh.gif
1. Good to hear PF T.J. Surprising academia also need connection. I thought the more intelligent the more you will selected. tongue.gif

2. Above average sound good and acceptable as well

I think we need more people like you those who sincerely teaching rather than thinking about the accreditation or credit. But again being in academia must be a though as the community are always have perception on the intelligence course.
[PF] T.J.
post May 10 2017, 08:26 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Elite
24,191 posts

QUOTE(engrfeez @ May 10 2017, 08:42 AM)
1. Good to hear PF T.J. Surprising academia also need connection. I thought the more intelligent the more you will selected.   tongue.gif

2. Above average sound good and acceptable as well

I think we need more people like you those who sincerely teaching rather than thinking about the accreditation or credit. But again being in academia must be a though as the community are always have perception on the intelligence course.
I'm afraid connection has a lot to do with everything. Even publications are so much easier when people know you in your field laugh.gif Initially I wanted to "prove myself" and achieve my goals "on my own" and it turned out to be quite a disaster laugh.gif As for the "more intelligent the more you will be selected" part, it only applies if you are a genius haha laugh.gif

Yeah, you are right, academicians (especially primary/secondary school teachers) are often misunderstood by the general mass, which is sadly the result when people put dollars and cents as a priority in life hmm.gif

This post has been edited by [PF] T.J.: May 10 2017, 08:26 PM
less1234
post May 11 2017, 09:03 AM

25 posts

QUOTE(PF T.J. @ May 9 2017, 11:55 PM)
I did my phD in Biotechnology  laugh.gif Sometimes I also wonder why I opted to further my studies, but to me its definitely worth it laugh.gif

4. I think that Malaysia is a good place to be in since the bright and brilliant has already left the country laugh.gif Its so easy to shine here  laugh.gif Plus I will miss Nasi Lemak and Teh Ice if I ever leave haha

5. I'm very interested in research but as a lecturer I find very little time to do research, which is a shame (not sure how I'm going to fulfill my grants lol). Although I enjoy teaching I think its quite sad that not many appreciate what they're being taught  sweat.gif

I am always learning and I hope some day I will be able to commercialize my research, and hopefully learn a bit more about the business side of things, rather than always looking at Science  laugh.gif
Yea, totally agree on the connection part. Academia has their own version of politics also and it is one of the more toxic version of politic.

Lookup Sayre's law. Saw too many academician cared too much about the perceptions of others and finally self imploded.

As for teaching, I can say you can only teach those that are interested and embraced the concept of an empty cup as there is no point in filling a full cup.

cdspins
post May 11 2017, 09:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

This is just my opinion:
If you are a fresh graduate a master or PHD degree not necessary secure a job.... nowadays, not much job require a master or phd with 0 working experience.
For the case of those having working experience, Master or Phd also isn't what employer is looking... it is more of the experience and project you handled before

2) Salary factor
A master degree or PHD will have a higher paid certainly... but 3 years and 5 years to get them... it is almost equivalent to the increment of start working after bachelor degree

3) Satisfaction
YES, I think this is the main reason, to realize own dreams

Again, experience play a bigger part... unless one migrate directly after getting his mater or PHD... but in order to migrate one needs to land a job first... right?

This is some what similar to 3) where it is one's passion to teach or to learn. Satisfaction gain from fulfilling one's passion

Blofeld
post May 11 2017, 10:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

From the industry, I switched to academia many years ago.

So, the best way to climb up in academia is by having a PhD. I can say the pay rise is quite sizeable between those with and without a PhD.

Besides that, I also have an interest on doing a research in organisational behaviour.

The Dr title is not my major concern at all. For me, it is not even a reason to do it.

To sum up, my reasons are career development, salary factor, and interest.
TSengrfeez
post May 11 2017, 11:35 AM

Ironman
316 posts

QUOTE(PF T.J. @ May 10 2017, 08:26 PM)
I'm afraid connection has a lot to do with everything. Even publications are so much easier when people know you in your field laugh.gif Initially I wanted to "prove myself" and achieve my goals "on my own" and it turned out to be quite a disaster laugh.gif As for the "more intelligent the more you will be selected" part, it only applies if you are a genius haha laugh.gif

Yeah, you are right, academicians (especially primary/secondary school teachers) are often misunderstood by the general mass, which is sadly the result when people put dollars and cents as a priority in life  hmm.gif
Connection and competent are always long debate issue. I do agree if connection can be use once the competent person had been verified. But I couldn't agree if the connection is use more than competencies. I was in working industry where I can see clearly the two chapter between connection and competencies.

Dollar and cent is like a 'King' nowadays. Regardless how good and intelligent you are if don't have money consider stupid as well. How cruel and unbalance the world we are living now? bangwall.gif bangwall.gif
TSengrfeez
post May 11 2017, 11:51 AM

Ironman
316 posts

QUOTE(Blofeld @ May 11 2017, 10:57 AM)
From the industry, I switched to academia many years ago.

So, the best way to climb up in academia is by having a PhD. I can say the pay rise is quite sizeable between those with and without a PhD.

Besides that, I also have an interest on doing a research in organisational behaviour.

The Dr title is not my major concern at all. For me, it is not even a reason to do it.

To sum up, my reasons are career development, salary factor, and interest.
I still in doubt to switch my careers. The only concern I have to re-consider is my own time

As child has being grow up, I need to spent more time looks up for their development of study and behavior. I am not sure being an academia have independent time or same as my current industry working hours 7am-7pm and also I need to travel and stay long at certain state depending the nature of the project.

Blofeld
post May 11 2017, 12:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

QUOTE(engrfeez @ May 11 2017, 11:51 AM)
I still in doubt to switch my careers. The only concern I have to re-consider is my own time

As child has being grow up, I need to spent more time looks up for their development of study and behavior. I am not sure being an academia have independent time or same as my current industry working hours 7am-7pm and also I need to travel and stay long at certain state depending the nature of the project.
When i was in the industry early in my career, I don't have the passion at all. I felt dreaded going to work. Working hours could extend to after midnight as well as Saturdays and Sundays. I don't see the point of doing all those work.

But in the academia, it doesn't mean less work. U still need to read, write, carry out research, prepare notes and slides, prepare exam questions, mark papers, etc. All those work could eat up your time past midnight including Saturdays and Sundays. But the difference is that I like the work involved.
SUSprincesshigh
post Jul 19 2017, 10:44 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

If you asked me, my answer would be because I'm a curious person. I love to discover new things especially for subject I'm interested in. The answer is cliche but it's the truth. Before you further the study in PhD/ Master (Research), ask yourself whether you are motivated and interested enough to do so. You should also love to read new materials and write a lot. If you don't like writing/ reading critically, your PhD journey will suck big time.
ZZR-Pilot
post Jan 30 2018, 12:51 PM

Regular
1,049 posts

I got my undergrad degree in 1996. Been working ever since in the area of my training.

Never cared about furthering my studies after that, despite my dad's constant nagging to get me to do my master's degree. I was too busy enjoying my life, traveling everywhere overseas for salsa throughout my 30s to give a shit.

When I hit the mid 40s, I started to look at myself in the mirror. I got married to this wonderful Teochew girl who got her PhD at age 34. My dad got his PhD at age 43. Me? Age 43 and found myself unable to break thru the glass ceiling at work unless I found a different way to get around it.

So...20 years after graduating with my bachelor's degree, I went back to school to start my master's.

Now I'm thinking whether or not to consider continuing to PhD... I'll be almost 50 by the time I finish. My line of work actually doesn't give a shit abt graduate degrees.. but at least I'll be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with my dad & my wife...

Is it stupid to attempt postgraduate purely for the satisfaction of it?
kimio77
post Jun 12 2018, 03:00 AM

Getting Started
172 posts

need opinion here..currently now im felt in delima, i wanted to cont master but i got option which one better for long term my career,

1. master at UTM (MJIT) course in management of technology innovation
2.master at UM course in project management.

anyone can share their thought or opinion ?

already working in IT comp around 5 years working experience..

tq
Lady Irrawaddy
post Jun 14 2018, 07:11 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

QUOTE(kimio77 @ Jun 12 2018, 03:00 AM)
need opinion here..currently now im felt in delima, i wanted to cont master but i got option which one better for long term my career,

tq
UM ranking is the highest in Malaysia.
I would choose UM.

Both programme are tough, so I would choose UM.
rara_ana
post Jul 1 2018, 05:01 PM

Getting Started
102 posts

QUOTE(kimio77 @ Jun 12 2018, 03:00 AM)

tq
I will vote for MJIT, u will get Japanese syllabus and study trip to Japan, and once u grad, all the Japanese company will want to hired MJIT student because u also need to learn a bit Japanese for graduation

This post has been edited by rara_ana: Jul 1 2018, 05:02 PM
kimio77
post Jul 2 2018, 07:24 PM

Getting Started
172 posts

QUOTE(rara_ana @ Jul 1 2018, 05:01 PM)
I will vote for MJIT, u will get Japanese syllabus and study trip to Japan, and once u grad, all the Japanese company will want to hired MJIT student because u also need to learn a bit Japanese for graduation
i see..do u also graduate from MJIT? master? tq rara

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0189sec    0.10    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:35 AM