9 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> AV Receivers/ Speakers/ Subwoofers, Discussion & Opinion

views

sonerin
post Feb 9 2016, 01:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

To be fair each brand has their own strength and weakness. Sometimes is not just the matter of size. Sound without characteric / tune is basically is just noise
sonerin
post Feb 9 2016, 04:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Feb 9 2016, 04:00 PM)
user posted image

Sony SS-CS5   smile.gif
I have not heard the sound for this speaker. Cannot comment on it. For small bookshelf I personally like q acoustics
sonerin
post Feb 9 2016, 04:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Feb 9 2016, 04:48 PM)
I am more into movies than music...... brows.gif
Q acoustics are fine speakers for movies. If you read my comment just few posts on top
sonerin
post Feb 12 2016, 07:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

I support Yamaha as is local made
sonerin
post Feb 12 2016, 03:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(pokchik @ Feb 12 2016, 02:51 PM)
actually, as a non-audiophile, i failed to sense the problem(s) which come with Pioneer lower-end setup.
i recently browsed-thru Pioneer MY FB page, and the comments there were like..  doh.gif
probably will get a simple soundbar or that Sony BDV-9200 with wireless speakers.
If sound is not the important thing is ok to go with sound bar
sonerin
post Feb 13 2016, 07:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

If you want to go up one level better to go latest model
sonerin
post Feb 13 2016, 09:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

Well 379 is newer model is more worth to get it
sonerin
post Feb 15 2016, 07:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(myxery @ Feb 15 2016, 07:17 AM)
Mind to share what set of speaker to pair with yamaha avr?
You can try q acoustics.
sonerin
post Feb 15 2016, 05:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

1 pair of bookshelf should be below 2k.
sonerin
post Feb 16 2016, 09:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

For home theater the center speaker is the most important follow by front than the surrounds. Of course not to forget about sub. Movies cannot be without sub 😜
sonerin
post Feb 19 2016, 07:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Feb 19 2016, 02:16 AM)
The Core series speakers is ONLY selling in KLCC, for now (and the near future). Also, they need to be back ordered.

AFAIK, Sony Malaysia is planning to bring more units in.
Sony really trying to make a come back
sonerin
post Feb 19 2016, 06:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Feb 19 2016, 05:57 PM)
To be honest the only thing I trust about SONY was their smartphones.  nod.gif
I do support on their TV
sonerin
post Feb 19 2016, 08:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Feb 19 2016, 07:14 PM)
weakness is acceptable for its price. i decided
pls dont advertise too much, im buying it soon.
afraid out of stok like mcd toys or shell lego then no review from me.
cyber shot x walkman x xperia
No Atmos and no dts x. Feel like outdated avr
sonerin
post Feb 19 2016, 10:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Feb 19 2016, 10:03 PM)
Got plenty la, don't worry.
Show me a 1.4k AVR with Atmos or DTS X. tongue.gif

But on a serious note, their latest 1070 also doesn't include Atmos nor DTS X. Sadly. I think Sony missed the ball there.
Is true Sony kind miss when everyone is going at atmos
sonerin
post Feb 20 2016, 06:51 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Feb 19 2016, 10:15 PM)
Indeed, considering the 1070 will also cost 2.7k. If it supports Atmos (which if you look at design and specs, it's entirely capable of doing so), it'd pretty much murder the Onkyo 646.

Sony just don't want to pay for the licensing.
Very bad move
sonerin
post Feb 24 2016, 09:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Feb 20 2016, 04:31 PM)

For those who hasn't entered the world of Dolby Atmos like me....  sad.gif
If you really want to enter atmos you will need the over head speaker to be really using it
sonerin
post Feb 27 2016, 07:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(tharmaraj @ Feb 26 2016, 10:10 PM)
Again, thank you Sir for your advice. This is the advice I need instead wasting my money on cheap woofer. I guess I will stick with CS3 at the moment until I have enough $$$$ for a woofer.

Thanks again and have a good weekend  thumbup.gif

cheers
Raj
SVS will be your target
sonerin
post Mar 19 2016, 06:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(teop @ Mar 19 2016, 12:35 AM)
Hi newbie here using RX-V679. I need some advice on speakers setup.

1. How significant is a 5.1 vs 7.1 setup? Is it worth it especially considering that I would watch only 3 titles/year.

2. Is there a significant difference between using small surround speakers vs. larger ones?

3. Due to living room design, the most convenient location for my surround speakers is about 40/45 degrees behind listening position at 2.9m/2.5m distance. Is that ok or it would be much better to put it at 2/-2 degrees @ 2.2m/2.2m distance?

Thanks.
5.1 will do. Larger speaker is always better. SiZe does matter. The distant is best to keep within 2 meters as most likely your surround speaker size is small which is not enough if distance is far
sonerin
post Mar 20 2016, 06:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(teop @ Mar 20 2016, 01:49 AM)
Actually I'm not using a subwoofer, so it is really a 5.0 system, right? So far I'm happy with the loudness. I feel that my floor stand works pretty well. Casual listening is at -35db and if I blast it it will be at -25db. YPAO did add 2.5/1.5db to my surround.

Though I did notice that if placed closer, the sound is more distinct and easier to pin point. Not sure if that is a good or bad attribute.

Currently the sound coming from surround sound pretty neutral, as in evenly distributed, so it does not sound overly discrete.
But seriously, how many title comes out in a year that is worth watching where surround matters.
The rest of the time is either mostly listening to music daily or watching TV.
Thanks for having me.
When you say put to the side or rear do you mean physically, change channel (from surround to surround back) or both?

If you just shift the speakers for the surround channel further back, will YPAO/DSP know about it and makes adjustments accordingly? I don't want sound that is meant for the side to come out from the rear because it was placed too further back.
For the speaker size, I was actually referring the small/large size terms used in the AVR setup. Full range (or not full range) speakers, I think. Sorry for that. So the question is really whether full range speakers have a big impact when used for surround. Agree that the physical speaker/enclosure size don't matter when looking at performance rather than the design is more important.

Ya, looking for accurate setup can only be done by actually testing it. I was looking more for a rule-of-thumb/general setup advice based on the experience you guys have on what will or will not work and what matter and does not matters. Otherwise I would not know where to start and what to try. Just like how an experienced wire-man can tell roughly what wire size to use without calculating.
Hold on, you almost lost me with all the 3rd .number. Had to google those ceiling speakers, but I got your point.

Anyway I have my system setup in my living room, about 4.3m width x 5.9m x 3m high plaster ceiling. On my right-top half is solid brick/cement wall and the right-bottom half is open and connects to the dinning room. My listening position is in the center so I have about 3m of space behind me.

Not much in terms of furniture, bare walls and 3+2 sofa distributed on the left and right.

Thanks for all your feedback.

So I guess I'll just stick with 5.0 for now, only thing left to figure out is the surround speaker position.
Is good to have it close for surround as you mention is easier to pinpoint. You should hear the movement of sound like in actually know the direction. Speaker near ear level is most ideal.
sonerin
post Mar 20 2016, 02:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,466 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Mar 20 2016, 01:44 PM)
Surrounds shouldn't actually sound discrete, it shouldn't stand out more than your LCR unless the mix calls for it. But in most situations, the surrounds are there to provide an extension of the soundstage made by the mains, but NOT actually creating a soundstage of its own.

Don't fall into the same mistake where many new 5, 7 or however many channels owners do: raise the surround levels higher than the mains just because they thought they spent money on them and they should hear them as discrete sources. Then they come back and complain the whole soundstage sounds uncohesive and the whole fronts sound smeared or muffled.

This applies for games too btw, even competitive FPS ones. It doesn't mean hearing someone behind you louder is better, you then just lose details of those at the side or infront of you.
+1

9 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0640sec    0.79    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 5th December 2020 - 04:36 PM