Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Npad's training journal, Powerlifting

views

TSNpad
post Dec 8 2016, 09:15 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 4 Day 2 (7 December 2016)

I'm down with flu and sore throat and I'm not feeling super fly so decided to reduce training from 4 days to 3 days this week. I'll still squat, bench and deadlift 3 times this week with similar intensities but I'm doing less accessories to help recovery.

Squat (Lowbar) 97.5kg x 5 x 5
- Volume squats on this session. It felt alright, the weight moved at a decent speed but it could be better. I felt as if my lockout could be better as well on this session but I was more concerned about getting the work in. Also had issues with balance and my heel rising up on a few reps. Not my best day. RPE8.5 on these.

Bench Press (Touch & Go) 65kg x 5 x 5 AMRAP=6
- The poor performance continued on with bench. My elbows were feeling a bit stiff and the weight felt heavier than it should. Also some issue with my left scapula detracting on a few reps as well, so I know my form was breaking. The weight moved at a decent speed though, and I was able to maintain a good bar path. RPE9 for bench on this session.

Paused Deadlift (to knees) 107.5kg x 3 x 3
- Since I wasn't feeling it I decided to do my paused deadlifts to knees only and do them beltless. I paused at knee level for 2-3 counts and it felt really good actually. I had to use straps because my hands were killing me. I felt lightheaded after set 3 because I held my breath too long on the last rep. 0/10 would recommend pausing too long. You could pass out! RPE8 on these.

Accessories.
- I did lat pulldown 60kgx3x10 as a finisher for the day. I need to add more weight to this exercise as it feels non challenging now. 60kg used to be quite heavy for me.

This post has been edited by Npad: Dec 8 2016, 04:20 PM
TSNpad
post Dec 10 2016, 10:05 AM

Casual
356 posts

EDIT: I think, I think the demon has been slayed once and for all.

Oh ya, MPA is opening registration to MPA championship next year this Monday (12/12/2016). Those thinking to join a powerlifting meet, I'd highly recommend it if you are able. Weak, strong, guy, girl, young, old, doesn't matter. If you can squat, bench and deadlift, you're gonna have a lot of fun. Spots get filled real quickly, usually on the day it opens, so don't dally.

This post has been edited by Npad: Feb 6 2017, 01:08 PM
TSNpad
post Dec 13 2016, 10:13 AM

Casual
356 posts

I told you not to dally. Spots filled up in 42 mins after the registration was opened. I'm just glad I secured a spot. Meet is in March, time to train with a purpose. 400kg total here I come!

user posted image

Oh yeah, I didn't train on Monday because I took a short vacation to Singapore zoo, which was awesome and very helpful to my mental. Woohoo! I feel heaps better now. Gonna continue training this week but I'll take it easy. Meet prep begins in January.
TSNpad
post Dec 14 2016, 09:13 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 5 Day 1 (13 December 2016)

Just got back from a short vacation in Singapore and my body is tired as fuck. I drove long hours and slept short hours so decided to take this week a bit easy and work on some issues, the main one currently being APT and super tight muscles. So programming can all go to shits. laugh.gif

Plan for this week is to do some compound, foam roll and hit abs hard.

Squat (Lowbar) 3RM test. 100x3, 110x3, 120x3.
- On this session, I tested my 3RM but my spine didn't feel all to well when I got to 120kg. The weight moved ok. As usual, when it gets heavy, it slows down around the sticking point. 120kg wasn't that much of a struggle but was definitely challenging. Not sure if it's just an off day or my squat has regressed, either way I'll find out on the last week of December.

Accessories.
- Ended up being a super short session because I wanted to get a foot massage. Calves were killing me. For accessories I went and did landmine rows with my brand spanking new V-bar handle 50kgx3x8.

TSNpad
post Dec 15 2016, 09:12 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 5 Day 2 (14 December 2016)

Unexpected PR is the best kind of PR man. After an appalling session with my squats the day before, on this session I decided to just chill out, and by chill out, I mean deadlift my face off simply because I love to deadlift.

Deadlift (Deadstop) weight as below:
- 111kg x 3
- 121kg x 3
- 134kg x 3
- 139kg x 3
- 143kg x 3
- 148kg x 3
- 153kg x 2 (bad lockout on 2nd rep)
- 158kg x 2
- 166kg x 1

- The weird numbers on the weight is because I used the lbs bumper plates the gym had. Super stoked that I could pull 166kg as a new 1RM for my conventional deadlift. About 4 months ago my 1RM was about 153kg. I think I might stick with conventional for now because sumo really fucks up my hips. For this upcoming meet I'll train and compete with conventional. 400kg total doesn't seem too impossible now. I might even get to 420kg. biggrin.gif

After the 1RM deadlift I was dead. Went home straight after and no accessories got done. Not too bad for a chilled out session.
TSNpad
post Dec 20 2016, 09:25 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 6 Day 1 (19 December 2016)

Finally I went to train. The deadlift PR really killed me that day so I took Friday off. Fuck it. Besides, star wars is top priority. It's holiday time anyway so I didn't want to do too much volume and increase my fatigue.

However, I managed to get a new bench press PR on this session, a whole 7.5kg higher than what I previously benched back in August. I was feeling great and the bar was moving nicely so I decided to give it a shot. Bench press 4 days a week really works wonderfully for me. The training went as follows.

Bench Press with weight as below:
- 20kg (barbell only) x 50 for warmup
- 40kg x 10 (T&G)
- 50kg x 8 (T&G)
- 60kg x 5, 5, 5 (T&G)
- 65kg x 5, 5, 5 (Paused)
- 70kg x 5, 4, 3 (Paused)
- 75kg x 3, 3 (Paused)
- 80kg x 3 (Paused)
- 85kg x 2 (Paused)
- 90kg x 1 (Paused) This weight was RPE9.5, definitely couldn't get a 2nd rep even if I tried.

- This was the best Christmas present ever man. I've been very frustrated with my bench the entire year, with shoulder injuries here and there. There was a time when I couldn't even raise my arms above my head. Finally, that 1RM budged and I know the program is working. I'm inching towards that 2 plate bench, who knows I might go YOLO and try it at the meet in March. Lesson learned, to bench more, you gotta bench more, like a shit ton of a lot more.

Accessories
- I did landmine rows 60kg x 3 x 10 and seated cable rows 195lbs x 3 x 15 after bench for some back work using my V-bar handle. Nothing too serious. Awesome training session overall.

TSNpad
post Dec 22 2016, 08:45 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 6 Day 2 (21 December 2016)

Another day another injury. I was doing some light squats for warmup with 80kg and on my 2nd rep I feel a strain/sprain on my lower rib cage on the right side. Now, whenever I brace using the Valsalva maneuver, it hurts. Hell, last night it hurt to breath. Stopped squatting right there and then and did some fuckarounditis movements that didn't hurt that tender spot for hour. Did some leg press, leg extension, and push press (this hurt a little bit but was bearable).

Well, I'm gonna be a curl bro the next few sessions then. Hopefully I heal up enough by January to start my new meet prep training. My plan to test squats next week will have to be postponed. I was planning to test on this session but then this shit happened. Frustrating but it ain't nothing to lose sleep over. I've dealt with injuries like this before and I came back stronger each and every time.

TSNpad
post Dec 22 2016, 05:27 PM

Casual
356 posts

So, I've laid out my training plan for this upcoming meet in March and decided to share it here because it will be easier for me to find later. If there's any glaring mistake in the programming I'd appreciate any constructive criticism especially from those way more experienced than me. Also if anybody wants to try a competition prep style of training, please feel free to run it.

MPA Championsip 2017 Meet Prep Training Plan

So for now, I'll be a curl bro and not log my training from now on till I begin the meet prep in January. I'm going for Christmas holiday next week and I wanna recover as soon as possible from this bloody pulled rib muscle. S/B/D will have to take a backseat for a while.

I don't know if anybody follows me on here, but if anybody does, I'll see you in 2017. Merry Christmas and happy new years everyone. May your squats always be to depth. See ya!

This post has been edited by Npad: Jan 6 2017, 12:00 PM
TSNpad
post Dec 26 2016, 10:45 AM

Casual
356 posts

Christmas Holiday Training (25 December 2016)

Well, I can't stay away from the iron. I was feeling fat and lethargic from all the food I've had from the Christmas celebration. And I was hungover. What's a better cure than to just hit the iron and sweat it all out. Haha. Found a gym nearby grandma's house here in Penang and went for a walk in.

Squat (low bar) 110kg x 3 x 3
- No chalk sucks. Hands were wet, back was wet. The barbell had literally 0 knurling. No AC sucks. It was hot as two hells in there. The safety on the squat rack was not adjustable and it was too tall as well. Stomachache halfway through. Could you tell that this wasn't the best session ever? Owh well, got it done nonetheless. RPE whatever. Why the fuck do I record this RPE thing anyway? =.=

Bench press (paused) 60kg x 8, 65kg x 6, 70kg x 5
- No chalk really sucks lah. But hey, I got my brand spanking new Titan Titanium wrist wraps as a Christmas present and I was excited to test it out. It was great. No flexion on the wrist whatsoever, like a hand cast I tell ya. Great bench session, got a good pump.

Accessories
- This gym had a dedicated landmine row thing, complete with a platform and shit. Damn! I wish we had that in our gym back home. Did landmine rows 40kg x 2 x 10. Fun little finisher. After that I felt like an overheated car and had to call it a day. I'm so glad we have AC in our gym back home. I cannot imagine training in that heat too often. I might get heat stroke.
bafukie
post Dec 27 2016, 10:31 AM

Regular
1,406 posts

Lol... Which gym u went to? Well learn to train without aircond then!!! None of the gym i frequently visit ( 3-4 depending on my location) in Penang are equipped with air cond.
TSNpad
post Dec 27 2016, 11:32 AM

Casual
356 posts

QUOTE(bafukie @ Dec 27 2016, 10:31 AM)
Lol... Which gym u went to? Well learn to train without aircond then!!! None of the gym i frequently visit ( 3-4 depending on my location) in Penang are equipped with air cond.
Damn man, I don't know how you do it. I felt like I needed a fresh t-shirt after every lift. I went to orient fitness express on Jalan Perak. Should have went to the orient fitness gold in Gurney paragon, I passed by that place yesterday and it looked so damn sweet with their crossfit box style setup.
bafukie
post Dec 27 2016, 03:04 PM

Regular
1,406 posts

Maybe im used to it. I remember once i was at a gym in my hometown. Everything looks so......nice... tidy and fully air cond. Least to say, its quite an attractive gym from the outside. However, i couldnt concentrate much during my workout. Its too quiet and comfy for my liking. Hahahaha.
TSNpad
post Jan 3 2017, 09:52 AM

Casual
356 posts

Meet Prep Week 1 Day 1 (2 January 2017)

I'm finally back from holiday and gotten into my daily routine again. Disappointingly, I didn't get to train at all during the holidays (only once on Christmas day) and I found that it really affected my conditioning and work capacity. Pleasantly surprising though, was the fact that I actually lost weight and retained most of my strength, so that's good.

Recently I've made the decision to cut for this meet and compete at U67.5kg class instead of the U75kg class. I am currently at 76.0kg. In the next 7-8 weeks I aim to cut down to 70kg. The final 4 weeks of training I plan to maintain at 70kg and on weigh in week I will water cut to 67kg. 3kg water cut is easy, done it before without any difficulty at all. If I can maintain my PR's, or break them just a little bit, but at a much lower bodyweight at this meet, it will be a victory in my books. I sure hope I don't destroy myself on this cut. Alright, with the updates out of the way,here's the training log for this session.

Bench Press (Touch & Go) 65kg x 3 x 5
- Started off with bench at a light weight and small volume. I'll increase the volume next week once I get my work capacity up again. I programmed to do 5x5 on this session but I was too damn tired. 3x5 seemed like appropriate for the session so I ended it there.

Squat (Lowbar) 90kg x 3 x 5
- Same thing with squats. 90kg was easy, but doing it for 5 reps take my breath away. It's okay, first few session I need to make sure I don't kill myself so I'll take it easy this week. Programmed 5x5 but did 3x5 just like bench. Another thing to note was the cramps in my legs after squats. I suspect this is due to low sodium and potassium intake during the holidays. Will resume my normal sodium and potassium intake and supplement to combat this.

Accessories.
- I finished off the session with chest supported T-bar rows 30kg 3x10. Nothing much to say about it.

TSNpad
post Jan 4 2017, 09:17 AM

Casual
356 posts

Meet Prep Week 1 Day 2 (3 January 2017)

God damn the gym was packed. Where'd all these people come from? Surprisingly on this session I felt a lot more energetic and the workload didn't affect me like the previous session did. The volume is still low though. I'll attribute the poor performance of the previous session to the fatigue from driving down from Penang to KL and lack of electrolyte in my body. Excuses as usual. biggrin.gif

Deadlift (deadstop but T&G on last) 125kg x 2 x 3, 125kg x 1 x AMRAP=8
- Deadlift felt a bit foreign to me on this session. I noticed some lockout weakness instead of the usual off the floor speed weakness. "Glutes weren't firing" is what the Internet would usually diagnose it to be. Maybe my form ain't the best on this session or my body kinda forgot how to deadlift but I don't think it's anything to worry about. I'll see if I still have this issue in week 3, if so I'll have to change deadlift accessory movements to assist lockout instead of off the floor speed. RPE8 on these sets, moved fast and easy. AMRAP set was just me showing off to a bunch of new years resolutioners, 125kg seemed to impress them a lot even though it's quite pathetic really. tongue.gif

Bench Press (competition paused) 67.5kg x 5 x 3
- Bench felt great on this session. The new wraps feel like they give me an extra boost, though I know that's mostly mental. I've noticed some issue of the bar not landing on the same spot on my chest on each rep. Again, this might just be a practice issue than an actual weakness issue. I'll let it slide since it's first week and everything. The weight moved fast and easy as well, RPE 8.

Accessories.
- For back I did seated cable row 195lbs x 3 x 10 since the lat pulldown was occupied to the brim. Finished off with flat dumbbell bench press 30kg x 1 x AMRAP=8. Glad to see my dumbbell pressing strength is still there.
TSNpad
post Jan 6 2017, 09:03 AM

Casual
356 posts

Meet Prep Week 1 Day 3 (5 January 2017)

Funny how the gym was empty on this session. A lot of people prefer Mon, Wed, Friday schedule maybe. It'd be surprising if a lot of those new year's resolutioners had quit by now already. January is not even over yet damn it. Stick to the plan. Anyhow, wore my soft suit on this session and it was awesome. I love my SBD soft suit. Also my cut is going well. I'm on track with my goal of losing 0.75kg to 1kg a week.

Bench Press (Competition paused) 70kg x 3 x 3, 72.5kg x 2 x 3
- I started off with bench instead of squats because suddenly Thursdays became international leg day. Had a scary rep on set 2 of 70kg when my wrist flicked forward. One of the downsides of wearing wraps a lot. I need to limit my wraps usage to sets above 70kg only and work on my wrist/forearms strength. Overall though, the session felt great. The weight moved fast and easy and the reps were getting more and more consistent, hitting the same spot almost every time. RPE 8.5 on this session.

Squat (Lowbar) 87.5kg x 3 x 8
- Sets of 8's are death. I felt strain and fatigue like I've never felt before. And this was only 65% of max. I incorporated sets of 8 for squats because the old training style for it didn't really pay off. I gained a lot in bench using high frequency, high volume and high intensity. I gained a lot in deadlift with high intensity, moderate volume and weakness focused movements. For squats I did high frequency and high volume but not much gains. So this time around I'm trying high volume, low frequency and moderate intensity and see where it takes me. That's why 3 x 8 came into the picture. I've never done more than 5 reps for any working sets before. RPE "I'm gonna die" on this session. I think it will improve as the weeks go by. One more comment, I think I've been squatting too low so I'm gonna start filming my squats to check and try to rectify the depth problem. I need to learn to squat below parallel and not ass to grass all the damn time.

Accessories.
- Finished off with pull-up 3 x 5. I hate pull-ups. No accessories were done this week at all.

TSNpad
post Jan 9 2017, 11:11 AM

Casual
356 posts

Meet Prep Week 1 Day 4 ( 6 January 2017)

This session didn't happen as life has a way of telling you not to train. Halfway through my warm-up I received a call saying my sister in law got into an accident. Thankfully she's fine but I couldn't continue my training for the session afterwards. All is well. I'm starting my week 2 today (Monday) and I'm scared but excited at the same time for the humongous volume to come. mega_shok.gif
champlaos11
post Jan 9 2017, 04:08 PM

Casual
312 posts

Keep it up man. Good work.
TSNpad
post Jan 10 2017, 09:28 AM

Casual
356 posts

Meet Prep Week 2 Day 1 (9 January 2017)

Finally, I can go full beast mode again. Last week slump is over! Switched up my training this session by doing day 2's main movement and day 1's accessories due to every other gym goers going for every single piece of equipment I need. But ain't nobody ever deadlifts so the platform was clear. Anyhow, some update on the weight cut. Morning weight today (10/1/2017) was 74.8kg. Woohoo! Started of with 76.0kg exactly a week ago. On track to U67.5kg class. I'll wait till CNY to inform MPA of the weight class change. If I can get to 71kg-72kg by CNY eve, then I'm pretty sure I will be able to make weight come weigh in day for U67.5kg.

Deadlift (deadstop) 135kg x 3 x 3
- This weight feels really light on this session. It went up fast with no breakdowns in form. No grip issues as well so I'm happy. RPE 8 on these. I've lost some weight and bodyfat so my belt ain't as tight as I'd like it to be but I'm still much too fat to use the next hole down on the belt. So what I did was pull up my belt up to right below my rib cage. This position was way more comfortable than the usual position. I'm gonna stick with this belt position for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Bench Press (competition paused) 72.5kg x 5 x 3
- Felt like I had to rush on my bench on this session because so many people were lined up to use it after me. Mondays are international chest days after all. I mean I offered to share but noooo, they'd rather wait they said. Oh well, then wait. Weight felt solid today. Moved fairly easily at good speed. RPE 8.5 on this session. At this point I felt as if my pecs are no longer the limiting factor, it's my triceps now. Off the chest strength is great currently, it's just my lockout that weren't so pretty on some final reps of this session so it's definitely something to look into. Bar path was great though. Hit the same spot on the chest each reps with a good 1-2s pause.

Deadlifts (to knees) 102.5kg x 3 x 5
- This was a fun little assistance movement. Sheiko likes to program these for his athletes so I figured I'd try it out. It focuses on the off the floor strength and hammers the shit out of the hammies and glutes (figuratively, NOT literally). I'm so damn sore in the backside today. I like these, highly recommend it. More practice in the first part of the movement, I believe it will yield a good result. RPE 7.5 on these. I finished each set with a full ROM rep that double pauses at the knees to make it even more difficult. Fun times.

Accessories.
- For accessories, I did:

V-Bar landmine rows 60kg x 3 x 10
Skullcrusher EZ curl bar 10kg x 2 x 15
EZ curl bar curl 10kg x 3 x 10.

-Gawd I forgot how much I hate doing arms. I have small biceps okay, don't judge me!

This post has been edited by Npad: Jan 10 2017, 09:32 AM
TSNpad
post Jan 10 2017, 09:33 AM

Casual
356 posts

QUOTE(champlaos11 @ Jan 9 2017, 04:08 PM)
Keep it up man. Good work.
Thanks man.
bafukie
post Jan 10 2017, 09:37 AM

Regular
1,406 posts

Its funny how i feel the same abt arms as well. I hated it then, i hated it now. But i love the pump though. Hahaha

7 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0226sec    0.24    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:25 AM