Hi all. On 31 May, the upcoming telco, Webe, had launched an event which is called "The Looping QR Code"
However, after some investigations on the "Looping QR Code" image, it was suspected that the event is in fact a scam.
Before I proceed to show my evidences, you may need to know some keywords. Google on it so that you understand what I'm talking about.
1. What is an .gif image and how it is formed?
2. What is frame rate?
3. CRC32 and checksum.
This image was posted around 10 a.m.
It consists of 200 frames, and it is of 0.1 sec per frame.
The winner was Hafizul Asyhraf. At the moment I was not there, so I missed out the event.
So before Day 2 of the event, I analyse the image posted on Day 1.
I split the .gif image into individual frames. Now the problem is, how to filter out the QR Code which is Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and Samsung Gear S2.
Way to do it:
1. Go to: http://gifmaker.me/exploder/
, upload the image and wait for the images to be splitted.
2. Download the .zip file once it is done. ( If you are lazy, here it is: http://www.filedropper.com/code1
3. Open it with WinRaR.
4. Order the files by "CRC32"
5. Delete the duplicated files with same CRC32 value. So now the only unique file is "tmp-79.gif" and "tmp-105.gif" and "tmp-0.gif". ( The reason I delete the duplicated file is because it is most probably a dummy code, which consists of no prizes or the prizes are not as big as the free phones. )
6. It is speculated that "tmp-79.gif" and "tmp-105.gif" are the big prizes because most probably people wouldn't put the big prize on the first frame.
So then, my friend and I are ready to spam on the 2 codes once it is 12.00 a.m.
This image was posted on 12.15 a.m. , and it consists of 512 frames, 0.05 sec per frame.
We scanned the codes at 12.17 a.m. However, we got a message "Operation failed, No quota available."
Then, we scanned on other codes, but it shows a long message saying that the event was over for today. ( If anyone has the screenshot please add on below. )
Then, I analysed the code on Day 2, (here is the file: http://www.filedropper.com/code2
So now the codes of big prizes are "tmp-271.gif" and "tmp-511.gif". After the verification, it was found that the two codes were same as the codes on Day 1.
At the moment, we were very confirm that the 2 codes were indeed the free gadgets. We thought that the codes were scanned by someone else, who know this technique.
By then, we wait until the next day
There was no image updated by Webe. However, we have been scanning the codes "tmp-271.gif" and "tmp-511.gif". The message shown was same as on Day 2. "Operation failed, No quota available." . The scanning process was made from 11.50 p.m. until 12.30 a.m. We didn't win any prizes. No one mentioned that he/she won.
Same as Day 3. This time I have obtained a conversation from an user.
Webe didn't reply him. But then, he replied to a comment on its page.
It is suspected that Webe was trying to cover its fake event, therefore, they changed a new code on 5.02pm.
(Here you go: http://www.filedropper.com/code3
After this image was analysed, only "tmp-271.gif" and "tmp-0.gif" are unique. "tmp-0.gif" has been tested to be a point prize. So this time they reduced number of free gadgets to 1.
"tmp-271.gif" was scanned 20 minutes later. The message shown was "QR code expired." And again, no one admit that he won the prizes.
So I had a conversation with webe:
And according to them, there are 2 different codes in the 3rd images, which are Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and Samsung S2 Gear. But there is only one unique code found. Where is the another code? Are they trying to lower the chances so that the unique code is not scanned so fast? And planning to give explanation that the free gadgets was scanned? Without any announcement of the winners?
So here is my last questions to Webe, if you are trying to announce a fake winner list.
1. If the codes were scanned immediately at 12.00 a.m. by other people , even faster than us, so why you didn't take action on him/her ? Since the code is so-called "looping", how can he/she scan so fast? Shouldn't you suspecting him/her for cheating? If he/she was found guilty, why no announcement was made? Shouldn't you forward the quota of free gadgets to next day?
If you can prove me wrong, definitely I will apologize to you. Or else, I'm expecting some compensations not just for me, but also all webe members who were trying so hard to get the prizes, camping whole midnight to wait for your post.
Thank you for reading. If there is any mistake made in the post, please notify me.
#Update: Sorry forget to mention something. "tmp-271.gif" was scanned at Day 5, 12.00 a.m. until 12.30 a.m. as well. And it's scanned out as well. So there are total of 4 days where I didn't manage to win any prizes. That's why I'm suspicious of the event.
#Note: This is just an post to persuade Webe to give an explanation to my findings, to prove themselves the contest is real and legal. All users have the rights to know what is really happening. If my evidences are proven to be wrong, of course I will delete it.
This post has been edited by JustToReport: Jun 5 2016, 08:33 PM