Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Labour Charges to Change Engine Oil

views

TSThrust
post Mar 26 2017, 10:43 AM, updated 2y ago

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

I went to a car workshop yesterday & they charged me RM21 labour charge just to replace engine oil. 6 months ago, it was RM15.

What is the average labour cost from other workshop to replace engine oil?

Guess the next round, I will change the engine oil myself.
TSThrust
post Mar 26 2017, 10:52 AM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(voscar @ Mar 26 2017, 10:49 AM)
Same, 20 bucks plus extra gst which I just changed last week, pure engine oil replacement without oil filter (car still under warranty I don't want to temper unnecessary)
Wow! so I guess that's the standard pricing these days. It's freaking expensive considering it use to cost RM8 to RM10 few years back.
TSThrust
post Mar 26 2017, 12:31 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(Effy92 @ Mar 26 2017, 12:30 PM)
At my kampung workshop last year 15, yesterday i go change 20 already.
15 years back, it used to cost only RM8 at my mechanic bawah pokok.
TSThrust
post Mar 26 2017, 09:07 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(flowerhorn08 @ Mar 26 2017, 08:34 PM)
Wow... inflation really creeps in .. I still remember, "back in the old days", my mechanic only charge RM5 for labour.

However, due to the nature of myself (DIY) and waiting time while he change the engine oil, I prefer to do it myself.

user posted image
With the help of the oil filter wrench (which I bought more than 10 years ago at RM15), I unscrew the old oil filter and rescrew the new oil filter while standing at the side of my old faithfully Sunny. rclxms.gif
Where do you dispose your used engine oil?
TSThrust
post May 11 2017, 04:30 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(~mingwei~ @ May 11 2017, 03:31 PM)
I kena RM30 yesterday for eo and eo filter in Puchong workshop.. kinda expensive! No more next visit..
Wow! RM30 labour charges is really expensive for a workshop.
TSThrust
post May 11 2017, 08:26 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ May 11 2017, 07:41 PM)
does the mechanic use vacuum suction to draw the oil out via the dipstick..
or he just jack up the car and unscrew the plug?

if just unscrew the drain plug then labour cost damn expensive liao.
To me, drain plug method works best. I don't fancy the vacuum suction method as there may be residue oil left in the pan if the suction line isn't place correctly at the right spot.
TSThrust
post May 14 2017, 10:49 AM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(kidmad @ May 14 2017, 10:40 AM)
u FAG... even if it's RM25 give them la... some shops are still charging rm10 though... sometimes i really kecian them.. They gaji ceput some barely reach rm1k.. some it's only rm900..

there is a few things which i think it deserves to be paid better.
fill tyre hole - rm5
oil change - rm10
allignment - rm15
balancing - rm10
Even if the workshop drastically increase the workmanship cost, their mechanics will still be paid 'gaji ceput' as most mechanics are paid fixed salary. The workshop I went uses foreigners to do the job but they are quite good at what they are do.

It is very obvious the boss wanted to make more money by just increasing the price.

You are enriching the boss, not the poor workers.

This post has been edited by Thrust: May 14 2017, 10:52 AM
TSThrust
post May 14 2017, 11:03 AM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(kidmad @ May 14 2017, 10:55 AM)
at least you have to start giving extra before the boss can do anything. Well not really also.. Tayaria in Setia Alam.. they pay their worker somewhere around rm1.5k and the boss is nice.. price are slightly higher.. but i'm okay with it still affordable..

in between batu tiga.. there's petronas and petron there is a malay dude who does service.. still rm10.
can't recall seksyen 25/22 near the aeon big in shah alam.. there's this small corner lot tyre shop still doing allignment rm15 and balancing rm10.. change the nut for chamber rm45 each side.

prices are done end of last year geh.
In my opinion, oil changes should be price at around RM15 as it is really a simple & fast job. Other task which involve parts that are difficult to replace, I don't mind paying extra because I know the effort required to get it done.

TSThrust
post Nov 13 2017, 02:18 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(rupart @ Nov 13 2017, 11:27 AM)
the prob is how to discard used engine oil if you diy..dont tell in the drain...go green
Just send the used oil to workshop. They will be glad to take them in.
TSThrust
post Jun 15 2018, 10:23 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(baocord @ Jun 15 2018, 10:00 PM)
I bring my eo, filter, gearbox oil , plug and coolant. The shop charge me RM 80, do you all think is expensive?
I change it at Seri kembangan
RM80 for labour i guess is reasonable since u are replacing so many items.
TSThrust
post Sep 2 2018, 05:37 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(filage @ Sep 2 2018, 02:05 PM)
Rm25 for oil change, self eo and filter.
yet did a shoddy job.
oil dripping from oil pan nut.
oil overfilled 0.5cm above Max line.
nut overtightened.
I should be able to return back and request a free repair of the nut right? probably the seal was not refitted properly.
I manage to find a mechanic at Cheras that charges rm20 for oil change job. I guess that is the standard price nowadays. Cheaper if its 'kedai bawah pokok'.
TSThrust
post Dec 7 2018, 02:10 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(sitescope @ Dec 7 2018, 10:41 AM)
I also can chg my eo for car n bike but the prob is where to buang the old eo ?
Bring it to a workshop and they will take it for free. Workshop can sell used oil in barrels to recycling oil company
TSThrust
post Oct 5 2019, 11:19 AM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Oct 5 2019, 10:29 AM)
Shell USJ 6 - Workshop
Jalan USJ 6-2j Lot PT 7004, 47600 Subang Jaya

[attachmentid=10326979]

[attachmentid=10326981]

Dont ever go to this Shell workshop ever, for Subang people.
The tauke boss (Chinese) has arrogance as high as Mount Kinabalu.

Just to change engine oil and oil filter (bring own oil and filter), bloody charge me RM 25
When I demand explanation on why the fark he charge RM 25 , he just say "Price increase" . Fark you.

I goto USJ 19, its only RM 15. No questions asked.
- Kian Hoe Tyre & Battery Services Sdn Bhd, No. 1, Jalan USJ 19/4, Taman Perindustrian Uep, 47630 Subang Jaya, Selangor
This one charges reasonable and has alot of commercial vehicles always.

I should had gone there but I decided to go try this shell workshop for a change.
First and last time. Sila meninggal je lah..
Actually RM25 is quite common labour charges for these kind of workshop. It varies from RM25 to RM35.

The cheapest I found is RM20, a partial rented workshop ran by an uncle.
TSThrust
post Oct 5 2019, 09:53 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Oct 5 2019, 03:09 PM)
Sorry if i were to scream out loud . Because i felt it was just a simple job of draining (in fact they used a suction pump which i quite prefer vs conventional open the drain plug method), replace oil filter and thats it.
Yes i could have done it myself but that means jacking up the car with the tyre jack - not safe at all.

No other checking. Air filter they just take out and knock out some dust. Dont even bother to use air gun to blow.

Btw where is this "partial rented" workshop located?
Near Sri Manja.. A workshop called Sun Motor. The front is a tyre alignment shop Behind is the one and only uncle who repair cars.
TSThrust
post Oct 5 2019, 09:55 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(filage @ Oct 5 2019, 03:20 PM)
Okay so at one shop I went it is 25 too,
25 for bringing your own oil they said
lesser I can't remember what 10 or 15 for if you use their oil.
Which means discrimination to you for bringing own oil. You pay them the profit loss for their lack of engine oil sales profit.
Did blow air gun on air filter, pump tyre.
But what amazes me is they pour the bottle of oil like they are so sure they won't overfilled. One pour and then he went to check the dipstick and that's it. When I was home the mark overstretched the MAX by 5mm or so which means overfilled.
And not to mention they didn't rewrap my drain plug with teflon, previously also I had wrapped with teflon tape because the washer is missing. So they just screwed it back with the existing teflon and when I was back, the oil seeped and dripped with small puddle overnight. Went back again to ask them to redo and they weren't too happy like not our fault kind but they did loosen the plug and rewrap new teflon and the seeping is arrested. Overall I don't think the charge and workmanship is satisfactory.
I never really agree with using teflon tape to wrap the drain bolt. This method isn't recommended by car manufacturer at all. One should always use a washer as teflon tape will melt and break into tiny pieces which may clog the engine oil passage if unlucky.
TSThrust
post Oct 6 2019, 07:23 AM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(filage @ Oct 5 2019, 10:52 PM)
Do you purchase your own washer or tour mechanic gives you a new washer every time change oil?
When I buy the engine oil from Honda stockist, they do sell washers. So I'll buy from them and replace the washer every time.
TSThrust
post Oct 6 2019, 12:02 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(filage @ Oct 6 2019, 11:58 AM)
How much is one washer?
I think it's around RM1 ringgit ++ only.
TSThrust
post Oct 7 2019, 12:27 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Oct 7 2019, 12:10 PM)
My place in Semenyih still with rm10 for oil change charges if bring own EO.

They used the sucking pump when change oil
I've seen a youtube video where a guy compared the difference between using a suction pump vs oil drain through the oil pan.

As it turns out, suction pump managed to suck most of the old engine oil out.

However, when the guy release the drain bolt after the suction process, there's still about 100 ml of old oil left in the pan which he drain out using the conventional method.

Conclusion is, suction pump can do the job well but if you want the best way to drain the old oil out, using the drain bolt method is the best.
TSThrust
post Dec 23 2019, 06:42 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(langatian @ Dec 23 2019, 04:02 PM)
change Engine oil, gear oil, and brake oil got charged at RM60. expensive right.
RM60 for these few jobs are quite alright.

This post has been edited by Thrust: Dec 23 2019, 06:42 PM
TSThrust
post Sep 24 2020, 02:37 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(unitron @ Sep 24 2020, 02:27 PM)
Ok, thanks. I was wondering do i need to buy special tool next time if i do get a BMW.
Local brand and Japs normally uses standard stuff... I know contis always like to be different to make life difficult for people to work on their own cars.
You need to get a BMW oil filter wrench to remove the oil filter housing.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0228sec    0.23    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:18 AM