Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Yugi work out journal

views

TSyugimudo
post May 27 2016, 01:04 PM, updated 8y ago

YugiX
506 posts

My journal like others, to record the development and maybe get a free advice on my routine. I will share useful tips if I have any but Im just a noob so, just make it a friendly discussion biggrin.gif

Prologue: In 2011~12 during my final year, during my boredom, I stumbled upon the fitness and bodybuilding world. Not fit myself, it is astonishing to see people with these amazing body display. So, with free gym as amenities at my uni, I was visiting frequently back then. My gain never really shown and I suspect is due to diet. It is hard to make your own food when u dun have a fridge to store your food. My weight is around 85kg.

After graduate, I stopped visiting gym but I still have my dumbbell, 2 unit maximum weigh of 8kg per dumbbell. Those dumbbell collect dust from 2013 through 2015. Stress from my work make my life a bit chaotic.

Then, starting of this year I decided to regain back my life and going back on track. I am still at time very shy to to gym, so I just modify the dumbbell with broom stick to become mock barbell. My weight is at 102kg. I started to jog every Sunday. Then I make a goal which until now yet achieved (but at 80% completion) to be able to do chin up.

It is not until this month, I have the courage to visit the gym at my place, which is a budget gym, not a big name gym. To my relieve, the entry fee is cheap, not as expensive as I imagine it to be. I start a program from an app called Total Fitness which I accidentally bought a full version. It is a full body program for 3 days. It utilize every part of the body each day.

My first day at gym was fantastic. Got many people who have amazing physique and strength. The best part is there is no "trainer" that approach me to sell their program. It was a good feeling. My body started to remember the ache that I once had regularly.

For this week, I am trying a new program from the app coz some youtuber advice to mix the exercise so your body will not adapt to your program.

I will share it after lunch. I also will share my diet.

P/S: Yesterday is my leg day, sore like hell but feel good mang biggrin.gif

TSyugimudo
post May 27 2016, 06:02 PM

YugiX
506 posts

Just a bit more information before my work out

Stats:173cm-99.6kg-35% BF

Goal: Able to chin up 1 rep clean
If Im able to do a chin up, its either my weight have decrease or my strength increase. So, a good short term goal that is measurable.

Diet plan: Cut all sugary drink. Eat less rice. Eat less karipap. Add date vinegar, yogurt drink, honey, Chia seed, flax seed, raw brocolli to my diet.

For multivitamin, I drink Horlick. I usually make Horlick + Oatmeal as breakfast or as my fast food.

Then my main protein is chicken, egg and fish. Sometime I will roast lamb shoulder. No shake.

For training day, I will increase protein intake.

I also in progress of learning to track calorie intake accurately but from the app I am in the safe zone.

My training on Tuesday

This week I had started new program. The app said it was done by Henry Cavil for his role in Superman. It is 3 day workout with specific body part, different than my previous program.

Bench press (15kg): 10-10-8-8

Bent row (15kg): 10-10-8-8

Incline press (15kg): 10-10-8-8

Lat pulldown (??kg): 10-10-8-8

Dumbell press (7.5kg/dumbbell): 10-10-8-8

One arm dumbbell rows (7.5kg/dumbbell): 10-10-8-8

Dumbbell flys (7.5kg/dumbbell): 10-10-8-8

Bent over lateral raises (4kg/ kettle bell): 10-10-8-8

Remarks: I use low weight as this program require a lot of set and work out. I try to avoid excessive weigth because on last program, my shoulder joint feel some nagging pain. Thankfully, the pain has gone but I am not trying to injure my shoulder.

My training on Thursday

My schedule is Tuesday, 7pm~9pm, Thursday, 7pm~9pm and Saturday 7.30am~9.30am. Cardio on Sunday morning. This is the most optimal time for my gym time. I usually rest 1 minute between set and 2~3 minute between exercise (thanks Amedion icon_rolleyes.gif ).

Squat (30kg): 12-10-8-8

Hanging leg raise: 12-12-12-12

lunges (7.5kg/dumbbell): 12-10-8-8

Broomstick twist : 20-20-20-20

lying leg curls (??kg): 12-10-8-8

Dumbbell side bends (7.5kg/dumbbell): 20-20-20-20

Calf exercise (30kg): 12-10-8-8

Abs machine: 20-20-20-20

Leg extension (??kg): 12-10-8-8

Remarks: The target for yesterday is leg and abs. I seem be able to finish it, so I will try to increase the weight a bit.

This post has been edited by yugimudo: May 28 2016, 01:47 PM
TSyugimudo
post May 28 2016, 12:26 PM

YugiX
506 posts

My training on Saturday

Curl Biceps (10kg/dumbbell): 12-10-8-8

One arm dumbbell triceps extensions (7.5kg/dumbbell): 12-10-8-8

Bent over lateral raises (4kg/kettle bell): 12-10-8-8

Barbell shrugs (20kg): 12-10-8-8

Hammer curls (7.5kg/dumbbell): 12-10-8-8

Triceps kickbacks (7.5kg/dumbbell): 20-20-20-20

Low pulley curls (40kg): 12-10-8-8

Push downs: (40kg): 12-10-8-8

Extra: Butterfly press (40kg): 8-8-8

Remarks: Target for today is shoulder, triceps and biceps. If the sore is not that bad, I will increase the load a bit.

This post has been edited by yugimudo: May 28 2016, 12:26 PM
Amedion
post May 28 2016, 01:23 PM

It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's star
3,377 posts

FYI, Horlick itself is a sugary drink. Sugar is not a poison. I'm just pointing it out.

What do you mean you rest 1-min per rep? I guess you meant rest 1-min per set and 2-3 mins per exercise?

I would suggest you bump up the weight and do less reps. Increase your strength with low rep workout since you don't build muscle with hypertrophy training as you're at calorie deficit.
TSyugimudo
post May 28 2016, 01:46 PM

YugiX
506 posts

QUOTE(Amedion @ May 28 2016, 01:23 PM)
FYI, Horlick itself is a sugary drink. Sugar is not a poison. I'm just pointing it out.

What do you mean you rest 1-min per rep? I guess you meant rest 1-min per set and 2-3 mins per exercise?

I would suggest you bump up the weight and do less reps. Increase your strength with low rep workout since you don't build muscle with hypertrophy training as you're at calorie deficit.
Thank you about the correction about the rep, will change it.

Yep, horlicks and the yogurt drink do contain sugar. The one that I am avoiding more is those gas drink like coke, pepsi and fruit drinks. Im kind of person that buy 1.5 liter bottle as it more cost efficient but Im also efficient in finishing that bottle. I think that is one of the cause my weight increased so much.

About the volume vs intensity, I will take note your advice for next programming. This 3 days program is supposedly used by Henry Cavil for superman role, Im just trying it out biggrin.gif

But yeah, I am still open to suggestion on the next work out program. I am not that rigid, doing the lifting to reduce body fat and gain some strength to do the chin up biggrin.gif
Miracles
post May 28 2016, 02:37 PM

★ Detective /K ★
1,171 posts

You should really stick to 1 workout program for at least 3-months perhaps depending on your goals.

Change your routine when you no longer are making sweet sweet gainz or it is no longer in line with your goals.

In terms of new ones, again it depends on your goals. Lets say you start with SL 5x5 and want to go into bodybuilding then push pull legs is king, if you wanted to into powerlifitng then 5/3/1 is good.
TSyugimudo
post May 28 2016, 02:51 PM

YugiX
506 posts

QUOTE(Miracles @ May 28 2016, 02:37 PM)
You should really stick to 1 workout program for at least 3-months perhaps depending on your goals.

Change your routine when you no longer are making sweet sweet gainz or it is no longer in line with your goals.

In terms of new ones, again it depends on your goals. Lets say you start with SL 5x5 and want to go into bodybuilding then push pull legs is king, if you wanted to into powerlifitng then 5/3/1 is good.
Ok. I just wanted to test the Superman workout. I will take a break from gym during ramadhan and do free weight at home.

So, in the mean time, I want to do some theory crafting on which program I should do after raya.

My experience in the gym this month is really fun. The crowd is quite lively, gym equipment is functioning.

Regarding SL 5x5, seem like a good starting point. Will you recommend routine like this or you have other routine to suggest?
Miracles
post May 28 2016, 02:56 PM

★ Detective /K ★
1,171 posts

QUOTE(yugimudo @ May 28 2016, 02:51 PM)
Ok. I just wanted to test the Superman workout. I will take a break from gym during ramadhan and do free weight at home.

So, in the mean time, I want to do some theory crafting on which program I should do after raya.

My experience in the gym this month is really fun. The crowd is quite lively, gym equipment is functioning.

Regarding SL 5x5, seem like a good starting point. Will you recommend routine like this or you have other routine to suggest?
Forgive me, what I meant was Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Not SL.

Either way, you can try this website and do a bit of research. biggrin.gif

http://www.rohitnair.net/

Some of the routines are not up-to-date in the site. Google the routine for latest one.
TSyugimudo
post May 28 2016, 03:24 PM

YugiX
506 posts

QUOTE(Miracles @ May 28 2016, 02:56 PM)
Forgive me, what I meant was Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.  Not SL.

Either way, you can try this website and do a bit of research.  biggrin.gif

http://www.rohitnair.net/

Some of the routines are not up-to-date in the site. Google the routine for latest one.
From some reading, the routine mainly focused on compound movement. I like that. I think if you are working out at gym, compound exercise is the most efficient thing that you can do there.

I will start these work out after raya.

But I need to know 1 thing, how do you measure max rep? I mean, do you measure before starting any workout or just do estimation from your workout?
TSyugimudo
post May 29 2016, 03:18 PM

YugiX
506 posts

Cardio Sunday

Tried to use app to do HIIT. The ratio was 30 second running hard, 1 minute jog/walk for 10 cycle. End in around 17 minute.

Not much different from my usual 30 minutes jog but hopes it will bring good results.

I will log my weight every Sunday. Now I am at 98.8kg. I target to be around 80kg. If lower than that, I will change calorie in take to maintain at 80 or start a bulking routine.

Still can't do chin up and my deadline is next week. Will update again for Tuesday session.

P/s: I want to abandon the Superman program. The program is good for toning but my condition benefit more from compound exercises. I will plan for 5x5 program. Next week will be the last week at gym before pausing for Ramadan.
TSyugimudo
post Jun 1 2016, 08:23 PM

YugiX
506 posts

Late update, busy at work.

Tuesday Workout: Pre Ramadhan.

Squats (28kg): 5-5-5-5-5

Bench Press (23kg): 5-5-5-5-5

Barbell row (23kg): 5-5-5-5-5

Barbell shrugs (23kg): 8-8-8

Triceps extensions (skull crusher) (25kg): 8-8-8

Barbell curls (20kg): 8-8-8

Hypertension: 8-8-8

Cable crunches : 8-8-8

Extra:

Broomstick ab workout: 20-20-20-30-30

Ab crunch machine: 12-12-12

Plank (normal): 20sec-20sec-10sec-10sec

HIIT on bike: 1:2 ratio (workout:rest) for 30sec:1minute at 10 cycle.

Remarks: I was sick, got a mild cold. Using that as a reason to do lighter weight.

This is 5X5 by Jason Blaha. I will use this as a after Raya work out. Im seeing results and looking forward to maintain my momentum.
TSyugimudo
post Jun 3 2016, 09:37 AM

YugiX
506 posts

Thursday workout

Squats (28kg): 5-5-5-5-5

Deadlift (28kg): 5-5-5-5-5

Press (18kg): 8-8-8

Barbell row at 90%(15.5kg): 5-5-5-5-5

Close Grip Bench Press (18kg): 8-8-8

Extra:

Remarks: Still not feeling well. Visible changes in face puffiness. Almost visible reduction on waist fat, will take measurement on Sunday.

Seem like tomorrow will be my last gym day. In Ramadhan, I will do a freeweight challenge from the app I download. I am still not sure how to do cardio, maybe I will do the running in 1 place method.
TSyugimudo
post Jun 5 2016, 10:24 AM

YugiX
506 posts

Satuday Workout: Pre Ramadhan.

Squats (30.5kg): 5-5-5-5-5

Bench Press (23kg): 5-5-5-5-5

Barbell row (23kg): 5-5-5-5-5

Barbell shrugs (23kg): 8-8-8

Triceps extensions (skull crusher) (25kg): 8-8-8

Extra:

Remarks: Doing it mildly as I still has runny nose. This is my last gym session before the break.

TSyugimudo
post Jun 5 2016, 10:34 AM

YugiX
506 posts

Cardio Sunday.

17 minutes HIIT.

43 minutes walking with lite jogging.

Remarks: At the park I use to go have a bar that u can use to chin up. That is the place I use to check my chin up progress. Already at 95% mark. Still have a bit before saying it is a clean rep. Maybe losing more weight and adding upper body strength.

An unfortunate thing also happen, some theif had open my motorcycle box and stole my wallet. All my ID and card lost with some money. Feel a bit sad and also angry coz it will cost me a hassle to reproduce back all my card. But it did not dissuade me from doing cardio in the future. Just that i need to be more careful of these creep.

Ok, now for updated stats:

Weight: 97.5kg . Losing those fat.
Bodyfat: web calculation is 28% , my scale using electro sensor give a 33%. Both is arguably incorrect but I can use it as reference.

Waist: 102.5cm. I am aimming to lose a few more cm so that my gut look close to flat.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.50    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:51 PM