Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Medical Conditions Moisturizer / Emollient for Eczema?

views

TSAL12
post Aug 27 2015, 03:39 PM, updated 9y ago

24 posts

I have had eczema for a long time and I haven't really found one that's suitable for me. I tried Cetaphil Restoraderm based on online reviews, but it costs a lot and stings like HELL. At first I thought it was normal, but I later learned that I should find a moisturizer or emollient that doesn't sting.

I also tried Rosken and it didn't sting, but it doesn't feel very moisturizing.. At least it didn't sting though.

Any ideas and recommendations? Would help me a lot since my skin is dry and itchy all the time, especially with haze now! ;_;
esaykay
post Aug 28 2015, 08:17 AM

19 posts

My sis in law uses MooGoo mixed with something else and finds it amazing. My Dad used to use MooGoo too and it worked for him.
samowong
post Aug 28 2015, 08:50 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

Try the Physiogel series. Commonly recommended by docs for eczema and dry skin.
It's quite pricey though, about rm50 for 75mls of cream. If possible, go for Physiogel AI that has anti-inflammatory properties that should address your eczema problem

Ezerra is another good range. Though locally produced, it's quite good but pricey too.

Both Physiogel and Ezerra do not contain steroids. So, don't expect immediate resolution of the eczema.
OvenBaked
post Aug 28 2015, 01:46 PM

Hurricane
726 posts

Try Sebamed product line http://www.sebamed.com
TSAL12
post Aug 28 2015, 05:42 PM

24 posts

Thanks guys, I'll look into the suggestions. Physiogel is too expensive for me (I have eczema over large area) but I'll keep it in mind.

Maybe I'll try natural product for once.
Dark8870
post Aug 28 2015, 06:02 PM

Casual
309 posts

You can also try "Nourish Naturals Eczema and Psoriasis Cream". I find it very potent for my 2 year old. Cetaphil Restoraderm for both bath and moisturizer.
Salcura Zeoderm also was helpful.
But 1 medication may work for one person but not necessary another. So, what I mentioned are only based on my experience. You can try them out if you like.
Having eczema can be very torturing. Steroids help, but it tends to worsen the condition and you get bad withdrawal symptoms. It's like an analogy of opium for the skin....
TSAL12
post Aug 28 2015, 06:04 PM

24 posts

QUOTE(Dark8870 @ Aug 28 2015, 06:02 PM)
You can also try "Nourish Naturals Eczema and Psoriasis Cream". I find it very potent for my 2 year old. Cetaphil Restoraderm for both bath and moisturizer.
But 1 medication may work for one person but not necessary another. So, what I mentioned are only based on my experience. You can try them out if you like.
Having eczema can be very torturing. Steroids help, but it tends to worsen the condition and you get bad withdrawal symptoms. It's like an analogy of opium for the skin....
Thanks. My experience with Restoraderm moisturizer was pretty bad, it really stings for me. Also I wish my dermatologist told me about the withdrawal symptoms and proper usage for steroid cream, I found out myself the hard way. sad.gif
LazyKurosaki
post Aug 30 2015, 07:50 PM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

I'm currently using a lotion that is made from USA since my eczema is really bad. Its abit exp i think but one time u apply, it actually can last the whole day or until u wash ur hand or bath. I think its a pretty good product.

It doesn't sting like other type of lotion. It feels comfortable. The product name is "Renew Intensive Skin Therapy"

Website : http://www.melaleuca.com/ProductStore/Product?sku=3600

My mom got it from SG. There also have for body wash but after I use, it feels very dry. So I suggest u get the lotion only not the body wash
kenlch
post Aug 30 2015, 08:39 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(AL12 @ Aug 28 2015, 06:04 PM)
Thanks. My experience with Restoraderm moisturizer was pretty bad, it really stings for me. Also I wish my dermatologist told me about the withdrawal symptoms and proper usage for steroid cream, I found out myself the hard way. sad.gif
Try MooGoo Soothing lotion 270g@RM109 and Irritable Skin Balm 120g@RM79. Many KL pharmacies selling, just go to MooGoo Malaysia page to search nearest one if u stay in KL, if no, order online. I'm using it and it is definitely not stinging, if it stings, u could be allergic to it.
nujikabane
post Aug 31 2015, 08:51 AM

United We Stand
3,212 posts

QUOTE(Dark8870 @ Aug 28 2015, 06:02 PM)
What are the withdrawal symptoms?
Dark8870
post Sep 1 2015, 09:18 AM

Casual
309 posts

QUOTE(nujikabane @ Aug 31 2015, 08:51 AM)
What are the withdrawal symptoms?
No doubt after using steroids your skin will recover at a miraculous rate. But a while after stopping its usage, the condition will return and may be in even worse condition. Then you find yourself dependant on steroid usage for the rest of your life. Not only that, but as time goes on, skin condition will become worst, and you'll find yourself getting more and more stronger steroids as it goes on.
nujikabane
post Sep 3 2015, 07:57 AM

United We Stand
3,212 posts

^ Oh Gosh, didn't know the effect of using steroid to the skin.
I would need to check my lotion and ensure no steroid are in it.

By the way, on top of the topical cream, I would suggest consuming Evening Primrose Oil as well. It would help to get clean and unblemished skin.
Lord_Penguin
post Sep 6 2015, 07:39 AM

Getting Started
210 posts

Just sharing my experience.

I used to have serious eczema all over my body, and tried quite number types of products (regardless from doctor or got recommended or self explore) to suit myself. When I was small like 8, my mum experimented me with traditional method, apply ginger with limestone paste / kapur, the eczema part will be super sting but effectively will dry on the next day, but due to active in sports, my eczema off and on, and under control. I applied the ginger until a stage (less than a month) I told my mum I no longer can tahan the sting, so went to doctor and tried some creams (can't recall what type as it was during primary school age), well at least under control at that time until age of 9. From 9 to secondary school, may consider my eczema goes off. However when in uni time, the eczema came back from no where, then I tried on MooGoo (can't recall exactly which type), it is effective but the recovery is somehow very slow. Then I started using Elomet as recommended by my aunt (grab from pharmacy), it is super effective to me, for instance, apply morning then afternoon will dry thumbup.gif If not mistaken, Elomet has steroid, do correct me if I'm wrong. I used less than half tube and eczema gone.

Now considering myself as a working freshie, I'm still active in sports, I control my eczema (now rarely happen, even so, will be super minor) by showering cold water (no concern about soap). If skin dry, will just apply aqueous cream. Other than that, since primary, I will try my best to avoid eating foods that are allergic to me, like egg, prawn and shrimp, as it will trigger eczema. I think this is quite important as well? laugh.gif

However until recent years, I got nightmare hunted by psoriasis, currently under medication that is depending on cream and ointment, trying to control without steriod... cry.gif Doctors keep telling me that my case is not serious as can be controlled easily, but I find it very irritating cry.gif
esaykay
post Sep 14 2015, 10:07 AM

19 posts

They say diet is most important.. I use a combination of virgin coconut oil, elementz magnesium oil and dmso (not available locally though so dont want to do once my stash runs out). Has helped me maybe 50%. Need to try out MooGoo next. My SIL used it in combination of the above and said she found results (100% healed) within the week.
Ramjade
post Sep 14 2015, 05:26 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

Your elementz magnesium oil is smaller and much more expensive than what I can provide.
mrslim80
post Dec 7 2015, 12:59 PM

45 posts

you may use pine tar soap for bathing (with cold water, never hot water) 2-3 times per day and after that apply pure shea butter. This works for me.
alhelmy
post Dec 7 2015, 02:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,620 posts

QUOTE(AL12 @ Aug 28 2015, 05:42 PM)
Thanks guys, I'll look into the suggestions. Physiogel is too expensive for me (I have eczema over large area) but I'll keep it in mind.

Maybe I'll try natural product for once.
If you want cheap ones, try Johnson Baby lotion or oil. Also try Nivea.

Otherwise, you may want to specify your budget for better suggestion.

TSAL12
post Dec 15 2015, 07:23 PM

24 posts

Just an update: I'm using Moogoo now and it definitely doesn't sting. My eczema is somewhat under control now as long as I moisturize often after shower and don't eat seafood. Haha
mrslim80
post Dec 16 2015, 01:19 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(AL12 @ Dec 15 2015, 07:23 PM)
Just an update: I'm using Moogoo now and it definitely doesn't sting. My eczema is somewhat under control now as long as I moisturize often after shower and don't eat seafood. Haha
glad that you find something work for you. How much is the moogoo u used? I used pure shea butter less than 80, good thing that it is multipurpose, can use for skin care, hair care, sunburn etc besides for eczema. The soap is much much cheaper and i use for daily showering until now.
wu ming
post Feb 11 2016, 03:46 PM

Regular
1,143 posts

QUOTE(AL12 @ Dec 15 2015, 07:23 PM)
It is an indicator that your skin is damaged when it sting. It would take some time for it to recover.

It is best that you permanently avoid offensive food that are known to cause eczema.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0192sec    0.34    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:09 PM