6 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Immigrate to Canada, any guides/tips

views

604weekendwarrior
post May 18 2019, 07:04 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(KronenZerg @ Sep 19 2016, 02:32 PM)
I noticed that Vancouver is prone to potential earthquake .. in fact, there are daily tremors .. Not sure if it is true or not? Any one living can validate this? Eventhough it is in at EQ zone, I see a lot of people trying to migrate there .. is it really better than Australia?
I realize this comment is from 2016 but I thought I'd chime in on this and contribute since I'm born and raised in Vancouver, and recently moved to Bangsar South for work a year ago.

Vancouver/Seattle is 'overdue' to get a big earthquake as the city is along the Juan De Fuca straight. For the 34 years that I've lived in Vancouver, I think the only earthquake to my memory was a 5.0 magnitude and I honestly didn't feel it because it happened when I was driving.

Before moving to Malaysia, I was living in Philippines for 4.5 years and there were more earthquakes there in 4.5 years than my 34 years of Vancouver life. But that's not to say Vancouver won't get one.

QUOTE(Al3x0174 @ Feb 4 2019, 05:05 PM)
Don't like Australia
US too many crazy shits
Canada seems nice. As far as I know, the government might be more or less the same as Malaysia. cost of living also about the same. standard of living should be higher?
Cost of living depends on where you're moving to. Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary are getting higher in terms of cost of living. I can only speak for Vancouver since I grew up there but I can say that living in Malaysia has saved me a lot of money vs living in Vancouver.

If you want to live in the heart of Downtown Vancouver, average price for say a 1 bedroom 650sqft (60sqm as you guys use here) can run you around $2200CAD/month rent (approx 6,820MYR)
If you want to live farther out in the suburbs of say New Westminster or Coquitlam the price for the same sized unit is around $1,600CAD/month rent (approx 4,900MYR)
Even farther out to say Abbotsford which is over an hour drive from Vancouver the same sized unit will probably be around $1,200-1,400/month (Around 3720MYR)

If you're planning to buy a car, Vancouver has the highest gas prices in Vancouver. As of right now, cost for regular gas is around $1.54-$1.70CAD/ltr which is around 4.77MYR/Liter. A lot of Vancouverites if they're close to the boarder will hope across the boarder to fill up gas and save around 30-40% depending on your car.

In terms of cost/standard of living, a lot of my friends I've grown up with are finding it harder and harder to live in Vancouver due to the rising cost of day to day things. They're starting to move farther and farther away from Vancouver into the suburbs. Economy in Vancouver has been fueled by offshore real estate purchases (mainly Chinese) and the influx of Chinese migrating to Vancouver. For me, I compare the cost of food, restaurants, shopping, and day to day costs almost the same as living in Singapore. I lived in Yaletown which is in the heart of Downtown Vancouver and the cost of living was getting ridiculous.

Our taxes in Canada are also pretty ridiculous. I don't miss that at all.

In all honesty, I cannot see myself living in Vancouver anymore unless my employment ends with my company, but I would look for alternative countries to live in. Vancouver is beautiful, I miss the friends and family, lots to do in the spring/summer if you're an outdoors person, and skiing/snowboarding in the winter. But the weather from Oct-Apr does get cold/rainy and the past few years Vancouver has been getting a lot more snow. I don't miss that lol.

Again, I'm only speaking for Vancouver but cost of living does change from city to city. Halifax and smaller cities will definitely have a smaller cost of living, but also a smaller spectrum of job opportunities.

Anyone else has any questions on Canada I'm more than happy to do my best to answer them.

Al3x0174
post May 18 2019, 08:50 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(604weekendwarrior @ May 18 2019, 07:04 PM)
I realize this comment is from 2016 but I thought I'd chime in on this and contribute since I'm born and raised in Vancouver, and recently moved to Bangsar South for work a year ago.
Vancouver/Seattle  is 'overdue' to get a big earthquake as the city is along the Juan De Fuca straight.  For the 34 years that I've lived in Vancouver, I think the only earthquake to my memory was a 5.0 magnitude and I honestly didn't feel it because it happened when I was driving.

Before moving to Malaysia, I was living in Philippines for 4.5 years and there were more earthquakes there in 4.5 years than my 34 years of Vancouver life. But that's not to say Vancouver won't get one. 
Cost of living depends on where you're moving to.  Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary are getting higher in terms of cost of living.  I can only speak for Vancouver since I grew up there but I can say that living in Malaysia has saved me a lot of money vs living in Vancouver.

If you want to live in the heart of Downtown Vancouver, average price for say a 1 bedroom 650sqft (60sqm as you guys use here) can run you around $2200CAD/month rent (approx 6,820MYR)
If you want to live farther out in the suburbs of say New Westminster or Coquitlam the price for the same sized unit is around $1,600CAD/month rent (approx 4,900MYR)
Even farther out to say Abbotsford which is over an hour drive from Vancouver the same sized unit will probably be around $1,200-1,400/month (Around 3720MYR)

If you're planning to buy a car, Vancouver has the highest gas prices in Vancouver.  As of right now, cost for regular gas is around $1.54-$1.70CAD/ltr which is around 4.77MYR/Liter.  A lot of Vancouverites if they're close to the boarder will hope across the boarder to fill up gas and save around 30-40% depending on your car.

In terms of cost/standard of living, a lot of my friends I've grown up with are finding it harder and harder to live in Vancouver due to the rising cost of day to day things.  They're starting to move farther and farther away from Vancouver into the suburbs.  Economy in Vancouver has been fueled by offshore real estate purchases (mainly Chinese) and the influx of Chinese migrating to Vancouver.  For me, I compare the cost of food, restaurants, shopping, and day to day costs almost the same as living in Singapore.  I lived in Yaletown which is in the heart of Downtown Vancouver and the cost of living was getting ridiculous. 

Our taxes in Canada are also pretty ridiculous.  I don't miss that at all.

In all honesty, I cannot see myself living in Vancouver anymore unless my employment ends with my company, but I would look for alternative countries to live in.  Vancouver is beautiful, I miss the friends and family, lots to do in the spring/summer if you're an outdoors person, and skiing/snowboarding in the winter.  But the weather from Oct-Apr does get cold/rainy and the past few years Vancouver has been getting a lot more snow.  I don't miss that lol.

Again, I'm only speaking for Vancouver but cost of living does change from city to city.  Halifax and smaller cities will definitely have a smaller cost of living, but also a smaller spectrum of job opportunities.
Anyone else has any questions on Canada I'm more than happy to do my best to answer them.
So true. That’s why I’m still considering.
jouhaiichi_gou
post Aug 7 2019, 01:55 AM

5 posts

I'm a Malaysian and have migrated to Canada under the Express Entry Federal Skilled Worker scheme in 2017.

Ask me anything and I can share my experience.
Darkripper
post Sep 22 2019, 01:09 AM

What do you expect?
1,257 posts

QUOTE(jouhaiichi_gou @ Aug 7 2019, 01:55 AM)
I'm a Malaysian and have migrated to Canada under the Express Entry Federal Skilled Worker scheme in 2017.

Thanks in advance!

1) How long did it take for your case? and your score?

2) Did you have a job prior to moving there? If not, how is the job hunting process?

3) How is the overall experience so far?

4) Which city you're in and why?
jouhaiichi_gou
post Nov 16 2019, 06:21 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(Darkripper @ Sep 22 2019, 01:09 AM)
Thanks in advance!

1) How long did it take for your case? and your score?

2) Did you have a job prior to moving there? If not, how is the job hunting process?

3) How is the overall experience so far?

4) Which city you're in and why?
Sorry for the late response. I should be checking this forum more often.

Year: 2017

1. I started (research, gathering my funds, IETLS, ECA etc) in January. Submitted my profile in March, my CRS score was 459. I immediately received an ITA within 2 weeks, as at that time the trend was <450. However as you only get 60 days to submit your application, I had to decline that first ITA (which I did closer to the deadline in June) due to me needing more time to gather the required documents for the application. As soon as I declined, I was invited again the next draw later that month. Submitted eAPR end of August, Medicals in Sep, COPR received and passport fixed with PR Visa in October. I bought tickets, took another month to 'close shop' in Malaysia and say goodbye, landed in Canada end of Dec 2017.

2, No I did not have job prior to moving here. Even though the CIC website would lead you to believe that this is possible, it is quite impossible. Job hunting is quite hard the first round, even for survival/low level jobs. I am in Calgary, a decent sized city. At first it seemed that no supervisors want to take a risk of hiring a newcomer who is overqualified, however I persisted and landed my first job in a sandwich shop within 2 months. It was hard work for someone like me who's used to that 9 to 5 office life, but the pay was more than enough to sustain my expenses and even I was sending home 25% of my paycheck. I bounced to a few more survival jobs after that (job hunting was so much easier once you have Canadian experience on your resume) until I landed in a lower-position but within my field, more than 1 year later.

You will find that different people will have different luck with jobs. In my case, my field require me to be locally certified. There is quite a long process for it as I'm required to take 8 exams, and THEN have to find a place to intern no less than a year. My advice is to research up front what your specific field of work requires in Canada and to be prepared for it. Most professional positions (lawyers, engineers, doctors, dentists) are regulated, meaning they have a specific body which will dictate how your qualification will translate there.

3. Overall experience is 10/10 would do it again if I have to. My worst fear was not adjusting to the cold, but surprisingly I very quickly overcame it and I got used to it pretty well. But my goal for immigration is not financial, so I'm pretty happy sitting at a lower position than I was in Malaysia. I've seen a lot of people struggle with this. Don't expect your job to translate equally after immigration in a short time. You will get there at some point, but it will take quite a few years and you will need to be patient and very hardworking.

Personally my quality of life have improved 500%?? compared to living in KL. There are more things to enjoy and I can afford them even though technically I'm not earning as high as I was when I was in KL. Some Egs: I can afford to rent a whole apartment here vs I shared a house with roomates in KL, my car here is fully paid for vs my car in KL was on loan, I have spare money to send home/save vs barely making it meet in KL, I can go walk/jog in the parks no fear of getting robbed/killed/raped, my home don't have to have grill bar windows just to deter thieves, air is cleaner, river is not polluted, recycling and sorting garbage is implemented - I could go on but these are just a few things that strike me the most.

4. I'm in Calgary. Reason: Toronto is 'too big' and Vancouver is 'too expensive' and any other Canadian cities will be 'too small' for me. My decision was not made with detailed economic analysis but more of like the story of Goldilocks, Calgary was 'just right' for what I was looking for.

I'll be happy to answer any questions about my experience and I'll answer them when I come and check the forum once in a while.
klein
post Nov 23 2019, 09:29 AM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(jouhaiichi_gou @ Aug 7 2019, 01:55 AM)

Nice. Glad that it works out for you. If you don't mind me asking, what field are you in? I have always cautioned friends who want to come to think twice if they have no Canadian education or local experience. Having low expectations (alongside flexibility and adaptability) at the early stage is very important. I chose to abandon my former profession and went through the education route instead to have a second degree and it works out fine thus far.

This post has been edited by klein: Nov 23 2019, 09:38 AM
jouhaiichi_gou
post Nov 26 2019, 03:19 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(klein @ Nov 23 2019, 09:29 AM)
Nice. Glad that it works out for you. If you don't mind me asking, what field are you in? I have always cautioned friends who want to come to think twice if they have no Canadian education or local experience. Having low expectations (alongside flexibility and adaptability) at the early stage is very important. I chose to abandon my former profession and went through the education route instead to have a second degree and it works out fine thus far.
Yes I agree having flexibility and adaptability is very important. I also caution those who asks me about Canada. Basically it is not an 'expat' type of move. It will not be comfortable, and you must really know what is your personal reason for you to making this move. If it is purely for money/career, perhaps staying in your home country will let you do that faster, and at the comfort of your status quo. For me personally, the move was motivated by wanting a better environment, and wanting the freedom that comes with living in first world secular country. So even if I had to work in a sandwich shop for 5 years, I was still willing to take it on.

To answer your question, I am in the field of law. As Malaysia is a 'mixed law' legal system according to the accreditation body, I was assigned to write and pass 8 law subjects. This can be done at my own time within 5 years of the assessment. Currently I'm still working on this stage, but since I have gotten a job at a solo practitioner's firm, I am learning a lot as I work everyday, and I have also secured my 'articling' position, which is a mandatory 1 year 'internship' type of period under a qualified lawyer. But I know a lot of foreign trained lawyers here who having completed their required exams, but are still hunting for this articling position. It's not easy to find as it is basically a job-hunt and you are competing with local law graduates who are obviously preferred. Having said that, hundreds and thousands of professional immigrants have made it before me, my current boss included. It's just a question of how far you are willing to go and how much you are willing to sacrifice to achieve your goals.

This post has been edited by jouhaiichi_gou: Nov 26 2019, 03:20 AM
klein
post Nov 26 2019, 03:28 AM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(jouhaiichi_gou @ Nov 26 2019, 03:19 AM)
Yes I agree having flexibility and adaptability is very important. I also caution those who asks me about Canada. Basically it is not an 'expat' type of move. It will not be comfortable, and you must really know what is your personal reason for you to making this move. If it is purely for money/career, perhaps staying in your home country will let you do that faster, and at the comfort of your status quo. For me personally, the move was motivated by wanting a better environment, and wanting the freedom that comes with living in first world secular country. So even if I had to work in a sandwich shop for 5 years, I was still willing to take it on.

To answer your question, I am in the field of law. As Malaysia is a 'mixed law' legal system according to the accreditation body, I was assigned to write and pass 8 law subjects. This can be done at my own time within 5 years of the assessment. Currently I'm still working on this stage, but since I have gotten a job at a solo practitioner's firm, I am learning a lot as I work everyday, and I have also secured my 'articling' position, which is a mandatory 1 year 'internship' type of period under a qualified lawyer. But I know a lot of foreign trained lawyers here who having completed their required exams, but are still hunting for this articling position. It's not easy to find as it is basically a job-hunt and you are competing with local law graduates who are obviously preferred. Having said that, hundreds and thousands of professional immigrants have made it before me, my current boss included. It's just a question of how far you are willing to go and how much you are willing to sacrifice to achieve your goals.
Interesting! Thanks for sharing. It's a really nice country to live in as long as we are clear of what we are doing it for. Anyway, will shoot you a message if I ever visit Calgary.
Kyu
post Dec 19 2019, 01:32 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(jouhaiichi_gou @ Nov 26 2019, 03:19 AM)

Thanks for sharing, would you mind clarifying if you get points in education or working experience for EE?
I always thought EE is impossible unless you have a Canada accredited degree.
jouhaiichi_gou
post Dec 20 2019, 01:37 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(Kyu @ Dec 19 2019, 01:32 PM)
Thanks for sharing, would you mind clarifying if you get points in education or working experience for EE?
I always thought EE is impossible unless you have a Canada accredited degree.
Hi Kyu,

EE is totally open to those who have never been to Canada before, like me. EE has a system where you will given points for different aspects of your profile - age, education, working experience, English proficiency. If you have Canadian education, then you are given points based on that. But if you have a 'foreign' education like me, then you need to take an extra step where you send it to an assessment agency (eg. WES) where they will assess your foreign education and give an assessment of what is the 'Canadian equivalent' of those qualifications are. In my case my degree from a Malaysian university was assessed as a "Canadian Equivalency - 4 year bachelors degree" and my masters from another Malaysian university was assessed as "Canadian Equivalency - Master's Degree".

If you are interested to start an EE Profile, and see where what CRS point you might get, I'm more than happy to assist. It's a pretty straightforward process once you familiarize yourself with the CIC website. As a start, without spending any money, we can look into the CRS calculator tool using an estimated IELTS score as well as an estimate of your academic qualification.

But basically TLDR, a 'good candidate' for EE would be:

1. Good English - you'll need a valid IELTS result of 7777 or more to get most points.
2. Academic qualification - degree is good, a masters will give you more points, a PhD will give you max points for this factor.
3. At least 1 year continuous work in your 'field' - max points for 3 years or more
4. You have enough cash to bring to Canada - 13k CAD for single person, it goes up if you are bringing spouse , and more if you have kids. Basically they want you to land with enough funds to manage yourself while you are getting settled.

Hope that helps and good luck in your research. DM me if you think I can help biggrin.gif I did my EE application by myself with help and guidance from the internet. Don't waste money on consultants or lawyers, if you have good English that's all you need to navigate the process. There are also plenty of guidelines and tips from forums like those on Canadavisa.com. Right now EE-Federal Skilled Worker seem to have pretty high cut off points, but they might come down again. Also there are plenty of programs to look into such as the provincial nomination programs which will give you that extra 600 points, as well as the new Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot that was just announced yesterday. (Don't be put off by the name of the program, one of the communities listed is Claresholm, AB which is a town 1.5 hours SOUTH of Calgary.)

Kyu
post Dec 20 2019, 07:22 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(jouhaiichi_gou @ Dec 20 2019, 01:37 AM)
Hi Kyu,

EE is totally open to those who have never been to Canada before, like me. EE has a system where you will given points for different aspects of your profile - age, education, working experience, English proficiency. If you have Canadian education, then you are given points based on that. But if you have a 'foreign' education like me, then you need to take an extra step where you send it to an assessment agency (eg. WES) where they will assess your foreign education and give an assessment of what is the 'Canadian equivalent' of those qualifications are. In my case my degree from a Malaysian university was assessed as a "Canadian Equivalency - 4 year bachelors degree" and my masters from another Malaysian university was assessed as "Canadian Equivalency - Master's Degree".

If you are interested to start an EE Profile, and see where what CRS point you might get, I'm more than happy to assist. It's a pretty straightforward process once you familiarize yourself with the CIC website. As a start, without spending any money, we can look into the CRS calculator tool using an estimated IELTS score as well as an estimate of your academic qualification.

But basically TLDR, a 'good candidate' for EE would be:

1. Good English - you'll need a valid IELTS result of 7777 or more to get most points.
2. Academic qualification - degree is good, a masters will give you more points, a PhD will give you max points for this factor.
3. At least 1 year continuous work in your 'field' - max points for 3 years or more
4. You have enough cash to bring to Canada - 13k CAD for single person, it goes up if you are bringing spouse , and more if you have kids. Basically they want you to land with enough funds to manage yourself while you are getting settled.

Hope that helps and good luck in your research. DM me if you think I can help biggrin.gif I did my EE application by myself with help and guidance from the internet. Don't waste money on consultants or lawyers, if you have good English that's all you need to navigate the process. There are also plenty of guidelines and tips from forums like those on Canadavisa.com. Right now EE-Federal Skilled Worker seem to have pretty high cut off points, but they might come down again. Also there are plenty of programs to look into such as the provincial nomination programs which will give you that extra 600 points, as well as the new Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot that was just announced yesterday. (Don't be put off by the name of the program, one of the communities listed is Claresholm, AB which is a town 1.5 hours SOUTH of Calgary.)
Thanks for the clarification, master degree is the difference.
I barely made 440 points with 9999 IELTS result, thus my question.
I might try to get a degree or master in Canadian College.
Thank you again for taking the time to a lengthy reply.
jouhaiichi_gou
post Dec 21 2019, 12:33 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(Kyu @ Dec 20 2019, 07:22 PM)
The current trend is really high right now, circa 470's. When I qualified back in 2017 my score was just 459, but the trend was in the 440s. I'm guessing the program is gaining popularity as more people around the world is becoming aware of it.

If you have means to get a placement in a Canadian college/uni and can afford the expenses, I say go for it. After you get a degree or master's here in Canada, you may be qualified for a 2 year Post Graduate Work Permit, after which you will qualify to apply for Express Entry under the Canadian Experience Class. However, when choosing your institution for higher education, make sure they are listed under the CIC's list of institution that would entitle you to that 2 years PGWP (make sure the program you choose qualify too).

Also if you are going by this route, please keep in mind that when you are applying for a student's visa you have to demonstrate that you intend to return after you finished your program i.e. you CAN'T show your intention to permanently immigrate if you are applying for a student's visa, as they might not approve your student's visa. It's a weird rule when you think about how PGWP is a thing, but it's just the way it is.

Alternatively, you can still put a profile up in EE (would only cost you IELTS and ECA assessment), even with a score in the 440s you can try to supplement that score with a Provincial Nomination, or you might get invited when the scores fall lower again. It might still go down, but if you don't have a profile up in the EE pool then you will miss out. Keep in mind there are always new programs/pilot programs that may be introduced in the future, so even if you don't see any possible routes now, keep checking in and see if any new programs might suit you.
klein
post Dec 21 2019, 03:55 AM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(Kyu @ Dec 20 2019, 07:22 PM)
It is not always a wise decision to get a master degree from a Canadian university for the purpose of increasing your points. A lot PhD or masters candidates are struggling to find employment after graduation because companies would rather go for those undergraduate degree holders. These undergrads are typically young, have arrived in Canada at the age of 18-20 and in some instances, have gained valid Canadian work experiences through co-op placement. I am not saying that it is impossible but you have to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, your goals, and your expectations.

If you are in the tech startup business, some fast-track programs are available. Likewise, it is possible to apply for jobs from outside of Canada to be eligible for some other provincial immigration programs without having to go through EE. You have to do more research.
alohanetflix P
post Jan 10 2020, 12:01 PM

Probation
11 posts

QUOTE(Secruoser @ Nov 6 2015, 09:21 AM)
Anyone has experience or information regarding immigration to Canada?

I'm early 30's and planning to immigrate with my wife there. The plan is to immigrate and become business owner there. How much money do I need?

Thanks!
Hi, did you manage to migrate? Are you in Canada now?
halouwalk
post Jan 22 2020, 01:29 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(jouhaiichi_gou @ Nov 16 2019, 06:21 AM)
3. Overall experience is 10/10 would do it again if I have to. My worst fear was not adjusting to the cold, but surprisingly I very quickly overcame it and I got used to it pretty well. But my goal for immigration is not financial, so I'm pretty happy sitting at a lower position than I was in Malaysia. I've seen a lot of people struggle with this. Don't expect your job to translate equally after immigration in a short time. You will get there at some point, but it will take quite a few years and you will need to be patient and very hardworking.

Personally my quality of life have improved 500%?? compared to living in KL. There are more things to enjoy and I can afford them even though technically I'm not earning as high as I was when I was in KL. Some Egs: I can afford to rent a whole apartment here vs I shared a house with roomates in KL, my car here is fully paid for vs my car in KL was on loan, I have spare money to send home/save vs barely making it meet in KL, I can go walk/jog in the parks no fear of getting robbed/killed/raped, my home don't have to have grill bar windows just to deter thieves, air is cleaner, river is not polluted, recycling and sorting garbage is implemented - I could go on but these are just a few things that strike me the most.
Thanks a lot for sharing and providing this great insight! Even though you had to do survival jobs, you still said this move improved your quality of life by 500% and you would do that again. This is amazing! I am now in the same boat of going through the EE application. I am in my 40's, so my age doesn't help me in points. My wife strongly believes that Canada is a much better country for our kids. I put in my EE in June 2019, but has yet to receive a response. My score was just above the cut off, and I don't have a Canadian degree or a Canadian job offer. BTW, I am in IT. To increase my chances, I have been intermittently applying for Canadian jobs remotely for 5 months now, but have not received any favourable response to date. I guess this is a chicken and egg problem. Without a permit/PR or local work experience, Canadian employers are being a bit conservative. I have also applied through one PNP (provincial program) with Saskatchewan, hoping to increase my chances.

Do you feel I should do anything more to improve my chances? Thank you once again.
jouhaiichi_gou
post Jan 25 2020, 07:27 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(halouwalk @ Jan 22 2020, 01:29 PM)
Thanks a lot for sharing and providing this great insight! Even though you had to do survival jobs, you still said this move improved your quality of life by 500% and you would do that again. This is amazing! I am now in the same boat of going through the EE application. I am in my 40's, so my age doesn't help me in points. My wife strongly believes that Canada is a much better country for our kids. I put in my EE in June 2019, but has yet to receive a response. My score was just above the cut off, and I don't have a Canadian degree or a Canadian job offer. BTW, I am in IT. To increase my chances, I have been intermittently applying for Canadian jobs remotely for 5 months now, but have not received any favourable response to date. I guess this is a chicken and egg problem. Without a permit/PR or local work experience, Canadian employers are being a bit conservative. I have also applied through one PNP (provincial program) with Saskatchewan, hoping to increase my chances.

Do you feel I should do anything more to improve my chances? Thank you once again.
Hi Halouwalk, congratulations on taking your first steps. I saw the recent draw, the scores are really high right now, the most recent one being 471. If you can get a PNP that will be the best as the 600 points will mean automatic invitation in the next round.

Another program you can look at is the Pilot Rural and Northern Communities, other than that there's really not much else to do other than hope that the scores will come down soon. How are your IELTS? If your scores are less than the max, maybe consider giving it another try to gain a few more points, I believe max is scoring 7-8-8-8, but please research to verify.

Do DM me if you want to talk more specifics. I would love to assist in any way possible.
captivesim
post Mar 6 2020, 05:26 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

Anyone has migrated recently? please share how you did it?
definitely a dupe P
post Jun 9 2020, 11:59 AM

Probation
0 posts

Putting my current mid term migration plan for comments

background
married 36 with 2 kids
non canadian bachelors degree

as you can see i'm on the wrong side of 30 and the points are going down fast. currently i should have around 400 which is no way enough.

So my 5 year plan is as follows. enroll alone in a masters next 1-2 years, followed by PGWP for another 2-3 years. which should give me a point of 480 or 490.

While on PGWP i will also try to secure a LMIA job for extra 200 points or PNP for extra 600 points. Failing both i should still make the cut off at 480/490

Sponsor family across either during PGWP or after PR depending on finances.

other than failing to graduate/failing to get a job/government policy change, what risks am i missing?

kai91
post Jun 10 2020, 11:44 AM

33 posts

QUOTE(definitely a dupe @ Jun 9 2020, 11:59 AM)
Putting my current mid term migration plan for comments

background
married 36 with 2 kids
non canadian bachelors degree

as you can see i'm on the wrong side of 30 and the points are going down fast. currently i should have around 400 which is no way enough.

So my 5 year plan is as follows. enroll alone in a masters next 1-2 years, followed by PGWP for another 2-3 years. which should give me a point of 480 or 490.

While on PGWP i will also try to secure a LMIA job for extra 200 points or PNP for extra 600 points. Failing both i should still make the cut off at 480/490

Sponsor family across either during PGWP or after PR depending on finances.

other than failing to graduate/failing to get a job/government policy change, what risks am i missing?
Seems like a solid plan for me. Depending on your finance, your family can move with you while you're doing your master. You can take up some work at uni (limited hours), and your spouse can work too (if taking care of kids is not an issue).

Also when applying for PR I believe you have to list all your family, so when everything is approved and you got the PR, they would gain their PR with you, no sponsorship needed.
definitely a dupe P
post Jun 10 2020, 12:15 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(kai91 @ Jun 10 2020, 11:44 AM)
Seems like a solid plan for me. Depending on your finance, your family can move with you while you're doing your master. You can take up some work at uni (limited hours), and your spouse can work too (if taking care of kids is not an issue).

Also when applying for PR I believe you have to list all your family, so when everything is approved and you got the PR, they would gain their PR with you, no sponsorship needed.
Thanks. My I think my kids are still too young and moving my family there during masters period may be too taxing on the finance. Wife can work but probably can't in order to take care of the kids as I think the child care there will be very expensive. I m also unsure if I can secure meaningful part time work instead of minimum wage part time work.

For PGWP family can only get their visa after you secured your job. For PR not sure. Probably I apply only for myself (to max points) then sponsor them after secure

Tagging sifu @klein @jouhaiichi_gou as well

6 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0209sec    0.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:12 AM