Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Science To pursue PhD or not

views

malz89
post Aug 6 2020, 04:02 PM

On my way
526 posts

QUOTE(issac96 @ Aug 6 2020, 10:59 AM)
Hi, I have the same situation as TS’. I’ve just finished with my degree, wanting to continue master. I approached my lecturer to seek for this advice, he instead asked me to consider  fast track PhD since my CGPA is sufficient to go that path. But I’m not sure if I should do fast track PhD because Ihave these 2 choices:
Master : MSc in Economics and Finance (University of Bristol)
PhD: Considering to do Blockchain technology and Big Data.

Any output is welcomed and I will be more than grateful for your opinion. Thanks in advance!
Fast track if you have a scholarship, or else just try out masters before deciding to pursue a PhD.

PhD is a different kind of game. You can go for fast track but you would be lost for the first year, or you may even end up without a degree.
syunsn P
post Aug 11 2020, 07:24 PM

Probation
22 posts

QUOTE(radhapro @ May 15 2020, 06:37 AM)
If you’re smart enough to do a PhD, then you must be smart enough not to it.
Just heard someone say that, haha. If you are passionate enough, go for it.
My Prof said the same thing, the intelligent wouldn't pursue their PhDs. Unless you want to become a slave to the academia and be under the publish or perish rule.

I'm in my 6th, and boy it's one hell of an adventure. Not for the faint-hearted.
cy91
post Sep 4 2020, 04:06 PM

Regular
1,294 posts

So... TS done ur PhD already or not?
Pakatan SinMa Plus
post Sep 7 2020, 05:04 PM

Regular
1,123 posts

QUOTE(cy91 @ Sep 4 2020, 04:06 PM)
So... TS done ur PhD already or not?
Yea, interested to know if TS has selected and completed the PhD journey or not. smile.gif
weomentor P
post May 6 2022, 11:09 PM

Probation
5 posts

I took 3.5 years to finish my Ph.D, full time. Passed my Viva December last year, after a 4 hour 'grilling'.

I do have to say it's a very different ball game compared to masters. You might have a supervisor, but in many cases you are so deep into your own rabbit hole, your supervisor wont be able to help much.

It doesn't help that not too many people are interested to hear about your research, unless they are in the same field, and have interest similar or close enough to yours.

It can be a lonely, arduous journey. I have also seen many of my mates that started with me ended up dropping out.

But when you actually finish it, you know you are one tough mf that refused to give up.
ZZR-Pilot
post May 24 2022, 11:38 AM

Regular
1,049 posts

I had a brunch with my supervisor yesterday at E&O before my convo today.

I told her while I see the value of continuing my graduate research at the postgrad level, it remains an indulgence that will hv to wait till I retire at 56.

Meanwhile... now that I'm at a stage in my career where I need to do management work at the strategic level, I feel the need to do my MBA.

Her suggestion is that since I already hv a graduate degree & a solid grasp of mgmt processes at the executional & tactical level, I might as well do a DBA (Doctorate in Business Admin).

Anybody did a DBA before?
anon118
post Aug 3 2022, 11:52 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(ZZR-Pilot @ May 24 2022, 11:38 AM)
I had a brunch with my supervisor yesterday at E&O before my convo today.

I told her while I see the value of continuing my graduate research at the postgrad level, it remains an indulgence that will hv to wait till I retire at 56.

Meanwhile... now that I'm at a stage in my career where I need to do management work at the strategic level, I feel the need to do my MBA.

Her suggestion is that since I already hv a graduate degree & a solid grasp of mgmt processes at the executional & tactical level, I might as well do a DBA (Doctorate in Business Admin).

Anybody did a DBA before?
I don't have it, but I've been thinking about it.

After reading various posts here, I'm thinking of Googling "Fastest & Cheapest Doctorate" and get it done...
I don't think I can spend 4 years doing for it.

I think it is about "why you want it?" icon_rolleyes.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:12 PM