7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Npad's training journal, Powerlifting

views

TSNpad
post Nov 11 2016, 04:55 PM, updated 7y ago

Casual
356 posts

I quit lowyat. I'll log somewhere else. Ask darklight for anything and everything. He has all the answers. Goodbye. Thread closed.

This post has been edited by Npad: Apr 10 2017, 08:28 AM
TSNpad
post Nov 11 2016, 04:56 PM

Casual
356 posts

Week 1 Day 1 (7 November 2016)

Squat (Lowbar) 95kg x 5 x 4
- RPE on this one was probably around 8. It wasn't difficult but I kept getting out of breath. I feel like I was out of shape though the weight felt light and moved really fast. Shows my conditioning is shit.

Manpon Press 70kg x 5 x 5
- Great pressing session. Weights moved fast. Each set felt like I had at least another 1 rep left in the tank.

Deadlift (complete reset) 125kg x 3 x 3
- Form was not the best on this session as I am still getting used to the cue to rock the hips back. Felt some rounding on the lumbar, not good. RPE was maybe 8. Got it done but wasn't as satisfied.

Accessories.
- Did Kroc rows 40kg and DB bench press 30kg. Just some fluff and buff to work on the chest muscle. Did some abwheel half-assedly. Man I was beat by the end of the session.
TSNpad
post Nov 11 2016, 04:56 PM

Casual
356 posts

Week 1 Day 2 (8 November 2016)

Speed Squat (Lowbar) 100kg x 6 x 2
- Speed squats baby. This was a fun session. Rest time was limited to 50 seconds. 100kg was spot on, weight moved fast, wasn't out of breath and no form breakdown. RPE was 7.

Bench Press (Paused) 65kg x 5 x 3
- Bench felt great this session as well. Each rep was paused a good 2-3 seconds on the chest and the weights moved very fast without any form breakdown. The heavy dumbbell bench presses I've been doing really helped with my weakness in off the chest strength. RPE was around 8.

Deficit Deadlift (Touch and go) 110kg x 3 x 5 AMRAP
- Great deadlift session as well. The goal for deficit is to hammer off the floor weakness I've been having. I haven't had any problem with lockout once it reaches my knees. This session I AMRAP the last set with 7.5 reps. Failed the 8th rep, maybe because I forgot to put on my belt on that last set. Stupid. RPE was probably around 8. I really gotta get my conditioning up. I can't seem to stand any sets with more than 3 reps. Hopefully by week 3 my body will get used to the workload, if not I'll add a conditioning day on the weekends. God I hate doing conditioning.

Accessories.
- Did some skullcrusher and curls with the EZ curl bar loaded with 10 kg. I did 3 x 10 I think. Then lat pulldown with 60kg 3x10 with meh effort. Deadlift really killed me this session. Then I did suitcase isometric hold with 30kg dumbbell strapless. My hands were killing me but it was alright. Obliques are fried. Did 3 sets of 30 seconds holds on each side.

This post has been edited by Npad: Nov 11 2016, 05:01 PM
TSNpad
post Nov 11 2016, 04:58 PM

Casual
356 posts

Week 1 Day 3 (10 November 2016)

Squat (High bar) 85kg x 4 x 5
- High bar. I hate high bar. I love the fact that it trains my quads and promotes a more upright squat but it's just so bloody painful. My right calf was screaming at me to stop I had to roll it out with the foam roller between sets. Hopefully it'll get better because I really don't wanna do front squats. Last time I did high bar my right calf was pulled and I couldn't walk for days. I hate high bar. RPE was at "why do I do this to myself" level.

Bench Press 60kg x 5 x 5 AMRAP
- This was volume session for bench. 60kg felt really solid. I can feel my technique is getting better. No deviations in bar path and I was able to maintain similar speed throughout. AMRAP set I achieved 10 reps. Light weight baby.

Deadlift (complete reset) 115kg x 10 x 1
- What what? 10 sets of singles? Yeah you read that right. This is speed/technique session for deadlift. I wanted to get more practice in, without killing my CNS. 10 singles with 30 seconds rests in between was the answer. Weight moved very fast indeed. Getting my form dialed in. RPE was maybe just a 7.

Accessories.
- Did light DB (26kg) bench press for 3x10 and barbell rows (70kg) for 3x8. Skipped ab work because I was just lazy. I'll try to up the weights next week.
van_takawa
post Nov 13 2016, 11:35 PM

Getting Started
251 posts

Impressive lifting stats for your weight class.You actually lifted 2XBW for deadlift almost 2X for squat and more than 1XBW for bench within the first year you power lift. Mind me asking how tall are you?
Since you mentioned about row as well, curious how much you lifted for overhead press.

This post has been edited by van_takawa: Nov 13 2016, 11:36 PM
TSNpad
post Nov 14 2016, 09:16 AM

Casual
356 posts

QUOTE(van_takawa @ Nov 13 2016, 11:35 PM)
Impressive lifting stats for your weight class.You actually lifted 2XBW for deadlift almost 2X for squat and more than 1XBW for bench within the first year you power lift. Mind me asking how tall are you?
Since you mentioned about row as well, curious how much you lifted for overhead press.
I'm short, like 155cm short. Thanks man, I've been chasing that 3 plate squat for half a year now. I really hope to get it by year's end. I'll test it the week before Christmas, if I get it, it would be the best gift ever.

For overhead press, I don't do them much. I don't even program them into my routine. I probably do them once every 3 months, if that. My shoulders don't like it. Most people, when I say that, they'll say my form might be an issue. Maybe it is but I don't want my shoulders to interfere with my bench press training, which is more important to me. But to answer you, last time I did OHP was 50kg for 5 reps. For rows, I'm crazy in love with that type of movement. Horizontal rowing to be more specific. Kroc row, barbell row, tbar row, landmine row, cable row, etc. Love them all.
TSNpad
post Nov 14 2016, 09:36 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 1 Day 4 (11 November 2016)

Squat (Low bar) 110kg x 3 x 3
- Heavy a.k.a. high intensity squat day. Was supposed to do 107.5kg but body felt great on this day so decided to do 110kg. Weight was heavy as usual but it moved fairly smoothly. The speed was ok, as expected of a heavy load. Form was nice. Current stance feel really awesome, the slightly wider than shoulder with toes pointed forward stance. Moved my hands about an inch towards myself and I found it to keep my upper back a little bit tighter. Gonna keep doing that from now on. One thing to note was the slight shift in the weight balance towards my toes on some reps, which suggest that flat shoes might not be very suitable no more. Overall, great sesh. RPE was 8.5.

Bench Press 65kg x 3 x 3, 70kg x 2 x 3
- Also heavy bench day. Competition paused bench on this day. Nothing much to say really, weight moved very easily and very quickly. I might have programmed my max a bit too light this cycle but it's too early to say that. I'll see how I feel on week 4. But yeah, RPE was 7. I know I had at least another 3-4 reps in each set.

Deadlift (Touch N Go) 115kg x 3 x 5 AMRAP
- I did volume deadlift on this day. Still quite light weight because we're at the start of the program, but it kicked my ass nonetheless. Last set I managed to get 8 reps in. Overall great deadlift sesh as well.

Accessories.
- I did neutral grip pullups on this day. Surprisingly, it's getting better. I can do 5 reps with relative ease now. Woohoo! Progress! Did 3 x 5 on this session. Then I did some tricep extension and curls. Gotta do them arms man.

This post has been edited by Npad: Nov 22 2016, 09:48 AM
van_takawa
post Nov 15 2016, 12:06 AM

Getting Started
251 posts

QUOTE(Npad @ Nov 14 2016, 09:16 AM)
I'm short, like 155cm short. Thanks man, I've been chasing that 3 plate squat for half a year now. I really hope to get it by year's end. I'll test it the week before Christmas, if I get it, it would be the best gift ever.

For overhead press, I don't do them much. I don't even program them into my routine. I probably do them once every 3 months, if that. My shoulders don't like it. Most people, when I say that, they'll say my form might be an issue. Maybe it is but I don't want my shoulders to interfere with my bench press training, which is more important to me. But to answer you, last time I did OHP was 50kg for 5 reps. For rows, I'm crazy in love with that type of movement. Horizontal rowing to be more specific. Kroc row, barbell row, tbar row, landmine row, cable row, etc. Love them all.
Alright. Nice log btw. Keep it up. Consistentcy, good form, good food, we will all reach our goals.
TSNpad
post Nov 16 2016, 08:50 AM

Casual
356 posts

Fuck, I missed Monday and Tuesday. Will go today, but that means this week's sessions is cut short from 4 sessions to 3 sessions. Brodin forgive me. On a brighter note, I just bought a new car. Woohoo!
TSNpad
post Nov 17 2016, 09:57 AM

Casual
356 posts

That's it, I'm calling this whole week off. I'll restart next week as week 2. Food poisoning and squats don't mix man. I did manage to train last night but felt like death the whole time. I might as well spend my effort into recuperating to get back into it next week.
TSNpad
post Nov 22 2016, 09:32 AM

Casual
356 posts

I'm back on track. Last week's food poisoning made my recovery really terrible with low energy levels. Guess you can't get much nutrients from your food if you keep shitting them out. My training sessions (went twice) were really shitty, figuratively and literally. I had to shit between squat sets man, not good. But I'm back this week. I'm restarting week 2 of the program.

Week 2 Day 1 (21 November 2016)

Squat (Low bar) 95 x 1 x 5, 4 x 4
- Volume squats today. First set I did 5 reps. Planning to keep increasing 1 rep per set so by the end of the 6th week I'll be doing 5x5 of the squat. Been having some calf issues, mostly cramping. Had to roll between sets which was annoying. I suspect that this is because I reduced my sodium intake beginning October because I was showing signs of high BP. Will increase my intake a bit for the next few weeks and see where it takes me. This session was easy. Out of breath, sweat like hell, but the weights moved fast and form was good. I'm also experimenting on bar placement to be a bit higher than usual, somewhere between low bar and high bar like John Haack does it. This is yielding a more upright squat, just a bit but the movement feels a lot more powerful.

Bench Press 65kg (TnG) x 5 x 5
- Today was supposed to be manpon press but I forgot my yoga block in the car. Since Monday is international bench press day, I was not gonna let go of an empty bench. So instead I did volume bench. 65kg felt light today. My form is getting dialed in. I'm having some issues with my butt coming off the bench from the leg drive. I think it's a small matter I can fix with a tighter setup. Overall RPE was about 7. The weight was flying up and down with so much speed it felt like an empty bar.

Deadlift (complete reset) 125kg x 3 x 3
- Heavy session for deadlift today. I'm working on getting my setup and form right on every rep so I began taking my time setting up. Explosive on the way up and slowed down on the way down. I paused at the top for a few seconds to get some grip work in and my grip felt solid, even more so that hook grip. I just can't get used to hook grip. Mixed grip all the way. So what if my lats might get imbalanced, I ain't no bodybuilder. Overall this was a great session. Weight felt light. RPE was probably around 8.

Accessories.
- I only managed to squeeze in 1 accessory movement on this day due to time constraints, heavy dumbbell bench press. I managed to do 30kg 2 x 8, 1 x 10. The last set of 10 reps was a PR so I'm gonna up the weight next week.
TSNpad
post Nov 23 2016, 09:17 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 2 Day 2 (22 November 2016)

Squat (Low bar) 100 x 6 x 2
- Speed squats on this session with 50 seconds rest in between. I felt a bit beat up, my recovery isn't going as well as I'd expected it to be. Will increase calories a bit and sleep better. At the end I was exhausted but weight moved very quickly and with good form. Which I am very satisfied with. I started increasing my salt intake this week too and it seems to be helping with the cramping I've been getting on my calves lately. Sodium and potassium ftw! RPE, I don't know what RPE it was, I was too busy trying to breath. Short rest times is torture by design I tell you.

Bench Press 70kg (paused) x 5 x 3
- Competition bench press with a long ass pause at the bottom. The programmed weight was 65kg but I was working in with some other folks and they were using 70kg. I figured I could do 70kg so why not. I'm loving the progress I'm making on bench press, 70kg was my 1RM back in March, it was my 2nd attempt in meet before, and now it feels like a 5RM with pause. RPE was about 7. Very pleased with this session.

Paused Deadlift (complete reset) 110kg x 3 x 3
- Another deadlift variation that I'm doing to hammer the off the floor weakness. This session was great. Programmed weight was 105kg but went with 110kg because it was easier to load the bar with. I paused at the knee for about 3-4 seconds for each rep before finishing the movement. Nothing much to say really. It was a great deadlift session. My ass is sore as fuck today though.

Accessories.
- Again I didn't have much time today so I could only manage 2 sets of 8 of barbell rows at 70kg. Oh well, as long as my main workout is done then I'm happy.

PS, I'm gonna edit the program again for the 5th iteration. I think heavy squat and heavy bench day would be best done on Thursday since I'll get a break on Wednesday. And all the variation movements I can do Friday. Time to rearrange.

PPS, the tweaked program is edited into the OP already check it out.

This post has been edited by Npad: Nov 23 2016, 11:03 AM
TSNpad
post Nov 24 2016, 08:50 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 2 Day 3 (23 November 2016)

I was supposed to take a rest day yesterday but due to life, I can't make it on Friday. So I gotta make up for it. Hence the mediocre training session I had yesterday. I had to skip squats because my quads, hammies and glutes were having none of it. So a chilled out session it was. Only did 2 exercises, 2 damn it! Shortest training session ever.

Manpon Press 75kg (paused) x 3 x 5
- I missed manpon press on Monday so I wanted to do it on this session. The weight didn't feel all that heavy though my biceps and forearms were screaming the entire time. Bar speed was great, bar path was consistent. Supposedly hit 5 x 5 but my arms nagged too much so I had to stop at 3 sets. I'm showing signs of under-recovery. Damn I should have taken the day off. But it's alright, the pressing session went great IMO.

Sumo Deadlift (Touch & Go) 130kg x 2 x 5
- Frustrating. That's how I describe sumo right now. I seem to have forgotten how to sumo. Everything feels so foreign, even my stance and form didn't feel familiar at all. I managed to bruise my left knee as well as the bar keeps hitting only that motherfucking knee on the way down. After the session my lower back was really pumped as well, which usually indicates that I used too much of my lower back instead of just bracing. My form was definitely shit. I'm gonna program sumo at a much much lower weight from now on

Accessories.
- Didn't do nothing for accessories.

TSNpad
post Nov 25 2016, 09:15 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 2 Day 4 (24 November 2016)

This session I was showing signs of overtraining, probably because I couldn't take Wednesday off. There's that CNS tingle I feel every time I move. My big toe on my left foot was giving me problems (swelling) which was weird and my hips were in so much pain that I had to take 5-8 mins rest between my heavy squat sets. Even my damn elbows were feeling the strain even though I wasn't using them directly in squats. In the end, I ended up with only doing squats and some accessories for the session .

Squats (Lowbar) 110kg x 3 x 3
- Warmups on this session was okay, hips and feet weren't giving much of a problem. Once I reached my working set though, I can feel fatigue build up so much in my hips. The weights moved fast like it should, it's only 110kg after all. But after each set, I'm sprawled on the floor in my pool of sweat because my legs were on fire. Tried rolling them but didn't help as much. That's when I knew I should call it a day after squats. Went and finished the 3x3, quite satisfied actually with how 110kg moved with my condition at the time.

Accessories
- I was supposed to do some heavy bench press but elbows didn't feel up for it. Ended up doing 2x10 supersets on the cable station consisting of seated rows, shrugs, bicep curls and face pull. Gave me a good pump and kinda helped with the pain I had on the elbows. 10/10 would recommend the superset. The cable station doesn't have enough weights for me anymore to do seated rows. I'm using the whole stack with little challenge. Does anybody have any tips of adding weight to a cable station?

If this was me a year ago I would have pushed through, do something stupid and end up getting injured. After 2 shoulder injuries and 2 lower back injuries I've learned to back off now. Time to recover, gonna eat and sleep a lot the next 3 days so I can hit Monday with appropriate intensity.

This post has been edited by Npad: Nov 25 2016, 09:17 AM
TSNpad
post Nov 29 2016, 09:25 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 3 Day 1 (28 November 2016)

I got a new toy today. A set of 1.25kg Olympic plates. Woohoo! But I went to the gym immediately after work and couldn't stop by to pick it up at home so didn't get the chance to use it on this session. Next time.

Squat (Low bar) 95kg x 2 x 5 , 95kg 3 x 4
- Volume squat day. I revised my program and was supposed to do 97.5kg on this session but I didn't have my 1.25kg plates with me. Decided to go with 95kg and continued last weeks progression. The weight moved fast and smooth but there were a few reps here and there where I almost stumbled forward. I tried a slightly wider stance, it felt a bit weird as it uses my adductors a bit more but I think I'll continue to experiment with different stances. Overall, good session with weight at RPE8. Rest was timed to be around 3 mins.

Bench Press 65kg x 5 x 5 AMRAP=8
- The revised program now has me benching 65kg for volume, up from 60kg. Woohoo! Nothing much to say about this one. Was easy with the AMRAP set I got 8 reps total. I could have gone for 10 even but I didn't wanna waste my energy and fatigue. RPE7.5 at the most. Loving the progress on bench.

Deadlift (complete reset) 130kg x 3 x 3
- Heavy deadlift day today. I cleaned up my setup and it feels a lot more solid now. I do take longer to initiate the pull costing me some energy but I think it's worth the effort to setup the best that I can. This session was awesome. I held on to the weight at the top for 1-2 breaths for almost every rep to train my grip a little bit and it didn't falter one bit. RPE8 at the most for this session.

Accessories.
- I was feeling great on this session so I went hard on the accessories. I did flat dumbbell bench press 32kg 3 x 8, Kroc row 40kg 2 x 8, and lat pulldown 60kg 3 x 10. All of them felt challenging but nothing too difficult. Awesome session.

This post has been edited by Npad: Nov 29 2016, 09:25 AM
TSNpad
post Nov 30 2016, 08:34 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 3 Day 2 (29 November 2016)

Another day and another incomplete session. Didn't have much time today and completed just one exercise. Oh well. I probably need to modify the program once more to accommodate to this lack of time I've been having lately. I hate skipping exercises.

Bench Press (paused) 70kg x 5 x 3 AMRAP=7
- Bench was awesome this session. I did complete pause (2 count) for the first 4 sets without much difficulty then I decided to touch and go the last set to do an AMRAP which I got 7 reps. Good bench session. RPE was 8.

TSNpad
post Dec 1 2016, 11:52 AM

Casual
356 posts

Alright, just an update. The past 3 weeks I've noticed that I'm always tight on time and I end up skipping the programmed accessories, which in my opinion is counterproductive. 2 and a half hours is a lot to ask for, from either me or the people around me. So I've decided I needed to tweak the program, again, for the 6th time. Well, that's the learning process I guess. As long as my lifts are going up, then I know it's working. So the 6th iteration of the program is here with way less programmed accessories and only 4 compulsory movements a session. I also reduced squats and deadlifts to only 3 sessions per week from the usual 4 sessions a week. I feel like the fatigue build up is sometimes a bit much too much on the previous iteration, so we'll see how goes. I'll add it to the OP. Gonna start it on week 3 day 3.
TSNpad
post Dec 2 2016, 09:43 PM

Casual
356 posts

Week 3 Day 3 (1 December 2016)

I got another new toy today, a vbar handle which I'll use for doing landmine rows and cable rows. My stupid gym did not have none of that handle. I gotta bring this handle every session that I'll need it which is a bit annoying.

Squat (Low bar) 115kg x 3 x 3
- Heavy squats for this session. Hips were still not 100% okay, but I could manage the movement. The weight moved fast and easy, didn't time my rest though. Couldn't give a fuck. The weight was RPE8.5. I don't know about squats man, it never feels easier to be honest. I'll test in a few weeks so I'll know if it's working or not.

Bench Press 72.5kg x 5 x 3
- This session called for heavy competition bench with pause for at least 1 count. I noticed some problem in the descent of the movement as I slam the barbell on my sternum, causing some pain. Practice for controlling the descent of the barbell will take a higher priority for now. RPE8 on the weight, moved fast and easy. Good session.

Deficit deadlift (Touch & Go) 120kg x 2 x 5
- I misloaded the barbell on this session which was idiotic for me. So instead of 3 sets, I did 2, needed to leave some fatigue for the next day. The weight was easy though which surprised me, easy RPE7.5.

Accessories.
- Did one accessory movement today, just the landmine row 60kgx3x10. The handle performed remarkably, loving it.

This post has been edited by Npad: Dec 3 2016, 09:03 AM
TSNpad
post Dec 3 2016, 10:05 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 3 Day 4 (2 December 2016)

Deadlift (Touch & Go) 125kg x 3 x 5
- The previous session where I misloaded the bar for deficit deadlift took its toll on me, I was a bit more fatigued for this session than I am comfortable with. The programmed rep scheme was to AMRAP the last set but I just felt a bit too tired to go past rep 5 on that last set. The lower back pump was insane. Took me 10 of foam rolling and just sitting down before I could walk comfortably. Definitely a tough session but I made it through. The weight wasn't heavy, in fact it moved fast, just really fatigued. RPE9 is more appropriate for this session.

Manpon Press 72.5kg x 5 x 5
- I love manpon press. It really allows for a big overload and trains the lockout for bench press. This session was great. I have some pain in the elbows but nothing I couldn't handle. The weight moved a bit slow on this session but form was alright. Overall RPE8.5 for this session.

Accessories.
- I did flat dumbbell bench press 32kgx2x8 and seated cable rows 195lbsx3x15. The elbows are bothering me a bit so I need to remember to do more lightweight curls in the next few weeks.
TSNpad
post Dec 6 2016, 10:02 AM

Casual
356 posts

Week 4 Day 1 (5 December 2016)

I'm loving my 1.25kg plates man, they're awesome and I ain't sharing. I see you looking at my plates Omar, fuck off.

Speed Squat (Lowbar) 107.5kg x 6 x 2
- Speed squats this session with 70 seconds timed rest between sets. I feel like as these get heavier the rest times will get longer. 70 seconds seem just right for this weight. The weight moved fast and easy. Body is a little beat up from not eating and not resting enough during the weekend. However, I wasn't so out of breath like I was a few weeks ago so that's good. RPE8 on this session.

Bench Press (Paused) 72.5kg x 5 x 3
- I need new wrist wraps. There were a few scary moments where I felt my wrist flicked forward a bit. Anyhow, these felt great. I first touched this weight again last week and I'm getting used to the feeling. The descent problem I had last week is getting hammered away and I feel more in control of the weight, though the pause could use a bit more work. It didn't feel that difficult either. RPE7.5 on these.

Deadlift (deadstop) 137.5kg x 3 x 3
- Deadlift didn't feel so fly this session. It felt heavy even though in theory it shouldn't feel that heavy. I gotta say my setup and form is getting much better though. I can feel the engagement of the hamstrings and glutes a lot more and my lower back feels a lot more solid.The weight moved in a slow but constant manner. Wasn't so satisfied with it but I got it done. Oh well. RPE9 on these.

Accessories.
- Only did Kroc rows for this session and I changed up how I do them. I lower the weight and for the first set I'd do 8 reps and on the second set I'd do AMRAP. I'd increase the weight once I reach 20 on the AMRAP set. So this session I did 34kg x 8, 15. I'll try to hit 20 reps for this weight next week. I feel like this saves some time and ends up being a bit more challenging to my conditioning and overall strength. A strong back leads to a strong squat and deadlift after all.

7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0204sec    0.26    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:34 PM