13 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> AV Receivers/ Speakers/ Subwoofers, Discussion & Opinion

views

SSJBen
post Feb 8 2016, 12:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

A pair of cheap sats and sub at RM1200 max isn't going to get you anything much better than a decent soundbar to be quite honest. Suggest to get AVR + midrange bookshelves is a much better option. The well priced Sony SS-CS5 is an amazing pair at RM700. Yes I said Sony.
SSJBen
post Feb 11 2016, 09:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(pokchik @ Feb 11 2016, 12:07 PM)
currently having this

user posted image

with Pioneer VSX-821K

..and the receiver decides to hang up on me (that damned bugger couldn't go to standby mode!)

wonder if i can sell the speakers & subs off..  unsure.gif
Pioneer entry level stuff is subpar, always has been. They're known for their LX series of receivers, their VSX has always been failed products.

Keep the speakers, get a different receiver.
SSJBen
post Feb 12 2016, 02:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

Instead of the older v375, go for the v379 instead. Fits right into your budget.
SSJBen
post Feb 12 2016, 02:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Feb 12 2016, 03:22 AM)
Interesting and BIG too!  blush.gif
The 379 is a good entry level receiver, rest assured. The price is right, decent features, nice neutral-ish sound but still providing very decent punchy dynamics. There's really not much wrong with it.

QUOTE(pokchik @ Feb 12 2016, 09:19 AM)
it's a 4yrs' old setup.. RM3k last time.

Ben suggesting V379..? interesting.. will take a look too..  biggrin.gif
Yeah, if your budget is really only 1.3k+ or so, the 379 is a great fit.

QUOTE(radovantz @ Feb 12 2016, 09:57 AM)
It depends on your preference, either the features or the sound, which one is more important to you.

If the sound is more important, I guess:
(1) In tonal quality, Yamaha will sound more relaxing in the ears as compare to Denon bright character (especially the AVR-XX12 & XX13 product years).
However,
(2) In sound character, the Yamaha will sound like ordinary brands enough to please most people, while Denon will have extra advantage in warm and crisp sound to please audiophile people.

Yamaha RX-V375 or Denon AVR-1513, I would go for Yamaha
Pretty much agreed.
Though Yamaha receivers are generally somewhat laid back, neutral-ish sounding, I don't think they lack dynamics for most people. They are a good middle ground and has been proven to be hard to go wrong with.

Coupled with the fact that Yamaha products are generally easy (in comparison to say Denon or Marantz) to get support with here, that's a bonus if anything goes wrong.
SSJBen
post Feb 12 2016, 10:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

The 479 is fine, but at an extra RM500+ I don't think it's worth it. Might as well go for the 679 to future proof yourself when you upgrade to a HDR compatible TV (yes, HDR IS a big deal). Only the 679 and up range are getting HDR support.

The 479 may have a little more power, but you're only pushing a pair of bookshelves of which the 379 is very adequate at. If and when you want to upgrade to a full 5.1 (or more) system, then it'd be easy to sell the 379 down the road and budget yourself for a full system upgrade. The 479 makes very little sense, value wise unless you can get it below RM1.5k.
SSJBen
post Feb 12 2016, 11:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Feb 12 2016, 10:48 PM)
Thanks for your insight Ben! Currently the Yamaha RX V379 is selling for RM1599 on an online website. The features really excites me!  wub.gif

Now if I can balance up my budget with either satellite speakers with subwoofer or bookshelf speakers?  hmm.gif
It's RM1399 at Desa Home Theater last I checked (a month ago). Might be even cheaper if you can haggle a bit.
SSJBen
post Feb 15 2016, 03:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

Yes 477 > 379. Go for it.
SSJBen
post Feb 16 2016, 02:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Feb 16 2016, 02:28 PM)
Any value for money soundbar to recommend?  hmm.gif
For your budget of 1300 + 1200, the Sony HT RT5 (RM2.2k).

Will actually sound better than that craptacular Denon 1312 set.
Alternatively, you can opt for a Yamaha NSP40 system which is at least more decent than the Denon.

Again, I don't suggest you opt this route if ultimately you are going to have a full HT setup. You will lose more money in the end.

It's actually a very simple choice for your budget which I'm not sure why you are still pondering on.

2.5k budget breaks down to:
- 2x Sony SS-CS3 floorstanders (RM1200)
- 1x Yamaha V477 AVR (1.4k)
- Top up RM100

You might be asking, wth no sub?!@#!@$
The real harsh truth is that all those cheap subs you see in HTiB or AIO systems are horrendous. The CS3 floorstanders can produce bass way better than any of them, with ease.

Your path to upgrading is pretty much only limited by your wallet after this, rather than replacing EVERYTHING.
SSJBen
post Feb 16 2016, 04:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

My impressions (not review!) on the RT5 was here: https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=77375007

tldr; Decent at best soundbar, nothing great, but not bad either.
SSJBen
post Feb 17 2016, 04:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(Eng_Tat @ Feb 17 2016, 12:03 AM)
hi, any one here tested/auditioned Sony SS-CS3 against Pioneer SP-FS52 (RM800/pair)? tq
Everything the FS52 can do, the CS3 just does better. Tonality, transparency, neutrality, detail retrieval, soundstage, low end thump, pretty much everything, the CS3 > FS52. The only thing the FS52 beats the CS3 at is price.

RM800 vs RM1200 (pair), is the CS3 worth the extra RM400? IMO yes. The FS52 can often times struggle with very dynamic bass or very sharp treble, when any source that has these kind of load, the FS52 just can't handle the transient load and worse still, distort. The CS3? Believe me when I say this, it doesn't. Mind blowing that Sony could achieve something of such balance at this price point, on a floorstander.

tldr; The FS52 sounds constrained, dull and struggles when place side by side in comparison to the CS3, in the same environment condition, fed with the same source.

QUOTE(tharmaraj @ Feb 17 2016, 10:43 AM)
I'm really interested with this speaker. Can recommend where can I buy? I don't want buy online though. Btw. does this speakers comes with Banana Plug connectors. The current speaker cables I have are all banana plug connectors.

Thanks everyone!

cheers
Raj  tongue.gif
Special order from Sony Malaysia.
Call them.

And yes, they use banana plug connections.

QUOTE(radovantz @ Feb 17 2016, 10:50 AM)
I will use Sony speaker only if I have Sony amplifier to connect it with smile.gif
Sadly Sony amplifier is currently not available in Malaysia.
It is.
Sony is selling the DN1060 now, RM2.6k + free BDP S7200 + free MDR-1ABT headphones.

Yes you read that right, insane value.

But to be honest, I don't think the DN1060's nature of wide soundstage, laid back sound is a good match for the Core series speakers. The Core series speakers are already very neutral, in fact some might even say it's a bit too bright and on the cold side. You'd want a semi-warm receiver/amp.

If discrete amp like the TA-A1ES, you'll need to special order from them. But again, I don't think they're a good match either for the Core series speakers.
SSJBen
post Feb 17 2016, 05:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

700 for CS5 (bookshelve)
500 for the CS8 (center)
SSJBen
post Feb 17 2016, 06:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(Eng_Tat @ Feb 17 2016, 05:57 PM)
thanks, is this rrp? or we will get cheaper/any where that we can audition? biggrin.gif look good to start a 3.1 ht.
That's the price from Sony and it's the only price you'll ever get, officially.
The Core Series speakers was never meant to be sold in Malaysia, but seeing there was interest, Sony just brought in a few models to gauge how well it will sell.

No retailers will have the Core series speakers for sale as Sony isn't planning to distribute them, not for now at least.

As to where can audition, only in Sony KLCC.
SSJBen
post Feb 19 2016, 02:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

The Core series speakers is ONLY selling in KLCC, for now (and the near future). Also, they need to be back ordered.

AFAIK, Sony Malaysia is planning to bring more units in.
SSJBen
post Feb 19 2016, 03:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Feb 19 2016, 07:52 AM)
Sony really trying to make a come back
Eh. They're too inconsistent to really be a big force in the audio market. They would come out with a great product then milk the hell out of it for the next 5 years, releasing garbage after garbage as fillers.

Yes, here's hoping they get their act together because I've always had a soft spot for Sony. But facts are facts, they need to be consistent for a long stretch of time, not just 1 year and clap hooray.

Love the Core series speakers, they're definitely a leg up over the Pioneer AJ speakers.
SSJBen
post Feb 19 2016, 05:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Feb 19 2016, 04:53 PM)
not bad pricing for dn1060 package. i wonder any user now or demo available?
Pricing is actually insanely good lol. Why? Because it comes with free BD-7200 player and a MDR1ABT headphone. You sell both off at 80% price from new and the DN1060 is like only 1.4k.

The DN1060 also doesn't sound half bad, in fact very good. Great soundstage, good imaging, punchy dynamics (lol not Sony's forte at all previously).
Too bad it falls short on the video department though, only ONE HDCP 2.2 capable port (ridiculous), no HDR support via firmware, only 1 port does 4:4:4 @ 60hz and input lag that cannot be eradicated.

Then there's the reliability.... well, the 1060 hasn't been out that long yet to hear about the horror stories of Sony receivers going dead for no reason what so ever.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Feb 19 2016, 06:21 PM
SSJBen
post Feb 19 2016, 10:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Feb 19 2016, 07:14 PM)
weakness is acceptable for its price. i decided
pls dont advertise too much, im buying it soon.
afraid out of stok like mcd toys or shell lego then no review from me.
cyber shot x walkman x xperia
Got plenty la, don't worry.

QUOTE(sonerin @ Feb 19 2016, 08:55 PM)
No Atmos and no dts x. Feel like outdated avr
Show me a 1.4k AVR with Atmos or DTS X. tongue.gif

But on a serious note, their latest 1070 also doesn't include Atmos nor DTS X. Sadly. I think Sony missed the ball there.
SSJBen
post Feb 19 2016, 10:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Feb 19 2016, 10:10 PM)
Is true Sony kind miss when everyone is going at atmos
Indeed, considering the 1070 will also cost 2.7k. If it supports Atmos (which if you look at design and specs, it's entirely capable of doing so), it'd pretty much murder the Onkyo 646.

Sony just don't want to pay for the licensing.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Feb 19 2016, 10:15 PM
SSJBen
post Feb 26 2016, 08:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(tharmaraj @ Feb 26 2016, 04:17 PM)
Thanks for your reply. Just called [email protected] Curv and they have the stock at their place. Going there tomorrow to get the speakers. Btw. just to double confirm, the speaker connector at the back using "banana" plug connectors?

Thanks again for your reply, appreciated. biggrin.gif

cheers
Raj
Yes banana plugs on all the core series speakers actually.

QUOTE(tharmaraj @ Feb 26 2016, 04:19 PM)
Btw. any good Sub-Woofer recommendation below RM1K?

thanks!
Raj
If you are gonna get a sub below 1k you might as well don't bother getting a sub. Wasting money for garbage, mostly.

If you are getting the CS3, its bass is actually quite adequate. It won't rumble your floors or tear down your walls, but will definitely give you that chest thump. Best of all, it doesn't distort like a complete mess like most cheap sub 1k subs.
SSJBen
post Feb 28 2016, 10:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(tharmaraj @ Feb 26 2016, 10:10 PM)
Again, thank you Sir for your advice. This is the advice I need instead wasting my money on cheap woofer. I guess I will stick with CS3 at the moment until I have enough $$$$ for a woofer.

Thanks again and have a good weekend  thumbup.gif

cheers
Raj
Speaker placement is important too, especially more so for floorstanders.

Generally the closer your speakers are to the wall, the more boomy the bass is and if you stick too close, it can cloud the mids and become muddy. But since the CS3 are front ported, there aren't issues with port flaring so you can adjust them more front or back towards your preference.

Experiment around, read up and do research.
SSJBen
post Mar 19 2016, 05:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

5.1 vs 7.1 depends so much on the room dimensions. So many people do not take into account about their room dimension and simply just add speakers, then complain that it either sounds worse or has zero improvements. The same reason why stereo can potentially sound as immersive as a 5 channel setup. More doesn't always mean better in audio.

Room is nearly as critical as the choice of speakers IMO.

In a proper room, even a 5.1.2 (or 5.2.2 preferably) setup is more immersive than a 7.1 (or 7.2 prerably) setup. A 5.2.4 setup can actually sound as good as a 7.2.2 setup even. It's all about balance and room conditions.

13 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0570sec    0.48    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 4th December 2020 - 01:12 AM