Working in Singapore V20, All About Living in The Little Red Dot

views

keelim
post Aug 2 2019, 06:50 PM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(Exodius @ Jul 31 2019, 12:49 AM)
Hi Sifus,

I am planning to apply for job in Singapore soon therefore intent to seek opinion from you guys over  here

My concern is I’m getting a much premium pay in malaysia. With around 9 months of working experience, my current pay is around 6k MYR per month. Therefore I would expect similar amount  dollar for my upcoming job, I.e at least 4.5k SGD or above.

I’m in the legal field which have much restriction in Singapore to practice law, so I would be looking for an in house legal / legal commercial job in related legal field. I did found some jobs indicating 4-6kSGD for 2 year working experience, but most of it are undisclosed salary.

Do enlighten me on this matter if it is reasonable to request 4.5k or 5k sgd for someone who have only 9 months working experience. I don’t wanna set my expectation too high prompting instant disqualification by the HR.
I am not a legal counsel but work with many of them (commercial/advisory) for projects and contracts law. Very well remunerated in return for thier labor. The cream of the crop grads are >7.5k in the top houses. The relatively smaller ones avg 5k. In-house will obviously be lower.

Given you just started out, you should be a price taker. The above is the reference for freshies. +-15% you should be alright.

keelim
post Jun 13 2021, 11:14 AM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(justified @ Jun 6 2021, 06:59 PM)
Should i apply PR ? My partner is pr already but i am not although i am 3 yrs here already. Reason being i dont like to be in SG but at this stage, the chance for me going back MY is slim, lack of job opportunity for me. I am in life science. What is the reason for you guys to get pr beside buying hdb ? Job security? Cpf ? But that cannot withdraw right even pr renounce

P.s. can i change job during pr application is in process ? Kinda get mixed answer online.
PR is a long term commitment of one’s personal attachment to a foreign country and professional development as an economic migrant. If you have doubts, please do not proceed.

Singapore’s reputable and sophisticated governance will ensure you do not benefit from the system and not ‘pay’ for it. You should comprehensively understand how the system reaps the social and economic benefits from you in return for granting you a PR - before committing to apply. The land constraints and requirement to protect its sovereignty in a hostile region, naturally compound your sense of doubts to commit to a permanent residency.

keelim
post Sep 26 2021, 04:48 PM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(ilovestitch @ Sep 22 2021, 02:37 PM)
what u guys think about converting citizenship. is it a good move?
Is very personal. Usually when one asks such question, decision would have been made. I would advise against if the underlying reason is attraction to monetary circumstances.
keelim
post Sep 26 2021, 04:58 PM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(strategist @ Sep 15 2021, 05:02 PM)
assuming all else equal, will you pick a RM7,500 job in MY, or SGD4,000 + AWS in Singapore?

why and why not?

To be honest, RM7,500 can live very comfortably in MY. tempting..
If you have been looking for jobs in SG, there must be certain criteria of which you had set. Some you can compromise, some not. Stick with them objectively.

Personally, I would keep looking. RM 7.5k should command a better salary than S$4k and the responsibility which commensurates to the pay - important for your career growth.
keelim
post Dec 26 2021, 12:17 PM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(ghodul @ Dec 25 2021, 04:47 PM)
Having a PR is really powerful.

I manage to secure a new job with 50% hike.
The Government never enters into a social contract only to lose at the end. There will be payback.

QUOTE(Find The Way @ Dec 26 2021, 11:11 AM)
@[LinkZ]
Thanks for sharing the official link smile.gif

@Everyone
Need help to clarify my understanding on the official announcement docs... I have very limited experience dealing with Malaysia income tax. TIA.
Does "pemastautin Malaysia" refer to resident or tax resident?
Old incomes earned between 2019-2021 also subjects to this tax? Besides that, how do we prove our saving is generated from which year's income?
Has anyone done research on the new tax law? If we are a tax resident in SG, would transferring our savings be taxed?

keelim
post Mar 1 2022, 10:18 AM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(LinkZ @ Feb 28 2022, 06:15 PM)
Guys, need ur opinion, ive been working in SG for quite a number of years as an EP, and im in my early 30s now.

Im evaluating whether to relocate to KL or stay in SG and apply for PR. Reason why im thinking is of course be connected to our parents as theyre getting older, live a much more quality life (car, malaysia geographical size/space, house size and more) and of course im planning for a baby as well soon, which means without all those things its going to be inflexible to me.

That being said, Im thinking if i were to relocate to KL, and they can pay me somehow close to equivalent of what Im earning in SGD, then i’d definitely make my way there. Also KL may also be less competitive than SG in terms of talents , etc and it may be faster for me to climb my ranks there, me myself is in within the senior exec role already in SG… i know for a fact SG have a lot of FTs with highly qualified individuals and very smart people there.

But one of my close friend asked me to stay put and apply for PR first before making any choice to go back because it may be harder for me to go back to SG and apply for PR in the future.

Now im wondering if I should apply for PR first then move back or what? But if im not mistaken, PR have to stay for a number of years in SG to maintain it otherwise it’ll be revoked.

Im earning like 200k sgd per year and im afraid malaysia market may find it difficult to match it as much but i dont mind to sacrifice ‘abit’, and I’ll give it a shot… thinking my industry may be able to level it closely…

I still plan to go back to SG one day once my kids grown up a little.

Whats your thought? What will u do if u were me?

Thanks guys!
If you managed to negotiate a package in MYR equivalent to your current SGD post current conversion rate, shouldn’t be a struggle to decide.

Presumably you have been through the local academic system, you should decide if that is appropriate for your children. Do consider the runway you have. Some parents felt intensity should begin in primary. In SG, your social circle may start way before primary.

You may need to share your thoughts on returning to SG once your children “grown up a little”. My reading is you plan to return to fulfill filial piety and enjoy family support and return to SG for unknown reasons in the near future.

keelim
post Mar 1 2022, 10:37 AM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(bengang15 @ Feb 20 2022, 08:00 PM)
thanks for the suggestion. yeah its worth while asking my boss, even though i suspect the chances of it happening is rather slim.

its a local package. so basically covering just the employment visas. in any case we just made a budgeting comparing current and moving to singapore. he saving is pretty much the same maybe 20% less in singapore (after converting to SGD). however we would not be able to enjoy the things we have in Malaysia.

for now, the main priority to for me to find apply for jobs in singapore to test the market. anything else will depend on it. told her i am not confortable if she is the one brining in the bacon. right now in malaysia i am pretty independent with my on expenses. she understands that.

we are both in our early 40s.
Reading between the lines, both of you are living a comfortable life in Msia. Your wife is looking forward to the promotion and moving to SG for a breath of fresh air. Career wise, there shouldn’t be any issue for both of you. Singapore is a hub for many things and plenty of career opportunities. You are also at your prime working age and also ready to settle/compromise for something lower.

The part which is missing in your messaging is what do you want for your children especially the one of schooling age. There should be more research and emphasis on the education system in SG and options available including international school / home schooling support. Those considerations may dominate your career objectives. As for the little one, do look up spaces for infant care or nursery. You may require a lot of support if both parents are working.

Your calculations should include these expenses. If I were you, I will not settle for 7k because for 2 international child expenses, that would easily be wiped out - including their insurances.

The other thing is the emotional well being of your wife. A senior position in SG does invite expectations along. Is not easy to hold everything together but that said, it is also entirely possible.
keelim
post Mar 1 2022, 10:36 PM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(bengang15 @ Mar 1 2022, 10:15 PM)
We did look around. Roughly around 18k - 22k annually for international school. OWIS and SFMS. Insurance wise is something that we have yet to clarify. My wife is covered by her company. The more pressing issue is what do we want for the kids. Are the going on the path to PR and Citizenship? I understand that, in the event that they plan to return to Malaysia it would be difficult for them move back to singapore in the future. But i guess we still have time to think about it. We will be going down to Singapore next month to iron out the documentation. We will be registered as dependant. However, I am still not sure if that would be the right move for me yet. Once registered, i won't be able to drive my malaysian car to singapore...or so i was told.
My ex-colleagues enrolled three of his kids into OWIS. His biggest peeve was the school bus services from route planning to cost. You should mark up your estimates by 30 - 40% as he the ballpark number he mentioned was much higher with miscellaneous expenses. He also has a maid whom he cannot do without due to incompatible schooling time Vs his working hours. If your kids are enrolling into international schools, there will be less gravitational pull from their surrounding to be a resident. For parents who enroll their children into international schools, they typically need to set aside monies for their tertiary education because less pathway to scholarship or subsidy.

The ecosystem here will expedite your decision to be a resident. If not due to monetary reason, it would be for the sake of children’s education/future employability or general safety & security. But take your time and don’t rush it.

I remember you can drive a foreign car for up to 1 year of your visit pass. Not quite sure.

keelim
post Aug 5 2022, 08:27 PM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(richardss @ Jul 4 2022, 03:28 PM)
Hi guys, can share what's your SPR application approval / rejection stories?
I've just applied for me and family (spouse, a daughter and a baby boy) after being in my job for 6 months (EP), annual salary around 120k.

Hearing mixed stories of success and rejections despite being msian chinese..
Since is the entire family, might want to give it more time before deciding to root in SG.
keelim
post Oct 22 2022, 06:41 PM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(tolongking @ Oct 21 2022, 11:44 AM)
would you choose australia over singapore? ive cleared a few rounds of interviews and was about to receive a job offer in singapore but my recruiter told me to consider working in australia instead cos they can no longer hire in SG.

i don't mind to relocate but is it easy to get a work permit? assuming the same package but taxes is much higher in AU and without 17% employer contribution in EPF/CPF right? As such I'm getting much lesser than SG?

about which city.. this is where it's nuts. this is a 100% remote role so where i stay don't matter. i feel sg or au is a trivial -- maybe this is a soft rejection. anyway no final offer made yet but i'm just weighing the pros and cons.
If you’re single, SG is a good platform. Married with or plan to have children, Australia is preferred.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.2193sec    0.30    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:34 AM