Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Acer Aspire S13 VS Asus Zenbook UX305UA

views

TSDisclaimernotice
post Jul 26 2016, 04:05 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Jul 25 2016, 12:18 AM)
Just to add...the S13 at about 3.8k gets you i7, matte touch screen, and bigger battery...
Wow I hadn't realised the i7 version of the aspire s13 had touch and a bigger battery. I was originally going to get the i5 for better battery life but now factoring in the touch screen and presumably equal battery life, I think I'll get the i7 version.

Btw thanks for all your input guys.
dwRK
post Jul 29 2016, 08:42 PM

the consummate chartist
5,114 posts

received the s13 i5 version yesterday...

screen is bright...brighter than my xps13 at both low and high settings...imho brighter than the asus...gamut appears to be very wide...my gut feel is that it covers sRGB easily...color appears to be very accurate too...I simply adore this screen...will check calibration over the weekend...but I think adjustments are not required

the power button position and accidental shutting down is a non-issue...it can start but its disabled for the normal quick press power off...only works for hard shutdown when something goes wrong and a long press will launch the acer power button option utility

the backlit keyboard is ok...not as even as my xps...but works fine enough...

battery life is very good...

speaker sound is awesome...

the cooling fan when it does kick in has a high pitch whine...can be distracting at times

overall i'm very happy with the s13...imho this is a best buy...very great value...

This post has been edited by dwRK: Jul 29 2016, 09:30 PM
PhakFuhZai
post Aug 29 2016, 11:02 PM

harimau putih
1,587 posts

at the same price range, Acer is able to offer core i5 while zenbook is able to provide core M5 only
the100308
post Sep 3 2016, 12:56 PM

Regular
1,849 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Jul 29 2016, 08:42 PM)
received the s13 i5 version yesterday...

screen is bright...brighter than my xps13 at both low and high settings...imho brighter than the asus...gamut appears to be very wide...my gut feel is that it covers sRGB easily...color appears to be very accurate too...I simply adore this screen...will check calibration over the weekend...but I think adjustments are not required

the power button position and accidental shutting down is a non-issue...it can start but its disabled for the normal quick press power off...only works for hard shutdown when something goes wrong and a long press will launch the acer power button option utility

the backlit keyboard is ok...not as even as my xps...but works fine enough...

battery life is very good...

speaker sound is awesome...

the cooling fan when it does kick in has a high pitch whine...can be distracting at times

overall i'm very happy with the s13...imho this is a best buy...very great value...
Mind share your actual experience with normal battery life?

dwRK
post Sep 3 2016, 01:34 PM

the consummate chartist
5,114 posts

QUOTE(the100308 @ Sep 3 2016, 12:56 PM)
Mind share your actual experience with normal battery life?
Can't say for sure...initial few hours setting it up and playing around for a few more...battery drops very little...about same like xps...so should last I estimate 7-8hrs office type work and surfing...passed to my kid after setting it up...haven't seen it since laugh.gif
AskarPerang
post Sep 3 2016, 06:29 PM

~tUPaI...~
All Stars
23,136 posts

Got the Acer Aspire S13 basic spec as well. Speaker is definitely loud compare to other similar ultrabook. So far so good. Just that the keyboard a bit shallow and the power button is part of the keyboard. expect it to have an actual button. Ordered a keyboard protector via ebay. Hope I got the correct cutout version.

acer got so many apps installed. dont think they are essential. just uninstall all.
wallacetan
post Sep 3 2016, 09:17 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(AskarPerang @ Sep 3 2016, 06:29 PM)
Got the Acer Aspire S13 basic spec as well. Speaker is definitely loud compare to other similar ultrabook. So far so good. Just that the keyboard a bit shallow and the power button is part of the keyboard. expect it to have an actual button. Ordered a keyboard protector via ebay. Hope I got the correct cutout version.

acer got so many apps installed. dont think they are essential. just uninstall all.
Acer introduces new series these days.

Acer Swift 7 (RM4k)
Acer Swift 5 (RM3k)
Acer Swift 3 (RM2k)
Acer Swift 1 (RM1k)

Enough said : http://www.soyacincau.com/2016/08/31/acer-...ptop-under-1cm/
darrenlfw87
post Sep 27 2016, 07:10 PM

Getting Started
144 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Jul 11 2016, 09:04 PM)
I just bought Asus Zenbook UX305UA few days back. RM3,999 at ASUS shop 2nd floor Lowyat plaza. 2 years international warranty.

So far i am liking it due to it's lightweight (1.35kg) and long battery life (tested personally can last ~7hours of normal office works/web browsing + wifi ON and at 60% brightness).
Screen is nice but i am not doing any serious photoshop/video editing so no need for glossy IPS 1080p display.
Fan noise is really inaudible. Heat management wise, the laptop stayed cool throughout the day.

SSD boot up from cold start is fast (~11 seconds).
SSD boot up from sleep (opening the closed lid) is fast too (~1 second)
So far I haven't really shutdown the laptop. Just let it sleep via closing the lid.
Did not experience any problem where got people say when pressing Power button cannot wake up the laptop.

So no problem but as for me, for as long as you don't PUSH the machine too much or take great care of the machine, i am sure your laptop will server you long (~4-5 years).

For example, i have my HP Envy 17 bought in 2011. Still rocking to these day.
My usage on it: heavy photoshop/video editing, office work & web browsing.

No i don't play games on my Laptop because i have my Playstation3 for that purpose.

the reason i bought ASUS zenbook UX305UA is to have a 2nd laptop which requires me to be mobile. My HP Envy 17 that weigh 3.3 kg will definitely kill my back in the long run.  rclxub.gif

This is my first time using a laptop that runs on SSD, which the difference is earth & sky compare to using mechanical HDD on my Envy 17.  thumbup.gif

This laptop does not have backlit keyboard or USB-C port, which might be a deal breaker to some, but for my normal office usage and i don't work in poor lighting condition which will kill your eye, i don't even care if don't have backlit keyboard or not.  yawn.gif

I also did a comprehensive research on Acer S13. Apparently one youtuber bought it and say she quoted:

"However, I have problem with my screen display as checked box always appears by random patches on my screen from time to time."

The rest she said the performance is similar to ASUS zenbook UX305UA.

My recommendation: get the ASUS UX305UA.
should i buy from the same shop as u? they got give extra extra discounts? looking for asus tooooooo
shirogawawa
post Sep 27 2016, 08:19 PM

Laptop enthusiast
2,383 posts

QUOTE(darrenlfw87 @ Sep 27 2016, 07:10 PM)
should i buy from the same shop as u? they got give extra extra discounts? looking for asus tooooooo
yes . shop will give discount, tongue.gif
Zaryl
post Sep 27 2016, 09:22 PM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,523 posts

QUOTE(darrenlfw87 @ Sep 27 2016, 07:10 PM)
yes go for it.

I think by now the price should have dropped a bit.

Am using it and so far i am very satisfied. icon_rolleyes.gif
darrenlfw87
post Sep 27 2016, 09:29 PM

Getting Started
144 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Sep 27 2016, 09:22 PM)
yes go for it.

I think by now the price should have dropped a bit.

Am using it and so far i am very satisfied.  icon_rolleyes.gif
alright thanks!
EpsilonStar
post Sep 28 2016, 05:04 PM

Regular
1,223 posts

QUOTE(KidsCode @ Jul 25 2016, 02:58 PM)
I recommend Envy i7, as I'm using one. The price I bought was RM 3.6K with the discount from Lazada still with the 2 years warranty.

You will love the QHD+ screen.
hows the battery life of the envy 13?
KidsCode
post Sep 28 2016, 05:18 PM

-----NoLimits!-----
Group Icon
Elite
6,649 posts

Didn't really measure or notice. Best example is that watching 4 -5 English series with still batter remaining (means not totally dead)

Sorry can't help as I don't use it until that level. I know from review alot mentioned that the battery is small.
shirogawawa
post Sep 28 2016, 05:30 PM

Laptop enthusiast
2,383 posts

QUOTE(EpsilonStar @ Sep 28 2016, 05:04 PM)
hows the battery life of the envy 13?
WiFi Surfing v1.3 (Edge 20.10240.16384.0)
5h 24min
gtfan
post Nov 5 2016, 05:39 PM

Enthusiast
932 posts

Got the Acer aspire s13 i5 with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd from gemfive with nice discount. Close to rm2.8k. The cheapest so far after surveyed many shops.

This post has been edited by gtfan: Nov 5 2016, 05:40 PM
seen
post Dec 10 2016, 11:52 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(wallacetan @ Sep 3 2016, 09:17 PM)
Acer introduces new series these days.

Acer Swift 7 (RM4k)
Acer Swift 5 (RM3k)
Acer Swift 3 (RM2k)
Acer Swift 1 (RM1k)

Enough said : http://www.soyacincau.com/2016/08/31/acer-...ptop-under-1cm/
Where can you get Acer Swift 7 at RM4k?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0174sec    0.39    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:32 AM