Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

ILLEGEAR Custom Gaming Laptops v.3, RTX ON! ILLEGEAR RTX Gaming Notebook.

views

nyunyu
post Apr 15 2018, 06:57 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ Apr 11 2018, 11:14 AM)
Hi Cimo,

FYI the ONYX is capable to handle the heat from GTX1070 Max-P (not Max-Q) with full performance potential without any undervolt.

The GTX 1070 Max-P in the ONYX will be available just that we are still checking our options and the best timing to make it ready to the market.
This is what I want to hear. If it will be ready in a month or two, I'd change my order to 1070 in a heart beat!.
nyunyu
post Apr 18 2018, 10:06 AM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 14 2018, 01:59 AM)
Do keep in mind that the gunmetal paint on those Mechrevo Z2 units (also available as the MechaNike F117 Break in what looks like an even lighter shade of silver) MIGHT help it dissipate heat better then the Onyx (even though the bottom is still black across all 3 versions). Theoretically, anyway.

But Furmark 80/70 sounds about rite, at least according to the "back-of-my-hand thermometer" I had while testing the sample. Also, if it ever gets too hot for you there's always the "panic-button": The full speed fan override next to the power.

That said, I couldn't help but wonder how a full 1070 would actually do IF it ever ends up inside an Onyx. Maybe 80-90 under full Furmark, sans any UV or repasting?

Oh and the speakers in the Onyx are not bad TBH. At the very least, they ARE better than the ones on the S5X, but don't expect Harman/Kadon levels of bass or anything from them.
Read the reviews of mechrevo Z2 and while I became excited with Onyx, I disappointed with one thing, the thickness is 23mm at the thickest while the weight seems to be in the region of 2kg or 2.5kg including the brick. As I haven't yet got my hand on it, hopefully it won't looks too bulky for a thin laptop.

Comparing this
user posted image

and GS65
user posted image

It does look like the Onyx is bulkier while the GS at least looks sexier.

Still, I've ordered Onyx as I can't bother to wait for a laptop.

QUOTE(holymushroom @ Apr 15 2018, 07:25 PM)
after it is available u still need to wait for promotion... if not ur heart will shattered when u see those promo biggrin.gif
Haha if I keep hold back and waiting for promo, I won't have a laptop at all.
Just that if 1070 take a while before coming to Onyx, it might causing more dilemma as by that time it might be a few months away from gtx 2k.

This post has been edited by nyunyu: Apr 18 2018, 02:26 PM
nyunyu
post Apr 25 2018, 02:36 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

LOL, few pages back someone told me I'd be surprised when Illegear starts running promo on the laptops and guess what? I sure did. Didn't expect it to be this fast though. Illegear is running a anniversary sale now for all of their lineup including Onyx.

I pre-ordered mine so I could get best price and I sure did, only until the new promo came and un-special mine..lol. Wonder if I can still eligible for the same promo.

Still out of the country and my Onyx still in Illegear's lab. Looking forward to get my hand on it next month.
nyunyu
post Apr 26 2018, 05:03 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 25 2018, 03:45 PM)
Holy you're out of the country and your laptop is with Illegear?

You guys sure get a lot of these types of folks #illegear lol

*wink wink*
What types exactly? o.O
I preordered thinking I would get it before I flew out, unfortunately not.

QUOTE(holymushroom @ Apr 25 2018, 04:05 PM)
If they havent assemble it yet u might still have the chance to get those promo. Try to contact them via WhatsApp. Mayb they will include those free gift on.
QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 25 2018, 04:40 PM)
Yeah, in my dealings with the team they have always been a very reasonable bunch, as long as you have reasonable expectations of them in return.

No harm in asking and trying your luck, though.
Yep, asked them already. They got back to me saying they can get me the promo price (which is RM148 cheaper from what I've already paid, not much to many but still a saving) with a caveat that instead of assembling the RAM (I sent in my own ram) as per agreed on, they asked me to assemble it myself due to peak season and being shorthanded at the moment (even though I told them I don't mind waiting until somewhere middle of next month). Not the best experience I expected ordering this laptop so far though. Hate it when people goes back on their word.

Btw, what is CASH PRICE as shown on the website?
nyunyu
post Apr 26 2018, 08:54 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ Apr 26 2018, 08:07 PM)
Hi nyunyu,

We are more than happy to offer you the promotion price rather than the old price when you ordered with us (few hundred Ringgit difference if not mistaken).

As for the 3rd party ram assembly, I believe your order has been pending for quite sometime since the time you ordered because of multiple specs changing and order amendments.

The recent influx of orders have affected some of our orders lead time, and if we were to assemble your 3rd party ram into your unit that is already ready, we will have to push your unit back to the assembly line and that might delay your order further. That was why we requested you whether you can assemble your own RAM. We are also trying to find ways to reduce our current assembly queue therefore all our customers can receive their machine in time.

You may contact our support team in regards to the exact day and time you want to send in your ram (we haven't received your ram), and we will see if we are able to make a slot for you after discussing with the assembly team.

Thanks!
Hi PrinceJ,
It is true the order has been pending for quite some time and I'm quite okay with that as I already informed you that I will only be back to Malaysia next month.

As for the ram, I think you've might be mistaken as it has been delivered and passed to the Tech team since Tuesday. You might want to check with Azim once he's back about that.
nyunyu
post Apr 27 2018, 06:35 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ Apr 27 2018, 01:00 PM)
My apologies for mislooking the RAM you sent in, let me check with Azim about that.
I received confirmation that my order has been setup and ready for shipping. It turns out that 1)there was miscommunication regarding the status of my ram. It has been indeed delivered last Tuesday. 2)I overpaid. Seems my doubts was indeed right whereas I should be charged cash price and not normal price as I paid cash. So now I have RM291 in store credit. Anyone interested?

QUOTE(Cimo @ Apr 27 2018, 03:53 PM)
Just wondering, why don't Illegear establish drivers/firmware support page where users could download them on their own, something like what Dell, MSI or Asus provide on their website.
Yes, I fully agree.
nyunyu
post Apr 28 2018, 06:55 AM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(AZIM@ILLEGEAR @ Apr 27 2018, 07:23 PM)
Hi nyunyu I believe that the miscommunication was caused since there was multiple amendments (for example: HDD change request from 1TB 7200rpm to Seagate SSHD, stock RAM -> G.SKILL -> no RAM -> custom RAM) that were requested & have been performed on your order in regards to the components. There was also quite a lot of back and forth going on between the assembly line and the order processing team (multiple work orders have been generated too) in completing the order and since there were multiple people that handled your order, some miscommunications have occurred but I believe we have resolved the issue. Will follow-up with you regarding the store credit via WhatsApp.

As for the drivers, we are indeed in the process of revamping the official website and the download links will be featured on Support tab soon smile.gif
Hi Azim, glad to see you're back. Yep, a lot of requests was made during the preorder before the retail units arrived and also due to ram availability at the time. Anyhow, glad to have this matter sorted out now. Looking forward to get my hand on the laptop once I'm home later.
nyunyu
post May 1 2018, 11:26 AM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 29 2018, 07:35 PM)
Nope, TongFang "barebones", and a review of a similar device (the XMG Neo 15) should be up on Notebookcheck as soon as XMG finishes tweaking their unit, which is pretty much just an Onyx with slightly different keyboard caps and a sandblasted metal outer finish (we've got a brushed metal finish).

Also, in China there's the Mechrevo (which is simply TongFang's retail division) Z2, and the MechNike F117 Break: both silver-coloured versions of the Onyx (and both not available outside of China, hence expect Chinese-language reviews only).

Plus, my own full review is OTW.

As for ambient temps I believe I measured the external temps of the Illegear display unit running Furmark with a IR Thermometer already a few pages back. Short version, nothing beyond 50c back OR front. Will do it again for my unit but I don't think there's gonna be much deviation.

As for proc CPU/GPU internal temps, I'll get back to you later once I'm finished with my review.
Looking at NEO 15, WOW, wonder when we would expect a 144Hz screen for Onyx. That matte black..is just gorgeous.
Eiraku, mind to share what is the thickness at the front and the back of this laptop? Just want to judge how thin it is compared to other thin laptop.
nyunyu
post May 1 2018, 01:45 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ May 1 2018, 12:07 PM)
Eyeballing it I'd say 20+cm (including the rubber feet) at the thickest point seems about right, but I haven't had time to measure and confirm yet. I know it's thicker then the S5X/P950HR, at least (and to that end, thicker then the GS63 series), but not by too much.
Cheers. 20mm at the thickest part seem reasonable. Just that the picture doesn't do justice.
Looking forward for your review, interested to know how long does it lasts on battery power.
nyunyu
post May 3 2018, 07:52 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

I wonder if I can buy those xmg keycaps.
nyunyu
post May 5 2018, 04:03 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ May 5 2018, 01:53 PM)

As promised, the video on the Onyx's keyboard and also the Fan Boost (aka the fan at full speed). Please excuse the static in the background and the slightly dark video (I need to get myself better equipment, plus this is my first time churning out a video), but otherwise I'd say the sound is pretty representative of what you'd hear in use (expecially if you're using headphones to view the video).

So yeah, normal typing force initially and then harder typing. There's that Windows beep there too (somewhere on the middle) to give you a reference point of sound levels  (unintended but pretty helpful lol).

ALSO, the I had the laptop on a really wobbly plastic container (only "base"I had around that was free) so don't mind the laptop wobbling around while I was punching the keys hard.

And, just to reiterate, that fan doesn't sound like that ALL the time.

Oh, and I managed to film Onyx disassembly for upgrades/maintenance as well. As I can junk the sound on that one you can look forward to a less static-y video when I'm done with it.
Dang! That's louder than my blue switch mech desktop keyboard. Can we change the switch?
nyunyu
post Oct 1 2018, 03:55 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(kelwenXCX @ Oct 1 2018, 03:04 PM)
Hi guys, I just purchased a new Onyx but I noticed that the speed of the processor is around 2.2-ish even when I'm not running anything. Is this normal and would undervolting be recommended for this model?
Are you on battery or plugged in? Check your power setting.
I have mine 5% on battery and 100% on power.
Attached Image
nyunyu
post Oct 3 2018, 04:17 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(Winn@Illegear @ Oct 3 2018, 12:52 PM)
user posted image

ILLEGEAR is now Intel Platinum Partner! Our goal is to work closely with Intel to bring the latest and most advance Intel platform devices to all the gamers out there.  biggrin.gif
Does this means we as customer can redeem intel starter pack?
nyunyu
post Oct 11 2018, 07:42 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

Is the new laptop thinner than onyx? TKL keyboard layout? MaxQ graphic or RTX?
nyunyu
post Oct 12 2018, 01:38 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(jrlogger @ Oct 11 2018, 08:12 PM)
Impossible to be thinner than the onyx to have a mechanical keyboard and cool an i9 la tongue.gif

I'm guessing it's a 17 inch version of the onyx.
Haha..wouldn't mind something like blade 15 tbh even it has normal keyboard.

This post has been edited by nyunyu: Oct 12 2018, 01:40 PM
nyunyu
post Oct 12 2018, 02:34 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(jrlogger @ Oct 12 2018, 01:52 PM)
Haha, I thought you already have the Onyx, just wait for next gen to upgrade tongue.gif
Yep, already have the Onyx, its a love-hate relationship. tongue.gif
nyunyu
post Oct 19 2018, 07:43 AM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

I see that Selenite has Windows Hello camera, is the camera in Onyx not capable for Windows Hello?
nyunyu
post Oct 19 2018, 02:28 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ Oct 19 2018, 12:30 PM)
Hi nyunyu,

We tried that but the ONYX bezel is slightly thinner than selenite so it cannot fit windows hello camera.
Yeah, on 2nd look it seems there is a slight curve on the camera bezel compared to onyx.
Nvm, just a feature that is nice to have but not essential.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0605sec    0.23    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:24 PM