views

TSRyoKenzaki
post Jan 30 2017, 05:44 PM, updated 6 months ago

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★
2,312 posts

Height: 169cm
Starting Weight: 60kg

Diet
I try my best to eat at my TDEE which is 1800 calories per day.
I prep my meals every weekend but do not have enough storage space to prep for breakfast and lunch so I eat chicken breast rice everyday for my lunch and mostly eggs, milk, peanut butter and bread every morning.
As for now due to CNY, I will just try to eat sensibly

6 March 2017
Currently eating at 2200calories per day, 400 above my TDEE.
Eating 2.5gram of protein per kg of my bodyweight, which is 150gram.
Carbs and Fat are flexible depends on what I'm cooking.
Started cooking my own lunch too so nowadays I pretty much only eat meals that I prepared myself.
Weekend are usually my "cheat day" where I would eat outside but I will still avoid unhealthy over processed foods.

28 August 2017
Right now I am trying to eat at a mini deficit, about 2000 calories, 150gram protein and prioritizing on fat > carbs but not to the keto diet kind of extreme low carb.
In the morning I will eat 4 eggs, 2 table spoon of peanut butter, 125gram yogurt and 300ml milk.
Lunch will be nasi kandar with curry mutton and 1 egg + tea o ice.
I might start cooking my own lunch though, will see how it goes.
Dinner will be 120gram of chicken breast, 1 canned of tuna in sunflower oil and one hard boiled egg.

Currently I am bulking, eating 2800 calories per day.
My aim is to reach 70kg, putting up 1kg each month.

Not following any diet plan, not counting calories, YOLO

Goal
- Aesthetic
- Single digit body fat
- Healthier lifestyle
- Build up discipline

This is my ideal body goal
user posted image

Current Program
Stronglift 5x5 by Mehdi

24 March 2017
Phrak's GSLP with some modification
- Same weight progression method as SL5x5
- Neutral grip chin up instead of supinated
- Deload by doing 2 sets of the previous weight and AMRAP on the weight that I failed until I can do it for 5 reps

&

Reddit's grip training program

On top of that, I will repeat the same weight if my form are wrong and I will deload when I cannot complete 5 reps.

7 August 2017
Nsuns 531 (Four day version)

19 February 2018
PHUL

18 July 2023
Not following any program, just YOLO-ING

Brief history of myself
I have always been the skinny guy throughout my school life. I never get fat no matter how much I eat, only weighing about 25kg until form 2 where I got taller and gained about 20 more kilo.
I was active in sports in my early highschool, enrolling myself in Taekwondo, boy scout and badminton but I quitted all of it in form 3 to concentrate on my study (Though it's actually just an excuse to be lazy at home).
My weight started to gained significantly when I started working, my belly are swollen although I am not an alcoholic.
I started weight lifting with no research at all 4years ago but didn't last long because I have to undergo surgery.

Fast forward 2016, hitting the gym and achieve a better looking physique had been in my new year's resolution for as long as I can remember.
In October 2016 I decided to achieve this goal in 2017 so I started to do a lot of research in diet as well as weight lifting.
I started out by building up discipline to make sure I have the right mindset and determination to get things done instead of procrastinating like I always do.
I cooked my own meals every weekend and started to familiarize myself in counting calories.
I did that until January 2017 because I was still afraid to go to the gym alone because I'm an introvert and will feel uncomfortable in a place I'm not familiar with.
I called my friends and went to the gym with them and never look back.

Nowadays I'm going to the gym alone most of the time.
I'm following stronglift 5x5 and started lifting with the recommendation starting weight (Which is mostly empty bar) and filmed myself as I'm doing it to make sure I get each of the exercises form correctly before starting to add weight as recommended by the program.

So here am I today, third week into SL 5x5 and decided to record down my journal.

This post has been edited by RyoKenzaki: Jul 24 2023, 09:58 PM
TSRyoKenzaki
post Jan 30 2017, 05:54 PM

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★
2,312 posts

16 January 2017
Here's how my exercises looks like, the first time I did them

Workout A
Squat
5x5x20kg
Bench Press
5x5x20kg
Bent over row
5x5x30kg

Squat
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Bench Press

Bent over row

This post has been edited by RyoKenzaki: Feb 11 2017, 10:21 PM
TSRyoKenzaki
post Jan 30 2017, 06:00 PM

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★
2,312 posts

18 January 2017
Workout B
Squat
5x5x20kg
Overhead Press
5x5x20kg
Deadlift
1x5x40kg

Squat

Overhead Press

Deadlift

This post has been edited by RyoKenzaki: Feb 11 2017, 10:27 PM
zipitup
post Jan 30 2017, 06:01 PM

29 posts

Good for you.
Good program to start on.

Yes correct posture and technique before putting on weights on the bar. But you can put micro plates (2.5kg?) or 5 kg just to have some feel. Sometimes just bar alone hard to have correct posture especially when you are new, because it's a bit too light.

Just make sure, back arch at all times, at almost all kind of weight lifting.
TSRyoKenzaki
post Jan 30 2017, 06:05 PM

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★
2,312 posts

28 January 2017
These are the most recent video on the third week of the program

Workout A
Squat
5x5x20kg
Bench Press
5x5x20kg
Bent over row
5x5x30kg

Squat

Bench Press

Bent over row

This post has been edited by RyoKenzaki: Feb 11 2017, 10:21 PM
TSRyoKenzaki
post Jan 30 2017, 06:10 PM

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★
2,312 posts

30 January 2017
Workout B
Squat
5x5x20kg
Overhead Press
5x5x20kg
Deadlift
1x5x40kg

Squat

Overhead Press

Deadlift

PS: Looking for gym partner in Enrich Fitness Kepong biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by RyoKenzaki: Feb 11 2017, 10:26 PM
TSRyoKenzaki
post Jan 30 2017, 06:15 PM

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★
2,312 posts

QUOTE(zipitup @ Jan 30 2017, 06:01 PM)
Good for you.
Good program to start on.

Yes correct posture and technique before putting on weights on the bar. But you can put micro plates (2.5kg?) or 5 kg just to have some feel. Sometimes just bar alone hard to have correct posture especially when you are new, because it's a bit too light.

Just make sure, back arch at all times, at almost all kind of weight lifting.
I am planning to do that after I buy 1.25kg plates because my gym doesn't have that weight sweat.gif
On the bolded part, do you mean keeping it neutral aka straight?
zipitup
post Jan 30 2017, 06:23 PM

29 posts

QUOTE(RyoKenzaki @ Jan 30 2017, 06:15 PM)
I am planning to do that after I buy 1.25kg plates because my gym doesn't have that weight  sweat.gif
On the bolded part, do you mean keeping it neutral aka straight?
For example, bench press, there will be a space between your lower back and the bench, hence the arch.

The squats, keeping it straight, but once u do heavier, there will be a slight arch too.

Actually, make sure you brace your core. Then the slight arch will automatically be there.

Like breathe in, hold your breathe, compress your inner muscles / core, and do your rep.
Breathe out after rep ends. and repeat.

zipitup
post Jan 30 2017, 06:24 PM

29 posts

Eh forget 1.25 plates. Just go for 2.5kg.

1.25 a bit too little. 2.5kg really isn't that heavy.
TSRyoKenzaki
post Jan 30 2017, 06:31 PM

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★
2,312 posts

QUOTE(zipitup @ Jan 30 2017, 06:23 PM)
For example, bench press, there will be a space between your lower back and the bench, hence the arch.

The squats, keeping it straight, but once u do heavier, there will be a slight arch too.

Actually, make sure you brace your core. Then the slight arch will automatically be there.

Like breathe in, hold your breathe, compress your inner muscles / core, and do your rep.
Breathe out after rep ends. and repeat.
Noted, thanks for the tips. Will keep it in mind biggrin.gif

QUOTE(zipitup @ Jan 30 2017, 06:24 PM)
Eh forget 1.25 plates. Just go for 2.5kg.

1.25 a bit too little. 2.5kg really isn't that heavy.
I am gonna need 1.25kg plates anyway, because the program asked for 2.5kg increment every workout. If I increase 5kg every workout I'm gonna stall in no time I guess.
zipitup
post Jan 30 2017, 06:33 PM

29 posts

oh bench press i would recommend your feet flat on the ground. Not just the front of your feet. You should be pressing through the heels on the ground.
zipitup
post Jan 30 2017, 06:35 PM

29 posts

QUOTE(RyoKenzaki @ Jan 30 2017, 06:31 PM)
Noted, thanks for the tips. Will keep it in mind biggrin.gif
I am gonna need 1.25kg plates anyway, because the program asked for 2.5kg increment every workout. If I increase 5kg every workout I'm gonna stall in no time I guess.
Hmm I started on SL too, but if I'm not wrong, 2.5kg increment on each side. Not total. smile.gif
That's what I did anyway. smile.gif
TSRyoKenzaki
post Jan 30 2017, 07:03 PM

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★
2,312 posts

QUOTE(zipitup @ Jan 30 2017, 06:33 PM)
oh bench press i would recommend your feet flat on the ground. Not just the front of your feet. You should be pressing through the heels on the ground.
I can't incorporate proper foot drive if I don't push my feet behind that much (which would eventually lifting up my heel in that position)
I'm following Alan Thrall's method, does it matter much if it's flat vs heel up?

QUOTE(zipitup @ Jan 30 2017, 06:35 PM)
Hmm I started on SL too, but if I'm not wrong, 2.5kg increment on each side. Not total. smile.gif
That's what I did anyway. smile.gif
Pretty sure it is 1.25kg each side though
user posted image

It's interesting though, how long did you continuously making progress with 2.5kg each side before you stalled?
zipitup
post Jan 30 2017, 09:42 PM

29 posts

QUOTE(RyoKenzaki @ Jan 30 2017, 07:03 PM)
I can't incorporate proper foot drive if I don't push my feet behind that much (which would eventually lifting up my heel in that position)
I'm following Alan Thrall's method, does it matter much if it's flat vs heel up?
Pretty sure it is 1.25kg each side though
user posted image

It's interesting though, how long did you continuously making progress with 2.5kg each side before you stalled?
After a while, you'll feel 2.5kg (or 1.25kg in your case) is boring.
You'll forget the micro plates and hit 5 kg increments. (for me anyway).
snoopy@xj
post Jan 31 2017, 01:21 AM

Getting Started
125 posts

dude, as fellow beginner, my advise is just do it with weights and slow progress, adding weights as u go along. sometimes, its hard to get the feeling doing it with empty bar. seems like ur gym has some pretty decent power racks. good for u.
Npad
post Feb 2 2017, 09:10 AM

Casual
356 posts

First of all man, congratulations on starting. I'm glad me and lingleeyen encouraged you enough to begin your workout. This journal is a good way to keep track of your lifts. I sure wish I kept one when I first started. There's nothing like looking where you've been to appreciate where you are right now.

I can't watch youtube videos at work so I can't comment on your form. I'll try to do so by the time I get home but I usually get back quite late from training so I might miss out on doing so.

Get the 1.25kg plates. They're useful, especially on bench press and OHP. They're useful now as a beginner and super useful later as an intermediate when you have to fight tooth and nail for every kg you increase on your lifts. I got mine for 40 bucks in lelong. Before that, I used to use big ass chains I tied together with carabiners which costed me 10 bucks at the hardware shop. Leave it in your car so you don't forget about them when heading to the gym.

I wish you all the best and good luck. If you have any questions about training, feel free to PM me directly or comment on my training journal.
Lionel90
post Feb 2 2017, 11:41 AM

I lift! Or so I think..
2,239 posts

2cents from a fellow beginner:

Squat: Try to make it a habit to unrack by extending ur legs rather than using ur calves. Take it slower when u're moving up, might hurt ur knees, maybe it's time to put some weight on if u move too fast. Dont point ur toes too much out. 11o'clock and 1o'clock should be sufficient

Bench: As already pointed out by others, always plant ur whole feet firm on the floor. As for the bar path, i think it's not much problem if it's straight? The rest, u already know it

Row: Form looks good

Press: Form looks good too, but I suck at this and stuck at 27.5 (w/o bar) like forever

Deadlift: Yeah slightly rounded on the negative, brace ur core and squeeze ur shoulder blade through out

*All based on the 2 last workouts*

Others, pls comment if i have got anything wrong so i can learn too wink.gif
TSRyoKenzaki
post Feb 2 2017, 12:20 PM

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★
2,312 posts

QUOTE(Npad @ Feb 2 2017, 09:10 AM)
First of all man, congratulations on starting. I'm glad me and lingleeyen encouraged you enough to begin your workout. This journal is a good way to keep track of your lifts. I sure wish I kept one when I first started. There's nothing like looking where you've been to appreciate where you are right now.

I can't watch youtube videos at work so I can't comment on your form. I'll try to do so by the time I get home but I usually get back quite late from training so I might miss out on doing so.

Get the 1.25kg plates. They're useful, especially on bench press and OHP. They're useful now as a beginner and super useful later as an intermediate when you have to fight tooth and nail for every kg you increase on your lifts. I got mine for 40 bucks in lelong. Before that, I used to use big ass chains I tied together with carabiners which costed me 10 bucks at the hardware shop. Leave it in your car so you don't forget about them when heading to the gym.

I wish you all the best and good luck. If you have any questions about training, feel free to PM me directly or comment on my training journal.
Yes man, a big shout out to both you and lingleeyen for pushing me to start going to gym right away. Just ordered my 1.25kg plates online and it should reach on Monday biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Lionel90 @ Feb 2 2017, 11:41 AM)
2cents from a fellow beginner:

Squat: Try to make it a habit to unrack by extending ur legs rather than using ur calves. Take it slower when u're moving up, might hurt ur knees, maybe it's time to put some weight on if u move too fast. Dont point ur toes too much out. 11o'clock and 1o'clock should be sufficient

Bench: As already pointed out by others, always plant ur whole feet firm on the floor. As for the bar path, i think it's not much problem if it's straight? The rest, u already know it

Row: Form looks good

Press: Form looks good too, but I suck at this and stuck at 27.5 (w/o bar) like forever

Deadlift: Yeah slightly rounded on the negative, brace ur core and squeeze ur shoulder blade through out

*All based on the 2 last workouts*

Others, pls comment if i have got anything wrong so i can learn too wink.gif
Extending my legs as in tip toe? TBH I have no idea how to unrack properly sweat.gif
About planting your feet flat vs heel up, I will research into it more when I have time. I am following Alan Thrall's method and as I know he is a reputable lifter and his form tutorial are one of the best available on YouTube. Aside from that, noted with thanks for your advise biggrin.gif
Lionel90
post Feb 2 2017, 12:34 PM

I lift! Or so I think..
2,239 posts

QUOTE(RyoKenzaki @ Feb 2 2017, 12:20 PM)
Extending my legs as in tip toe? TBH I have no idea how to unrack properly sweat.gif
Nono, as in do not tip toe. How do i put it.. Hmm like the negative during squats where u get back to the original position - bend ur knees to position the bar at traps, then straighten it

If the weight is light then still ok to tip toe it, but once it gets heavy it would put unnecessary stress on ur lower back
TSRyoKenzaki
post Feb 2 2017, 01:00 PM

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★
2,312 posts

1 February 2017
Following the advise if you guys who replied here, I added 5kg in this workout yesterday. I started each exercises with 2 warm up set using the previous starting weights. It was OK, still fairly easy to complete each exercises except for the row where I have to rest for a full 3 minutes between sets. I arrived late to the gym and it was closing by the time I'm doing my row so I didn't get enough rest for the later sets which result in my bad form.
Also, I ordered 1.25kg plates, should be able to start training with progressive overload next week onwards rclxms.gif

Workout A
Warm-up sets
Squat
2x5x20kg
Bench Press
2x5x20kg
Bent over row
2x5x30kg

Workout sets
Squat
5x5x25kg
Bench Press