Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Please recommend me luthier/ violin workshop

views

TSteckho
post Jun 28 2015, 08:27 AM, updated 9y ago

24 posts

I bought a violin online.. and I feel like its smth not right, So I need some expert to check through of it. Does anyone know is there any good violin luthiers or workshop from KL that charge reasonable, Tq
ariffdude
post Jun 28 2015, 02:33 PM

On my way
628 posts

Amadeus Violin Shop
14B-3 & 4 (second and third floor)
Jalan 14/20, 46100
Petaling Jaya,
Selangor, Malaysia.

Tel: 603-7958-2858
Mobile : 019-3103631 (Text only )

Opening time :
12 noon to 8 pm (Monday to Friday )
9am to 6pm (Saturday )
Closed on Sunday and Public Holiday
Other time by Appointment only.
Dbassnut
post Jul 6 2015, 01:22 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

I'd recommend Ong Ket Wei if you're in KL.

www.oliutaio.com

https://www.facebook.com/ongliutaio/info?tab=page_info

He has training as a luthier & is a very nice guy.
ariffdude
post Jul 6 2015, 01:44 PM

On my way
628 posts

QUOTE(Dbassnut @ Jul 6 2015, 01:22 PM)
I'd recommend Ong Ket Wei if you're in KL.

www.oliutaio.com

https://www.facebook.com/ongliutaio/info?tab=page_info

He has training as a luthier & is a very nice guy.
He trained in Cremona wei, under masters. Then summore the stuff he's selling, for example bows, starting price is 5k. So yeah, I'm sure his services doesn't come cheap, but I'm sure he's the best in Malaysia.
ciwi1166
post Jul 7 2015, 05:40 AM

~~~Prestissimo~~~
2,254 posts

QUOTE(ariffdude @ Jul 6 2015, 01:44 PM)
He trained in Cremona wei, under masters. Then summore the stuff he's selling, for example bows, starting price is 5k. So yeah, I'm sure his services doesn't come cheap, but I'm sure he's the best in Malaysia.
bow alone 5k..? sweat.gif
ariffdude
post Jul 7 2015, 09:32 AM

On my way
628 posts

QUOTE(ciwi1166 @ Jul 7 2015, 05:40 AM)
bow alone 5k..?  sweat.gif
Yeah you better believe it. If I'm not mistaken the price of Italian violins are normally starting at USD 10k, so it's normal la to match it up with a premium bow. RM 5k is a start.

So yeah when I got into the violin world, I was shocked by the prices too. Custom Shop guitars got nothing on it. I guess because violin are like fine watches, I don't really understand why it's so expensive. But fret not, contrary to the guitar world, China made violins are very good and excellent for the money if you wish to start.
Dbassnut
post Jul 13 2015, 09:44 AM

Getting Started
293 posts

Why not just go ask him? He is quite a nice guy. I've asked around on how much he would charge to set up a doublebass & his price is reasonable.
By the way, he uses good quality aged wood for his repairs which may explain why he is a little more expensive than another instrument repairer who is using cheap scrap wood.

As for instruments, note that pricing is no indication of quality. Doesn't mean that the instrument is good. I've seen some shops selling poor quality instruments for a very high price. I've played a doublebass going for RM11k at one of the shops here. My friend's 3k student model double bass sounded much better. You have to play it yourself to see if it is really worth the price.

If you are a beginner, get a teacher that you trust to evaluate the instrument. Or if you already know how to play, try the instrument out.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0147sec    0.34    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:18 PM