Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Review Edifier S1000DB Speaker Unboxing and Review 2015, With Bluetooth aptX Optical Coaxial RCA

views

TSasunakirito
post Nov 19 2015, 10:35 PM, updated 6y ago

Regular
1,068 posts

Author's Note: The original review is found at tech.ayumilove.net, please head to the site to show us your support as well. Click here to view all my product reviews!

Looking for your very first studio speaker? Check out the Edifier S1000DB aka S1000 Studio Series Speaker. This 2.0 bookshelf speaker is recently released in 2015. It comes with Bluetooth aptX feature which allows seamless wireless connection and offers a variety of audio connections (optical, coaxial, auxiliary). The S1000 (Digital Bluetooth) is designed with classic wooden side panels with front facing drivers angled slightly for optimum audio performance. Edifier also offers other models with unique speaker driver combinations, sizes and designs such as Edifier R2700, R2730DB and R2800. Before diving into the review, let's take a glance of the technical specifications and the features that this speaker has to offer!

Intro: Dell U2515H Monitor flanked by Edifier S1000 2.0 Bookshelf large speaker. This speaker size is 1 inch lower than a Edifier R2730DB/R2700 but similar in weight and overall dimension.
user posted image

Features
1. Multiple Inputs include: Bluetooth/Optical/Coaxial/PC/Auxiliary.
2. Bluetooth aptX®.
3. Pure Sound with advanced titanium dome tweeter.
4. 5.5-inch aluminum bass speaker for surge and wave bass.
5. Design features wooden side panels in black matte finish back panel.
6. Remote control included.

Specifications
1. Power output: RMS 25W×2(Treble) +35W×2(Mid-range and bass) = 120W
2. Signal to noise ratio: ≥ 85dBA
3. Frequency response: 48Hz~20KHz (±4dB)
4. Input sensitivity: PC: 900 ± 50mV | AUX: 700 ± 50mV | OPT, COX: 350 mFFs ± 50 mFFs
5. Input type: PC/Auxiliary/Optical/Coaxial/Bluetooth
6. Mid-range and bass driver: 5.5 inch
7. Treble driver: 1 inch
8. EAN code: 69235202649

This post has been edited by asunakirito: Dec 13 2017, 08:28 PM
TSasunakirito
post Nov 19 2015, 10:36 PM

Regular
1,068 posts

Packaging and Unboxing

Packaging-1: The S1000 speaker came from China. Therefore, the labels are printed in Chinese language. Basically, its listing down the speaker features as translated above in this article. The icons below the description indicates that it supports Bluetooth v4.0, Optical, Coaxial, Electronic Crossover, DSP Tone Control, and Infra-red Remote Control. It also has in-built 100-240V Auto Switching Power.
user posted image

Packaging-2: Here is a look at the top of the box. Nothing special except for the pointers to open the box flaps from this location.
user posted image

Unboxing-1: Opening the box reveals the S1000 accessories tucked nicely in the foam compartment. The items that can be seen here are optical cable, remote control, RCA to 3.5mm cable and XLR cable.
user posted image

Unboxing-2: Removing the hard white foam reveals the S1000 speaker wrapped in the plastic protecting it from unwanted dirt/scratches. Below the speaker is the other hard white foam to provide protection against any external vibration/impact.
user posted image

TSasunakirito

Regular
1,068 posts

Accessory

Accessory-1: Here are all the items that comes in the packaging. Starting from top left to bottom right: user manual, RCA to 3.5mm auxiliary cable, optical cable, remote control and XLR connector cable.
user posted image

Accessory-2: The optical cable measures 1.4 meters in length. Each ends is equipped with a plastic cover to protect it from dirt. You will need to remove them before using it to connect the cable from audio source to the active speaker.
user posted image

Accessory-3: The RCA to 3.5mm auxiliary cable measures 1.6 meters in length. This can be used to connect the S1000 speaker to your audio device
user posted image

Accessory-4: The 5-pin XLR connector cable measures 3 meters in length. It's used to connect both left and right speaker. The lengthy cable is provided so you could place both active and passive speaker far apart from one another when you have a large TV/monitor (e.g. 60 inch TV) in the middle of both speakers.
user posted image

Accessory-5a: The S1000 comes with a remote control which is 10cm x 4cm (height x width). It uses Lithium Cell CR2025 3V battery. The design of this remote control differs to most of the Edifier remote control that I have encountered.
user posted image

Accessory-5b: You need to use a coin or a circular object to be placed into the curvature of the opening slot to twist the cap anti-clockwise to open it.
user posted image

Other: The 2-pin power plug measures 1.6 meters in length, which is sufficient to plug to your power source or power extension located far away from the speaker.
user posted image
TSasunakirito

Regular
1,068 posts

Design

Design-1: Taking a look at the front, the S1000 comes with a removable speaker mesh that provides some protection to the woofer and tweeter. This special mesh design is similar to the Edifier R19U speaker which has higher perforation to allow sound to pass through easily while preventing large dust particles from entering.
user posted image

Design-2: Removing the speaker mesh, you can see the tweeter, woofer and also the speaker mesh stand-off which holds the speaker mesh in place. The single tweeter and woofer reminds me of the design of R2000DB and R1900TV that I had previously reviewed.
user posted image

Design-3: Looking at the outer side of the speaker, there aren't any speaker interfaces (knobs, volume controls, etc). I love how Edifier design the edges of this trapezium contour speaker. It does not have sharp angles that can poke/scratch your hands when you move along the edges.
user posted image

Design-4: The inner side of the speaker is similar to the outside one as well. It looks beautiful and matches wooden furniture nicely. The S1000 takes the aesthetics one level up of the R1900TV.
user posted image

Design-5: The top of the speaker does not have any wooden-grain finish like the side panels but it's uses a smooth surface skin to cover the wood. This makes it easy to wipe of dust that accumulates on top.
user posted image

Design-6: At the speaker rear, we can find the main speaker interface located on the active speaker. The interface has RCA-to-RCA, Coaxial, Optical Inputs and some other controls for the treble, bass and volume. The speaker uses bass reflex system with port measuring 5.5cm in diameter. This design allows enhances the reproduction of the lowest frequencies generated by the woofer, which is helpful for extending the bass performance.
user posted image

Design-7: Looking at the bottom of the S1000 speaker, we can find the speaker anti-slip padding made of high-quality rubber. I would prefer if they did not use glue but instead screwed into the speaker as there are possibilities it would eventually peeled off when being moved around.
user posted image
TSasunakirito
post Nov 19 2015, 10:37 PM

Regular
1,068 posts

Extra

Extra-1: Taking a closer look at the active speaker interface, we can find the Edifier controls for volume, treble and bass (top to bottom). The power switch is located just below those controls. Beside those controls are the 2 RCA inputs (AUX, PC ~ white/red) followed by the Optical Input that comes with a protective cover), and last but not least is the Coaxial Input which has a yellow label. Both active and passive speaker are connected via the XLR input connection.
user posted image

Extra-2: Viewing the speaker mesh individually, we can find the Edifier label located at the bottom of the outer side while the inner side has the 4 plastic holes to hook onto the mini metal pillar on the speaker. The speaker mesh framework is made of plastic instead of wood, and the mesh is held by a thin layer of glue placed around the speaker mesh edge.
user posted image

Extra-3: Here is another angle with a closer perspective on the speaker mesh.
user posted image

Extra-4: Looking up close at the titanium dome tweeter, it's protected by a hard metallic mesh. The tweeter speaker driver is installed to the speaker using 4 screws.
user posted image

Extra-5: The aluminium bass speaker has 4 mini pillars around it. It is installed to the speaker using 6 screws. On the active speaker (left), you can see the L.E.D. screen which displays the color (Red - Optical / Blue - Bluetooth / Green - Auxiliary-PC).
user posted image

Extra-6: Here is a size comparison between the Edifier R2730DB (left) and Edifier S1000 (right).
user posted image

TSasunakirito

Regular
1,068 posts

First Impression
When I first unboxed the S1000 speaker, it brought back memories of the other Edifier speaker that I have reviewed which were the Edifier R2000DB and Edifier R1900TV as it have similar appearances. However, this speaker is much more larger compared to these 2 speakers but similarly weight to the R2730DB (18kg).

Discoveries

New Speaker Smell
When I first turn on the speaker and played it at 75% for the first few hours, I did not notice any burning hot glue rubber smell coming out of the speaker but it does have the brand new speaker scent coming out from its port hole when playing heavy bass music. It will take a couple of months for the new scent to wear off.

Speakers Magnetically Shielded
The one thing that annoys me about speaker is that they emit weird blip-blip noise when a SMS/call is received if the phone is placed close to the speaker. This common speaker issue doesn’t occur to the Edifier S1000 speaker as all the drivers are magnetically shielded. Thumbs up! No issues when placing side by side to the monitor with the strong magnets as its not faced directly.

Coverage for Bluetooth and Remote Control
The Edifier S1000 speaker comes with a Bluetooth capability with support of aptX® codec for superior quality wireless audio from compatible devices. It could receive audio signal via Bluetooth more than 10 meters away with obstacles (e.g. shut doors) and audio signal does not stutter. When switching or pausing music on my Android phone, it executes it without any delay! The remote control requires line of sight in order to control the speaker volume/standby/mute.

Power Consumption
Below are some power readings measured from my power meter using a heavy bass music. High treble music does not consume much wattage compared to heavy bass music. When the heavy bass music plays beyond 60% volume, the power consumption increases significantly to deliver loud quality music. The power consumption is approximately half of the Edifier R2730DB in terms of idle status and playing heavy bass music. This is great for users who are power saving conscious but also looking for a great sounding speaker.
Treble -6dB / Bass -6dB / Volume 70% = 4.5W (Idle)
Treble -6dB / Bass -6dB / Volume 70% = 4.8W (Heavy Bass)
Treble 0dB / Bass 0dB / Volume 70% = 6~10W (Heavy Bass)
Treble 6dB / Bass 6dB / Volume 70% = 15~22W (Heavy Bass)

Sound Quality
After warming up the speaker for 2 weeks with random music tracks, I auditioned the speaker again with several genre of music namely techno, instrumental, bass, rock, classic and vocal. The one thing that caught my attention is the enhancement of the treble and bass which seems to be brought forward with a slight recess in the mid. Turning up the treble and bass control to the max (6dB) boosted it so much that listening music to it feels a little overwhelming in a good way. If compared to my Edifier R2730DB, it's basically the flat tones got washed away with the colorful warmish sound of Edifier S1000. Watching movies with explosion and gun shots sounds so realistic that just immerses that you are in that location itself. With the pronounced mellow treble and powerful bass, the mid sounds a little mixed between these two. In addition, the Edifier S1000 bass is much more in controlled compared to the Edifier R2000DB and R1900TV. The bass is more focus and does not disperse out much which makes it sound more impact, dense and reacts to fast beat but in return less bouncy. Since the port is facing the rear, listener would not find it fatiguing listening to thunderous bass music up close in 1-2 arm's length away. As usual, the instruments can be heard crystal clear. Regarding the sound stage, instruments playing on the front, rear, sides can be easily located. This is also good for FPS shooting games where you want to know where the enemies are located by listening to the foot steps, gunshots, etc.
TSasunakirito

Regular
1,068 posts

Verdict
The Edifier S1000 2.0 bookshelf speaker it's an interesting speaker which produces treble and bass that pops out towards the audience. If you are looking for a brand new 2.0 speaker setup for movies, gaming and music listening usages, and also looks great in places such as living hall or workstation, I highly recommend you to consider them in your purchasing list. Just a little note on the spacing as the S1000 speaker takes up a larger space compared to an average 2.1 satellite speaker system when placed beside your monitor/TV.

Expectations
If there is another revision on the S1000, I wished that the active speaker displays the percentage of volume, treble and bass (0~100%) when its being adjusted via the speaker interface. It would be also worth to consider to include the ability of increasing/decreasing the treble and bass via the remote control too as it's much more convenient for the user! Another thing would be the redesigning the remote control to have separate buttons placed with a few gaps like the one found in Edifier Studio Monitor series to make it easier to press the buttons and avoid accidental clicks on other features.

Edifier S1000 Videos

Edifier S1000 Speaker Sound Test with Music (Instrumental, Techno, Vocal)

Edifier S1000 Speaker Sound Test with Live, Animation, Movie

Edifier S1000 Speaker Treble Bass Combination Sound Test

Edifier S1000 vs R2730DB Speaker Sound Test

This post has been edited by asunakirito: Nov 21 2015, 09:25 AM
andrekua2
post Nov 20 2015, 02:43 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,489 posts

Would be great if you had S2000 to compare.
djhenry91
post Nov 20 2015, 09:02 AM

Slow and Steady
6,763 posts

around how much for tht model?
i like remote controller design lol
ktek
post Nov 21 2015, 06:21 AM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

got specs of internal dac?
andrekua2
post Nov 21 2015, 08:49 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,489 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Nov 21 2015, 06:21 AM)
You can view indepth review here. Its in Chinese though. They took everything apart for you to see. I have to say S2000 are better made.

http://www.soomal.com/doc/20100006069.htm
TSasunakirito
post Nov 21 2015, 10:11 AM

Regular
1,068 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Nov 20 2015, 02:43 AM)
Would be great if you had S2000 to compare.
Sorry, I do not have S2000 speaker to compare.

The S2000 speaker is quite an old model from Edifier released around 2005.

Not sure if they still sell those locally.

This post has been edited by asunakirito: Nov 21 2015, 10:12 AM
TSasunakirito
post Nov 21 2015, 10:17 AM

Regular
1,068 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Nov 21 2015, 06:21 AM)
The S1000 uses this chip PCM9211
http://www.datasheetlib.com/datasheet/5423...nstruments.html

The S2000 uses this chp PCM1732U
http://www.datasheetlib.com/datasheet/2345...burr-brown.html
TSasunakirito
post Nov 21 2015, 10:19 AM

Regular
1,068 posts

QUOTE(djhenry91 @ Nov 20 2015, 09:02 AM)
around how much for tht model?
i like remote controller design lol
It costs approximately 735 MYR = 1098 RMB (not inclusive shipping cost from China, GST 6%, etc)

I have corrected the spelling "remote controller" -> "remote control".

This post has been edited by asunakirito: Nov 21 2015, 10:19 AM
ktek
post Nov 21 2015, 10:33 AM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

QUOTE(asunakirito @ Nov 21 2015, 10:17 AM)
good info smile.gif sure i will like to listen on the new titanium tweeter.
looks like the rear volume knob has infinity run.
TSasunakirito
post Nov 21 2015, 06:45 PM

Regular
1,068 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Nov 21 2015, 10:33 AM)
good info smile.gif sure i will like to listen on the new titanium tweeter.
looks like the rear volume knob has infinity run.
Yeah, the volume knob is similar to the other Edifier Studio Speaker volume knob which allows you to turn it up without any halt/stop.

What speaker are you currently using?
ktek
post Nov 22 2015, 04:04 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

QUOTE(asunakirito @ Nov 21 2015, 06:45 PM)
Yeah, the volume knob is similar to the other Edifier Studio Speaker volume knob which allows you to turn it up without any halt/stop.

What speaker are you currently using?
just sold my surround amp, pending to up atmos. so habis cerita to 5.1

now only run mordaunt short declaration & simple marantz stereo receiver.
am3
post Nov 27 2015, 03:51 PM

Regular
1,345 posts

You buy from China? So this model not in malaysia yet?
TSasunakirito
post Nov 27 2015, 11:04 PM

Regular
1,068 posts

QUOTE(am3 @ Nov 27 2015, 03:51 PM)
You buy from China?  So this model not in malaysia yet?
Perhaps Edifier can brief us the date that this Studio Series speaker will be available in Malaysia.

They have published a post at https://www.facebook.com/EdifierFanClub/ hinting that the Edifier S1000 speaker will be releasing in Malaysia.

aravan
post Jan 13 2016, 01:59 AM

1 posts

hello. thank you very much for your edifier s1000 review.
because of my bad english i didn't understand which model sounds is better (s1000 or r2930)?
maybe can you please tell it in numbers (s1000 sound quality is 7/10, r2930 9/10)?
Thanks.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0230sec    0.18    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:03 AM