Getting Started
157 posts

An experience from Vietnam
https://taobabe.wordpress.com/2014/07/12/de...e-taoist-magic/

TSconxtion
post Mar 13 2017, 10:48 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

Definitely, the Chinese here mix up both.

QUOTE(Baconateer @ Mar 13 2017, 10:47 AM)
definitely a religion

here we practice a mix of buddhism and taoism..

but i always consider buddhism to be non-religion..
TSconxtion
post Mar 13 2017, 11:06 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

Interesting. Which mountain is this?
TQ

QUOTE(pastacarbonara @ Mar 13 2017, 10:50 AM)
Off topic here a bit.

I went China last week and I went hiking on a mountain sacred to Taoist believers. Along the way, a small kid handed me a book which contains some Taoist scriptures.

I have no use of this and it's a bit disrespectful to toss away stuff like these. So if anyone wants it, ping me I can give it to you.
TSconxtion
post Mar 13 2017, 02:25 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

Come to think of it, there used to be some great swordsman movies regarding Taoist Wudang and Huashan warriors.
TSconxtion
post Mar 13 2017, 06:05 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

Ehh, your opinion is the complete opposite of @SpikeMarlene's biggrin.gif

QUOTE(empatTan @ Mar 13 2017, 04:40 PM)
If Tao is correct, then it is d end game of modern physics.
TSconxtion
post Sep 21 2017, 11:16 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

What language is the book in, may I know?

QUOTE(pastacarbonara @ Mar 13 2017, 10:50 AM)
Off topic here a bit.

I went China last week and I went hiking on a mountain sacred to Taoist believers. Along the way, a small kid handed me a book which contains some Taoist scriptures.

I have no use of this and it's a bit disrespectful to toss away stuff like these. So if anyone wants it, ping me I can give it to you.
TSconxtion
post Sep 21 2017, 11:36 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

The Three Stars - Fu Luk Shou - how many of you pray to these deities, or have their figurines in your house?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanxing_(deities)

TSconxtion
post Sep 21 2017, 11:40 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

from above wiki

The three gods, their stars and their attributes

Fuxing

The star of Fu (福), Fuxing 福星, refers to the planet Jupiter. In traditional astrology, the planet Jupiter was believed to be auspicious. Alternatively, according to a Taoist myth of the Ming dynasty, the Fu star is associated with Yang Cheng, a governor of Daozhou in Western Han (206 BC - 24 AD). Yang Cheng risked his life by writing a memorial to the emperor to save the people from presenting dwarf slaves as the special tribute to the imperial court. After his death, the people built a temple to commemorate him, and over time he came to be considered the personification of good fortune.

He is generally depicted in scholar's dress, holding a scroll, on which is sometimes written the character "Fu". He may also be seen holding a child, or surrounded by children. He is sometimes conflated with Caishen, the "Wealth God".

Luxing

The star of Lu (禄), Luxing 禄星, is ζ Ursa Majoris, or, in traditional Chinese astronomy, the sixth star in the Wenchang cluster, and like the Fu star came to be personified. The Lu star is believed to be Zhang Xian who lived during the Later Shu dynasty. The word lu specifically refers to the salary of a government official. As such, the Lu star is the star of prosperity, rank, and influence.

The Lu star was also worshipped separately from the other two as the deity dictating one's success in the imperial examinations, and therefore success in the imperial bureaucracy. The Lu star is usually depicted in the dress of a mandarin.

Shouxing

The star of Shou (壽), Shouxing 寿星, is α Carinae (Canopus), the star of the south pole in Chinese astronomy, and is believed to control the life spans of mortals. According to legend, he was carried in his mother's womb for ten years before being born, and was already an old man when delivered. He is recognized by his high, domed forehead and the peach which he carries as a symbol of immortality. The longevity god is usually shown smiling and friendly, and he may sometimes be carrying a gourd filled with the elixir of life. He is sometimes conflated with Laozi and corresponding gods of Taoist theology.

TSconxtion
post Sep 22 2017, 07:14 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

@JasonAubama

Master Jason, hope you dun mind give us some Tao knowledge here. TQVM

QUOTE(JasonAubama @ Sep 22 2017, 10:53 AM)
By chance, I’m a professional Taoist Master inherited from my Grand father & father with cumulative of 100 years service. Need not to worry as long as you’re “clean”, not thinking of any bad intentions. Should need be, you may seek for any religious Sifu for advice!
TSconxtion
post Sep 22 2017, 10:45 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

True. Up to the 16th century, science and magic were indistinguishable. Science at that time was called "natural magic".
TSconxtion
post Sep 24 2017, 01:28 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

Oh wow, so many family members have the ability to sense. Great !!!

Do you have a temple or meeting place where one can learn more?

Furthermore, does one need to be able to read Chinese?

Thanks.

QUOTE(JasonAubama @ Sep 23 2017, 06:39 PM)
My uncle in-law was in USA for decades & we have totally lost contact for years. Out of sudden, his friend managed to call us & we had a video conferencing where he was in hospital for years. I knew that is our bon voyage & encouraged to leave the world bravely. Within half a day, he rested in peace.
My wife asked to organize a Tao Ritual to salvage him where all my Taoist seniors felt uncomfortable as the body in USA.
I took the full responsibility as the Ritual Leader & organise the ceremony as normal. As soon as our ritual begun, his soul arrived without boundary of space & one of my public company’s CFO relative told my wife where he is. Both my son & daughter already sensed it (inherited from my family) where the Ritual run smoothly with peace of mind. Thanks to all the relevant officers beyond conctributed to the suscessful event 😅
TSconxtion
post Sep 25 2017, 01:37 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

According to Wikipedia, Sun Wukong acquires his powers thru Taoist practices, then takes part in a Buddhist journey. So, he is a bit of both.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Wukong

QUOTE(gonfeeces @ Sep 24 2017, 08:53 PM)
sun wu kong is Taoism?
TSconxtion
post Sep 26 2017, 04:26 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

Journey to the West is one epic story.
TSconxtion
post Sep 29 2017, 06:36 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

@lshsl tqvm for the enlightenment. thumbup.gif

QUOTE(lshsl @ Sep 28 2017, 11:26 PM)
Subhūti (Pali: Subhūti; Chinese: 须菩提; pinyin: Xūpútí) was one of the Ten Great Sāvakas of Gotama Buddha, and foremost in giving gifts. In Prakrit and Pāli, his name literally means "Good Existence" (su: "good", bhūti: "existence"). He is also sometimes referred to as "Elder Subhūti" (Subhūti Thera). He was a contemporary of such famous arahants as Sāriputta, Mahakassapa, Mahāmoggallana, Mahākaccāna and Ānanda.

A character based on Subhūti appears in the Chinese classical novel Journey to the West, as the teacher of the Monkey King Sun Wukong. The story of Sun Wukong first meeting Subhūti was a play on the Zen story of Huineng meeting Hongren, as told in the Platform Sūtra of Zen Buddhism. Because of the role that Subhūti plays in the story, his name has remained familiar in Chinese culture.
sos
TSconxtion
post Sep 30 2017, 10:50 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

"The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao" sums it up. Some things cannot be taught, only experienced.

But that shouldn't stop us from discussing it here
happy.gif
TSconxtion
post Oct 9 2017, 01:25 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

Btw, if any CH forummers wanna discuss anything, we can start a new thread here too. Just drop a note in this thread first. TQ
TSconxtion
post Oct 9 2017, 02:41 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

Ehh Jason sifu, any Taoist god can give wealth?

Very sian if we need to depend on Grab for a living.

QUOTE(JasonAubama @ Oct 2 2017, 09:23 AM)
The Celestial Master Zhang was conferred by the Chinese Emperors as part of the Political Administration Leadership until the 63th Celestial. The end of the Monarchy marked the discontinued of 1,820years ZhengYi Tao that recognized globally.
Right now there are some 7 family members of Zhang claimed that they are the 64th or 65th Celestial Master Zhang & dispute in both Taiwan & China Courts. As usual, China Communist Government appointed a person not carrying family name of Zhang as the 65th Celestial Master Zhang for influence in Religion just like Catholic system.
It is a critical turning point & opportunity for transformation just like Buddhism originated from India (Nepal now) but less that 1% of India population is Buddhist & yet 8% of world population became the next largest religion after Abrahamic Religion (Christian, Muslim, ...).
TSconxtion
post Oct 9 2017, 02:42 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

Can explain what is bone chocking charm? Sounds so interesting ...

QUOTE(JasonAubama @ Oct 1 2017, 12:34 PM)
At once, 5 of us (top tier pro Taoist) chitchatting about bone chocking charms 化骨咒,surprisingly all of us using different scrip but all proven effective when applied.
In my opinion, the key points:
1. We’re confident & truly believed
2. We mastered the Energy Resonance (炁 Qi)
3. The Reciever Fully Trusted in our practice, calm down with muscles relax, ...
4. Our Spiritual Guide coordinates with appropriate Officer-in-charge beyond

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0429sec    0.22    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 3rd July 2020 - 02:07 AM